• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Cross posting from another thread I posted this in:

So I've been spending some time in some av forums and the PS5 is definitely the issue with a HDMI handshake issue to achieve 4K/hdr.

if you run the PS5 directly to the tv or projector you can run 4K and HDR simultaneously if your tv supports it. However, if you run through a receiver of any kind, you are limited in choosing either 4K or HDR. This is not a issue of the receiver software. It has been duplicated across brands and people can see the signal it's sending. Somehow the PS5 interprets receivers as not capable of both.

Hopefully Sony fixes this in a future update. Just thought I'd let people know before they pull their hair out trying to fix a component.
This is not universal. We had a long discussion in another thread that some receivers need certain modes enabled to pass through the high bandwith the PS5 produces. Several of us have Yamaha receivers without HDMI 2.1 (several years old) and we are getting 4k HDR pass through with no issues once all settings are appropriately set. That is, the receiver has various HDMI modes based on what you want to pass through and you need to enable the correct one, it has nothing to do with the PS5, it's entirely a receiver settings issue.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
This is not universal. We had a long discussion in another thread that some receivers need certain modes enabled to pass through the high bandwith the PS5 produces. Several of us have Yamaha receivers without HDMI 2.1 (several years old) and we are getting 4k HDR pass through with no issues once all settings are appropriately set.
Interesting. Ok. I should say "widespread" then. I have a hdmi 2.2 and have issues on my Pioneer. Many others with other brands are having similar issues. It a matter of "settings" for any of us.

Can you link me to the discussion and solution of correct settings your found?

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Interesting. Ok. I should say "widespread" then. I have a hdmi 2.2 and have issues on my Pioneer. Many others with other brands are having similar issues. It a matter of "settings" for any of us.

I'll try to find that thread, it was last week. But here's the manual for the Yamaha receiver, see page 130 on the right for "Selecting 4k Modes". https://content.abt.com/documents/71955/RXV681BL_manual.pdf
I wonder if other brands have similar settings, people just don't realize it as it has not been an issue on previous consoles with lower bandwidth.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville

Have you tried this, since you mentioned you have a Pioneer? It's not in the manual apparently, it's something they added on the web a couple of years ago.

It seems to be the equivalent of what I had to do on my Yamaha, turn on an "enhanced" HDMI mode that allows higher bandwidth signal.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Have you tried this, since you mentioned you have a Pioneer? It's not in the manual apparently, it's something they added on the web a couple of years ago.

It seems to be the equivalent of what I had to do on my Yamaha, turn on an "enhanced" HDMI mode that allows higher bandwidth signal.

Yup. Me and a ton of other people with different receivers have it on enhanced mode and it's still not working. Any other device with the same bandwidth requirements works.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020

Here's a few quotes from people with issues:

I'm the one that made the reddit post you linked. Glad to see I'm not the only one with this issue! Hoping it gets sorted. I do think it's a firmware update that Sony needs to release on the PS5.

In addition to the reddit post, these are my findings so far:
  • I need to make a correction - when connected directly to the TV and selecting YUV420 (-2), HDR still works; it just doesn't work when connected directly through the soundbar
  • I've bought a splitter to try get the video going to my TV, and audio to the soundbar. Unfortunately this method mimics the TV EDID and so only compressed 5.1 bitstream or 2 channel LPCM reaches the soundbar.
    • HERE'S the bit that surprised me when using the splitter - If I changed the TV channel to the soundbar (so I could see what the soundbar was showing) HDR worked under YUV420 and 4K!
    • Since it is receiving the same EDID (or signal) that the TV is receiving and HDR works using the splitter, it's pointing to a handshake or EDID issue between the PS5 and soundbar.
  • I called Sony and was on-hold for two hours. Hung up and called back after I finished work. After another two-hour wait, I got through. The person said it should be working and that I may have a faulty PS5. My options were to return it for a replacement PS5 at the retailer (LOL 😅) or send it in for repair. I gathered it's more a software issue than hardware, so I'll wait longer until it can be confirmed before sending it out for repair.
  • When connected to the TV and ARC to soundbar, Dolby audio has a noticeable delay compared with LPCM and DTS. This is also evident with movies, including 4K Bluray with Dolby Atmos.
So, in the meantime, I have decided to play without HDR and connect through the soundbar as I am also using rear speakers.
When connected through the TV via ARC, I need to turn on "virtual surround" which does not offer the same immersive experience as 7.1 channel. I thought it would be little to no difference but it is definitely noticeable. Also, there is no delay with Movies and Dolby Atmos when connected directly to the soundbar.

