• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
Dumb question but: Why the ps5 only download one thing at a time? Is this normal? Which settings to I have to move so I can download multiple games at times?

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
PSA: Using a Thunderbolt USB-C for external hard drives so far is working for me, no corruption or issues in sight. Plugged in front USB-C. Will post again if it breaks again in case someone is considering this possible workaround.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
So, are all the SM:R/ MM bugs ironed out, or not? Been waiting to buy this for ages, but no point until the issues are sorted...

Nov 5, 2017
So, are all the SM:R/ MM bugs ironed out, or not? Been waiting to buy this for ages, but no point until the issues are sorted...

I've been playing SM:R since I got my PS5 a week and a half ago and I've only had two problems with it -- one crash and one unresponsive controller, forcing me to have to pull the plug. I've been playing it a lot. I save often and, whenever I'm done, close the game before shutting down my PS5.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing SM:R since I got my PS5 a week and a half ago and I've only had two problems with it -- one crash and one unresponsive controller, forcing me to have to pull the plug. I've been playing it a lot. I save often and, whenever I'm done, close the game before shutting down my PS5.

Were each of those problems, a one off, or frequent/infrequent?

Nov 5, 2017
Were each of those problems, a one off, or frequent/infrequent?
One offs. It crashing was after a cutscene. Thankfully, it autosaved and began at the next cutscene. The unresponsive controller happened after I completed a Black Cat mission. Spider-Man just stood there. I couldn't move him but everything was running fine. It's as if the controller ran out of battery. Other than that, it has been perfect.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Does anyone know anything about USB splitters/docks that are sufficiently fast? I have VR, and an external HDD. I want to run them from the back of the console. Do I need a specific splitter?

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
One offs. It crashing was after a cutscene. Thankfully, it autosaved and began at the next cutscene. The unresponsive controller happened after I completed a Black Cat mission. Spider-Man just stood there. I couldn't move him but everything was running fine. It's as if the controller ran out of battery. Other than that, it has been perfect.

Ok, thank you.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
i keep repeating this from time to time, but using rest mode with low power setting, where it doesnt give power to usbs(so shuts down external drive too), and disables internet.
using it like that, didnt have an issue with rest mode, (tough its not much useful like that, its basically like turning the thing off completely)
but might give it a try, until some stability hits.

i am also closing games manually when not in use, and disabled auto-updates for games. did not have any game crashes or repair issues.
if someone having problems can try these, we can have an idea, if they help, or there might be hardware related problems changing from system to system

Deleted member 420

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw some visual flickering while playing Miles Morales today, has anyone else seen anything like that?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

Nope, Spider-Man remastered hard crashed for me yesterday, turning the console off. and still enough people reporting MM problems, even after the latest patch.

frankly, the problems will (maybe) be solved when Sony pushes out a more stable firmware. no one knows when this does happen though.
if it still isn´t solved after system and game updates Sony has a big problem on their hands.

Saw some visual flickering while playing Miles Morales today, has anyone else seen anything like that?

there are tons of people with artifacting problems reporting all over the internet. no one knows what this is, my theory is that is is an overclocked GPU that leads to problems. could even be the culprit for the hard crashes. which is why system updates need to happen fast now, could very well be a system setting turning into some kind of timebomb for many users.

i swear this fucking console has nothing but problems of all kinds...

Last edited:

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
@C.Mongler: I made a thread on the exact same issue last week. It's infuriating that you cannot start the warranty repair from Sony's website ATM. I got a support ticket with the instruction to input that number on the Hardware Support website -- and, nothing. I just get in that infinite loop of questions how to fix your issues that ends with the appeal to call Sony support directly. I went to my retailer instead, and now they're taking care with Sony themselves. However, I have no idea how fast this will be. And then they RANG UP on me when I called for a second time pinpointing this issue. I have since written a formal complaint, will see if they respond. I agree with you that it is absolutely unacceptable that Sony has not yet set up their hardware return shipment system. I tried again today and it's still not working. So go through your retailer if you can.
Hm, interesting. Unfortunately, my retailer is the king of not being well-equipped to handle nuanced product issues, Amazon. Given some past experiences with their customer service folks, I feel like really all they'll offer to do for me is accept a return and refund my purchase, which I can already do without having to chat with anyone. Considering it's not like Amazon needs my business, they probably can't be bothered to try and RMA my product for me. Idk, can give it a shot I guess.

Deleted member 420

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there are tons of people with artifacting problems reporting all over the internet. no one knows what this is, my theory is that is is an overclocked GPU that leads to problems. which is why system updates need to happen fast now.
Hope it can be fixed then. I googled it a bit and the stuff I was seeing online seemed much more severe than my own console. Mine was like half the screen would flash every now and then.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How long does it take for the PS5 repair coffin to arrive?

I had called Sony support yesterday, they said they'll ship me a box so I could send back the busted PS5, but couldn't say when it'll be shipped.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I don't want to create a thread for this (am I even authorized?) but it seems that different fans are being used inside PS5s. It's something already known? You can look at this site (very reliable AFAIK) for details:
https://www.lesnumeriques.com/conso...t-pas-dotees-du-meme-ventilateur-n157521.html

It's in french but it's nothing Google Translate couldn't handle. But in summary, one fan is louder than the other.
Almost to be expected if they just need parts from suppliers to meet demand. It will be luck of the draw on which ones you get. Also, I would wait to see some longevity on the fans to see which might be more reliable/quiet after longer usage. The quieter one now could wind up being noisy after a year compared to the slightly louder one now. Still too early to tell.

hokey1

Oct 25, 2017
How long does it take for the PS5 repair coffin to arrive?

I had called Sony support yesterday, they said they'll ship me a box so I could send back the busted PS5, but couldn't say when it'll be shipped.
For me ... I called on Monday, received box on Friday. Shipped back to them the same day. My PS5 showed up about an hour ago at my house. It was a different PS5. Seemed brand new and still on the old firmware.

Dec 15, 2017
I'm curious to hear from anyone that received a replacement about whether or not it resolved their issues. These issues seem so widespread.

I know of two people that weren't even able to have RMA's processed because the issues they outlined were apparently being fixed with firmware and were told to wait.

yumms

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me ... I called on Monday, received box on Friday. Shipped back to them the same day. My PS5 showed up about an hour ago at my house. It was a different PS5. Seemed brand new and still on the old firmware.
Thanks! Looks like I would need to wait longer due to the holidays. I called them yesterday, so I may have the box Saturday or next week.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I don't want to create a thread for this (am I even authorized?) but it seems that different fans are being used inside PS5s. It's something already known? You can look at this site (very reliable AFAIK) for details:
https://www.lesnumeriques.com/conso...t-pas-dotees-du-meme-ventilateur-n157521.html

It's in french but it's nothing Google Translate couldn't handle. But in summary, one fan is louder than the other.
They always multi-source this sort of component. People think one brand is better/worse but it's difficult to rule out it's simply unit-to-unit variation.

They place their microphone ridiculously close, which is a tell tale sign they struggled to create a proper test environment. It creates a big variations and complex reflections from hard surfaces nearby which mess up the test completely. It's a good rule to measure 1 meter away.

In general every doubling of the distance is 6db less, but that close it doesn't work so well.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Oh wow I had no idea. Are you sure, because that sounds like a terrible design decision. I tested it out on Fall Guys and that worked fine, has Fall Guys had a next gen patch?
I don't have confirmation from the developer or anything but that's the only thing that makes sense to me. I didn't know Fall Guys had in-game camera support? Or do you just mean you were able to stream the game with your camera in view? Because Dreams explicitly uses the PS4 camera for it's VR mode so that might be why there's some sort of PS5 HD camera lockout going on.

Nov 2, 2018
I don't have confirmation from the developer or anything but that's the only thing that makes sense to me. I didn't know Fall Guys had in-game camera support? Or do you just mean you were able to stream the game with your camera in view? Because Dreams explicitly uses the PS4 camera for it's VR mode so that might be why there's some sort of PS5 HD camera lockout going on.

I mean the later, and I'm pretty sure you're right. I tested a few PS4 games today and they all work.

RyanPrime_

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Anyone had their R2 button on the Dualsense lose its resistance and become really sensitive?

I went into Astrobot to test the Adaptive triggers and they still work, but when playing Destiny I literally have to move it a millimetre and I shoot

galvatron

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
Follow up on my insta-crash to crash after a few minutes when playing Spider-man Remastered or Miles Morales in Fidelity Mode:

Picked up a new PS5 from best buy today, downloaded the game, played for over an hour on Fidelity mode with zero issues in exactly the same location with the same wires as the PS5 that would crash.

If you're having this problem, I'm going to say you need to get your PS5 repaired or replaced.
I'm kind of happy I ran into this instead of someone who might have happily used a PS5 for months before finding it has an obscure hardware problem...

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
So I just got my PS5 and I have a question:

Can I see the speed of my current download? I'm downloading Demon's Souls but I think it's going slow. When I click on my downloads/uploads it just says how much time left but not the speed of the download like on PS4.

Also congrats on being so cheap Sony, why on earth would you make the cables included on the box so short?

Also: Still not safe to connect external storage right?

SnoopZ

Jul 30, 2019
Just had another crash while starting Valhalla, it crashed back to the home screen then I tried to start it again and it shut the PS5 down and had to hold the power button to restart it.

External HHD was not plugged in and Rest Mode was disabled.

I now suspect downloading and installing a game while starting Valhalla caused it as I don't normally do that.

Jan 20, 2019
Just had another crash while starting Valhalla, it crashed back to the home screen then I tried to start it again and it shut the PS5 down and had to hold the power button to restart it.

External HHD was not plugged in and Rest Mode was disabled.

I now suspect downloading and installing a game while starting Valhalla caused it as I don't normally do that.

Either that or your systim is already corrupted because of the initial crashs.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Not even a surprise at this point, there's been tons of reports of crashing while installing and playing at the same time. It's probably the most consistent crash-causing thing we've seen.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
After a pretty good experience overall, I just tried waking it up from sleep mode. No visuals and the light turns white. Tried a full shutdown and rebuilding the DB. Anyone with anything similar or suggestion on what to do next?

Hoping this isn't a serious issue : /

+ I feel so damned relieved right now. Looks like restoring DB finally did something after 20 min of no visuals. I'm going to stop using rest mode, I got way too comfortable.

Holding the power button down several seconds then restarting will hopefully fix it.
Thanks I would have tried this next.

Last edited:

SnoopZ

Jul 30, 2019
After a pretty good experience overall, I just tried waking it up from sleep mode. No visuals and the light turns white. Tried a full shutdown and rebuilding the DB. Anyone with anything similar or suggestion on what to do next?

Holding the power button down several seconds then restarting will hopefully fix it.

Vundu

Dec 9, 2017

+ I feel so damned relieved right now. Looks like restoring DB finally did something after 20 min of no visuals. I'm going to stop using rest mode, I got way too comfortable.

Thanks I would have tried this next.

Happens to me every couple of days.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't get plex to function correctly. I've made a secure server and it is on the site, I've added my files but the PS5 app sees the server but not the files.
I can't watch things from iPlayer.
USB doesn't work.

I just want to watch His Dark Materials in bed.

help.

DefiedFaith

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Did you factory reset your PS5 before sending it in for repair?

I'm sending mine in tomorrow and I'm not sure if I should factory reset it or just log out before sending it.

Dec 15, 2017
Can't get plex to function correctly. I've made a secure server and it is on the site, I've added my files but the PS5 app sees the server but not the files.
I can't watch things from iPlayer.
USB doesn't work.

I just want to watch His Dark Materials in bed.

help.
I can't be of much help, but my Plex worked without issue. Downloaded app and signed in.

yumms

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My PS5 box is coming tomorrow...

Now the instructions state:

Include a copy of your valid Proof of Purchase
A valid Proof of Purchase should contain:
  • Store Name
  • Item Name
  • Price
  • Purchase Date
  • Serial Number
The order confirmation from PS Direct does not contain the serial number, hope this does not cause any issues.

SnoopZ

Jul 30, 2019
My PS5 box is coming tomorrow...

Now the instructions state:

Include a copy of your valid Proof of Purchase
A valid Proof of Purchase should contain:
  • Store Name
  • Item Name
  • Price
  • Purchase Date
  • Serial Number
The order confirmation from PS Direct does not contain the serial number, hope this does not cause any issues.
NVM miss read.

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still want to know how to fix the issue of the front usb not supplying power on rest mode to charge remote. Changed it on settings to always supply power but it doesn't work. My ps5 doesn't have this issue but my gf ps5 does. My ps5 started buzzing like crazy but i fixed that but pulling the covers outward to relieve pressure. These systems have to be junk..

hokey1

Oct 25, 2017
Did you factory reset your PS5 before sending it in for repair?

I'm sending mine in tomorrow and I'm not sure if I should factory reset it or just log out before sending it.
I did not, mine had a very hard time staying on for more than a few seconds at the end of it's life. I will hope Sony has a method for a quick wipe.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Wasnt there supposed to be voice recognizer, like instead of typing up message, you could say it and if your english would be good, console would transcript what you said?

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
Is there a way to buy PlayStation protection like what was available on the PS4? I'd rather pay a bit upfront than deal with ridiculous repair charges later on.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, just received my PS5 today, is it me or the PS5 handle external HDDs terribly? My external Seagate 4TB HDD works perfectly fine on my PS4, but on PS5 it's almost impossible to make it work. It sometimes read it, sometimes don't and slooooooow as heck. It doesn't make sense...

Oct 25, 2017
Was just playing GoT from Internal Storage, when my controller ran out of battery, game switched to map screen.
Took opportunity to make a coffee before switching controllers.

Got error WS-114196-2 "Something went wrong". Assumed it was controller connection related.
Turned on new controller and kept playing and the same error popped up only a minute later. Game kept playing as if nothing was wrong though.

Cannot find anything on this error.

Last edited: