• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AbstractPlain

Oct 27, 2017
Does anybody know if the FiiO E10K Olympus 2 work with the ps5?
I have a Fiio E10 which is an older but identical version of what you have and it does work on the PS5 but the volume is very low even at max and on high gain setting. For me it not worth using. I'm currently just using the headphone jack on the Dualsense with a portable amp with and a HD598 headphone. Right now I'm getting pretty good results with good enough volume.

I tried it previously with a 58X headphone as well and the volume was too low with the jack. Basically try to avoid using headphones with an impedance higher than 50ohm on the headphone jack. Alternatively it seems people are getting better results with the Soundblaster G6 dac so that might be also worth considering. I'm personally sticking with the Dualsense jack for now until there is better support for a wider range of usb dacs.

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland
Is there a chance DAC support can be improved via a patch?

I have a Fiio E17 portable DAC/AMP which works on PS4 via USB but has the low audio glitch. Max gain makes it fine for easy to drive headphones.

Seems crazy Sony invests such time and effort into audio and then fails at the final step.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a chance DAC support can be improved via a patch?
While it's technically possible, I'd say the chance is pretty slim. They couldn't have been unaware of people's issues with the PS4's mediocre support for USB audio, and despite removing the optical port they made no changes for the PS5 in that regard.

I'm gonna keep telling them to fix it on the PS blog, but I don't have much hope, they don't seem to care about this.

zerodeefex

Mar 30, 2019
Sony uses a forked super old freebsd kernel and doesn't do any sane thing like... build off a Linux kernel let alone from the last decade. This really is embarrassing in 2020. The idea that you'd release a console without UAC2 support when everything supports UAC2 is absolutely lazy.

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland
While it's technically possible, I'd say the chance is pretty slim. They couldn't have been unaware of people's issues with the PS4's mediocre support for USB audio, and despite removing the optical port they made no changes for the PS5 in that regard.

I'm gonna keep telling them to fix it on the PS blog, but I don't have much hope, they don't seem to care about this.
It is frustrating, as you say they must be aware of the issues, a search of Google shows plenty of complaints.

I want to buy a new DAC/AMP to use with DT1990 Pros, in part to use with a PS5. Looks like I will hold off at the moment.

Is plugging into the DualSense producing better quality than the DualShock?

bigJayy

Dec 30, 2019
I have a Fiio E10 which is an older but identical version of what you have and it does work on the PS5 but the volume is very low even at max and on high gain setting. For me it not worth using. I'm currently just using the headphone jack on the Dualsense with a portable amp with and a HD598 headphone. Right now I'm getting pretty good results with good enough volume.

I tried it previously with a 58X headphone as well and the volume was too low with the jack. Basically try to avoid using headphones with an impedance higher than 50ohm on the headphone jack. Alternatively it seems people are getting better results with the Soundblaster G6 dac so that might be also worth considering. I'm personally sticking with the Dualsense jack for now until there is better support for a wider range of usb dacs.

Thanks,

I have a ps5 and use Sennheiser HD 569´s (low ohm) with the Dualsense jack. The volume is not the problem, i just don't like the sound quality.
the E10 would be a cheap way to get better sound and i could use headphones with higher impedance.

AbstractPlain

Oct 27, 2017
It is frustrating, as you say they must be aware of the issues, a search of Google shows plenty of complaints.

I want to buy a new DAC/AMP to use with DT1990 Pros, in part to use with a PS5. Looks like I will hold off at the moment.

Is plugging into the DualSense producing better quality than the DualShock?
For me the Dualsense audio definitely seems better than the dualshock in terms of both volume level and quality. The dualshock was unusable for me with anything other than earbuds. At the very least I can use my 598 (50ohm) without much trouble on the dualsense. Low impedance headphones look like they work fine. High impedance headphones definitely will struggle. I could not use my 58X with Dualsense as they are 150ohm and the volume was much too low. Your DT1990 Pro will probably also struggle as they are 250ohm.

I would either just use a pair of low impedance headphones and plug those into the Dualsense for now or get a dac that is fully supported with the PS5 but it seems hit and miss with what works and doesn't unfortunately. Dac support is honestly a shitshow on PS5 right now.

deadmonkeyuk

Oct 27, 2017
Highlands, Scotland
For me the Dualsense audio definitely seems better than the dualshock in terms of both volume level and quality. The dualshock was unusable for me with anything other than earbuds. At the very least I can use my 598 (50ohm) without much trouble on the dualsense. Low impedance headphones look like they work fine. High impedance headphones definitely will struggle. I could not use my 58X with Dualsense as they are 150ohm and the volume was much too low. Your DT1990 Pro will probably also struggle as they are 250ohm.

