• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Babadook

self-requsted ban
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I had an issue with audio not audible for voices in certain ps4 BC titles. Then I changed my audio output to 2 channel and the audio works perfectly using my LG C9.

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
A few issues. I have a samsung 3.1 soundbar and it seems like PS5 is only using the left and right speakers. I set it to soundbar and I set the audio as DTS or Dolby. Regardless of wether I set it to Dolby, DTS, or LPCM it seems to only ever use the 2.1 sound formation. Was wondering if anyone also had that isuee.

Another Issue. I have a TCL 617/615 and I cant the PS5 to recognize the HDR as RGB. It only gets set to YUV 4:2:2. No matter what I do. Anyone get this issue or is that a normal PS5 thing?

Oct 31, 2017
My PS5 randomly shut down when I was playing Miles Morales and downloading a game in the background like 15 minutes ago. I turned it back on and it gave me the external hard drive might be corrupt error screen and began fixing the errors, after that the screen went completely black and I had to restart the console again manually.

Pretty scary shit. I hope they fix whatever software issue is causing PS5s to randomly shut down while playing games.

Edit: Searched around reddit and it seems this is a common issue. It seems to happen when people are downloading a game to the external HDD while playing PS5 games like Miles Morales. I'll avoid downloading any games to my external HDD while playing games until they sort out this issue with a patch.

Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
My PS5 randomly shut down when I was playing Miles Morales and downloading a game in the background like 15 minutes ago. I turned it back on and it gave me the external hard drive might be corrupt error screen and began fixing the errors, after that the screen went completely black and I had to restart the console again manually.

Pretty scary shit. I hope they fix whatever software issue is causing PS5s to randomly shut down while playing games.

Edit: Searched around reddit and it seems this is a common issue. It seems to happen when people are downloading a game to the external HDD while playing PS5 games like Miles Morales. I'll avoid downloading any games to my external HDD while playing games until they sort out this issue with a patch.

Just to be clear, this is post firmware update right? I would think so if you're downloading something, but just making sure.

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
Has anyone in this thread requested an RMA from Sony for the PS5? I've had a hell of a time getting through to them and their chat team told me that can't initiate returns over chat. :/

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone in this thread requested an RMA from Sony for the PS5? I've had a hell of a time getting through to them and their chat team told me that can't initiate returns over chat. :/

I've gotten through their calls as soon as they open up so I suggest getting through to support as soon as 9am pdt hits.

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020

Wait,so you're downloading to your external HDD and while playing off the HDD that's causing this?

Dealer A

Jan 13, 2018
Not sure if this is the correct thread, but I wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing the same bootup problem I am.....

This has happened 3 times now. I am playing Demon's Souls via disc. I turn my PS5 off before I go to sleep at night. When I boot it back up again the next day to play Demon's Souls the game will just sit on the title screen and not load anything. If I restart it, it works fine.

Oct 31, 2017
Wait,so you're downloading to your external HDD and while playing off the HDD that's causing this?
No, I'm downloading a PS4 game to my external HDD while I'm playing PS5 version of Spiderman Miles Morales off my internal PS5 SSD.

I believe that's what is causing the error. The error occurred as soon as the notification popped up telling me that the PS4 game I was downloading (Battlefield 4) was ready to play

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty dumb when it comes to the specifics of electricity, but does anyone know how likely it is that people that are getting hard system crashes, especially with intensive games, are having a power issue?

I just saw some random tip on Reddit saying if you have it plugged into a surge protector particularly kinda a basic one, try plugging it into the wall, as the PS5 may not be getting enough power to play these games. I did that, and so far I have had no crashes since. I played Spider-Man Remastered last night for about 4 hours with no crashes, when before it would consistently hard crash (entire system turn off) at about 1 1/2-2 hours in.

If it is possible this is an issue, is there any chance firmware could fix it? Or would that be straight hardware? Even though mine'a working ok now, I wanna be able to plug it up where I need to. So if it's still gonna be a hardware thing I wanna get the ball rolling on repair.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone noticed a "sticky" X/Cross button on their Dualsense? On one of my controllers, the X button seems to stick a little once in a while. It doesn't really stay down, but I can feel it is more mushy once in a while and takes a split second longer to return to position. It seems to come and go, so not sure if it's the angle I press it at or what.

