• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Such a shame the PS5 still is missing out in this promised feature

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
What a heartbreaking bump! I thought something had been announced, just in time for Elden Ring's messy framerate. :(

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Fucking sony man. Elden ring is a stutterring mess and VRR should save that game but no, still nothing. I dont even expect them to patch it in at all at this point

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
I wish this thread title was changed slightly. Every time it's bumped I read it like it's been announced until I get to the question mark at the end.

But that's good news that Sony TV's are getting updated. I'm definitely buying a Sony OLED next time.

Last edited:

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
Besides needing Sony releasing its VRR patch for PS5, I am going to need a new AVR that has more than a single HDMI 2.1 input. Ones out now allow for basically zero future proofing.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
i feel like everyone keeps hanging on "once they put it in their tvs, the ps5 update will come!" and its giving sony way too much credit for having coordination between their divisions lol
i think the reality is the teams in charge of playstation firmware(and psn backend stuff) have always been pretty terrible
and its a coincidence that sony's tvs don't have vrr

very happy to be wrong. but im just fucking tired of this. they sold the damn console on a feature that they clearly didnt even have ready

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Besides needing Sony releasing its VRR patch for PS5, I am going to need a new AVR that has more than a single HDMI 2.1 input. Ones out now allow for basically zero future proofing.
The new Yamaha line has all ports HDMI 2.1, but it's in the same "waiting for the HDMI 2.1 update" limbo that the PS5 is stuck in. I have the A6A and it's an amazing receiver.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
VRR + the ability to support 4k/120/RGB would be nice

I know that it's not really noticeable but it's kinda annoying playing 120hz content and the game centre being rendered at 1080p

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
i feel like everyone keeps hanging on "once they put it in their tvs, the ps5 update will come!" and its giving sony way too much credit for having coordination between their divisions lol
They have been coordinating more as of late.
They had the "Perfect for PS5" updates with the TVs/PS5 both getting the updates at about the same time.
Their movie and PlayStation branches have been coordinating more of course.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
anyone looking for a relatively cheap hdmi 2.1 receiver should keep an eye out for a denon S760H
they're 550-600 bucks most places, but costco sells them for 450. you just need to keep an eye on their site because theyre not always in stock

got mine a few months ago and couldnt be happier

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Is this the waiting for adapter or new board or just firmware update?
Just a firmware update. The 2020 line had the botched HDMI implementation which required adapters / sending it in for service to work correctly. The 2021 line has all the necessary hardware, it just needs the update. If I recall from AVSforums, they were waiting for the HDMI 2.1 spec to be fully certified before beginning work on the firmware.

Supposedly it's coming in the next month or so.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017

AVR-S760H | Denon

AVR-S760H

It has 3 and can be had at Costco for less than $500. It uses the new HDMI board, too.
I own it and it works perfectly with PS5/Series X as I have both.
Oh wow, for some reason I thought this model only had 1 when I last looked at it. Thanks for the heads up.

Now to convince the wife to allow me to buy this prior to us finding a house đź‘€

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping 1440p VRR HDR 120Hz through HDMI 2.0 also comes in the same update.................................

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
A90J sounds like its working well with the VRR update based on someone on AVSforums, but will wait for more official stuff.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Is the VRR ass on Sony OLEDs as it is on the 900h apparently? I'm between a Sony or a LG
I read 1 user comment on the AVSforum, he said his Halo infinite on series X works flawlessly in 4K HDR 120hz mode with new VRR udpate. No obvious degradation to image quality. That is the only thing I can find, will wait for HDTVtest analysis, I am sure Vincent is super excited as he paid through his nose to import the Sony Oled from the US.