• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Derko1

Oct 29, 2017
I'm trying to figure this out here..

The ones you two bought released in 2013.. and doesn't support 24bit...

The one I bought and posted a few pages back supports 24bit audio.. and was released in 2019.

Can you post the one that you bought? I can still cancel my order and order a newer one.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to figure this out here..

The ones you two bought released in 2013.. and doesn't support 24bit...

The one I bought and posted a few pages back supports 24bit audio.. and was released in 2019.

So could your lower volume be attributed to that?

Also does anyone know if using the Type C port instead could be beneficial? I'll try it myself tomorrow when I get back from work.

But right now I have my DAC connected to the Hi-Speed port that's used for charging the DualSense. I might try to plug it in the back to one of the SuperSpeed USB ports as well.
Could be the case. Mind you, it's not really quiet, it's just not as loud as my ps4 through optical on the same set up.

I saw the one you posted while browsing and almost got it, but I wasn't sure if it was UAC2 or 1 at the time so I skipped it.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
My Fiio E10k works well, I had to turn on the gain boost, but after that it sounds great. I'll just need to invest in a longer usb cable.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
What's the best USB DAC to go with, then?

Preferably something affordable!

I'm going to look into selling my sound blaster G6.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I went ahead and ordered the creative sound blasterx G6 dac/mixamp for my Senn. Pc37x . PS5 recognizes it. Usb to analog seems to be the simplest solution.
The issue with the G6 is that the only way to enable direct mode (without the G6 adding any of its own virtual surround effects) is to have it connected to a laptop :/

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I've read around this and apparently the DAC doesn't save the settings. Only way to apply them is by keeping it connected to a laptop.

Well for me, when I turn off all the SBX effects, all of the indicator lights on the device like SBX and Scout Mode are completely off when connected to the PS4/5. I don't notice any modification of audio.

Gamerasi

Sep 30, 2019
Right now, using the steelseries Actress 7 with the usb dongle is satisfying and what I'm wondering about is the performance of the Sennheiser rs 175 when the HDMI pass-through takes place. And to what extent will we be able to use the older Logitech Z5500?

Derko1

Oct 29, 2017

Just to double check is it this one? The link you posted seems like it's not going anywhere.

Amazon.com: Reiyin DA-DD 192kHz 24bit Audio DAC USB-C to Optical Coaxial 3.5mm AUX Converter Decoder: Home Audio & Theater

Amazon.com: Reiyin DA-DD 192kHz 24bit Audio DAC USB-C to Optical Coaxial 3.5mm AUX Converter Decoder: Home Audio & Theater

Derko1

Oct 29, 2017

Awesome! Thank you. I have both coming tuesday. So hopefully they both work and I'll see if there's any pluses on one or the other.

Very sad that there's nothing I can do about getting the XsX to work... specially that I just started and got stuck in playing Code Vein on the XsX. Worst of all, connecting the headphones to the controller doesn't mute the external speakers. So I've had a few times where I'm playing with headphones on and my 7.1 system is blaring at 2am in the morning without me realizing it. My wife was not happy.

TheBanditKing

Nov 5, 2017
Thanks ps5 and xbox series x for making my old mixamps useless!! I can't even use my sennheisers anymore I have use crappy gaming headphones!

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Well for me, when I turn off all the SBX effects, all of the indicator lights on the device like SBX and Scout Mode are completely off when connected to the PS4/5. I don't notice any modification of audio.
I did try this but iirc the only way to know direct mode is enabled is for the SBX light to be flashing, which only happens when plugged in.

Which settings do you change? I'll give your way a go in the near future. Would save the hassle of getting a new amp.

How's the 3D audio sound on the PS5?

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I did try this but iirc the only way to know direct mode is enabled is for the SBX light to be flashing, which only happens when plugged in.

Which settings do you change? I'll give your way a go in the near future. Would save the hassle of getting a new amp.

How's the 3D audio sound on the PS5?