I never thought I'd ever prefer sound over picture quality but after noticing the difference, I'm sticking with this setup... for now - unless I start playing more with headphones 🎧

Just hoping Sony send a firmware fix because if it worked with the PS4 Pro, then there's no reason why it isn't with the PS5.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and will post anything new I find out.

Cheers.

When I had my PS4 Pro connected from my soundbar to my LG OLED, HDR was working at 4K; only in the YUV420 colour format due to a limitation with the soundbar, but working nonetheless. I've now connected the PS5 the same way as I had the Pro but it does not seem to activate HDR when using YUV420 at 4K, even though it says it is supported in the Video Information screen. HDR will only activates when the resolution is set to 1080p.

I don't think it's a cable issue because I don't have a HDMI 2.1 TV. If it worked using the Pro, my understanding is it should work with the PS5.

Something I did notice though, is that if I set the resolution to 1080p, HDR will activate - but, if I change the Video 4K format to -2 (which I've read is YUV420) while still in 1080p, HDR will switch off and change to SDR. I'm wondering if the PS5 just does not allow HDR in the YUV420 format. The PS5 DOES pass 4K HDR via YUV420; just not through my soundbar - reason still being investigated.

I don't think it is a bandwidth issue because even 4K bluray movies that play at 24Hz (and in HDR) are converted to SDR; when I bring up the info when playing the movie, it shows that it is converting "HDR > SDR".

I have the PS5 connected directly to my soundbar for the 7.1 channel. Otherwise, it'll only play 5.1 channel audio if I connect the PS5 to the TV and then to the soundbar via ARC.

Cheers!

EDIT - my soundbar is the SK10Y with rear speakers. When the PS is connected directly to that and audio format is Linear PCM, it plays all 7 channels and makes a massive difference in the immersive feel of the games.

U6g2MAQ.jpeg

I cannot get HDR to output from the PS5 at all when in 2160p resolution, but I can do it when in 1080p with no issues. When in 4K, It's in YCbCr 4:2:0 in 2160p, but can not activate HDR. In the output menu where the PS5 detects what the projector can do, it lists HDR, I just can't activate it. The projector and receiver can do HDMI 2.2 as well.

I troubleshot all cables in/out of the receiver, even went as far to connect PS5 to the projector directly. Same issue unfortunately. It's just odd as it sees everything the PJ can do which lists all resolutions/Refresh rates expected plus says HDR, I just can't activate it on the PS5 when in 2160p.

For reference I've been watching other content through AppleTV and a UHD player at 2160p/60hz/HDR for a couple years now. I'm thoroughly perplexed.

Hey everyone, I have the SK10Y with rears as well and have the EXACT same issue. I don't think it's anything wrong with your equipment, it's some kind of bug somewhere. My PS4 pro worked fine (YUV420) connected through the soundbar. I have had my Xbox one x and now my series x connected to the same soundbar with absolutely no issues with HDR and can even use YUV422 with the Xbox. My work around has been to connect the ps5 to my tv (LG C7) to get the full YUV422 HDR and then just use DTS over ARC. (The LG C7 has always had an audio delay issue if using Dolby digital over ARC so I stick with DTS.)

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Weird. They all seem to have the same or similar soundbar models. I wonder if it's a passthrough issue with those in particular or the splitter people are using.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Weird. They all seem to have the same or similar soundbar models. I wonder if it's a passthrough issue with those in particular or the splitter people are using.

I don't think so as I have a pioneer receiver and have the same issue.

Same issue here. I have the PS5 going thru a RX-V679 Yamaha Receiver and connected to an LG OLED. Checked Reddit but so far I cant see a resolution

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I think I have Dualsense not charging problem too. I set the power setting in rest mode to "always" and it still didn't fix. I read some people suggesting using rear USB port? That would suck if I can't use the front USB to charge.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I think I have Dualsense not charging problem too. I set the power setting in rest mode to "always" and it still didn't fix. I read some people suggesting using rear USB port? That would suck if I can't use the front USB to charge.
Likely it's just a little firmware glitch cutting power to that USB port instead of leaving it active. Hopefully should be an easy fix.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Curious if anyone has had their DS5 discharge completely after it was a full battery and left unplugged with the PS5 off?
The DualSense? Yeah, happened to me the other night. I used the controller to put the PS5 into Rest Mode. Before I did it I checked the battery charge and it had 2 out of 3 bars. I did not plug it in overnight.

Next day, maybe 12-14 hours later when I tried using the controller to wake the system, the controller was completely dead and wouldn't turn the system on. Had to use the supplied cable plugged into a back USB port and then manually press the power button on the PS5 and then the controller started charging.

No clue what happened. As an experiment I changed the controller setting to always use the cable instead of Bluetooth when it's plugged in. Unsure if that will do anything. My wacky theory was that if somehow the controller was still trying to contact the system via Bluetooth and drained it..this might help. Not based on anything, just troubleshooting. Haven't seen it happen the last couple nights.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I wonder this as well. Tbh, there are times where my PS5 is super quiet and times where it gets loud. Is this normal?
I noticed the disc randomly decided to spin up at max speed for 20 secs or something, and the disc was just sitting there for hours. It happened twice over about 8 hours. I haven't found any clear pattern. I wasn't playing the game that was in the drive.

Obviously the drive will be noticeable while installing, it's a 10x drive as opposed to the PS4's 6x. I'm not surprised they needed rubber grommets for damping the vibration.

Some people might have one of their disc that is unbalanced, these things happen.

It's also spinning up a short time when you start a game that's on disc for the copy protection.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone tell me what all these 4 to 15 megabyte files that are on my SSD that represent my PS4 games stored on an external HDD? The worst one is Until Dawn which is over 1 GB. Right now all these files are taking up 2.7GB of storage.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
If any of y'all have issues with HDR and Pioneer receivers, try this:

It helped with mine.
Mine doesn't seem to have the same pathway to adjusting that. I tried and got nothing. This is my manual: https://intl.pioneer-audiovisual.com/manuals/docs/SN29402809A_VSX-LX102_BAS_En_171113_web.pdf

It does support it though:

1. Video Features
    • › Ultra HD Pass-through with HDCP 2.2 (4K/60p/4:4:4/24-bit, 4K/24p/4:4:4/36-bit, 4K/60p/4:2:0/36-bit)

dd492941

Oct 28, 2017
Only issue I had so far was rest mode issue once. When I came back on out had to repair my external ssd. I switched rest mode usb power to always on and have not had any problems since. I have about 14 hours in demons souls and platinum in astro. My gf also platinumed astro. So hopefully fingers crossed, my system stays stable.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Ok I found this about the VSX line of receivers:

I talked with Pioneer today. They do not think its a cable issue at all. According to them, this model lacks the requirement to manually program the HDMI signal input setting of previous models and 'should' automatically detect the input signal and properly pass it through. They did provide me with an advanced "secret menu" to alter EDID for the HDMI ports and AUX. With the unit powered on, open the front panel then press and hold DIMMER. Next, press RETURN (not ENTER). This will open the EDID menu on screen. Each provided input will allow 3 modes (Mode 1, Mode 2, and Mode 3). Pioneer specially stated their engineers do not recommend anyone using Mode 2 as it is a generic Mode that can cause unforeseen issues. Changes are immediate when leaving the menu.

This does indeed let you change the options. However, I tried all of them and still the same issue, I can set it to 4k and even select "automatic" on the HDR setting, but when I exit or click "adjust HDR" it says "not available."

This is different than when I turn off HDMI Enchanced as it just stays at 1080p and if I change it 4k it tells me it is unable to go to 4k and keep HDR.

jpBF2Dh.jpg

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
Can someone tell me what all these 4 to 15 megabyte files that are on my SSD that represent my PS4 games stored on an external HDD? The worst one is Until Dawn which is over 1 GB. Right now all these files are taking up 2.7GB of storage.

Its exactly the same as you would of had on a ps4. If you connect that external drive to a ps4, and check your storage, you'll have a section at the bottom called "other" that gets bigger the more games you have. Its the same on a ps5. What its actually for i don't know, but its completely normal and something you have to live with. Mine is over 30gb because I have an 8tb external drive that is almost full.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Its exactly the same as you would of had on a ps4. If you connect that external drive to a ps4, and check your storage, you'll have a section at the bottom called "other" that gets bigger the more games you have. Its the same on a ps5. What its actually for i don't know, but its completely normal and something you have to live with. Mine is over 30gb because I have an 8tb external drive that is almost full.

