• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PieOMy

Nov 15, 2018
Boston
I bought an LG G1 the other day and it is coming this weekend. Looking forward to using it for both PC and PS5.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
VSX-531, the only thing I found on google says it doesn't 'do' VRR but it does passthrough 4k and hdr10 so I'm not sure how VRR would or wouldn't work.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
VSX-531, the only thing I found on google says it doesn't 'do' VRR but it does passthrough 4k and hdr10 so I'm not sure how VRR would or wouldn't work.
It passes through 4k/60, not 4k/120, which is HDMI 2.1. Doesn't look like your receiver does eARC either. So you have three options, really:

1) Plug the consoles direct to the TV and use ARC to get audio to the receiver. This will get you all video features, but audio will be limited to lossy 5.1 or lossless 2.0

2) Plug consoles into the receiver and then go to the TV from there. You'll get all audio features, but you'll lose HDMI 2.1 features (VRR / ALLM / 4k/120 / Dolby Vision).

3) Invest in a sharc adapter. This allows you to get full HDMI 2.1 features by plugging your console direct into your TV, then converting the eARC output from the TV into an input on your receiver. It's a bit tricky, but we have a nice thread on it.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
The Yamaha A2A received its HDMI 2.1 update, so hopefully that means my A6A isn't far behind. Once I get that and the PS5 updates, I'll be in VRR heaven.
I have a stack of cash dedicated to buying the A6A the second early adopters have confirmed they don't have any serious bugs when the firmware hits.

Feb 16, 2022
I don't know if this is too off-topic, but is last year's Sony X90HJ more than good enough for PS5 HDR gaming? Or am I better off getting the more expensive LG C1, even if money's a concern?

I couldn't find an active TV thread, and the one I posted in hasn't seen a reply for a while, so I thought I'll just ask here.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
It passes through 4k/60, not 4k/120, which is HDMI 2.1. Doesn't look like your receiver does eARC either. So you have three options, really:

1) Plug the consoles direct to the TV and use ARC to get audio to the receiver. This will get you all video features, but audio will be limited to lossy 5.1 or lossless 2.0

2) Plug consoles into the receiver and then go to the TV from there. You'll get all audio features, but you'll lose HDMI 2.1 features (VRR / ALLM / 4k/120 / Dolby Vision).

3) Invest in a sharc adapter. This allows you to get full HDMI 2.1 features by plugging your console direct into your TV, then converting the eARC output from the TV into an input on your receiver. It's a bit tricky, but we have a nice thread on it.

thanks, that's helpful. I only have a PS5 (and an Apple TV) to worry about when it comes to anything beyond 1080p era stuff, so I think I'll stop being lazy and plug them both into my TV and then send the audio to my AVR. I only have 3.1 speakers because of my living room setup and I use headphones on my PS5 and on my Apple TV for movies or things where I care about the audio.

Jun 10, 2018
I don't know if this is too off-topic, but is last year's Sony X90HJ more than good enough for PS5 HDR gaming? Or am I better off getting the more expensive LG C1, even if money's a concern?

I couldn't find an active TV thread, and the one I posted in hasn't seen a reply for a while, so I thought I'll just ask here.
If you have the money then get the LG C1. I have the Sony x900H and wish I would have waited for the C1 and spent a little extra for it. But my case is a little different with the whole thing about the x900H's "4K120 blur" mode. And I was out of my return period by the time the 4K120 update came out for it. But anyway, the LG C1 would offer superior picture quality to either of the Sony X90 models.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017

The answer to both questions is probably yes.

I hope you're meaning the X90J, I wouldn't say the same about the X90H.
The X90J is decent, the C1 is better. Is it worth getting the latter? Lot of it depends on your finances and what you care about. A lot of people on here, are going to say the C1 is definitely worth the price differential.

Feb 16, 2022
The answer to both questions is probably yes.

