• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
years? there's no way it goes to another console after a few years. my guess is it stays sony exclusive but can be ported to pc in a few years.

konoka

Dec 20, 2017
We comparing independent developers who companies/livelihood depend on one game to billion dollar organizations like Bethesda Activision and Square Enix? MS/Sony/Nintendo investing in indies helps everyone, filling up Squares already fat pockets just keeps games away from consumers
Big companies make games that need big money.
Making games is not safer for big companies by any means.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Guess this explains the comment or tweet (not sure by who) about not stopping there when Insomniac's acquisition was announced. They were planning to be aggressive on timed exclusivity deals as part of the strategy.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
For their sake, hopefully they were smarter with their money than what they got from Bethesda.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
I expect MS to put their money on Game pass day ones than exclusives but it's that same thing

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Guess this explains the comment or tweet (not sure by who) about not stopping there when Insomniac's acquisition was announced. They were planning to be aggressive on timed exclusivity deals as part of the strategy.
Gaming is a huge part of their revenue. They will do what ever it takes to maintain market share. I'm not shocked ever by any of this ever.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
People cry about reasons why they should buy one box or another, then both companies pull moves like this to give them reasons to play that particular system. I don't get it and it just gives people reasons to go for one console or another. There were several games that MS got I never got to play but I wasn't mad about the practice at all.
As I said, look at Steam on PC. They do not need to do this because they simply put out a product that speaks for itself and allow the consumer to dictate what is best for them. What is the harm is allowing choice for the consumer? is Sony that worried that gamers will flock somewhere else unless they make deals to corral them to their product? We seen the effort they put into explaining why crossplay wasn't good for their business strategy (at the time) so I guess they figure this is what works.

Nov 11, 2017
It's not even a question of do they need help funding as it is would they actually fund it to begin with if not for cutting a deal with Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo.
Of course they would 😄, square wouldn't stop making games if money hats stopped and we went back to marketing deals.
Tomb Raider was poorly managed in terms of budget. They needed huge sales to guarantee simply breaking even, which is no doubt why they took the deal, to somewhat ease that financial anxiety.

And it's probably the same situation with Square Enix, especially when it comes to new IP. Remember, the cost of AAA development is orders of magnitude greater these days, so it'd only take one flop to put a big dent in a studio, or a particular arm of it (eg the the part of the studio that worked on the particular failed title).
Square is risk adverse, they will gladly take a deal offered like tomb raider or final fantasy 7. Those games were coming out regardless of whatever hat was thrown their way. I agree AAA development has risen so they will gladly accept these trash deals because like I stated they're risk adverse

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Pretty sure the Dishonored games didn't exactly sell gangbusters, and Bethesda has been on record in the past about their struggle to sell single player AAA games. So I don't think it's as clear cut as you're making out.

For all we know, this money hat may have guaranteed more future games like Deathloop.
Please. They do not need help to get a game off of the ground. This is absurd.

Tomb Raider was poorly managed in terms of budget. They needed huge sales to guarantee simply breaking even, which is no doubt why they took the deal, to somewhat ease that financial anxiety.

And it's probably the same situation with Square Enix, especially when it comes to new IP. Remember, the cost of AAA development is orders of magnitude greater these days, so it'd only take one flop to put a big dent in a studio, or a particular arm of it (eg the the part of the studio that worked on the particular failed title).
Where are you getting this? Do you have ANY links to these claims?

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
This. Still a scummy practice, though.
Scummy? I dunno man I used to think this way but now I'm thinking it's just business as usual. Companies do this all the time . Is it scummy that I can only watch friends on HBO max? Not really.

It's a bummer that I won't be playing these games sooner as an Xbox guy but I dunno slummy seems like a strong word

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gaming is a huge part of their revenue. They will do what ever it takes to maintain market share. I'm not shocked ever by any of this ever.

Me neither. I have no issues with timed exclusive deals in general, tbh. There are some cases when it sucks like Street Fighter this gen, and to some extent Tomb Raider, both of which I wasn't planning to play and didn't, but it is what it is.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'll blame the developers too, because they're still profiting from this shitty move. The party I blame the least is Sony, because ... well, this is what they do.
Well, if the developers profit off of this than I don't have a problem with these deals. You should be happy they're financially secure and can continue to make more games.

When it comes to Arkane and Tango though, I don't think they're really profiting. Their games aren't the system sellers these deals make them out to be and are designed for a niche audience so I think limiting that audience even further could be detrimental.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
People seem to have this idea that companies should/would only make financially beneficial partnerships or deals when they are on the verge of bankruptcy apparently.

Oct 25, 2017
All I'll say is the idea that bigger developers / publishers still shouldn't jump at deals that give them guaranteed money up front to help cover costs and ensure they stay afloat and staffed is kind of dumb.

Warner Bros. Is literally looking to sell their entire gaming division right now.

It's not uncommon for known developers to go through layoffs (not just down sizing after a large project) or get shuttered completely after failed projects. The whole industry is risk averse, especially with new unproven properties.

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'm not going to hate on them for this, nor do I think it's scummy.

They are a business and their job is to get consumers to want to buy their console over Microsoft's console. If there is a game you really want to play and it's only on PS5, get a PS5.

Just like if you want to play Halo Infinite, you'll need an Xbox or a gaming PC.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
As I said, look at Steam on PC. They do not need to do this because they simply put out a product that speaks for itself and allow the consumer to dictate what is best for them. What is the harm is allowing choice for the consumer? is Sony that worried that gamers will flock somewhere else unless they make deals to corral them to their product? We seen the effort they put into expaling why crossplay wasn't good for their business strategy so I guess they figure this is what works.
What choice does the consumer need in this scenario? They want games played on their system first. This is like crying about Sony never releasing their games on PC. This argument is so weak to me. They want as many good games on their system and also more than anything taking on some of the risk that these companies take on games to make them more successful. These deals are a win win for Sony and the developers and allows for more creativity and risks taken on certain games than just having companies just releasing sure hits like Hollywood. I see no bad reason for Sony or MS to prop up certain 3rd party games on their respective systems first or other incentives a majority of people only go for one or maybe two consoles ever. So incentives to buy one over the other is a natural process.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny in a way because most PC gamers are completely fine waiting for a game to come out on PC whereas with console gamers any hint of timed exclusivity and they throw a fit.
We've developed thick skin over the years. :) Besides, PC gaming has really only exploded in the last 2-3 years with ports that most of us never thought we'd see. You have one group that's used to waiting (sometimes in vain) vs one that's not.

Scummy? I dunno man I used to think this way but now I'm thinking it's just business as usual. Companies do this all the time . Is it scummy that I can only watch friends on HBO max? Not really.

It's a bummer that I won't be playing these games sooner as an Xbox guy but I dunno slummy seems like a strong word
Oh. It's definitely a great business decision for Sony. I'm only talking about it from a consumer standpoint. Consumers don't benefit at all from a company artificially blocking their access to something that would otherwise be available.

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sure if the game is starting out on one platform and they need money to port them. If install bases are low, wouldn't it make more sense to expand your audience right away? Most sales are front loaded.

The support of these games going by the interview isn't so much as them helping the studios, it is the allure of "hey look, if you want to play these games you have to get a PS5". Sony is selling a product, it has very little to do with financial security aside from the indie titles.

Nah, it's not even about needing the money to port a game, it's simply about having that financial safety net to ensure some level of success even if your game sells poorly or fails, not to mention immediate cashflow to re-invest in the studio and in more projects.

On your point about install bases, again, no, because the compensation for timed exclusivity likely exceeds whatever number they were were projecting or targeting realistically reaching, in terms of multiplatform sales volume.

My guess is in all these situations the compensation for timed or permanent exclusivity exceeds whatever the studio in question feels they'll lose in lost sales, whether temporary or permanent, hence they take the deals.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
People seem to have this idea that companies should/would only make financially beneficial partnerships or deals when they are on the verge of bankruptcy apparently.
People don't seem to realize that a big publisher like THQ went bankrupt, AT&T is trying to sell off their gaming division, and most of the time big publishers don't put out new IP because they don't want to take the risk.