Tried to just run the edge of a piece paper in the groove around the edge in case it's some piece of dust or something that got in there. If there's some non-invasive method to resolve it, I'd love to do that before going through the process of doing an exchange. At least I have a second controller without the issue.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone still experiencing PS5 shutting down after the update? I havent experienced one since the first day I had it while playing CoD but im worried that it may happen again.

EternalWinter

Oct 27, 2017
Oklahoma, USA
Not really a technical issue, by my friend is absolutely incensed with the explore tab. Is there a way to turn off suggested streams? He's already unfollowed all the games.

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
No, I'm downloading a PS4 game to my external HDD while I'm playing PS5 version of Spiderman Miles Morales off my internal PS5 SSD.

I believe that's what is causing the error. The error occurred as soon as the notification popped up telling me that the PS4 game I was downloading (Battlefield 4) was ready to play
I see. Didn't realise this was a thing till this thread

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm pretty dumb when it comes to the specifics of electricity, but does anyone know how likely it is that people that are getting hard system crashes, especially with intensive games, are having a power issue?

I just saw some random tip on Reddit saying if you have it plugged into a surge protector particularly kinda a basic one, try plugging it into the wall, as the PS5 may not be getting enough power to play these games. I did that, and so far I have had no crashes since. I played Spider-Man Remastered last night for about 4 hours with no crashes, when before it would consistently hard crash (entire system turn off) at about 1 1/2-2 hours in.

If it is possible this is an issue, is there any chance firmware could fix it? Or would that be straight hardware? Even though mine'a working ok now, I wanna be able to plug it up where I need to. So if it's still gonna be a hardware thing I wanna get the ball rolling on repair.
I remember this being a thing when the Xbox One X came out where MS recommended it be plugged directly into the wall socket for better performance. I'm not sure what would happen if the PS5 tried to draw more power than was supplied to be honest. The PSU is rated for 350 watts, but the tests DF did looks like it draws about half of that under load, so it seems like it should have plenty of juice

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020

I think you'd need a surprisingly bad powerbar to the point of being unsafe. I can't see anything obvious about surge suppressors that could affect the powersupply in any way. So I'm very curious what that recommendation is about.

I'm going through a UPS and a powerbar, so I'm chaining 2 surge suppressors, and never had a single crash on my PS5.

If you have something else connected through a different outlet, and connected to your console with an HDMI or USB, there could be a grounding problem, and connecting everything to the same wall outlet would help, but other than that I'm drawing a blank.

Oct 25, 2017
I just wanna say I think we've put probably 30 hours into it since Thursday and have not had a crash, a feeeze, or any weird issues (like the lan cable stuff). It's ran perfectly. I am so happy.

haven't played MM yet though ha

Hypemaster

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Not sure if this is the correct thread, but I wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing the same bootup problem I am.....

This has happened 3 times now. I am playing Demon's Souls via disc. I turn my PS5 off before I go to sleep at night. When I boot it back up again the next day to play Demon's Souls the game will just sit on the title screen and not load anything. If I restart it, it works fine.

Happened to me once so far.

sideofries

Jul 19, 2020
Anyone's PS5 startup sound not playing through headphones? For some reason audio never starts for my headphones until after I log-in.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone's PS5 startup sound not playing through headphones? For some reason audio never starts for my headphones until after I log-in.
Are you using the headphones on the DualSense? If so, that's always been a thing, on the PS4 as well. Your DualSense (or the DS4, previously) is only assigned to the account once you log in, and that's when the system starts to output audio to the DS as well.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
So question for anyone who knows.

Is the PS5 supposed to re-download the entire game if a PS4 game receives a patch?

Apex just got a patch and now my PS5 is redownloading the wh

Hexnest

Sep 18, 2020
My PS5 booted up today and the screen displayed inverted, glitchy-looking colors where it then shifted to white static until I removed and plugged back in the HDMI and everything was fine. The PS5 hasn't been moved and the HDMI cord was definitely secure.

I've seen some issues with the HDMI mentioned early on in this thread but none seem to get into the specifics. Has this happened to anyone else?

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Just had my first crash.

Booted the system after being off maybe 24hrs. Note I do have a USB 3.0 SSD connected for PS4 storage.

