• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I was looking at that adapter's specs and was so disappointed to find out it's UAC2... This is becoming very annoying and I don't know whether I should replace my DAC-X6, find a work around which I can't seem to find yet, or hope Sony fixes their mediocre support.

I wasn't even going to go with this DAC but it was hard finding an affordable one with USB and SPDIF with a convenient way to switch between inputs.

Some of the stuff mentioned to work seem to only have one USB input, and that's inconvenient for me since I use it with my PC at the same time.
Multiple USB inputs is very rare. But you should be able to hook the PC up to the DAC with any of those inputs without too much difficulty, if you need the USB port for something else.

bboris77

Sep 11, 2020
Damn I hope Schiit do this.
It would be in their best interest to do it. I love their gear as well and own bunch of it. Not sure if their stuff is firmware upgradable by the end user though. They could always offer custom versions of their gear that would ship as UAC1-only.
I don't have a PS5 to test this myself, but I'm pretty sure that any USB sound device that works will support 3D Audio.

If it supports anything higher than 96 kHz it's definitely a UAC2 device, which the PS5 does not currently support.
There are less expensive devices which are limited to 48/96 kHz, and are likely to be UAC1 devices.

It looks like the issue with low volume on the PS5 is if the USB audio device allows the system to control its output volume.
Devices that disable this control should output at full volume; but it's very difficult to know how a certain device behaves.
The volume control is a weird bug probably related to Sony trying to limit output volume on headphones for liability reasons. In their infinite wisdom, Sony assumes that only headphone users use USB DACs. Hence they allow the Trmpest engine via USB even if you connect your DAC to speakers.

The Atom DAC UAC1 firmware that outputs full volume from the PS5 ships with the "hardware volume control" flag set to disabled. This means that the PS5 does not have access to the lossless hardware volume control of the DAC, and cannot impose this artificial volume limit on it. You can still adjust the output volume in the PS5 audio settings because that is software volume control, kind of like the volume adjustment in Windows. However, I would adjust that to the maximum output as well to ensure that you are getting bitperfect audio out of the PS5.

SamuelBeckwit

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for this information. I also have the Astro Mixamp with the Optical out. Still waiting to get my PS5.

Can you recommend a good HDMI => Optical splitter that supports 4K and all that Jazz? There is a lot of junk on Amazon.

Also, have you tried running the Mixamp on PC mode (hold the power button down until it turns white)?

I just use the optical splitter from Astro because it was $25 and I knew it was supported. Their solution is based on HDMI 2.0 so it will output at 4K, but not with all of the bells and whistles like 120hz, etc... I'm in an awkward spot where my OLED is from a year before they added HDMI 2.1 and I'll be god damned if I'm replacing it any time soon barring any unfortunate circumstances so the lack of 2.1 features doesn't bother me.

I didn't mess with PC mode, but in my experience with the PS4, the main difference is that the mic doesn't seem to work, but the game sound goes though. I can test tomorrow if it comes to mind.

Deleted member 9650

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just use the optical splitter from Astro because it was $25 and I knew it was supported. Their solution is based on HDMI 2.0 so it will output at 4K, but not with all of the bells and whistles like 120hz, etc... I'm in an awkward spot where my OLED is from a year before they added HDMI 2.1 and I'll be god damned if I'm replacing it any time soon barring any unfortunate circumstances so the lack of 2.1 features doesn't bother me.

I didn't mess with PC mode, but in my experience with the PS4, the main difference is that the mic doesn't seem to work, but the game sound goes though. I can test tomorrow if it comes to mind.

Thanks for the answer! I'll see if I can score that adapter in Japan.

I'm not even sure if my TV supports 2.1 but I bought it new in January of last year, so I think it should :)

I wonder if there is any solution that works with HDMI 2.1...

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Bah, its 3am and I thought it would be a good time to test out the headphone feature...