I hope you're meaning the X90J, I wouldn't say the same about the X90H.
The X90J is decent, the C1 is better. Is it worth getting the latter? Lot of it depends on your finances and what you care about. A lot of people on here, are going to say the C1 is definitely worth the price differential.
I thought I deleted the H lol. Yeah I meant the X90J.

But if I end up not being able to get a C1, X90J is decent, you say? It will do HDR just fine, and can display up to 4K120 from what I read?

I did some research and the X90J seems to be one of the cheapest option if I want real HDR, but with how fickle HDR is on cheaper options, I'm still somewhat worried that the X90J is still not "real" enough for HDR.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
I thought I deleted the H lol. Yeah I meant the X90J.

But if I end up not being able to get a C1, X90J is decent, you say? It will do HDR just fine, and can display up to 4K120 from what I read?

I did some research and the X90J seems to be one of the cheapest option if I want real HDR, but with how fickle HDR is on cheaper options, I'm still somewhat worried that the X90J is still not "real" enough for HDR.
X90j HDR is really great. But you should wait for VRR reviews as it disables flad in most tv and that affects HDR a lot.

Feb 16, 2022
X90j HDR is really great. But you should wait for VRR reviews as it disables flad in most tv and that affects HDR a lot.
Thank you, I will be sure to look it up again once VRR is available. I'm not planning to get one until later this year. Am I safe to assume that this year's models aren't likely to have one that's cheaper/as cheap as the X90J while being as good/better?

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you, I will be sure to look it up again once VRR is available. I'm not planning to get one until later this year. Am I safe to assume that this year's models aren't likely to have one that's cheaper/as cheap as the X90J while being as good/better?
There will be a model replacing it called x90k which will be better and x95k which will be mini led more expensive but best tv besides oled. You may even get x85k or x80k which will be rebranded x90j but at a cheaper price. This is if you are only interested in sony offerings

Oct 25, 2017
This year's model may be about the same price with marginal quality improvements, but importantly they will ship with VRR rather than adding it via firmware update, or so Sony has claimed. I would wait for impressions of how well it's implemented before I made a choice.

Feb 16, 2022
I have an X90J and really like it
There will be a model replacing it called x90k which will be better and x95k which will be mini led more expensive but best tv besides oled. You may even get x85k or x80k which will be rebranded x90j but at a cheaper price. This is if you are only interested in sony offerings
This year's model may be about the same price with marginal quality improvements, but importantly they will ship with VRR rather than adding it via firmware update, or so Sony has claimed. I would wait for impressions of how well it's implemented before I made a choice.
Thanks for the answers!

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Isnt something like the new Denon S760H an option? They seem pretty affordable. The S660H is even a bit cheaper (5.1)

AVR-S760H | Denon

AVR-S760H
The thing I like about the Yamaha A2A/A4A/A6A/A8A line is the fact that all HDMI inputs are HDMI 2.1. I only upgrade receivers every 10 years or so, so I want something that's gonna last me a long time. 3 inputs probably won't cut it in the future.

I think 7.1 setup means you loose 2 channels if you want atmos so down to 5.1.2 right. Reason I want 9.1.2 is I can still keep my standard 7.1 with many setup and use ceiling fire speakers when needed.

Yes, that's pretty much exactly what it means.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
The thing I like about the Yamaha A2A/A4A/A6A/A8A line is the fact that all HDMI inputs are HDMI 2.1. I only upgrade receivers every 10 years or so, so I want something that's gonna last me a long time. 3 inputs probably won't cut it in the future.

Yes, that's pretty much exactly what it means.