I would either just use a pair of low impedance headphones and plug those into the Dualsense for now or get a dac that is fully supported with the PS5 but it seems hit and miss with what works and doesn't unfortunately. Dac support is honestly a shitshow on PS5 right now.
Thanks for the reply, yeah no way the DT1990 Pros are going to be usable into the DualSense. I have a set of Philips X1s which are a lot easier to drive. When listening to 3D audio on YouTube I find quality earbuds often present the sound placement better than headphones. Will be interesting to check once I get a PS5.

Lets hope the Dac issue gets sorted, opening up people to use better quality equipment is going to do wonders for 3D audio.

Deleted member 9650

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They definitely ship to Japan and offer a discount to ¥3095. It's currently sold out, but you can find the info here. https://blog.astrogaming.com/2020/10/astro-hdmi-audio-adapter-for-playstation-5/

I'm sure there are better ones that support 2.1, but I didn't have much luck with a brief search. Good luck.

Ugh, unfortunately it's sold out in Japan. And I looked up my TV and no HDMI 2.1 or 120hz support. So I'll pick one up when I can, I guess :)
Thanks again for the tips.

Edit ohhhhhhhhh and people are flipping this shit tooooooo https://www.mercari.com/jp/items/m8...tsYlke7nj0zGV76KwiM_J362QLXV9yHO22ykD4Gyo7yZE

windupcrow

Banned
Nov 3, 2020
Just to contribute to this thread, since I've had my PS5 a few days now.

The ATOM DAC doesn't work with the PS4 firmware, and in fact that firmware also no longer works with the PS4 itself. JDSLabs have added new firmware (1.4.5) which will hopefully now work. Unfortunately, the old firmware was always a one way street, so if you used that firmware before you're outta luck and won't be able to upgrade. Thankfully, JDS were kind enough to send me a new DAC, no questions asked, so that I could use the new firmware. Downside, if Sony mess around again like they did with the PS4, the DAC won't work on the PS5 as the firmware can't be upgraded.

I've also tested with the Atom amp and the older OL DAC and had the usual problem - very, very quiet audio, to the point it's not really practically usable.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Sennheiser GSX 1000 works through USB. Volume control on the amp doesn't work though, you have to control the volume through the PS5 UI

Edit** Now I can't get it to work. That's strange. The PS5 recognizes it and I can select it as an audio device but im not getting any audio.

Last edited:

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
I know this won't matter for most, but I'm using a Hegel H120 for my 2 channel desk setup and the internal Hegel DAC works via USB. This was my main concern as I didn't think it would work. Sounds really good too

The PS5 detected the DAC as a headphone out. If that happens and you're on A two channel setup, make sure to go into the settings and turn off 3D audio for headphones.

Last edited:

simtmb

Feb 28, 2018
Quick edit. Had issues with my Soundblaster G6, couldn't get any audio until I tried the back USB ports on the PS5. Works fine now.

Last edited:

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017
Quick edit. Had issues with my Soundblaster G6, couldn't get any audio until I tried the back USB ports on the PS5. Works fine now.

Interesting. I've had mine connected to the front without issues so far.

Do you also have to raise the volume of your G6 every time you wake your PS5 from rest-mode? It's like the PS5 resets the volume to low every time it resumes.

I think it's the G6 that resets whenever it is powered down. I also have to increase the volume each time again.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Huh, that is unusual.
I wonder if it switches between UAC1 and UAC2 modes when you toggle the headphone/digital output switch, or if there's some other reason that it's working.
UAC1 can definitely only support up to 96 kHz though.

I switched it to the other side, used an optical cable and connected it to my LG Sound Bar... and it still works. I can't get a reading if it's PCM 2.0, but when I set up my Sony MDR-HW700ds head phones tonight... that will give me a reading.

jhbass

Nov 20, 2020
I think that I figured it out and I'm wondering if this won't work for other DACs. When I got home today I plugged my Audioengine D1 into a rear USB port and it no longer worked (but it did this AM). So I unplugged it and powered the PS5 down, plugged the D1 back in and booted up the PS5. As it was booting up I heard the D1 make a clicking sound and it worked after that. I powered the PS5 back down and tried a USB port on the front, same thing. It's as if the DAC needs to go through some sort of initialization and it doesn't occur if the PS5 is already booted up.

Hopefully, this process works for others.