Unfortunately, I can't get my Fiio K3 to work even when I switch it to UAC1 mode. And the volume in my headphones is way too low if I plug directly into the Dualsense.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Do anyone know if the Apple Dongle (3.5 to USB C) works on PS5?
Actually I'm interested in PS4 too (with an USB C > USB A adapter ofc)
This one:

cover-image
Any news on this? thanks

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Bah, its 3am and I thought it would be a good time to test out the headphone feature...

Unfortunately, I can't get my Fiio K3 to work even when I switch it to UAC1 mode. And the volume in my headphones is way too low if I plug directly into the Dualsense.
Yeah it sucks. Mine sound ok thru the DS, not as loud as I'd like but it'll have to do for now. But at least they're louder than using my USB DAC. Thru the DAC I'd crank it all the way up and it's only passable at that volume.

I'm trying to find a cheap solution to the volume issue, short of replacing my DAC/Amp or adding another amp in the chain, I'm coming up with nothing :/

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
Do anyone know if the Apple Dongle (3.5 to USB C) works on PS5?
Actually I'm interested in PS4 too (with an USB C > USB A adapter ofc)
This one:

cover-image

If it doesn't, any USB soundcard will work on PS3/PS4/PS5 https://www.amazon.com/DuKabel-ProS...&keywords=dukabel+audio&qid=1605784217&sr=8-2

No need to use this adapter specifically.

If you want something that's excellent and really loud, the Sharkoon Gaming DAC is great: https://www.amazon.de/Sharkoon-Gami...rds=sharkoon+gaming+dac&qid=1605784358&sr=8-1

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
If it doesn't, any USB soundcard will work on PS3/PS4/PS5 https://www.amazon.com/DuKabel-ProS...&keywords=dukabel+audio&qid=1605784217&sr=8-2

No need to use this adapter specifically.

If you want something that's excellent and really loud, the Sharkoon Gaming DAC is great: https://www.amazon.de/Sharkoon-Gaming-DAC-Pro-V2-schwarz/dp/B08DTC51GV/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_de_DE=�M�%u017D��&dchild=1&keywords=sharkoon+gaming+dac&qid=1605784358&sr=8-1
I've asked about the Apple one because is known to be very good compared to any other "cheap" dongle.
I'll take a look at that Sharkoon thanks.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
so the steelseries blog says the arctis pro wireless will need a firmware update, but cant seem to find where they keep the firmware updates??
I've been looking for this, seems its not out yet, BUT it should work fine without it. I think the update only adds the "PS5" text to the little screen...

Just set it to PS4 and it should work fine (don't have my PS5 to test yet).

Also if you couldn't find any firmware update, you need to connect to PC via USB and download steelseries engine

sifi36

May 28, 2020
I've just tried a cheap USB to optical converter with my Topping E30 (UAC2 DAC) and it's working as it should be, with correct stereo polarity and volume. I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work with any DAC or receiver that has spdif or coaxial inputs. This is my first post so I'm not sure on the etiquette of a product recommendation, but it's easily found on Amazon.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
I've just tried a cheap USB to optical converter with my Topping E30 (UAC2 DAC) and it's working as it should be, with correct stereo polarity and volume. I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work with any DAC or receiver that has spdif or coaxial inputs. This is my first post so I'm not sure on the etiquette of a product recommendation, but it's easily found on Amazon.
Can you post a link?

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I got my audio extractor in yesterday. It works fine. It sucks to lose out on 3d audio (and 120hz), but it's better than the poor audio I had before.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Is bluetooth compression actually noticeable if you plug a DAC (and amazing headphones) into the Dual Sense's audio jack?
It's kinda hard to believe if you're not listening to audio especially designed to make compression shortcomings more noticeable.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017

SamuelBeckwit

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the answer! I'll see if I can score that adapter in Japan.

I'm not even sure if my TV supports 2.1 but I bought it new in January of last year, so I think it should :)

I wonder if there is any solution that works with HDMI 2.1...
They definitely ship to Japan and offer a discount to ¥3095. It's currently sold out, but you can find the info here. https://blog.astrogaming.com/2020/10/astro-hdmi-audio-adapter-for-playstation-5/

I'm sure there are better ones that support 2.1, but I didn't have much luck with a brief search. Good luck.

Last edited:

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if i connect a dac to my televisions optical connection would i be able to fully use all the audio options of any device that is connected to it by hdmi? or do i have to connect it directly to the device?

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
if i connect a dac to my televisions optical connection would i be able to fully use all the audio options of any device that is connected to it by hdmi? or do i have to connect it directly to the device?
Wondering the same thing, I tried using my heaphones on the ps5 controller and boy the quality is horrendous lol.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wondering the same thing, I tried using my heaphones on the ps5 controller and boy the quality is horrendous lol.
yeah i'm mostly wondering about the ps5 since it doesn't have an optical connection and i also want to use it on my shield as well for other content. it would just be easier to connect it to my tv and forget about it.

sifi36

May 28, 2020
Thanks!
If this really worked like you said and the volume was good, I guess I'll grab it and give it a shot.

Levels are exactly the same as with my DAC connected to my computer via USB, hopefully it works for you. A little frustrating that the PS5 doesn't natively support UAC2 devices, but at least there's a relatively cheap fix.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Any news on this? thanks
Sadly it did not pick it up as an audio output device at all. When plugged in with headphones in, nothing happens at all. Bit of a shame!
I think the Apple dongle is a simple adapter. The ports on tablets and phones are ready to be used with USB-C headphones, and there's a DAC and amp inside the device that sends the correct output if USB headphones are detected. The PS5 doesn't have a DAC and amp connected to the USB, so passive headphones (and adapters) don't work.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I think the Apple dongle is a simple adapter. The ports on tablets and phones are ready to be used with USB-C headphones, and there's a DAC and amp inside the device that sends the correct output if USB headphones are detected. The PS5 doesn't have a DAC and amp connected to the USB, so passive headphones (and adapters) don't work.
The Apple USB dongle has a DAC inside of it, this is why I thought it would easily work:

www.audioreviews.org

Apple Audio Adapter Review - The One To Beat • Music For The Masses

A thorough review of the Apple audio adapter (both Lightning and USB-C versions) by Jürgen Kraus.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
The Apple USB dongle has a DAC inside of it, this is why I thought it would easily work:

www.audioreviews.org

Apple Audio Adapter Review - The One To Beat • Music For The Masses

A thorough review of the Apple audio adapter (both Lightning and USB-C versions) by Jürgen Kraus.
Ah, interesting! I stand corrected.

Edit: more guesswork from me. It's clear that Sony has failed to include support for the most up-to-date USB DACs, and it would be very unlike Apple to use a DAC that wasn't up-to-date. So I'm still unsurprised it didn't work, but for a different reason.

Last edited:

ne1

Oct 27, 2017
It actually is a little DAC+amp and quite a decent one as well. So it's really a shame that it doesn't work.
Audiosciencereviews measurements of it.

Ah, already answered I see.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Is bluetooth compression actually noticeable if you plug a DAC (and amazing headphones) into the Dual Sense's audio jack?
It's kinda hard to believe if you're not listening to audio especially designed to make compression shortcomings more noticeable.
I don't have a DualSense here to test -and I don't know that feature works on PC yet, to do that testing- but the DualShock 4 was receiving audio at 32 kHz, which is much worse than CD quality (44 kHz).
On top of that, the headphone output itself was pretty weak.
I'm sure the DualSense has improved, but it's not going to be a high fidelity experience.

Here you go!

Signstek HIFI USB to Coaxial S: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Free delivery and returns on eligible orders. Buy Signstek HIFI USB to Coaxial S/PDIF Converter Decoder to Convert Digital to Analogue Signal, Mini USB DAC PCM 2704 Chipset with USB Cable at Amazon UK.
Thanks for testing this and posting your results - it's one of the devices I was looking into for my own setup.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
This is something I saved as a draft because I wanted to test it more (optical), but I'll post it now..since someone else confirmed theirs worked as it should.

If it supports anything higher than 96 kHz it's definitely a UAC2 device, which the PS5 does not currently support.
There are less expensive devices which are limited to 48/96 kHz, and are likely to be UAC1 devices.

What if I told you that I ordered a Dac that night (not the one I posted)..it has Optical & Coaxial + 3.5mm output. Supports up to 192kHz. It came in... I plugged it in. And it's working. 👀

At least the 3.5mm output is working. And I don't know if it's maxing out at 96kHz. I had my brother play Cold War with just his headset connected to DualSense... then told him to exit the game, plugged in the new dac.. changed audio output settings to the dac (yes it was there), checked to make sure 3D Audio was not disabled. Told him to fire up the Cold War again, and when he played a match..he said it was louder and more clear. He was able to sense sound around him more often. (At one point he thought I told him to throw a grenade, but it was someone in the game to his left, that said it).

Now I haven't tested the optical connection because I can't find my cable at the moment. But it should work. As long as it sends PCM 2.0 to my Sony MDR-HW700DS, I'M GOOD!

Also I had to pull out the mic connected to the headset, because it was causing sound issues. But the DualSense' mic worked perfectly after.

Now I already wrote too much. Here is the device. But it makes me wonder if there are other more expensive/advanced ones that the PS5 supports.... OR did that recent PS5 firmware update expand support. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Reiyin DA-DD
61%2BxH9WrdbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Amazon has it for $27 Prime Shipping.

I don't know if this will help others, but it's perfect for my situation. I just don't trust Sony to unlock 3D Audio through HDMI anytime soon.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
This is something I saved as a draft because I wanted to test it more (optical), but I'll post it now..since someone else confirmed theirs worked as it should.

What if I told you that I ordered a Dac that night (not the one I posted)..it has Optical & Coaxial + 3.5mm output. Supports up to 192kHz. It came in... I plugged it in. And it's working. 👀

At least the 3.5mm output is working. And I don't know if it's maxing out at 96kHz. I had my brother play Cold War with just his headset connected to DualSense... then told him to exit the game, plugged in the new dac.. changed audio output settings to the dac (yes it was there), checked to make sure 3D Audio was not disabled. Told him to fire up the Cold War again, and when he played a match..he said it was louder and more clear. He was able to sense sound around him more often. (At one point he thought I told him to throw a grenade, but it was someone in the game to his left, that said it).

Now I haven't tested the optical connection because I can't find my cable at the moment. But it should work. As long as it sends PCM 2.0 to my Sony MDR-HW700DS, I'M GOOD!

Also I had to pull out the mic connected to the headset, because it was causing sound issues. But the DualSense' mic worked perfectly after.

Now I already wrote too much. Here is the device. But it makes me wonder if there are other more expensive/advanced ones that the PS5 supports.... OR did that recent PS5 firmware update expand support. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Reiyin DA-DD
61%2BxH9WrdbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Amazon has it for $27 Prime Shipping.

I don't know if this will help others, but it's perfect for my situation. I just don't trust Sony to unlock 3D Audio through HDMI anytime soon.
Huh, that is unusual.
I wonder if it switches between UAC1 and UAC2 modes when you toggle the headphone/digital output switch, or if there's some other reason that it's working.
UAC1 can definitely only support up to 96 kHz though.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Did you try it with 3D audio turned off? What I found is that 3D Audio on is absolutely awful sounding unless the game is built to support it. If it isn't made for 3D audio, rather than revert to a normal audio stream, Sony pumps out pure garbage. Turning 3D Audio off resulted in a much more satisfying stream imo.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
No clue where i would find this option, im talking about quality as in a music signal over bluetooth just is not good to a good ol wired and direct sound.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I don't have a DualSense here to test -and I don't know that feature works on PC yet, to do that testing- but the DualShock 4 was receiving audio at 32 kHz, which is much worse than CD quality (44 kHz).
On top of that, the headphone output itself was pretty weak.
I'm sure the DualSense has improved, but it's not going to be a high fidelity experience.
32kHz reminds me of pre-MP3 era (or not pre-MP3 but before consumer grade PCs were powerful enough to decompress MP3 on the fly without problems), you'd get the file size down by choosing lower bitrate/sample-rate and then some wav-compressor that was way less efficient than MP3.

