• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you want more first?

• An update that adds Quick Resume.

Votes: 223 23.7%
  • An update that adds VRR as well as 1440p output options.

Votes: 344 36.6%
  • Either or is fine.

Votes: 55 5.9%
  • Neither I want something else.

Votes: 318 33.8%

• Total voters

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Stability. I don't want to be worried about external drive issues or rest mode crashing.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I have no need for either of the ones listed in the thread. So I voted neither. I'd personally want folders and a better PSN store as there's no tab for any of the sales.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
From what I've read (my console arrives in December):
  • More stabiltiy for rest mode and external drive support
  • Quick resume
  • Ability to transfer PS5 games and saves to an external drive
  • Folders (I need my fighting games folder)

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Ish, none of those are useful to me, and I'd rather devs universally work on proper frame pacing with variable res instead of relying on a VRR crutch.

I need nvme support somewhere in the next year or so, the sooner they have a list, the sooner there's competition driving down the price.

Folders. Folders. Folders.

A better media remote, or support for the PS3 remote, or allow third parties to make traditional remotes. I suppose some people like the simple remote for streaming services, but they really went all Apple style assuming people are too stupid to use a remote with more than 3 buttons. The PS3 remote was perfection. Please do that again.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I want to be able to pin icons. Also I want to be able to delete discs that aren't installed from my games library.

Being able to directly capture videos and screenshots to external drives. Being able to hook up more than 1 external at the same time.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I want an fix for use of external hard drives. After getting the black screen of death yesterday and fixing it by turning off the ps5 by the power button and disconnecting the external I've resigned to not using the external until they fix that issue. But now I already used up half my internal hard drive just with a few games. And I haven't even put any new games on it.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
VRR by far.

Quick resume is cool I guess, but I wouldn't really use it. VRR, on the other hand, is essential for anyone with a supported display.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I'm perplexed that the most pressing need is missing from the poll: being able to cold store PS5 games on external UBS drives.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
Stability > Cold Storage of PS5 games > internal storage whitelist > UI refinement > new features

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I'd like folders and a solution for people having issues with external drives. Quick resume and VRR are not priorities to me. Activity cards are a good solution for super fast loading, and VRR is quite niche compared to the other things I mentioned.

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
Games load too fast for me to care about Quick Resume really, don't use a 1440p monitor and not playing games that would really need VRR right now.

The update I want most is the option to put PS5 games in cold storage on external drives. Not urgent, but needed.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NVME support is needed TODAY.

Holy shit there are no folders? My ps4 is very neatly organized with various folders and I just figured they would add that to the PS5 as a given.

Man why didnt they add that?

The main app bar is more like a 'opened recently' thing. Your full library has to be accessed through a separate option and has no search/folder/label/filter options. It is impossible on larger libraries.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like Quick Resume. Don't get me wrong, the loading speeds are immense, but it does lose some of its luster if you still have to load into the game as well - some games don't let you save and pick up exactly like you were like Quick Resume would. Folders would certainly be nice too.

A better media remote, or support for the PS3 remote, or allow third parties to make traditional remotes. I suppose some people like the simple remote for streaming services, but they really went all Apple style assuming people are too stupid to use a remote with more than 3 buttons. The PS3 remote was perfection. Please do that again.

Yeah gonna agree here. I thought the media remote was going to be good for Bluray playback but it's mainly a streaming remote. If I'd realized it was mainly a streaming remote I wouldn't have bothered with it, and it's the one accessory I made sure to get ASAP.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Nvme support and external storage fix.

Possibly the ability to access your save file for a game directly from the dashboard and hop in.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would like better sorting and filtering options for my library. Also better display options (lists, big icons, small icons, etc.).

Turbocharge

Sep 28, 2020
Unironically, I want a stability update. I had lots of issues this morning when I plugged in an external hard drive - a device that works perfectly well with the PS4.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly just general improvements, I dont care about the stuff in the poll at all.
Rather like more stability
NVME slot enabled
Some more refinement of Activities like to pin a trophy you are tracking so its easy to check
Put the Media Gallery In the Media Section of the OS.
Better Search in the game library, or filters I dont care for folders if they have some good sorting or filtering.

That's about it for me.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
-More promotion of Share Screen. Imagine if everyone knew they could "split-screen" with their friends in Destiny 2.
-Folders
-Themes

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Holy shit there are no folders? My ps4 is very neatly organized with various folders and I just figured they would add that to the PS5 as a given.

Man why didnt they add that?