Babadook

self-requsted ban
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I have a Schiit Modi 3+ and Magni Heresy. The PS5 does not support it via USB. I don't really need it to though, as I also have an LG OLED and I can output all sound through toslink to the Modi. So if Sony never supports this DAC I at least would like them to support 3d audio through HDMI. This would be a pretty easy feature to add actually and would help a lot of people. I contacted PlayStation tech support to request it in a future update and the guy said he would pass it along.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Not to tangent super hard, but I wish I knew an audiophile who could lend me a DAC to try out. It's so hard to know whether or not I'd be able to hear a difference, like I can with better speakers, or no difference at all, like 320kbps mp3 vs FLAC.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know if I plug a pair of headphones or speakers into a USB DAC, will the controller speaker still output sound? I'm using a computer monitor and tried plugging some desktop speakers into the Dualsense, which automatically turns off the controller speaker. Which is a shame given how much the controller speaker adds to the haptics.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Turns out that the Audioengine D1 works IF it's plugged into a rear USB port. I don't have a USB - USB-C adapter on hand but I suspect that the Apple USB-C to 3.5 adapter will probably work as well.
Redria Hi! Do you have an USB-C to USB-A adapter? If yes, can you try the Apple 3.5mm dongle with that on a REAR USB port like is stated in this post up there?
Maybe it will work. Thank you and sorry for bothering <3

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Not to tangent super hard, but I wish I knew an audiophile who could lend me a DAC to try out. It's so hard to know whether or not I'd be able to hear a difference, like I can with better speakers, or no difference at all, like 320kbps mp3 vs FLAC.
Well, in the case of ps4, as a casual listener, I can hear the difference betwee plugging my headphone to dualshock 4 and using a DAC. But that's maybe because dualshock 4 audio output is that bad. Supposedly audio output in dualsense is much better in comparison to ds4

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
It's so weird how the sennheiser GSX 1000 worked the very first time I plugged it into the ps5 but hasn't worked since. The ps5 still recognizes it, but there's no audio.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Well, in the case of ps4, as a casual listener, I can hear the difference betwee plugging my headphone to dualshock 4 and using a DAC. But that's maybe because dualshock 4 audio output is that bad. Supposedly audio output in dualsense is much better in comparison to ds4

I'm keen to check this out, because yes, plugging headphones into the DS4's aux jack was a massive trade off in sound quality for the sake of convenience. The DualSense kind of has to have decent sound, since regular wireless Bluetooth headphones can't pair with the PS5, and Tempest audio can only be enjoyed via headphones.

Which reminds me, I need to check the headphones thread to find out what the best ~$50 wired earbuds are in 2020.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I've got Steelseries Pro that seem to work fine plugging the wirless thing into the PS5, have to set it to PC rather than PS4 though

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Here you go!

Signstek HIFI USB to Coaxial S: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Free delivery and returns on eligible orders. Buy Signstek HIFI USB to Coaxial S/PDIF Converter Decoder to Convert Digital to Analogue Signal, Mini USB DAC PCM 2704 Chipset with USB Cable at Amazon UK.
So, this finally arrived today, though I ordered it from Amazon US. Seems like it almost got lost lmao

Anyway, hooked it up, and it worked. Now my PS5 is connected via optical to my DAC/Amp and it's much louder than using the USB directly.
But it's not as loud as I hoped it'd be, I think my direct optical connection the PS4 was louder. It's a big improvement though so I can't complain too much right now.

Thanks sifi36 !

BTW, US peeps, that DAC is $10 off right now on Amazon.

sifi36

May 28, 2020
So, this finally arrived today, though I ordered it from Amazon US. Seems like it almost got lost lmao

Anyway, hooked it up, and it worked. Now my PS5 is connected via optical to my DAC/Amp and it's much louder than using the USB directly.
But it's not as loud as I hoped it'd be, I think my direct optical connection the PS4 was louder. It's a big improvement though so I can't complain too much right now.

Thanks sifi36 !

You're welcome, glad you've managed to sort it out. The volume you're experiencing is interesting, as I could have sworn mine was marginally louder than my PC via USB, I wonder if there's a cheaper solution around that does away with that devices DAC, amp and analogue outputs. Basically a USB to optical converter with no other frills.

swagikun

Nov 19, 2020
That USB to Optical adapter works for me as well. It's based on a PCM2704 chip and there's barebones ones available on Aliexpress that only has the USB to optical portion and nothing else. You can get it for around $5.

alexwise

Nov 3, 2017
Try a different USB cable as well if your problem persists. Both my PS4 and PS5 wouldn't recognize G6 until I tried 2 different cables. My guess is some cables can't provide enough power for the device to work properly.

Full Recovery

Needs a sandwich
Oct 26, 2017
USA
The exclusion of optical ports this generation is a huge disappointment. 3 steps forward one step back.

edit:
So is the astro mixamp for ps4 useless for the ps5?

Last edited:

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge Audio's DacMagic Plus works great on PS4 so I guess (and hope) it works on PS5 also. Gonna edit this post for confirmation when I finally get my hands on this near mythical console...

