• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlakStatus

Oct 27, 2017
I want to ask since they didn't go over this specific scenario...

If I put a PS4 disc in the PS5, can I then choose to install to an external? Or will it default to the PS5 SSD?

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Does the Tempest engine still improve audio for 5.1 speaker setups? Since its hardware based and they can process more samples it will benefit all audio right?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
The thirst is real when I pause all the frames of the video including the UI just to stare at it. I need help.

Does the Tempest engine still improve audio for 5.1 speaker setups? Since its hardware based and they can process more samples it will benefit all audio right?

Currently the priority (the 'Gold Standard' as Cerny called it) is headphones, and AFAIK, only those will work with the Tempest Engine at launch. 'Virtual Surround' using TV speakers or soundbars will later, and finally they'll develop a solution for setups for more speakers.

Source.

I'm really curious to see what the different themes are… I think a pure black w/ the sparkles would look really nice on a 4K OLED.

GleefulConcernedFireant-max-1mb.gif

Mmm, HDR sparkles.

Last edited:

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

If I put a PS4 disc in the PS5, can I then choose to install to an external? Or will it default to the PS5 SSD?

erm....on ps4, you can choose a default install location. one would assume it will be the same on ps5.

did nobody explore their system settings on their ps4?

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I'm really curious to see what the different themes are… I think a pure black w/ the sparkles would look really nice on a 4K OLED.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK

If it's like the PS4, then it'll be installed to the "default install location" which you set in settings.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
The only thing that is confusing is regarding trophies. Do I need to do anything to sync my account? Is it not as simple as logging into PS5 and all my previous trophies just appear, seamlessly?

I ask because I think Greg Miller or someone mentioned something about transfering trophies.

Managing your library and save data seems super easy though.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
The only thing that is confusing is regarding trophies. Do I need to do anything to sync my account? Is it not as simple as logging into PS5 and all my previous trophies just appear, seamlessly?

I ask because I think Greg Miller or someone mentioned something about transfering trophies.

Managing your library and save data seems super easy though.

???

why is it confusing? trophies are online tied to the account so it's standard across all playstation.

i sign on my ps4 day one and my ps3 and vita trophies are there.

what is there to even be confused about trophies?

is there really a need to clarify EVERYTHING?

next, people will be asking that whether is there a need to sync psn id passwords /s

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
???

why is it confusing? trophies are online tied to the account so it's standard across all playstation.

That is what I am asking, if there was some extra step I was unaware of. As far as I know, regardless of whether you log into ps4 or ps5, they should appear seamlessly. But as I said I heard that there was an extra step.

I just explained it in my previous, did you even read it beyond the word confusing? I literally said that folks have said there is a step regarding transfering them. That is why I am asking about it. To double check.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Recommended settings are nice, but I refuse to used it. Going through the options/setting of a new game before I play it is a must for me.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
A big chunk of the processing is so they can apply the hrtf positioning to the in game sounds. There will no doubt be more dynamic sound objects and better audio processing, so I imagine there will be benefits, but ultimately the best way to play is going to be with headphones as they can do things you simply can't do with speakers

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No plan to get a PS5 any time soon, but there are some really cool things that Sony is doing on the software side. Presets and quick actions are both really cool ideas that seem to be done quite well.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
These are great. Just installed the PS app while watching the first video and thing is slick.

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
Great to hear you can transfer save games via USB stick. I don't have PS Plus on my main account but on another account on my console which means I can play online on all accounts, but I can't use the cloud saves feature on my main account. So being able to simply transfer those saves via USB is great.

I'll probably just re-download the PS4 games I want to have on the PS5, but good to know that I could also transfer them directly to the console. Also pretty awesome that this process happens in the background so you can still use the PS5.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
That is what I am asking, if there was some extra step I was unaware of. As far as I know, regardless of whether you log into ps4 or ps5, they should appear seamlessly. But as I said I heard that there was an extra step.

I just explained it in my previous, did you even read it beyond the word confusing? I literally said that folks have said there is a step regarding transfering them. That is why I am asking about it. To double check.
There's no extra step. You sync your trophies to PSN.
Download the playstation app on your phone, you'll see your trophies.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Kinda confused on what they mean by 3D Audio settings
Not everyone hears things the same way. It's based off the size and shape of your ear, the size and shape of your head, among other things. Stuff like how the sound resonates through your ear and head.

It's not an important consideration for simply hearing sounds.

But being able to get it right, helps with realism. One way to put it, is it adds dimensionality to sound.

Its especially important for VR. It can help quite a bit in making the sound more realistic and feel like it's coming from a specific location.

Basically it's important for making the sound feel like it's real.

3D audio is of course why it's important for VR.

It's called the head related transfer function. The PS5 has 5 presets, and this is where the "sending the ear pictures to Mark Cerny" jokes came from.
Because he mentioned that a few possibilities to get custom HRTFs for users. We might be sending in pictures of our ears or head, so that Sony could automatically generate a custom HRTF that would be better for you than the presets.

So you can play PS4 games directly off an external HDD/SSD, good to have confirmation.

This was confirmed in March by Cerny.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
if this works as advertised, this is great. I got the impression transferring saves (for instance) would be impossible, but I think this is because devs were often saying they had no online solutions themselves. Seems Sony has thought of this. I also quite like the idea that the console jump isnt such a hard reset.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Gonna try to hook the PS4Pro and PS5 together and just mass transfer everything... but dunno how I'll do it considering I barely have space for the PS5 already lol

If not I'll just re-download everything.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
I will have my PS5 connected to my AV receiver via hdmi. I want to know if I can use 3D Audio via the receiver's headphone jack.

TGR Onix

Nov 3, 2017
I'm not sure if it's been answered, but does anyone know if we can choose what games to install when we do the PS4>PS5 transfer?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
At least I'll save a few seconds signing in using the QR code option lol.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't look like there is a theme setting which is just sad.

So many great themes with amazing background and music are stranded on PS4.

I know... My Tetris Effect theme feels like home. I love having the music and visuals on my screen even when I'm not actively using my PS4 at that moment. To go from that to a quiet image of Astro Bot or whatever will feel kind of... lonely?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
A little surprised the QR code doesn't deeplink to the PS app from the OS - could then do the whole thing from the camera app on ios at least.

Nice to have timer on the USB power confirmed. I'll be running exhaust fans powered from the rear USB so its good I can power them down even if I want to use rest mode

curley

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Has there been any indication that Sony would be modifying how it handles primary v other consoles tied to an account?

As a multi-PlayStation household, I really wish Sony would come up with a proper family sharing system for software.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I know... My Tetris Effect theme feels like home. I love having the music and visuals on my screen even when I'm not actively using my PS4 at that moment. To go from that to a quiet image of Astro Bot or whatever will feel kind of... lonely?

I have the Rez one with this banger

Honestly it's time that they let you totally configure the dashboard with the pics AND music of your want.

Nov 1, 2017
I wonder if we'll see greater support for mouse and keyboard this generation. Both have a dedicated spot in system settings it seems.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Happy to see there's a web browser. Also fantastic that you can still use the PS5 while it's transferring in the background. If it's anything like PS3/4 transfers, they take forever.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
???

is there really a need to clarify EVERYTHING?

next, people will be asking that whether is there a need to sync psn id passwords /s
And then concern trolls are birthed out of things so simple shouldn't even be an issue.

Kurumi

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't look like there is a theme setting which is just sad.

So many great themes with amazing background and music are stranded on PS4.

Well that's disappointing. I would've thought they would of at least have basic background colors to choose from.

I hate that I have to leave all my themes behind. I'm gonna miss my Persona 5 themes the most.