• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
this might be one of the reasons actually,
background network activity.
dont have any crashes, but was not using the system while its downloading stuff (left for rest mode to download, without anything suspended)

will also turn off auto-updates for games and disable internet for rest mode to have better control of downloads etc.

people with data corruption issues, might want to give this a try.
Exactly what I plan to do moving forward until this stuff gets sorted. That background download was the only new variable at play when this happened.

The only other issue I had was system crash when I did a restart while demons souls was not manually closed. System seems to have an issue with saving things off to the SSD and trying to protect it. Someone had a great post on this a few days ago that spelled out something similar. Hoping this stuff get's patched up soon.

GeeTeeCee

Oct 27, 2017
I installed Valhalla on disc, but the console thinks the game is only 16.5GB in size, while my "Other" storage has ballooned up, presumably with the rest of the game. The save data for the game is just using a generic placeholder icon instead of the Game art too. A bit worrying.

The only real issue I've had so far after a few hours use. I'm tempted to delete the Assassin's Creed install data and try to install the disk fresh again, but I'm concerned the Other data won't be removed.

Edit: now I've turned my PS5 back on, and the Assassin's Creed install data isn't there at all. The Other category is still 37.03GB though. Fuck.

vicegold

Oct 27, 2017
I can't download some of my games that errored before due to not enough space errors. Now the games (DIRT5 and Valhalla) only show a red exclamation mark and "show details" instead of a "Download" button. When I click that it opens the downloads error list, but I already cancelled all of them. So I just can't get the PS5 to download these games. Also tried to restart and start the download from the mobile app, but nothing works :(

Oct 27, 2017

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I know that people have said that you could hardly hear and notice the PS5 and all of that but how close were they to the PS5? Because mine can be just as loud as my OG PS4 when playing Apex Legends

I sit 3-4 meters away, and all I could hear was the disc drive, when I played DS and Astro. Night and day difference compared to PS4 and Pro.

I just wish there'll be a patch for the "unexpected error" thing soon, as it seems to be a network related issue. Most of the times it happened in such occasions (accessing Plus Collection in the store, and profile/account settings), but once it happened when I turned the pad on after system had been idle, without game running in the background.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Two issues:

First one is the more simple, I cannot seem to get the PS4 and PS5 to connect to remote play. When I enter the number from the PS5 on the PS4 it just goes back to asking me to put the verification number in. Tried starting the connection from the PS5 first and from the PS4 first, neither order seems to affect it. Anyone have any suggestions? The PS5 is on a LAN cable and the PS4 is on wi-fi if that makes a difference.

Second issue (and the one that worries me the most): I disconnected my external yesterday after an incident. I went to start a game I had just downloaded (which may have actually downloaded on the internal since I turned off install all PS4 games on external drive) and the PS5 starts loading and then goes black.... so I hit the PS5 button and I still got the menu that lets you power it off so I told it to power off. Tried restarting and I get a black screen and occasionally if I hit the PS5 button it gives me an anti symbol (the circle with the line through it). I look on the internet and some one had the same problem and solved it by turning off the PS5 and removing the external. So, I did that and it worked and now I'm too afraid to put the external back on until they figure out the problem. But now my PS5 hard drive is already half full with the few games I put on it (just the stuff I'm actively playing plus that one game I had tried to play that is only 9 GB of space). I don't have the spiderman game (though getting it tomorrow) and all the games on there are PS4 games (RDR2, GTA 5, Fallout 76, some blizzard game that is trying to be Monster Hunter).

Aug 12, 2019
I wish Sony would address the external hard drive concerns and rest mode concerns. I've yet to put my PS5 in Rest Mode as a precaution and I really wanted to move my PS4 library over to PS5 via an external, but I decided against it after hearing about issues. I understand this would take some time, but even a simple comment acknowledging some launch issues could go a long way (game specific crashes I won't hold them to as much, it happens and that's going to depend on the developers of those titles for the most part).