System turned on, got external error. Hit the repair button, system restarted to a black screen. Holding the PS button would show a little cancel icon on the top right, nothing else. Had to force a restart from the ON/OFF button. Connected the USB SSD to the front of the system which i dont know if it helped but it turned on to the right log in screen this time.

Edit: before the system crashed, an update initiated for one of my ps4 games on the external. It seems that if the system can't correctly read the external storage and there is an update, an error will cause a hard lock of some sort. Reports about the external storage causing issues is correct. Sony really has to fix this asap.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Been playing since the release. Haven't had any issues playing through all of Miles Morales. Had a demon's souls crash when I died to firelurker in demons Souls(LOL). Put me back before the fight when I relaunched the game (OS was fine) and died again and no crash since then. OS was totally fine though. I've consciously been not having my games running while in rest mode though(manually close them before putting in rest mode) and that's been fine for me. Using an external HDD (WD My Passport 4TB) and haven't had any issues since release. Haven't played any PS4 games extensively though(Just testing various games for like 30mins or so).

Bearwolf

Oct 27, 2017
I setup my DE ps5, downloaded the update, updated controller and downloaded Demons Souls. I start the game and there is no audio. When I go to the menu there is audio. I select restart ps5 and now have been stuck on the restart screen for an hour. We'll see where it's at tomorrow morning I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
Well...

I was playing some PS4 games on my Crucial NVME (With an Asus Arion enclosure) and called it a day, so I put the PS5 on rest mode while the game was running. Came back today, and lo and behold, I got the "the drive was not disconnected properly and needs to be repaired" message.

Very annoying... I really hope Sony addresses these external drive issues shortly... :/

Gambit61

Oct 26, 2017
Figured I'd post this here. Since i got the system a few days ago I've had a weird sound bug with Demon's Souls where it sounded like some fake surround sound was being used. My TV and PS5 settings have always been set to 2ch / stereo. I checked the PS5 settings again and changed my Sound > HDMI Device Type from TV to AV Amplifier > AV amplifier > Number of Channels > 2 ch and now Demon's Souls no longer has the weird artificial surround sound. Dunno why the PS5/TV are doing this since my PS4 Pro and Xbox One S / Series X never did this.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I had my first issue, this happened Monday before the update tho.

As soon as I unlocked the platinum trophy in Astrobot, my controller stopped responding, panning the camera up in the game. Then it went black for a moment followed by an OS error screen. It then booted me back into the home screen with Astrobot running still and everything was fine. Super weird.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Sony acknowledges the ce-108255 error or releases a new patch. Cause fuck man it fucking sucks to not be able to play a single game. Not even my PS4 games work.

Burning $500 for a paperweight is some shit.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Happened to me once so far.
Yes for sure. Has happened with both the original and the replacement. I also get a thing where the game will pop almost like from the os I pick to play it and it sort of...zooms in for a brief millisecond like its loading the game then back to the os. Its so weird I thought it wasn't choosing the game from the system but it was.
Only way around it was full shutdown and restart

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Can someone tell me what all these 4 to 15 megabyte files that are on my SSD that represent my PS4 games stored on an external HDD? The worst one is Until Dawn which is over 1 GB. Right now all these files are taking up 2.7GB of storage.
Are you seeing these while the external drive is plugged in?
These exist on PS4 as well, but you normally only see them when those particular games exist on an external drive that isn't connected.

Right now I'm going through re-downloading all my PS4 games to a fresh external drive on the PS5 but the internal storage shows none of the special "exclusive" data.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Are you seeing these while the external drive is plugged in?
These exist on PS4 as well, but you normally only see them when those particular games exist on an external drive that isn't connected.

Right now I'm going through re-downloading all my PS4 games to a fresh external drive on the PS5 but the internal storage shows none of the special "exclusive" data.

No, I'm actually seeing them while the external drive is unplugged. I had originally moved a bunch of stuff from my PS4 Pro internal drive to a brand new external drive and hooked that up to the PS5, but with all this talk about how external drives might be causing problems, I removed it from the system. That's when I noticed all those files being listed. So if I were to plug in the drive, those would disappear from the internal drive? What are they?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
No, I'm actually seeing them while the external drive is unplugged. I had originally moved a bunch of stuff from my PS4 Pro internal drive to a brand new external drive and hooked that up to the PS5, but with all this talk about how external drives might be causing problems, I removed it from the system. That's when I noticed all those files being listed. So if I were to plug in the drive, those would disappear from the internal drive? What are they?
Ok, that makes sense. They seem to just be some extra system data that apparently needs to be stored to the internal drives. You may notice that when you go to your Game Library, you'll still see those games (though unplayable). If you delete them, they'll also disappear from here.
Now why some of them vary in size from a few MB to over a GB... I don't know. It's a mystery.

On PS4 if you were to delete them and plug the external drive back in, the system would need to "cache" them all over again. You also lost their locations in folders if you had any.

What's extra buggy about them on PS5 is that if you were to attached a different external drive, the PS5 allows you to "move" these files over because it sees them as PS4 "games".
I can't imagine what kind of weird issues that may cause. I wish they had filters to hide them.

And yes, if you plug your original external back in, they shouldn't appear there.

Chuy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So having a few issues:

My disc drive suddenly is really loud when booting the console or reading a disc game for verification. Started Monday from being whisper quiet. It's loud enough for me to hear it through my headphones

Just had a error code of CE-108262-9 when going to the main menu from playing CTR. Reading up on it I'm getting various levels of severity of it

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Just had my ps5 completely power down randomly. Was in the middle of spiderman miles morales. Paused it to use the restroom, came back and the system was off. It wouldnt turn on with the controller. Had to power it on with the button and it had to repair. After that it had a problem rebooting but did eventually come back up. Not sure what happened.

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
So having a few issues:

My disc drive suddenly is really loud when booting the console or reading a disc game for verification. Started Monday from being whisper quiet. It's loud enough for me to hear it through my headphones

Just had a error code of CE-108262-9 when going to the main menu from playing CTR. Reading up on it I'm getting various levels of severity of it

My drive has always been loud. That's normal.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I hope Sony acknowledges the ce-108255 error or releases a new patch. Cause fuck man it fucking sucks to not be able to play a single game. Not even my PS4 games work.

I haven't heard of this error, but if you can't play anything then it's time to try initialising your console and starting again.

Settings>System>System Software>Reset Options>Reset Your Console

Make sure you back up your save files if there are any you care about.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
Just had my ps5 completely power down randomly. Was in the middle of spiderman miles morales. Paused it to use the restroom, came back and the system was off. It wouldnt turn on with the controller. Had to power it on with the button and it had to repair. After that it had a problem rebooting but did eventually come back up. Not sure what happened.

wait for that Spider-Man update.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co

I got mine today. So far I played demon souls and Astro without issues. I have stuck to the "do not rules" and not installed a ps4 game yet.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't heard of this error, but if you can't play anything then it's time to try initialising your console and starting again.

Settings>System>System Software>Reset Options>Reset Your Console

Make sure you back up your save files if there are any you care about.

Oh i did that lol. Spoke to sony support yesterday and literally went down the list on safe mode and did everything to try to fix it.

He assured me they knew people are getting the code too and to just wait for a patch to fix it. When that would happen is the question. I hope it's by the end of this week cause the global launch already happened.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
Got my first major bug: When searching the store using voice input, the system froze up for a few minutes, then kicked me back to the main screen. Now, the quick menu at the screen won't show up, and also trying to go to settings just removes everything from the screen except the background image. A restart will probably fix this, but I can't access that menu. (Edit: Pressing and holding the power button until it beeps twice will turn off the PS5. I'd though you could only put it in rest mode this way.)

I can still hold down the PS button and start games and stuff, though. But tapping or double tapping the PS button doesn't do anything, and I need to down it down to have control again.

Last edited:

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Oh i did that lol. Spoke to sony support yesterday and literally went down the list on safe mode and did everything to try to fix it.

He assured me they knew people are getting the code too and to just wait for a patch to fix it. When that would happen is the question. I hope it's by the end of this week cause the global launch already happened.
That's a load of you know what. If you selected "Reset PS5 (Reinstall System Software)" from safe mode, and it didn't help, then either the copy of the firmware you were using is corrupted, or you have a defective unit.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
That's a load of you know what. If you selected "Reset PS5 (Reinstall System Software)" from safe mode, and it didn't help, then either the copy of the firmware you were using is corrupted, or you have a defective unit.

Yeah I'm thinking more of the latter at this point. I'll give it till the weekend. If nothing happens then I'll call Sony to replace it.