Anyway, theoretically 32kHz could put out audio frequencies up to 16kHz if I'm not mistaken. That's so high pitched, you wouldn't really notice it with other wavelengths coming through the headphones simultaneously. Meaning... the question if Dualshock 4 (or DualSense) bluetooth compression isn't good enough / noticably worse / humanly discernable... that question is not really answered. Maybe it's not the signal and just that the controller can't drive good headphones and with a good DAC it wouldn't be noticeable.

jhbass

Nov 20, 2020
I have an Audioengine D1 that worked fine on my PS4 but not so much when I connect it to my PS5 (USB or USB-C) it powers on and is recognized as an audio output device but there is no audio. I'm hoping that a firmware update will change that.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if this helps anyone but folks wanting to use HDMI audio output might find use with this or a similar device

www.astrogaming.com

HDMI to Optical Adaptor | ASTRO Gaming

Order the HDMI to Optical Adaptor from ASTRO Gaming, a division of Logitech G for a clear & immersive audio experience. Shop now!

Astro are selling this as a means of making their mixamps compatible with the PS5. There might be cheaper ones available on amazon, as this looks like something quite generic that's just Astro branded. Still, I'll probably get one for my mixamp, particularly because I want separate game and chat audio (so game audio from HDMI and chat audio via USB).

onyxxxxxxx

Banned
Nov 4, 2020
That is a total shame both new consoles dropped optical.... I cant go away from my DAC, it would be like telling me to buy a CRT TV...
Did it work for someone for the TV to pass the sound from HDMI through to the DAC on optical?
I can set my TV to 'external audio system', this worked with PS4.
Console HDMI to TV -> TV Optical to DAC Optical -> glorious high fidelity sound ;)

OP
OP
leng jai

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
That is a total shame both new consoles dropped optical.... I cant go away from my DAC, it would be like telling me to buy a CRT TV...
Did it work for someone for the TV to pass the sound from HDMI through to the DAC on optical?
Console HDMI to TV -> TV Optical to DAC Optical -> glorious high fidelity sound ;)

That's what did all last gen and it still mostly works now. On PS5 you lose 3D audio with that method as it can't send Tempest over HDMI.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
You won't get the 3D audio this way. But after using the 3D audio, you're not missing much

onyxxxxxxx

Banned
Nov 4, 2020
thanks. i thought at first 3D Audio was something special, but it kind of comes across as a poor mans HRTF now. I never had an issue with classic stereo locating things in any direction in gaming, especially since moving to high end gear.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's really easy to split audio off of HDMI using an audio extractor, I got one for like $30 on Amazon and it works fine. It loses the Tempest 3D audio if you do that though so that's why I'm using a Sound BlasterX G6.

Bran

Oct 25, 2017
Ended up using an old Sound Blaster I had lying around and connected it to an amp so I don't need to screw with the volume every time. Still mad at the lack of optical out.

jhbass

Nov 20, 2020
That's strange that it comes up on the UI but doesn't play. Usually it just isn't detected at all like my Bifrost.
I know, I tried different cables and ports just to be sure. I tried a USB headset I use for video calls and the same thing happens. By this time I'm thinking that there might an issue w/the console so as a Hail Mary I plugged a USB speakerphone in and it worked just fine.
So who knows?