Edit: So it turns out PS5 is not a myth after all! DacMagic Plus is working great so far, absolute no problems at all.

Last edited:

Full Recovery

Needs a sandwich
Oct 26, 2017
USA
Does anyone have thoughts on the Razer BlackShark v2 (or pro)? It is supposed to be compatible with the PS5. $100 wired, 179 wireless

Derko1

Oct 29, 2017

Thanks sifi36 !

You're welcome, glad you've managed to sort it out. The volume you're experiencing is interesting, as I could have sworn mine was marginally louder than my PC via USB, I wonder if there's a cheaper solution around that does away with that devices DAC, amp and analogue outputs. Basically a USB to optical converter with no other frills.

This is great! Might be my easy solution to using my Schiit stack. Can either of you check to see if 3D audio still works and isn't grayed out in the options?

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks sifi36 !

Sounds pretty interesting!

Does this setup introduce any additional audio delay? If I understand this correctly this 'dac' doesn't do any digital -> analogue conversion in this particular setup and just sends the digital audio stream to the optical out, acting like a passthrough? Meaning, the only digital to analogue conversion happens where you want it to happen, in your actual dac down your audio chain.

I might want to get one of these to feed my ADI-2 DAC FS for 3d audio!

This is great! Might be my easy solution to using my Schiit stack. Can either of you check to see if 3D audio still works and isn't grayed out in the options?

Yeah, I'd like to know this as well!

Last edited:

sifi36

May 28, 2020

Yes 3D audio works, and is far better without the compression of wireless through the Dualsense.

Sounds pretty interesting!

Does this setup introduce any additional audio delay? If I understand this correctly this 'dac' doesn't do any digital -> analogue conversion in this particular setup and just sends the digital audio stream to the optical out, acting like a passthrough? Meaning, the only digital to analogue conversion happens where you want it to happen, in your actual dac down your audio chain.

I might want to get one of these to feed my ADI-2 DAC FS for 3d audio!

Yeah, I'd like to know this as well!

I haven't noticed any delay, though a more scientific test might be needed to establish whether or not this is the case. Happy to test this if someone knows of a good way to do so.

Derko1

Oct 29, 2017
Yes 3D audio works, and is far better without the compression of wireless through the Dualsense.
Bought one! So, I wonder if this also works with the XsX. Because I'd love to be able to get second one and do coax to my schiit stack and only have to hit the switch on it to swap between PC/PS5/XsX.

sifi36

May 28, 2020
Bought one! So, I wonder if this also works with the XsX. Because I'd love to be able to get second one and do coax to my schiit stack and only have to hit the switch on it to swap between PC/PS5/XsX.

Neither the Xbox One or Series consoles support USB audio out, except for specifically licensed devices. The flaky UAC support on PS5 is pretty naff, no optical or generic USB on XBox is just silly. Not a great situation on either!

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
3D audio as an option is available.
Personally, though, I can't decide if I set it up right or not. None of the available options sound quite as good to me as it has been described online.

I haven't noticed a delay either.

I don't have an XsX, but a Google search tells me it doesn't support USB DACs. Owners here should confirm, though.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017

Thanks sifi36 !

I'm trying to figure this out here..

The ones you two bought released in 2013.. and doesn't support 24bit...

Support Sample Rate: 16 Bit 32k, 44.1k, 48k (not support 24 Bit)

The one I bought and posted a few pages back supports 24bit audio.. and was released in 2019.

• Supports sampling Rate at 32, 44.1, 48, 96 and 192kHz; 16/24-bit S/PDIF incoming Bit stream on left and right channels.

So could your lower volume be attributed to that?

Also does anyone know if using the Type C port instead could be beneficial? I'll try it myself tomorrow when I get back from work.

But right now I have my DAC connected to the Hi-Speed port that's used for charging the DualSense. I might try to plug it in the back to one of the SuperSpeed USB ports as well.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
Damn this is disappointing. It was bad enough that the PS4 didn't support UAC2. Sony plz.

Once I get a non-scalper price PS5, might have to get a JDS Labs DAC since they can flash the firmware to be PS5 compatible.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Think I posted in another thread but I got the USB DAC of the HyperX Cloud 2s to work with my X2s and some HD400S so for now that's my solution to get 3D audio until Sony supports UAC2.

Not going to buy another DAC but might consider a USB to Optical convertor that fully works. Got room in my optical splitter!

ps3ud0 8)

Full Recovery

Needs a sandwich
Oct 26, 2017
USA
I went ahead and ordered the creative sound blasterx G6 dac/mixamp for my Senn. Pc37x . PS5 recognizes it. Usb to analog seems to be the simplest solution.