• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
I hate that catch-all "..." button.

It's in too many mobile app UI's too, but it's just a lazy way of piling a bunch of other options in a button that the user taps as a last resort of "ok, I'm not finding what I need so I guess I'll tap this "..." button and hope for the best."

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
To the person who says it's the worst console UI since the OG XB1 UI, I mean, yeah, but it goes like:

PS4
Current Xbox
PS5
OG Xbox One

It's not like it's right next to the unbelievably bad OG Xbox One UI.

It's a terrible UI all around.

It's like everything I want to do with it takes more steps than it should.

This is the main problem overriding the entire UI. Everything is more complicated than it should be.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Good. Get the social media stuff out of my console UI. At least hide it away somewhere.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
User Banned (3 days): Threadwhining, multiple prior infractions for drive-by trolling and console wars
Era really going all out on the Sony doom and gloom today huh

And Microsoft got a ton shit for it pre launch. When people are looking forward to a new generation, they want to see new stuff, and Sony gave them that.
That was always goofy lmao. If you launch a new os it shouldn't be lacking in features in comparison to the previous one. Now y'all gotta wait 3 years for shit like folders. They could have reskinned it or something but kept the core OS the same. The only good part of the OS is the smoothness which is an SSD thing.

Oct 27, 2017
True, but it's mostly because it still feels like a beta dashboard. They just fixed the worst bugs with the system software, probably they are going to add more things during the next months.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
And Microsoft got a ton shit for it pre launch. When people are looking forward to a new generation, they want to see new stuff, and Sony gave them that.
And those people were wrong. If nothing else, Microsoft is a software house, and they recognize the value of iteration and not just throwing everything away and starting fresh for sake of "ooh, new shiny"

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
On the plus side, the UI is incredibly smooth. The stores are natively built into the OS and it shows.

The OS music is also pretty epic.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I'd guess the decision to make a brand new interface for the new console bit them in the ass when the pandemic hit and lots of basic functionality had to be delayed. I can't imagine them actually deciding to release what they released, it must have been a forced decision.

Hopefully I'm right, because that'd mean it's just a matter of time.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
To the person who says it's the worst console UI since the OG XB1 UI, I mean, yeah, but it goes like:

PS4
Current Xbox
PS5
OG Xbox One

It's not like it's right next to the unbelievably bad OG Xbox One UI.

This is the main problem overriding the entire UI. Everything is more complicated than it should be.

I'll be honest, I do sorta miss being able to see whatever you were watching/playing picture-in-picture on the dashboard when you went back. Functionally it was pretty useless, but it looked cool.

Deleted member 54073

Banned
Feb 22, 2019

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
That's because of the new theme and the SSD
Don't get me wrong, I prefer Xbox approach here and thus I am hoping PS6 OS and UI will just be PS5 2.0 and not build from scratch.
And those people were wrong. If nothing else, Microsoft is a software house, and they recognize the value of iteration and not just throwing everything away and starting fresh for sake of "ooh, new shiny"
To be fair Xbox just realized this for consoles this generation. Previously they've thrown away their work, too.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Theres a lot wrong with the PS5 UI but I am so glad they got rid of that "what's new" tab of ads and useless garbage.

Agree. That plus the integration of the store and the all games view on the last tab (like the Switch) are improvements. I really just miss the ability to organize and create folders. I don't really do a lot of multiplayer or party gaming though, so overall I don't mind it feeling more solitary.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Personally I don't mind it, its not bad but its not amazing. With regards to my comment , it just gets tiresome when all Era consists of is "Sony is bad" threads lately.

Well, maybe if Sony stopped generating bad news that wouldn't happen. This forum is frequently seen as very pro Sony generally so that should tell you something.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I...like it? I just go in and play my games or browse the store to buy and then play my games. Maybe its because I don't really interact with all the additional "online" features that much but for me this works just fine. It is the fastest, most responsive UI I've ever seen on a console and it'll only get better.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I like it. It's fast and looks nice. I don't really need it to do more than that.

My biggest issue is with the way to Playstation button works. Putting the console into rest mode should not take as many button presses as it does.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
The PS5 UI is terrible and somehow they manage to make some parts of it even slower.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, it could use some livelier content. But I'd rather they work on other things first, like how the console sometimes powers itself down when I try to start it out of rest mode.

Aug 14, 2020
The UI is deceptively simple and streamlined when you first use it. At first I thought it was great, but once you're using it regularly, you come to realise how awkward it is. Simple things are buried under multiple menus, loved features are completely absent, no real growth, etc.

Eyad

Nov 17, 2020
It needs improvements for sure, but it is better than PS4. The only step back is the store (the website too). It is nice that it is part of the system and doesn't take ages to load, but the new design is just bad.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I don't mind the lack of social stuff, quite the contrary. I actually wish they would offer more privacy options. I'm always offline, so I don't see why anyone should know when and how long I've played something, or when I've earned a trophy. Now, all those details are compiled into one, and I'd need to hide my trophies altogether, if I want to keep other information private.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I had to look up where to find trophies for Ratchet and Clank upon picking up the game again.

Remember when you can just hit the PS button and access them from a designated slot on the dash in a nice organized list?

Don't get me started on the auto-HDR nonsense. The store search, the multiple clicks needed to put to sleep mode, the lack of holding PS button taking you to a quick menu for most used features. I also don't find the new cards a worthwhile addition. They are messy and irritating,

I hate the new dash experience basically.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
All they had to do was throw a "PS5 theme" as the default shinny new theme over the ps4s UI and continue to make improvements from there. Ironically everyone was talking about how next gen the UI was before even actually getting a chance to use it, and now realizing how crappy it is compared to the ps4s UI.

The HDR container triggers me the most, an every other company figured it out years ago...Including Sony themselves on the ps4/pro. At least give us the options To match content format like the fire stick/Apple TV and other HDR capable boxes do...

Sly

May 11, 2018
The UI is the worst I have ever deal with personally and it makes the UX a really really bad one.

Two days ago I got an email to a survey from PS that was mainly about my PS5 experience. My answers were pretty negative on that one.

Sony need to do what MS did with the Xbox One UI and completely redo it, maybe just go back to the PS4 UI and improve on that a bit (and while they are at it revert back to the previous PS Store UI as well).

Nov 13, 2017
I like the feel of it a lot, honestly. I never interact with the social features on consoles, as I mostly play single player games. Or, if I do play multiplayer games, it's with friends that I communicate with over Discord or something. I like that things are silo'd. I never found any of the social information useful on PS4, it always felt like clutter. Just get me into the game I want to play.

That said, I agree that accessing the social features is a complete pain in the ass. Trophies feel hidden. Not tucked out of the way, straight up hidden. I also literally never want to access a game's hub, so I don't understand why that option even exists, since you can just go to the main menu and press down on the d-pad to access it. But the game hub is the same thing, just....by itself? Weird choice for a hardly used feature, I'd imagine. The hub doesn't display any information, either.

I still don't think it's anywhere near as bad as the original Xbox One UI. I legitimately could not find anything I wanted on that system and I felt like there was information overload at all times.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PlayStation console UI's are much like Call of Duty games.

Each new one removes half of the features of the previous one, and then it takes the entire life of the software to get it back to where the previous one was.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love it. But I also love the Switch UI, so yeah. I grew to hate the PS4 UI, due to how incredibly slow it was.