I've never used an external drive on my PS4 because they didn't allow USB hubs to be connected to them so this is the first time I've used an external drive. The "Other" category I thought was just reserved space for the OS that it needs for various functionality but these files aren't in the "Other" section. They're listed as games. What happens if you delete these files? It's kind of weird how they're all small but then Until Dawn is so big. With the SSD so small, every bit of space counts so it sucks that this is just wasting space.

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
I've never used an external drive on my PS4 because they didn't allow USB hubs to be connected to them so this is the first time I've used an external drive. The "Other" category I thought was just reserved space for the OS that it needs for various functionality but these files aren't in the "Other" section. They're listed as games. What happens if you delete these files? It's kind of weird how they're all small but then Until Dawn is so big. With the SSD so small, every bit of space counts so it sucks that this is just wasting space.
I believe if you delete them, they will just come back.

I believe people thought "other" was initially for incomplete downloads and patches etc but then figured out that its to do with what I mentioned. I will see if I can dig out where I read it

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I have no external drive (except a USB key I use to backup/restore my PS5 save files and system config). Other is growing when I install a new game from disc, and it goes down when I delete games.

It went down by 1GB when I deleted Astrobot. It grew by over 10GB when I installed Demonsouls, which is 52GB despite the box saying it requires 66GB.

Is this the space for updates? The install data is split? It does add up to the install size claim, but the main storage is not displaying it correctly, or I don't understand the way it's displayed. Like Spiderman MM is 39GB main data, and 39GB english language data, which seems to be the full install, it's just plain 39GB, not two sections.

Dom6

Oct 26, 2017
Our of curiosity, why are you trying to restore license? I never knew what that option does.

It's sort of a perpetual loop for me. If I go through the PS Store, grab anything like addons, etc. my UI really slows down, eventually results in a rebuild database. After this, my game library starts count from 0, and slowly goes up, with lock icons next to all of my games. The Restore License traditionally would force a push from the PS servers down and sync everything up, and sort of let you see a progress bar for the process. But doing so for me causes a database rebuild.

Additionally when I've crashed in Demons Souls, has resulted in needing to perform a Database Rebuild as well. Sort of a loop.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
I'm trying to access kakarot s2 dlc on my ps5 but it says I need to install the dlc. I check the store and it says it's purchased. Any way to check dlc content installed, or to force just the dlc to reinstall?

EDIT: Spoke to Sony chat and they told me to restore licenses and it worked!

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017
I'm trying to download Demon's Souls and I keep getting error code NW-102264-5. Anyone dealt with this before?

It says that it can't connect to the server and something about a problem connecting to the network, or PlayStation Network or the server or service provider might be temporarily busy.

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I recorded a quick and sloppy video capturing the clicking noise I describe. This is heard throughout the video and is happening each time I press R2 to swing in Miles Morales in the video. You can hear it the moment the video kicks off. (Ignore the sound of me moving the stick or pressing button itself)

Dualsense clicking noise

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm...I've played Spider-Man Remastered for about 3 hours straight today. I'm pretty sure this is the longest I've gone without crashing. Aside from the update, I also plugged the PS5 directly into the wall because I heard some shit that it may be acting weird with surge protectors.

That seems weird as shit, but whatever. Have an external HD hooked up and have been using rest most, even though I've closed every game before using it.

I realize I'm probably jinxing myself here, but I kinda want too. So anxious waiting for the crash.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here got the error CE-108255-1?

If so have you sent it back to Sony or have been able to fix it?

I've literally played zero games since opening my PS5 like 2 days ago cause every game crashes almost immediately with that error.

Kurumi

Oct 26, 2017
PS5 shut down after playing Spider-Man Remastered earlier today. It said game or app was corrupted right before it shut off. Had to repair console storage. Has anyone else had this problem?

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
I've been having a really weird issue with my PS5 disc edition and specifically my copy of Demon's Souls. I put the disc in and the disc drive sounds like it's having a really hard time reading the disc -- there's a lot of activity and it's almost like it's 'stuck' on something with the disc. Checked the disc, no marks, smudges or fingerprints. Just to be on the safe side, I tried to wipe it down with a cloth.