I think the only real difference between Direct mode and just manually turning off all the DSP options, is that Direct mode allows you to get up to 32 bit/384 hz output. This wouldn't matter for PS4/5 because the console can't output at that level anyway. I believe 24 bit/96hz is the max. I'm out of town so only doing this by memory, but in Sound Connect app, I made sure the device was in SBX mode and that the headphone output was 2 channel stereo. I then clicked on the default game profile setting, though any will do. Once you do this you should be in the Acoustic Engine settings. Here you'll see stuff like Equalizer, Surround, Bass, Crystallizer, etc. I toggled everything here off. When you do this, the SBX light on the side should turn off. After that you're done. As far as 3D audio is concerned, I don't think the surround sound implementation is that much better than what SBX was doing, but I did get an added sense of height. I've also tried Dolby Atmos and DTS:X for headphones on PC and would say they all feel pretty similar.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Finally got my PS5 and tried using my headphones through the DualSense audio jack. The sound quality is pretty lacking compared to using my 2.1 soundbar, been playing Demon's Souls for reference.

Oct 27, 2017
Just to double check is it this one? The link you posted seems like it's not going anywhere.

Just ordered this, going to try it out with my Sennheiser RS180. Hopefully it works with the 3d audio they're my favorite pair of wireless headphones.

Derko1

Oct 29, 2017
Just ordered this, going to try it out with my Sennheiser RS180. Hopefully it works with the 3d audio they're my favorite pair of wireless headphones.
When the product arrives, please share the result here.

Works flawlessly! I hooked it up to the PS5 through USB. Connected an optical cable between it and my Schiit stack. PS5 automatically switched to it and then I set my headphones volume to max on the PS5 and the volume level was left alone to what I typically use on the DAC. It sounds great! Volume level is even exactly what I get straight from my PC to the DAC.

I only tried Rime and Days Gone, since I just got it a little bit ago and it was a pretty big difference in sound quality from the controller to the DAC. The 3D Audio definitely sounds clearer than through just the controller. I think a lot has to do because of the volume level being right off the bat higher going through the DAC. Maybe because the headphones weren't getting enough juice or it could be just the better quality DAC as well.

Will totally be keeping it! The first one I ordered, that is the older model, doesn't come until tomorrow. So this one I think won between the two. It feels nice and solid and I like the finish on it as well. Plus it does what I need and it was fairly hassle free.

Thanks Afrikan!

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Works flawlessly! I hooked it up to the PS5 through USB. Connected an optical cable between it and my Schiit stack. PS5 automatically switched to it and then I set my headphones volume to max on the PS5 and the volume level was left alone to what I typically use on the DAC. It sounds great! Volume level is even exactly what I get straight from my PC to the DAC.

I only tried Rime and Days Gone, since I just got it a little bit ago and it was a pretty big difference in sound quality from the controller to the DAC. The 3D Audio definitely sounds clearer than through just the controller. I think a lot has to do because of the volume level being right off the bat higher going through the DAC. Maybe because the headphones weren't getting enough juice or it could be just the better quality DAC as well.

Will totally be keeping it! The first one I ordered, that is the older model, doesn't come until tomorrow. So this one I think won between the two. It feels nice and solid and I like the finish on it as well. Plus it does what I need and it was fairly hassle free.

Thanks Afrikan!

I'm glad it's working out so far.

I finally set up my Sony MDR-HW700ds headphones with it...connection through optical. Sounds even better (as expected) than just my Logitech G Pro headset connected through the 3.5mm port on the DAC.

Played Cold war with them and wow, walking by a tank that was on fire.. I'm going to try Astrobot this week.

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland
This is great, so in theory this would allow any amp and headphones to work with PS5 3D Audio as long as you have a Optical or Coaxial input on your amp?

Have you tried plugging into the headphone output on this device, does it actually drive headphones OK? Or does it suffer from low volume.

Gamerasi

Sep 30, 2019

Thanks Afrikan!
Thank you. I can now use the Sennheiser hd 175.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Earlier I posted that the sennheiser GSX 1000 worked the first time but after disconnecting and reconnecting to the PS5 it stopped working. I updated the firmware the other day and again it worked the very first time I connected it to the ps5, but stopped working after I disconnected and reconnected it.

can anyone explain why this is happening? How can it work the first time and then stop working?

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Not related to USB, but I thought to ask here anyway considering all the audio knowledge in this thread.

Anybody else having issues with using in-ears on the DualSense controller? There seems to be a very high noise floor with a constant hiss when playing audio. Tested with both a Fiio FA1 and Teufel Move Pro. Luckily it's not there with my over-ears, but I'm not always in the mood for earwarmers. Think I'll stick with the Teufel Massive for gaming.

yagal

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear that some of you found a solution, I'm here with my Sennheiser 660S and my iFi Nano iDSD BL waiting for better days.

OP
OP
leng jai

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
My solution so far has been turning off 3D audio altogether and just using the optical on my TV.

jhbass

Nov 20, 2020
Earlier I posted that the sennheiser GSX 1000 worked the first time but after disconnecting and reconnecting to the PS5 it stopped working. I updated the firmware the other day and again it worked the very first time I connected it to the ps5, but stopped working after I disconnected and reconnected it.

can anyone explain why this is happening? How can it work the first time and then stop working?

Try powering down your PS5, reconnect your GSX and power the PS5 back up.
I have the same issue w/my Audioengine DS1, it will work only if I follow the steps above and only w/the USB-A ports (doesn't work at all w/USB-C even though it appears as an option).

Full Recovery

Needs a sandwich
Oct 26, 2017
USA
The soundblasterx g6 works great. It would be better if I could just put it in direct mode, but as another poster said just disable everything in SBX mode and make it 2 channel, works with tempest 3d sound through the PS5.

Oct 27, 2017
Came in the mail yesterday and works perfectly! Thank you for the recommendation. I have it hooked up to my Sennheiser RS180 cans and the 3d audio works with them. It's a slick little looker too, way better than my industrial old square black one i had to use with the PS4 that needed to be plugged in to the wall.

jhbass

Nov 20, 2020
Has anyone had any luck in getting their DAC to work via the USB-C port? Mine will work on the USB-A port but not the C, just seems odd to me.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So...what's the DAC to get that works well on PS5? Ideally I'd like something with USB and Optical and the ability to switch inputs.

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
For those using the Soundblaster G6, is there any way to keep the volume output at max? Minor inconvenience, but I need to manually raise the volume on the G6 each time the PS5 is powered up.

KillerAJD

Oct 25, 2017
For those using the Soundblaster G6, is there any way to keep the volume output at max? Minor inconvenience, but I need to manually raise the volume on the G6 each time the PS5 is powered up.
If there is a way, I haven't found it. Earlier in the thread, somebody suggested checking by plugging it into a computer and use the SoundBlaster command center thing, but I went ahead and did that, pumped up the volume, disconnected it, and still need to change the volume when using it on my PS5. Entirely possible I was changing the wrong setting though, or not saving it correctly. In my case, it's also not that big of a deal because I game at a desk, so it's only a foot away, but could definitely see it being annoying if you've got it across the room or something.

Full Recovery

Needs a sandwich
Oct 26, 2017
USA
My g6 defaults to about half volume no matter what. Hopefully the change it to full volume in a firmware update.

stoke1863

Oct 29, 2017
just tried E10k via usb on ps5 and volume output is pretty low, its much higher directly from the controller but audio sounds very bad.

any workaround?

i also have a Syba Sonic i could try but i need that for PC as it has mic and headfphone input.

Ive tried with three high end cans

Philips Fidelio X2 (easy to drive)
Monolith m1060c (easy to drive but planar)
Sennhieser HD600 (hard to drive)

and they are all the same sound level.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
just tried E10k via usb on ps5 and volume output is pretty low, its much higher directly from the controller but audio sounds very bad.

any workaround?

i also have a Syba Sonic i could try but i need that for PC as it has mic and headfphone input.

Ive tried with three high end cans

Philips Fidelio X2 (easy to drive)
Monolith m1060c (easy to drive but planar)
Sennhieser HD600 (hard to drive)

and they are all the same sound level.

Did you also make sure the volume is maxed in the system settings? The system by default usually has the usb audio at 2-3 clicks lower than max.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington

Thanks Afrikan!
Have you tried connecting headphones to the adapter directly to see how much of a difference that makes compared to plugging into the DualSense?

Derko1

Oct 29, 2017
Have you tried connecting headphones to the adapter directly to see how much of a difference that makes compared to plugging into the DualSense?

This might be to me, have a lot to do with the impedance on the headphones. The volume is the main difference between the two and connecting directly to the Schiit Stack does add volume and to me sounds clearer as well. Since the volume is a bit lower from the dual sense, with my main headphones.

I have a few different headphones and one in particular is super tiny sounding and you can barely hear it through the dual sense. Then another one that sounds the same between the two, but sounds clearer on the DAC. I also have a nice set of IEMs that sound good, but for some reason the "3d" sounds very off and does not work well for games on the dual sense either.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks Afrikan!
Came in the mail yesterday and works perfectly! Thank you for the recommendation. I have it hooked up to my Sennheiser RS180 cans and the 3d audio works with them. It's a slick little looker too, way better than my industrial old square black one i had to use with the PS4 that needed to be plugged in to the wall.
You two sure your DAC/AMP is working as well as it was before? Someone made a video on it and it seems to lower the volume in comparison to HDMI
Timestamp is 3:32

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
You two sure your DAC/AMP is working as well as it was before? Someone made a video on it and it seems to lower the volume in comparison to HDMI
Timestamp is 3:32

It doesn't sound like that to me. Also, I can say it sounded worse when connected to the Type C port for some reason, in comparison to the Type A port in the front. He doesn't say which port he used, but I would think he went straight with the Type A port in the front.

Also I didn't expect this product be as good as HDMI. I wanted to get 3D Audio/PCM 2.0 out to my Sony MDR-HW700DS, and this was the only way for now. And it DEFINITELY sounded better than just using the DualSense.

He gave an example with DMC, but I wish he game examples with other games (like Cold War). I don't own DMC, so I can't test it myself. I wish he would show more of his setup/devices as well.

Last edited:

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
This might be to me, have a lot to do with the impedance on the headphones. The volume is the main difference between the two and connecting directly to the Schiit Stack does add volume and to me sounds clearer as well. Since the volume is a bit lower from the dual sense, with my main headphones.

I have a few different headphones and one in particular is super tiny sounding and you can barely hear it through the dual sense. Then another one that sounds the same between the two, but sounds clearer on the DAC. I also have a nice set of IEMs that sound good, but for some reason the "3d" sounds very off and does not work well for games on the dual sense either.
Thanks, I've got two pairs of cans and one of them is very low impedance, so I'm just hoping to clean up how that sounds compared to plugging into the DualSense directly. Might get a dedicated console amp down the road for my HD6XXs though...

Derko1

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks, I've got two pairs of cans and one of them is very low impedance, so I'm just hoping to clean up how that sounds compared to plugging into the DualSense directly. Might get a dedicated console amp down the road for my HD6XXs though...
My mains are a pair of LCD-Xs, then the HE-500 is the one that has the most impedance. Which I could barely get sound from the controller. Then I also have a pair of Fostex TH-X00, which have fairly low impedance and sound at the same volume between the two. Then my ie80s are the IEMs that I use for everything else and sound awful from the controller. I have not tried them on the amp though. I wonder if they would sound any different.

Definitely a good choice to go with an amp though. I wish I had a one stop solution for the XsX and the PS5. Which sucks that there isn't one.

It doesn't sound like that to me. Also, I can say it sounded worse when connected to the Type C port for some reason, in comparison to the Type A port in the front. He doesn't say which port he used, but I would think he went straight with the Type A port in the front.

Also I didn't expect this product be as good as HDMI. I wanted to get 3D Audio/PCM 2.0 out to my Sony MDR-HW700DS, and this was the only way for now. And it DEFINITELY sounded better than just using the DualSense.

He gave an example with DMC, but I wish he game examples with other games (like Cold War). I don't own DMC, so I can't test it myself. I wish he would show more of his setup/devices as well.

I haven't tested it myself, but I am also hooked up to the USB via the rear of the PS5. Might try the front to test it later.

Last edited: