• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
One of my two Dual Senses now has a mushy X button. Weird.

Returned it to amazon. Has anybody had this issue?
I got one that has a circle button that required a bit of extra force to push sometimes depending on the angle of the press and I sent it back for one that turned out perfect. I guess maybe dual senses have some quality control issues.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
GTA V says it's installed, but I can't launch it, or delete it. When I go into storage, neither the console or my extended storage show it present. I'd like to play but I have no idea how to proceed if I can't seem to just delete and reinstall.

It also only shows as installed from "Your Collection" not even under the "Installed" section of my library. I've tried restoring licenses and rebuilding the database and I still cannot launch, find, or delete this game to try and "reinstall" it.

Last edited:

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Nope not yet as I get it also. Just have to take the disc out and put it back in and it works. So I don't think it is the drive at all (hopefully)
It's coming from the external HD (I'm guessing heavily dependant which one you use here).

I unplugged it and haven't been getting it anymore.
Edit: hasn't been solved by the latest firmware update either, I'm afraid.

Apr 28, 2020
So with those with issues of crashing and having to rebuild the database, is this only happening with Miles Morales and Demon's Souls, or does it just seem like those are the main culprits because they are the 2 most popular games on the system. Other games also causing the same crashes?
Just wondering whether to hold off until those games are patched, if at all.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
So with those with issues of crashing and having to rebuild the database, is this only happening with Miles Morales and Demon's Souls, or does it just seem like those are the main culprits because they are the 2 most popular games on the system. Other games also causing the same crashes?
I've played miles and haven't had a single crash since I got the system.

Doing everything people advise against.

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
Just had the system crash during Miles Morales like a lot of other people are having. Game completely froze and a white flashing light on the system after I tried turning it off. Had to completely reset the PS5 and have it rebuild the system.

It seems to be a very common thing after doing a lot of digging around and it's putting me off playing it now. I don't get why this hasn't at least been addressed, let alone fixed by now.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
Small Dualsense issue:

My left analog stick makes an audible *click* sound when I move it to the right, while my right analog stick does it when I move it down. It is just quieter than a computer mouse click, so still pretty distinct. To be clear, this is not the sound of it hitting "the wall", rather whenever it passes a certain threshold in a given direction, it will make the click. It's especially distracting since it doesn't correspond with a singular button press but rather a smooth analog action. I'll be running between enemies in Demon's Souls and my left stick will be clicking like crazy.

I think it may have just started today? Might have taken me a bit to notice it but I played a lot yesterday with headphones off in a quiet environment and don't recall ever hearing it.

Anyone else dealing with this analog stick sound?
Mine does it too in my two sticks, towards the right in the left one and towards the left in the right one, is like the stick touching a rubbery bump. Super distracting. That happened too in the Switch pro controller that i turned back.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Just had the system crash during Miles Morales like a lot of other people are having. Game completely froze and a white flashing light on the system after I tried turning it off. Had to completely reset the PS5 and have it rebuild the system.

It seems to be a very common thing after doing a lot of digging around and it's putting me off playing it now. I don't get why this hasn't at least been addressed, let alone fixed by now.

Did it crash during gameplay or a cutscene?

Have played Miles for a few hours now with no crash so hoping not to get the same problem.

Sep 24, 2020
Anyone know if it's safe to download my PS4 cloud saves from PS+?? Wanna play some PS4 games but carry on with my progress. I don't use an external HDD.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Just had my PlayStation 5 turn off while in rest mode. This happens constantly and is very annoying. When this happens I can't turn it on with the controller. I have to press the button on the system, which will beep, but not turn the system on. From there I can turn it on as normal either with the controller or the button.

I know this happens to other people but does anyone know what causes it or how to prevent it?

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
My PS5 sounds like it's going to take off into orbit when the Ghost of Tsushima disk is spinning. Doesn't do it with any of my other PS5 or PS4 disk games I'v tried.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
Did it crash during gameplay or a cutscene?

Have played Miles for a few hours now with no crash so hoping not to get the same problem.

yeah wondering this as well, finished miles at around 16hours without an issue.
this happening for some systems and not others is actually more worrying, since it might indicate hw issue, not software.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I think the issue is specifically related to the use of an external drive rather than what is on it.
Is there even the slightest inkling of what's causing the problems on external drives? I bought an SSD a few months ago specifically for this purpose, and it's been working perfectly fine on my PS4.

Is it possibly a Rest Mode thing, where the system is shutting off the USB drive while the game running from that drive is asleep?