Drksage

Oct 30, 2017
Moneyhats are immoral

NOW BUY THE FUCK OUTTA WB GAMES PHIL
este-es-el-origen-del-1_0_15_550_342.jpg

T/N: in short, the hypocrisy

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Me neither. I have no issues with timed exclusive deals in general, tbh. There are some cases when it sucks like Street Fighter this gen, and to some extent Tomb Raider, both of which I wasn't planning to play and didn't, but it is what it is.
Me either, he'll there were some cool games that Xbox had like cuphead and Eventually came to other mediums, timed exclusives are a way better proposition and allows for the console makers to share some risk with devs, but allow some autonomy it's like the console makers being venture capitalists and investing in games they want on their platform but then allow them to go make more money after a certain time.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Please. They do not need help to get a game off of the ground. This is absurd.

Where are you getting this? Do you have ANY links to these claims?

www.criticalhit.net

Tomb Raider needs to sell 5 million to break even

Analysts say those big, blockbuster AAA titles you love need to sell 5-10 million units to make any money.

"The AAA market is extremely competitive. Most of Square Enix's franchises are single player games, which are less popular than multiplayer. Square Enix has been a leader in that sector, but now faces stronger competition from multiple publishers, both large and small, including Bethesda, Capcom, Xseed, Atlus and Level 5.

Square Enix's franchises are well established and require ever-higher production budgets to match and surpass past performance. The latest Hitman and Tomb Raider sold in the three million unit range and got Metacritic ratings above 8.

Those numbers would rate as successful for JRPGs that earn more from vendors as exclusives and have manageable budgets. But for games with development budgets approaching $100 million to be truly profitable, ratings have to be above 8.5 and sales need to be in the five to ten million unit range."

So you either stop making those types of ever more expensive games, make them and take the risk they'll pay off and be successful despite needing far greater sales to break even, or take money hat deals that greatly reduce your financial risk and lend to more financial reward, thus a greater likelihood of being able to continue to develop these types of projects without fear of diminishing returns.

These kinds of considerations don't just apply to indie devs, but AAA devs too. Especially given the numbers and risk in a cost sense, is much greater.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
Exclusive for a couple years? Well I guess when it does drop for my console I ain't buying your old ass game anyway lol.

Its bullshit when anyone does it. Pay for exclusive skins and the like, not the whole game.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Being very aggressive to start a console generation. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

Of course, they want content to sell a product and what quicker way then to also make deals with third party?

It helps to create analogies that are relevant. I don't need to buy a new TV to access HBO.

Nah, it's not even about needing the money to port a game, it's simply about having that financial safety net to ensure some level of success even if your game sells poorly or fails, not to mention immediate cashflow to re-invest in the studio and in more projects.

On your point about install bases, again, no, because the compensation for timed exclusivity likely exceeds whatever number they were were projecting or targeting realistically reaching, in terms of multiplatform sales volume.

My guess is in all these situations the compensation for timed or permanent exclusivity exceeds whatever the studio in question feels they'll lose in lost sales, whether temporary or permanent, hence they take the deals.

Those studios then need to be acquired. Arkane does not need Sony to save them. Of course they are compensated, any business looks at what's best for them. All this does is showcase how none of this is really designed for the consumer but they act like it is.

I expected to happen, it happens every generation. What I would like to see, which will never fully happen, is transparency. Tell us upfront how long, how much was paid. This industry is so shady that's the problem.

Considering the big hitters of the timed exclusivity announcements are both new Bethesda IPs, I wonder if Sony is going to get real crazy with their cash and try to get Starfield. It's BGS's first new IP in a long, long time and it certainly seems like a much more severe stab at MS's longtime association with the company that goes all the way back to Morrowind if it can be pulled off.

We'll see MS do the same thing, and Nintendo will continue to do their strategic partnerships that keeps certain third party games off of other consoles as well. Shitty as the practice is in terms of inclusiveness, it worked in the past, it works now and it will always be a good weapon for the console holders to wield.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
Yeah, not sure why people are surprised. Money hats are super important to these companies at the start of a new generation. Nothing wrong with them, it's just business.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
But if I don't have the designated platform, I'll never get to play their games? What sort of logic is this?
Go play the massive backlogs of games that seemingly everybody has. I just do not understand the complaints with this when the industry has SO many games to play due in part beacause these companies have a Financial hand in helping devs be successful.