Microsoft should really get more kudos for keeping the UI largely unchanged with the Series S/X, and keeping all previous gen UI features available. It's so annoying how Sony/Nintendo both insist on starting their UIs over from scratch each gen, losing years of features that were added over time. Sure they'll probably get added back eventually, but you know this is going to repeat again every generation and it sucks.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
My only issue is folder and general UI tweaks. Like there were so many features in PS4's UI that I took for granted.
  • Trophies vertical
  • Less button presses to see hidden Trophy info
  • Set a default view of trophies (I like to be presented with earned date first instead of having to change it everytime I visit)
  • Folders for games
  • If you won't add folders, when I go to library, let me set up which games I see first, aka installed games vs games not on my console
  • When I press the PS button, if I am not taking to home screen, at least put my cursor on the Home icon. I don't care about whatever stories is. All it has done so far is show me games I don't care about (Fortnite and COD)
  • Is there an easy location to access clips you have saved that I am missing? Right now I go to options/storage/media gallery to look at them and I feel that isn't the best method.
  • Power Save method when you are on the home screen. I don't think that exists right now
  • Option to see a game's update history
It is just a lot of little things that add up to a good bit of frustration.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I'd like to see game tags instead of folders. So I can maybe pin a tag on the main ribbon but a game can be in more than one tag (say "Action" and "Party" and "Local Coop") instead of solely in one.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, I think reassuring people that their console won't crash/brick if they use rest mode and/or play certain games should be the top priority right now? Like, even if it's a very small chance, it's definitely higher than the normal failure rate.

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
Folders
Let me also re-organize the order of things in the control center.
NVME
Cold store PS5 games on external
Double press playstation button to bring up power/shut off options.
Change the layout of parties on top of friends list. I'd prefer to have them open in a card side by side vs parties on top then friends on bottom. Or the option to just go to a page with both.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Better USB audio support or Tempest Engine over HDMI. After that, probably cold storing games.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Folders, and the ability to 'pin' folders on the front page. It's really a shame they didn't ship with this basic feature.

Is VRR not in? I thought it was?

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I want stability, and I want internal SSD support and/or the ability to move PS5 games to the external when not in use.

Quick resume? - bleh, 3 games in frozen state would take up an extra 50GB. Storage is precious. Between the load times and the card system I don't care about this. Sure, in 4 years when PS5s have much bigger SSDs, add it as an option.

Don't like how VRR and 1440p are tethered. I care about VRR, but in no rush for it. 1440p is a niche request I don't care about. Any non-dated 1440p monitors can take 4k over HDMI and downscale to 1440p anyway. The res might have made sense for PS4, but PS5? Nah.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean quick resume would be nice, as would VRR for people with TVs that can take advantage of it but I really want folders & the ability to hide things again + also cold storage

plus what is up with the library combining certain titles? Shenmue 1 & 2 are like this where I have to pick from the drop down menu on the game page to switch between them; also I have games that show as not BC because for some reason it defaults to the demo that I had downloaded once :-/ so I have to go through an extra set of menus to get to the game

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
I've been messing with the console for just about an hour and I'm gonna say it right now:
Change the trophy cards, Sony!!
It's been rectangles since 2008, why would you change it to squares??!!
My Trophy list looks so filthy and disorganized.

P.S- As I install some PS4 games I have here, the SSD expansions can't come soon enough. The rest of the poll is pretty meh to me.

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I can't find any way to output 120Hz @ 1080P, so that please! I'd like to check out some 120Hz titles but only have HDMI 2.0 on my tv (which supports 1080@120Hz).

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Humble bragging us with your fancy ps4 and your fancy folders, while we're over here stuck like a bunch of unorganized suckers.
Sorry for appearing arrogant on top of my Folder throne.

I would trade my entire highly organized kingdom for a PS5

Microsoft should really get more kudos for keeping the UI largely unchanged with the Series S/X, and keeping all previous gen UI features available. It's so annoying how Sony/Nintendo both insist on starting their UIs over from scratch each gen, losing years of features that were added over time. Sure they'll probably get added back eventually, but you know this is going to repeat again every generation and it sucks.
Agree, I really don't get it, I can understand a quick resume between multiple games maybe, but folders? How hard is it to apply that to an UI specially when you already had it in the UI for the PS4?

Avenger54321

Oct 27, 2017
Gurnee
Stability, and yes I'm serious about that, themes, and Folders. Would think they would carry over things that everyone uses on the PS4 on to the PS5 UI for launch like folders.