That's really annoying, since I won't have a lot of PS5 games to start with, and I was saving a few of the jet-engine games to finish off on PS5.

FisherTea

May 24, 2020
Is there even the slightest inkling of what's causing the problems on external drives? I bought an SSD a few months ago specifically for this purpose, and it's been working perfectly fine on my PS4.

Is it possibly a Rest Mode thing, where the system is shutting off the USB drive while the game running from that drive is asleep?

That's really annoying, since I won't have a lot of PS5 games to start with, and I was saving a few of the jet-engine games to finish off on PS5.

I haven't seen any confirmation on the exact cause. Given the issues people are having with rest mode it could very well be to do with that.

Ive had issues in the past using an external drive on Xbox One using 'Instant On' (Xbox Rest Mode equivalent) but nothing on the scale of what I've seen in this and other threads.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen any confirmation on the exact cause. Given the issues people are having with rest mode it could very well be to do with that.

Ive had issues in the past using an external drive on Xbox One using 'Instant On' (Xbox Rest Mode equivalent) but nothing on the scale of what I've seen in this and other threads.
Yeah, I'll probably just avoid Rest Mode for a while (now that I'm getting a PS5 in the next few days).

It works perfectly fine on PS4, though. I can put it in Rest Mode all day with a game running off the SSD (all my games are on the SSD now), and it starts back up just fine (even new ones, I've been playing Valhalla quite a bit on PS4). I don't see why they can't just do what they already did on PS4. The OS isn't that different that they can't just port over the USB interface settings from one system to the other.

FisherTea

May 24, 2020
Yeah, I'll probably just avoid Rest Mode for a while (now that I'm getting a PS5 in the next few days).

It works perfectly fine on PS4, though. I can put it in Rest Mode all day with a game running off the SSD (all my games are on the SSD now), and it starts back up just fine (even new ones, I've been playing Valhalla quite a bit on PS4). I don't see why they can't just do what they already did on PS4. The OS isn't that different that they can't just port over the USB interface settings from one system to the other.

To clarify, my experience with PS5 rest mode has been mostly fine. I've had the system lock up once on startup and that's it. No controller charging issues here either.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
My PS5 sounds like it's going to take off into orbit when the Ghost of Tsushima disk is spinning. Doesn't do it with any of my other PS5 or PS4 disk games I'v tried.
Your disc is warped or unbalanced. This is known to happen. If it's really bad I would return it for a replacement.
you have the golden console
I platinumed Miles, and platinumed bugsnax, and replayed BC games. Never crashed.

It's not a "golden hardware", because I could make it crash voluntarily. What people advise against is not very scientific, it's just the last thing they did before it crashed. There's been bug fixes to some games and a new firmware.

If I had repetitive issues, I would do a true factory reset, avoid rest mode, and backup only the game saves and system settings to USB before doing a factory reset.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This new firmware update has fucked up my PS5. Multiple forced rest modes, two full freezes in demon's souls. This time I started getting massive input lag, and then it froze. This fucking sucks.

GoldPunch

Apr 20, 2018
Turkey
Guys, so u really think our memory chips are getting 94c celcius? According to Gamersnexus video, one of our memory pairs reaches 94 ° C, which is quite a high figure. No statement has been received from Sony yet. What are we gonna do? Maybe we will have problems after a few years using it??

Last edited:

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
Guys, so u really think our memory chips are getting 94c celcius? According to Gamersnexus video, one of our memory pairs reaches 94 ° C, which is quite a high figure. No statement has been received from Sony yet. What do you think about it? What are we gonna do? Maybe we will have problems after a few years using it??

no need to get alarmed at the moment i think
sony probably has much more accurate readings and tests on those figures.
no reason to think of them releasing something without making sure it stays within acceptable thermal headrooms at various conditions. especially after seeing how far they went with main soc cooling.

one thing to note though, in that interview with system designer he brought up it was more of a challenge to cool back side of the board then the front. so the rams at the back will probably end up running on hotter side in any case.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Demon's Souls needs an update to connect to the server. PS5 wont let me download an update for Demon's Souls because of some error. What should I do?

MrFox

Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Guys, so u really think our memory chips are getting 94c celcius? According to Gamersnexus video, one of our memory pairs reaches 94 ° C, which is quite a high figure. No statement has been received from Sony yet. What do you think about it? What are we gonna do? Maybe we will have problems after a few years using it??
It's improbable they could measure this in a way that doesn't destroy the factory thermal compound on the memory chip, and GN didn't explain how they did the measurement, and the picture they provided shows it was completely destroyed by removing the EMI shield. So I don't believe it until they provide such information.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
no on the game icon on the dash, press the start button and select "manage game content".

no idea how it works for a PS4 disc but at least on my digital copy that is broken for me : (

it works fine under storage as you say

but that's right a few days ago. It should have been ready for launch the whole situation was so messy
Sorry it took me a while to get back to you.
Yes, it works. Shows me all the dlc I have installed

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
PS5 is crashing for mutiple reasons, Spiderman, Demon Souls, rest mode, ext usb hdd, the reasons are many and not random. I just started my PS5 and it went straight to crash and database rebuild. Firmware is a buggy mess confirmed. Some have no issues at all, but there are defintely problems

GoldPunch

Apr 20, 2018
Turkey
It's improbable they could measure this in a way that doesn't destroy the factory thermal compound on the memory chip, and GN didn't explain how they did the measurement, and the picture they provided shows it was completely destroyed by removing the EMI shield. So I don't believe it until they provide such information.

Are you sure the thermal pads in the PS5 are special? So maybe it's disposable? As seen in the video, after removing the shield, thermal pad residues appear on the chips. I don't think that thermal pad will work well again, when you close the shield again as you said.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry it took me a while to get back to you.
Yes, it works. Shows me all the dlc I have installed

all good thanks so much!

thats So weird though. I don't know if it's because I have a digital PS5 copy or what but mine works until it syncs with PSN and than doesn't. So frustrating. Appreciate the help though!

MrFox

Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Are you sure the thermal pads in the PS5 are special? So maybe it's disposable? As seen in the video, after removing the shield, thermal pad residues appear on the chips. I don't think that thermal pad will work well again, when you close the shield again as you said.
The info is from the PS5 lead engineer's interview. He said they used a compound that is applied in liquid form and cures into a rubbery material. Since this is something quite rare in the industry, we have no simple way of replicating it's performance without the datasheet. Maybe it's the same as silpads, maybe it's better, maybe it's worse... who knows?

Supposing he cleaned the chips with IPA and replaced the solidified stuff with a standard silpad, those require a force applied to compress it into the surface texture. The cured compound doesn't need this, since it's basically glued to both surfaces. So the construction doesn't seem designed for silpads if it can't apply a pressure on the pads. Other types of very thick gummy pads are compliant without compression, but they don't have a good performance since they are too thick and are not filled with zinc oxide, etc...

Last edited:

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
Well, suddenly 2 crashes in a row playing Until Dawn after completing it without any issue. First one right when clicking chapter select and the second one during gameplay.

WTF while I'm typing this mu disc drive is going crazy, like starting to spin so loud and then just at 1 or 2 seconds interval.

And since yesterday's update the disc won't stop spinning even after loading the game, even though before the update the disc won't do that (I'm playing Until Dawn).

What the hell, Sony.

EDIT: all these error are ocurring after whatever mess they implemented with yesterday's update. Fan is also louder and coil whine more noticeable.

Whenever stock is available again, I'm returning this.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Not only were my Video settings reset but my Audio settings were reset randomly. Guess I'll go through every setting to see what else is wrong.

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland

Miles Morales crashed twice on me, but the PS5 never turned off, or needed to rebuild the database, just normal crashes.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I've got an activity card for a joinable party in Monster Hunter World that's just permanently there in the first position on the left whenever I press the PS button. Is there no way of deleting this shit? The party isn't even available anymore, it's from almost a month ago.

dark_preacher

Nov 2, 2017
For folks having wired Ethernet issues, set a static ip and manually put in all of your settings. Leave mtu at auto and out in google dns for primary and secondary dns.

was getting disconnects a few times anight but knock on wood it's been rock solid since these changes.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
My disc drive is incredibly loud and spins up for seemingly no reason, even when playing digital games. Any fix to this?

Oct 25, 2017
I'll describe the issues I've had with the PS5 since I got it on launch day.

*Major issues:
-Console completely shut down during a Miles Morales playthrough. After reboot the console would give no video or audio, but would send my TV intermittent signals (My TV would switch to HDR constantly). Disconnecting and reconnecting cables and power cycling did nothing. I could boot into Safe Mode. Rebuilding database did nothing. Restore to factory settings did nothing. Fully resetting the console with a new firmware file from Sony's site did nothing. On my very last attempt I booted into Safe Mode again and selected to boot in 1080p mode. This did the trick. After boot, I tried changing the video setting to 4K, and the issue happened again (Screen went to black, no audio). I imagined the video chip on my console was busted and unable to display 4K anymore. A day before sending it back to Sony I decided to try and set it to 4K again, and it somehow worked. The issue has not happened again since.

*Minor issues:
-While my account was open, my brother decided to create an account of his own. After creating the new account and switching to it while mine was still opened, the OS slowed down to a crawl. The console would either not react to any commands, or perform them several seconds later. Everything was slow as molasses to the point it seemed the console was frozen. We decided to delete his account for now.

-My NVME-to-USB enclosure (Asus Strix Arion) was not compatible with Rest Mode, asking for repairs and closing my games after waking the console up. I decided to switch to another enclosure with an ASM2362 chipset and it works perfectly.

*Game related issues:
-While playing Spider-Man: Miles Morales, the game began to perform extremely choppy after a Fast Travel. The game would seem to stop to load every 3 seconds or so. Easily solved by closing and restarting the game.

-Loading the game from Activity Cards will lock you to the suit you are currently using, unable to change it. Easily solved by starting the game normally from the dashboard.

So far that's pretty much it. Since I received the console I have not experienced any game crash (Except for the one I mentioned in the first section), no weird error codes, no nothing. I've been playing several PS4 games from the external drive without any issues whatsoever. Seems like my console is somehow pretty stable (Hope I'm not jinxing it). The disc drive can get loud, but only for a few seconds. I can't hear the fans at all, and I have not identified any "coil whine" or any other weird sounds (well, except the normal sounds of plastic cracking due to heat expansion and stuff like that).

MarcoGorgar

Oct 27, 2017
Rio de Janeiro
Hi people. My ps5 is working fine, I did some tests, so I left the last one "most worrying": connecting the external hard drive.

Some files when I try to delete, the following error happens ps5 "ce-107510-4". Do you know what it is and can you solve it at that moment? Thanks

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
GTA V says it's installed, but I can't launch it, or delete it. When I go into storage, neither the console or my extended storage show it present. I'd like to play but I have no idea how to proceed if I can't seem to just delete and reinstall.

It also only shows as installed from "Your Collection" not even under the "Installed" section of my library. I've tried restoring licenses and rebuilding the database and I still cannot launch, find, or delete this game to try and "reinstall" it.

I'm still having this issue, but now it's affecting multiple games. The Last of Us Part II for example. I don't understand what I need to do to be able to access or delete these games, or why this suddenly started happening. I'd already played GTAV and The Last of Us Part II previously on my PS5 with no issues. Has anyone else run into this or know a way to fix it?

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I'm still having this issue, but now it's affecting multiple games. The Last of Us Part II for example. I don't understand what I need to do to be able to access or delete these games, or why this suddenly started happening. I'd already played GTAV and The Last of Us Part II previously on my PS5 with no issues. Has anyone else run into this or know a way to fix it?
  • Where does the game actually say it's installed?
  • Are these digital or physical copies?
  • If digital, which user bought them? Are you logged in as that user?
  • If physical, is the disc in and being recognised?
  • Have you ever plugged external storage into your PS5?

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Is the picture constantly in HDR, even for BC PS4 games that don't support it? I played a bit of Overwatch and its like forcing HDR on the game

quesalupa

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
US
Is the picture constantly in HDR, even for BC PS4 games that don't support it? I played a bit of Overwatch and its like forcing HDR on the game
Yes, the system is constantly in an HDR layer that does it's best to attempt looking like SDR for non HDR content. If you know what you're playing is SDR you can just turn the HDR off in the picture options.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
  • Where does the game actually say it's installed?
  • Are these digital or physical copies?
  • If digital, which user bought them? Are you logged in as that user?
  • If physical, is the disc in and being recognised?
  • Have you ever plugged external storage into your PS5?
For the affected games, they show as installed under the all games section of the library. They don't show up when I tab over to "installed". But on the tiles for them, they show as installed. They have the downloadable symbol on the top right, the down arrow with three dots. In the storage settings, the games don't show on either my internal or external storage.

So far I'm only noticing this with digital games. I'm the user that bought them, and I'm signed in as myself.

I've had an external plugged in since day one.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, the system is constantly in an HDR layer that does it's best to attempt looking like SDR for non HDR content. If you know what you're playing is SDR you can just turn the HDR off in the picture options.

Ah ok. It didnt look bad just...different. Though I know my tv would sometimes freak out when the PS4 pro quickly swapped between SDR and HDR so maybe its for the best