Ah yeah, thats fair enough. I'm eying an 'affordable' upgrade myself (still rocking a Pioneer VSX-528 thats almost 10yrs old now). 3x hdm2.1/8K inputs would be sufficient for me for quite some years (only device that might actually use that feature set is a PS5 or potential followup). The A2A is nice as well but almost two times as expensive here :(

KC-Slater

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
I just received a 75" X90J. Finishing some renovations prior to wall mounting it. Hoping that the PS5 VRR update will be ready around the time that I'm ready to start using the TV.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
I can smell a class action lawsuit brewing over the PS5's missing VRR. Pretty ridiculous that it's on the packaging and the marketing website for the console yet it's just a straight up lie with no official mention of the feature from Sony since launch.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand why it hasn't been implemented still this long after launch

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I can smell a class action lawsuit brewing over the PS5's missing VRR. Pretty ridiculous that it's on the packaging and the marketing website for the console yet it's just a straight up lie with no official mention of the feature from Sony since launch.
I am sure it is coming pretty soon being that they are currently rolling VRR updates for the 2021 Sony TV's. Rumors are that 2022 Sony TV's will have it on day 1 as well. With that said, I would assume it should be rolling out for PS5 very soon unless there are some issues with the chipset they have in the PS5.

Agree that the feature being touted before launch, after launch and still marketed now and still not having it is poor on Sony...but TV owners of Sony that have wanted VRR have been waiting for it just as long. There will be no Class Action lawsuits unless Sony does not deliver it at all on the PS5.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
I am sure it is coming pretty soon being that they are currently rolling VRR updates for the 2021 Sony TV's. Rumors are that 2022 Sony TV's will have it on day 1 as well. With that said, I would assume it should be rolling out for PS5 very soon unless there are some issues with the chipset they have in the PS5.

Agree that the feature being touted before launch, after launch and still marketed now and still not having it is poor on Sony...but TV owners of Sony that have wanted VRR have been waiting for it just as long. There will be no Class Action lawsuits unless Sony does not deliver it at all on the PS5.
Edit: misinformation/lack of education in this post 😂

We'll see if they can deliver 4K 120hz HDR with VRR + Uncompressed 7.1 Audio all at the same time with the slow HDMI "2.1" solution they put in their console. It's quite clear they marketed a feature that they cannot properly deliver. I'll be really happy to eat my words but I won't be surprised if we get 1080p 120 VRR only or something lame like that.

Last edited:

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
We'll see if they can deliver 4K 120hz HDR with VRR + Uncompressed 7.1 Audio all at the same time with the slow HDMI "2.1" solution they put in their console. It's quite clear they marketed a feature that they cannot properly deliver. I'll be really happy to eat my words but I won't be surprised if we get 1080p 120 VRR only or something lame like that.

LMAO.

You don't understand HDMI bandwidth.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
LMAO.

You don't understand HDMI bandwidth.
I'm not an expert but that's what I've read and seen discussed by people who claim that they are. Doing all of that at 4:4:4 chroma on a PS5 is going to be nearly or definitely impossible is the claim.

Edit: I do see that VRR doesn't require any bandwidth at all itself so likely isn't even related to the slow port. I guess it's just slow engineers at Sony, if all the hardware is there already what's the issue?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Do we know any of their TV models are still missing VRR?
All 2021 Models have the VRR update rolling out right now. There are many youtube video's of people using and testing it with a PC or Series S/X or Xbox One X. So far, the implementation is pretty good. I have seen video's of people using 4k/120 with VRR without issues.

What we/I don't know is what chipset they used in the PS5 and if it is different that what they used in the TV lineup. That is the only reason why I think is why it is still not out on the PS5. It took them forever to finally get it working on 2021 TV sets, the PS5 is a 2020 product so maybe they are running into some issues, I don't know. I seriously questioned them being able to release VRR on 2021 sets without some compromises, but based on early reviews the implementation is pretty good.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
120hz 4K HDR at 422 is what the PS5 currently does- this is around 26gbps of the 32gbps. I think that leaves a good amount for audio which needs only Mb of data rather than gb.

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not an expert but that's what I've read and seen discussed by people who claim that they are. Doing all of that at 4:4:4 chroma on a PS5 is going to be nearly or definitely impossible is the claim.