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
So dat the only issue was downloading demons souls. Said there was no ethernet cable while there was and download got stuck. But just removed the game and downloaden again and it worked. I think the issues come from to much activity on the SSD. When i dont play anything and just install one thing at a time its oke and stable.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
I had the best luck getting through right before they closed on Friday evening but the damn call dropped lmao! When I called again I was able to get through right when support opened at 9am PST Saturday.

edit: When I was calling b2b on Friday I called prbly like for a straight 45mins before I was finally able to get through before they closed.

Yeah just got through with them. Told me to wait because they're still looking into the error code. No time table given. Won't give me a replacement just because of this code.

Man fuck Sony. I'm tired of waiting. At least let me send it back for repair. Played zero games and I'm looking at this paperweight full of nothing.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Going to have to return my Pulse 3D headset, it's consistently cutting out - googled, read loads on reddit, fiddled with wireless channels, moved it away from external HDD's, still keeps cutting out and struggling. Refund time.

Mine cuts out too. But only when connected via a USB hub. It's fine like that on PS4

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
FWIW I've played hours of Astro and Bugsnax with games downloading to the external drives with no issues until the crash yesterday post patch.

Oct 27, 2017
this might be one of the reasons actually,
background network activity.
dont have any crashes, but was not using the system while its downloading stuff (left for rest mode to download, without anything suspended)

will also turn off auto-updates for games and disable internet for rest mode to have better control of downloads etc.

people with data corruption issues, might want to give this a try.
If I turn off auto updates- does that mean I have to manually check each game for updates? Seems like a huge pain... but it also worries me to keep it on because you never know when a game is going to choose to update... man they need to fix this.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Had my first 'waking from rest mode but the console has actually hard crashed and needs to repair'.

Was fine after the repair. Bit of a shock though.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
If I turn off auto updates- does that mean I have to manually check each game for updates? Seems like a huge pain... but it also worries me to keep it on because you never know when a game is going to choose to update... man they need to fix this.
yeah you would need to check manually i think.
it might automatically check when you start the game too though, not exactly sure.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I turned on Miles Morales and noticed the cloud save didn't sync, so I tried to download the save manually while the game was still running. I'm guess that was a big no-no, because it hard crashed the system and the PS5 shut off. Maybe the system shut off for a different reason because I noticed that my external hard drive activity light was blinking at the time so it seems the PS5 occasionally does stuff in the background with the external drive even if you're not running a game from it.

It wouldn't even power on without me unplugging the power cord, but I'm back up and running. However it did the same thing with trying to repair the external SSD and then getting a black screen afterwards. It seems the PS5 does not know how to recover after repairing an external drive.

Also twice within the past week, both my TV screens flashed black for a second which to me indicates there may be some random HDMI bug between the PS5 and the TV.

Razilez

Oct 25, 2017
My PS5 went into rest mode whilst I was away for a bit, come back to turn it on and it had a black screen but could hear the audio. Turned the PS5 off with the button and back in again and it was fine, has anyone had this?

Osla

Oct 28, 2017
I seem to have an HDR-related problem all of a sudden.

Things looked fine this afternoon, but when I started up just now, from rest mode, there were slightly visible, pretty wide vertical bars on the screen and it looked brighter somehow. Started up Astro and the bars remained, the splash screens were all pixelated as if way too bright and the words Astro's Playroom remain visible during gameplay.

Did the HDR setup again, restarted, but no dice. The problem seems less pronounced in PS4 games, but those are too bright too, all of a sudden.

Has anyone experienced similar issues?

GeeTeeCee

Oct 27, 2017
I've reinstalled the AC Valhalla disk and I'm letting it apply the patch now. Hopefully it won't delete itself the next time I power down the console or remove the disk. The partial install data is still sitting in the Other storage section unfortunately, and there's currently no way to remove it.

Reading online, it may have had something to do with manually hitting the copy button, causing the error? I really don't want to have to factory reset the thing.

Aku

Mar 18, 2018
Hey guys. Unfortunately I am having a crash every time I tried to boot a game. I have tried Astro and Spiderman so far. I have just tried doing a system reset from the safe mode. Still failing... Any ideas?

I have it connected to a AV Receiver but the issues I can see related to Receivers are not about crashes. I also tried disabling WiFi as one of the comments was suggesting. One thing to notice is that it always crashes in the same moment.

Just to give an update on my issue, the games I tried and crashed when the sony logo with all franchises appear are Astro and Spiderman as I mentioned before. However, I have just tried to download a couple of ps4 games: Tetris and Tony Hawk and both are working fine. After trying those games I tried again Spiderman (after reinstalling it) and again the same issue although this time it happened right at the beginning of the initial video.

Adan0s

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having a shitload of problems (didn't migrate my ps4):

- downloading ps4 games mostly doesn't work/start
- updates for playroom and demons souls can't be found (error)
- installing ps4 games from disc takes like 4 reboots to start

never had any problems like this with an console launch before.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
I'm having this problem where the PS5 will "wake up" from rest mode when I turn on or change the source in my Samsung Qled. So far it only seems to happen when in Rest Mode. I've already looked through the console settings but didn't find anything related to this behavior. Anyone else having this issue or knows of a possible solution?

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
So I guess Sony's support phone number just hangs up on you if there's too many people in the queue? Am I doomed to just retrying until I can get through? I need to RMA my system due to GPU artifcting, but the few times I've tried today I get disconnected after navigating through the phone tree due to "call volume". Super frustrating since I'm sure even if I do get through I'll need to wait an hour or so to speak to a rep. I tweeted at @AskPlayStation on Twitter after the second time it happened an hour or so ago, but no response as of yet.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
So I guess Sony's support phone number just hangs up on you if there's too many people in the queue? Am I doomed to just retrying until I can get through? I need to RMA my system due to GPU artifcting, but the few times I've tried today I get disconnected after navigating through the phone tree due to "call volume". Super frustrating since I'm sure even if I do get through I'll need to wait an hour or so to speak to a rep. I tweeted at @AskPlayStation on Twitter after the second time it happened an hour or so ago, but no response as of yet.

It's pointless to tweet at ask playstation. All they give you is a link to the support website. I know cause that's what they did to me.

Support right now feels aimless, at least for my issue, they keep telling me to wait for an update that I feel is going to take weeks. Fucking Sony.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I'm having this problem where the PS5 will "wake up" from rest mode when I turn on or change the source in my Samsung Qled. So far it only seems to happen when in Rest Mode. I've already looked through the console settings but didn't find anything related to this behavior. Anyone else having this issue or knows of a possible solution?
Sounds like you have hdmi control /cec enabled.

Can you navigate the homescreen using your TV remote? If you can look for a setting you disable it and it should stop your TV from waking the ps5

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
It's pointless to tweet at ask playstation. All they give you is a link to the support website. I know cause that's what they did to me.

Support right now feels aimless, at least for my issue, they keep telling me to wait for an update that I feel is going to take weeks. Fucking Sony.
Oof, guess I'll keep trying to get through then. I meant to call right at opening today, but got caught up in some work stuff and first tried like 45 minutes after, which I guess was too late. Might be able to try again tomorrow.

I've been trying to just buy another one so I can return this one to Amazon without having to go through this whole rigamarole, but that's obviously not easy either lol. Fingers crossed for this Walmart drop in a few minutes, but I'm not exactly hopeful lol.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry guys, setting up my PS5, stupid YouTube app download took a while and I got worried.

Should I transfer data from my PS4? I can't remember if that was found to be an issue or not. I just want my users and save data to sync really, not my games.

I am on WiFi (for now) and know not to use rest mode.

EDIT: Why can't you search individual threads? Seems you should deffo avoid transfer from PS4!

ps3ud0 8)

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
Sounds like you have hdmi control /cec enabled.

Can you navigate the homescreen using your TV remote? If you can look for a setting you disable it and it should stop your TV from waking the ps5
Yes, I found a setting similar to the one you mentioned and unchecked it. Didn't even know that setting existed in my TV. So far this seems to have solved my issue so here's a big thank you my friend.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Sorry guys, setting up my PS5, stupid YouTube app download took a while and I got worried.

Should I transfer data from my PS4? I can't remember if that was found to be an issue or not. I just want my users and save data to sync really, not my games.

I am on WiFi (for now) and know not to use rest mode.

ps3ud0 8)
I did users, data and games. Users came over quickly, the other stuff said it was going to take 20 hours so I cancelled it and just used PS+ cloud storage for saved games. Redownloaded the PS4 games I wanted since it was faster then waiting those 20 hours lol

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I currently have a LAN cable inserted for internet and have left the console on rest mode.

Are these both bad ideas?

I've not kept up so much with what seems to be causing issues.
From reading a lot of these threads, the common elements I'm noticing from people who have issues:
  • They used the "Transfer Data from PS4" utility as part of the initial setup
  • They are using an external HDD or SSD to play/store PS4 games
  • They are using some form of USB Hub to plug in multiple external accessories
  • Bad HDMI cable or trying to use a switcher or receiver that has issues with HDMI 2.1
  • They are using Rest Mode to charge accessories with Front USB ports, which does not always work
For me, I've had a few crashes in Demon's Souls & one in Astro's, one night my controller didn't charge which ended up being a system settings issue, and one night my DualSense completely discharged itself. That last one is still a mystery!

Other than that, it's been quite good comparatively to others on the board.

My setup is as follows:
  • LAN internet connection using a Cat-6 cable from Amazon direct to my router
  • Using all included cables in the box for USB, Power, & HDMI
  • Pulse puck in front USB
  • Included USB A -> C cables from Pulse and DualSense plugged into back USB ports
  • Use all internal SSD for storage of games/apps
  • Never hooked up an external drive or USB accessory other than Pulse or DualSense

Ryoichi

Sep 24, 2020
Italy
Started experiencing a bug where the copying and the patch download of a game get stuck in queue.

Seems like it's caused by network connections, as the PS5 download manager manages online downloads and copying off disc in the same place.

It also makes installed games dissappear so not too good. I'm now trying to follow the steps in this Reddit thread to sort it all out.

Really disappointed with the download manager.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Are the dualsense triggers supposed to give a feint click about half way down a full press? Almost like a lighter version of what GCN triggers do? I'm not sure about all this haptic stuff and I was a little surprised to hear it. Hope it's not just me.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
From reading a lot of these threads, the common elements I'm noticing from people who have issues:
  • They used the "Transfer Data from PS4" utility as part of the initial setup
  • They are using an external HDD or SSD to play/store PS4 games
  • They are using some form of USB Hub to plug in multiple external accessories
  • Bad HDMI cable or trying to use a switcher or receiver that has issues with HDMI 2.1
  • They are using Rest Mode to charge accessories with Front USB ports, which does not always work

None of these are applicable to me (other than maybe 'bad HDMI 2.1 cable' but, I dunno, I'm just using the one from the box straight into my TV) and I've had a hard crash from rest mode today and needed to repair when I booted it all back up.

Didn't transfer data from PS4, don't have external storage plugged in, not charging from the front USB, no USB hub.

Put the PS5 into rest mode with no games running. When I went to wake it it was off. Had to power it back up and was met with an error screen about needing to repair.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
None of these are applicable to me (other than maybe 'bad HDMI 2.1 cable' but, I dunno, I'm just using the one from the box straight into my TV) and I've had a hard crash from rest mode today and needed to repair when I booted it all back up.

Didn't transfer data from PS4, don't have external storage plugged in, not charging from the front USB, no USB hub.

Put the PS5 into rest mode with no games running. When I went to wake it it was off. Had to power it back up and was met with an error screen about needing to repair.

do you have ps4 data installed on the 5?

Oct 25, 2017
So I just tried using my Crucial NVME with the Asus Arion USB 3.1 enclosure on my PS4 Pro and put it on rest mode.

Guess what. This thing is giving me the same exact issue as the PS5. It seems PlayStation consoles just don't support this type of SSD drive properly.

I think I will have to return it to Amazon....

Newman96

Oct 27, 2017
Had mine completely shut down on me playing Bugsnax, it booted back up and started repairing the external HD and now it's doing...nothing. Scared to touch it tbh