I tried a different game, Spider Man Miles Morales, and had no problem with installing the game. In fact, it took less than 10 minutes to get set up.

I contact PlayStation support and they think it's a hardware/disc drive issue despite my testing another game.

I've been watching my PS5 install Demon's Souls for THREE HOURS now. The sound of activity has lessen and it's installing the game without too much sound from the disc drive, albeit slowly. The problem is if I eject the disc....it starts the copying/install process all over again.

I contacted Amazon for a replacement copy but I'm hoping I won't have the same issue with another copy of the game.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Played Valhalla for probably 10 hours this past weekend with zero issues, along with a few other games.

Last night, I popped in the Dirt 5 PS4 disc, downloaded the PS5 upgrade, played the first race, was loading into the next track and the PS5 beeped and shut down.

I started it back up, it ran through internal and external drive repairs, started up Dirt 5 again and finished 4 more races without an issue before turning it off for the night.

Tonight, I updated the PS5 and a Dirt 5 patch that released, started the game, loading into the first track it beeped and shut down. Started it back up, went through the repair stuff again, got back into the game and my save was corrupted so I had to restart.

Made it through 3 more races and it beeped and shut down again. Started it back up, repair ran, started up the game, save file seems fine at least. Powered down the system, I'm done for the night.

Loving the system and Dirt 5, hating the gamble that my save might corrupt again.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to turn off PS4 game installations for disk based games? I'm playing the PS5 version with a PS4 disk and it keeps trying to install the PS4 version all the time. It's annoying.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to turn off PS4 game installations for disk based games? I'm playing the PS5 version with a PS4 disk and it keeps trying to install the PS4 version all the time. It's annoying.

There has to be because I see a lot of people complaining about this but it's never happened for me. I'm not sure what I did to set it other than maybe turn off auto updates on the games.

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
I just got my ps5 and the "x" button on my Dual Sense controller doesn't work at all, I'm stuck at the main screen when you select the language = /

Anyone else had this problem?

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There has to be because I see a lot of people complaining about this but it's never happened for me. I'm not sure what I did to set it other than maybe turn off auto updates on the games.
Yeah. I have no idea what to do. I also don't want to turn off auto update on my PS4 games for obvious reasons.

Oct 25, 2017

Nope, only thing you can do right now is choose which version you boot up when you hit play by going into the ... setting next to it and choosing a version. Just let it finishing installing PS4 version so it stops doing that.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO

Yeah I'd like to know this as well. Currently every PS4 disc I pop in with a PS4 upgrade installs both. Been pushing the PS4 install to an external drive to avoid eating up internal storage.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
My thumbsticks are starting to mess up. They "twitch" at the lightest touch, and im talking like im not visibly moving them, just lightly brushing my finger on top and it's making the camera in game spin in circles on its own.

Left stick is doing something similar but making the character move and twitch around.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I have no idea what to do. I also don't want to turn off auto update on my PS4 games for obvious reasons.

I get not wanting to turn it off. I have to since I've got a 1TB data cap and a ton of games. I would hate to be blowing through hundreds of gigs of data on updates every month from leaving it on. Some of the updates can be painful in size, like Call of Duty...

Yeah I'd like to know this as well. Currently every PS4 disc I pop in with a PS4 upgrade installs both. Been pushing the PS4 install to an external drive to avoid eating up internal storage.

I'm literally doing that right now with a PS4 game and I'm only downloading the PS5 version that the disc gives me access to. It's not installing the PS4 version at all.

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
I noticed the disc randomly decided to spin up at max speed for 20 secs or something, and the disc was just sitting there for hours. It happened twice over about 8 hours. I haven't found any clear pattern. I wasn't playing the game that was in the drive.

Obviously the drive will be noticeable while installing, it's a 10x drive as opposed to the PS4's 6x. I'm not surprised they needed rubber grommets for damping the vibration.

Some people might have one of their disc that is unbalanced, these things happen.

It's also spinning up a short time when you start a game that's on disc for the copy protection.
I'm not sure thats the disc. I heard it do this yesterday, But I figured it was the fan ramping up to spit out excess air, then it chills again on the low speed. Does it every 3-5 hours.

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
So is there any correlation between the shut downs and external HDDs? How does it happen? what makes them result?
I've had no issues like this so far and I don't have any external HDD/SSDs plugged in at the moment because of the bugs of having one. it does make me think external storage could be a factor