People worrying about 444 are the problem.

Most important elements to bandwidth limitations are resolution and framerate.

We already have 4k 120Hz 422. VRR isn't going to hamper that.

Uncompressed Audio / LPCM will not add bandwidth concerns as HDMI has 19 dedicated pins for different channels.

If you want my guess? Sony doesn't like the VRR flicker, and are trying to find ways to mitigate at the console level.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
120hz 4K HDR at 422 is what the PS5 currently does- this is around 26gbps of the 32gbps. I think that leaves a good amount for audio which needs only Mb of data rather than gb.
Thanks for the data. I have been following the VRR situation on PS5 and Sony TV's for a bit, I up until today, I never heard that the issue was a bandwidth issue. In all my research and following all this it just comes down to the chipset they are using "MediaTek" and them being able to get it work up to standards. They just proved they could do it with the 2021 TV models, but as mentioned, we don't or I don't know if they used the same chipset on the PS5.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the data. I have been following the VRR situation on PS5 and Sony TV's for a bit, I up until today, I never heard that the issue was a bandwidth issue. In all my research and following all this it just comes down to the chipset they are using "MediaTek" and them being able to get it work up to standards. They just proved they could do it with the 2021 TV models, but as mentioned, we don't or I don't know if they used the same chipset on the PS5.
Just for clarity - That was the PS5 to which I was referring to sorry - it reports a 32gbps interface.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
All 2021 Models have the VRR update rolling out right now. There are many youtube video's of people using and testing it with a PC or Series S/X or Xbox One X. So far, the implementation is pretty good. I have seen video's of people using 4k/120 with VRR without issues.

What we/I don't know is what chipset they used in the PS5 and if it is different that what they used in the TV lineup. That is the only reason why I think is why it is still not out on the PS5. It took them forever to finally get it working on 2021 TV sets, the PS5 is a 2020 product so maybe they are running into some issues, I don't know. I seriously questioned them being able to release VRR on 2021 sets without some compromises, but based on early reviews the implementation is pretty good.
I dont thinking ps5 vrr would be any different than radeon card handling freesync tbh. Its held back probably because they want to make sure it us available on their tv first and step at a time approach.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
Thanks for the clarification 😊. Sounds like it should be technically feasible. Pretty odd that it's so difficult to implement for Sony if the tech is all there though. Are there any other hardware or software requirements that are not immediately obvious but could be an issue?

Dec 15, 2017
I mean it has to be the TV situation right?

No way were they gonna drop it for LG to soak up all the goodwill while Sony TV owner complain and pine for the LG mistress.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017

They're not using the same chipset.

The PS5 is using the Panasonic MN864739 whereas the TV issues were due to the MediaTek MT5895.

The likely reason why Sony hasn't rolled it out on the PS5, is because the TVs have had troubles rolling out VRR. They rolled out ALLM for the TVs and the PS5 for example. Not because the PS5 is having some troubles getting VRR to work. And similarly here, the feature is supposed to arrive in the next few weeks on PS5, according to HDTVTest, assuming he's correct there. I'm not sure if he was guessing. I'm assuming he heard something definitive.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
How big of a difference is YUV422 vs full 4:4:4 RGB (assuming i haven't butchered any of that)?

It's satisfying reading 120hz/Freesync/10 bit RGB on the Series X (lol) vs 120hz/FIXED/8 bit YUV422 on the PS5 whenever you launch 120hz hdr content

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
FreeSync and HDMI VRR are not the same though and are two different ways of doing the same thing.

Is one better than the other?

My LG C1 supports both FreeSync Premium and HDMI VRR. But when using my AVR with my Series X, I lose the former and am left only with the latter as my VRR option. If I go directly into my TV with the Series X, FreeSync is active. I obviously would rather have everything go through my HDMI 2.1 AVR.

But I am curious if I'm costing myself in doing so, in terms of VRR features/performance.