• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Some interesting decisions there including the browser which honestly I never used. And some of the other stuff well nice I think doesn't take priority over getting some of the other aspects of the system working.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
60 minutes of recording. That's a lot and better than on current gen consoles. I always hated when you pushed the button to record the last minutes and then something was missing.

I had no idea you could record more already, from the other replies to this. But honestly what's worse for missing stuff was when it just like... randomly didn't record parts? Like it would just jump ahead.

Still kinda annoyed that I had some extremely goofy shit happen by accident in Death Stranding only for the recording to bizarrely be missing the actual moment, which sucked.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
Can I listen to my own music while playing on PS5?

Yes. Spotify will be supported at launch, enabling music playback, including as in-game background music. Players can also listen to music from a USB drive, including MP3, FLAC, and AAC formats.

your definition of "my own music" is very different from mine. Can i play music I own from a storage device?

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the simplest way for me to transfer my save and relevant games from my PS4 to PS5? And do I need to remove the games I don't want to to transfer over from my PS4 beforehand?

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
60 minutes of recording. That's a lot and better than on current gen consoles. I always hated when you pushed the button to record the last minutes and then something was missing.
The Xbox One X been able to do that since launch at 4k60, and I think the PS4 Pro too but not at 4k60 (dont have a pro to test this)

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
So if we are using legacy Playstation headsets like Gold/Platinum/etc over USB, and want to get the Tempest 3D effect, should we disable the Virtual Surround Sound (VSS) function?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the simplest way for me to transfer my save and relevant games from my PS4 to PS5? And do I need to remove the games I don't want to to transfer over from my PS4 beforehand?

...huh, I didn't think about the second part. So I found this video from the past few days:

But it mostly just covers the initial setup, which I guess is everything, including your users and all that. There's a mention of just transferring games/saves in another menu which might let you be more selective.

...personally, I'm lazy and will probably just transfer everything (over LAN?) and then delete what I don't want; otherwise I'd just grab my saves from PSN+. Though if you already store games on an external hard drive, it sounds like you can just swap that over to the PS5 and it'll work as is. I'm not sure if you have to manually copy saves over to the drive beforehand if you do that though; I've put saves on a USB drive but never put games on it, so idk if the saves are also stored there by default or on the console still.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Hey samred I know you mentioned you had your hard drive hooked up to hub, so do you have any idea why their FAQ says it doesn't?

dallow_bg, did you see this?

Sounds like I'll need to do some testing.
Thanks.

Here's a stupid question - I haven't kept up with or cared about preordering. Is there any chance I could snag a PS5 on release date via Best Buy or Amazon or should I just not bother till later.
Unless you buy from a scalper, there's zero chance of buying a console on release day

Walmart already stated they'll be selling systems on launch day online:

PlayStation 5 (PS5) - Walmart.com

Shop for PlayStation 5 (PS5) at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.
Check the banner up top.

I'm guessing you'll see sporadic online sales as well from other retailers.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Yeah, it'll be tough.
Quite. In fact, as crazy as it sounds, Walmart, Target, and Best Buy shadow dropping the PS5 preorders out of nowhere probably helped the enthusiasts get consoles before the bots could. If you give a planned release time and date (like with the Series X and 3080), that gives the bots a ton of time to plan.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
...huh, I didn't think about the second part. So I found this video from the past few days:

But it mostly just covers the initial setup, which I guess is everything, including your users and all that. There's a mention of just transferring games/saves in another menu which might let you be more selective.

...personally, I'm lazy and will probably just transfer everything (over LAN?) and then delete what I don't want; otherwise I'd just grab my saves from PSN+. Though if you already store games on an external hard drive, it sounds like you can just swap that over to the PS5 and it'll work as is. I'm not sure if you have to manually copy saves over to the drive beforehand if you do that though; I've put saves on a USB drive but never put games on it, so idk if the saves are also stored there by default or on the console still.

Thanks for sharing this. Ugh I hope it doesn't pull everything. I won't have the storage for that lol. But I'll probably just delete games I don't want it to pull over soon, since I barely play them and I need to get my PS4 Pro ready to be traded in for whatever store credit I can get.

I'm assuming LAN transfer will be incredibly faster than if I downloaded everything over PSN, is this accurate?

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Thanks for sharing this. Ugh I hope it doesn't pull everything. I won't have the storage for that lol. But I'll probably just delete games I don't want it to pull over soon, since I barely play them and I need to get my PS4 Pro ready to be traded in for whatever store credit I can get.

I'm assuming LAN transfer will be incredibly faster than if I downloaded everything over PSN, is this accurate?
Should be much faster through LAN.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
Is there a list of release day PS5 games floating around somewhere?

It literally is on the Playstation Blog link in the OP

SIE Worldwide Studios Games: Launch Day

• Astro's Playroom (Japan Studio) (Pre-installed on PS5)
  • Demon's Souls (SIE Worldwide Studios, Bluepoint Games)
  • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Insomniac Games)
  • Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered (included with Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales Ultimate Edition) (Insomniac Games)
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure (Sumo Digital)

Third-Party Games: Launch Day

• Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Ubisoft)
  • Borderlands 3 (2K)
  • Bugsnax(Young Horses)
    • Note: available at launch on PlayStation 5 to PlayStation Plus subscribers at no extra cost until January 4, 2021!
  • Dead by Daylight (Behaviour)
  • Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition (Capcom)
  • Dirt 5 (Codemasters)
  • Fortnite (Epic)
  • Godfall (Gearbox)
  • Goonya Fighter (Mutan)
  • King Oddball (10Tons Ltd)
  • Maneater (Tripwire)
  • NBA 2K21 (2K)
  • No Man's Sky (Hello Games)
  • Observer: System Redux (Bloober)
  • Overcooked! All You Can Eat (Team 17)
  • The Pathless (Annapurna)
  • Planet Coaster (Frontier)
  • Warhammer: Chaosbane Slayer Edition (Nacon)
  • Watch Dogs Legion (Ubisoft) (Digital all countries except China & Japan. Early 2021 for Japan)
  • WRC 9 FIA World Rally Championship (Nacon) (Digital countries except China & Japan. Early 2021 for Japan)

Dec 14, 2017
I'm a bit confused on bc still. We can download our ps4 games to the internal ps5 ssd, right? I don't have a spare usb storage device large enough to do that method, and I'm only going to replay 2-3 ps4 games so I'm fine with redownloading. Alternatively, I have the ps5 disc version pre-ordered, and do have some ps4 games both digitally and physically. I can just put the ps4 discs in the ps5 get my saves from psn plus and be good to go?

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Do we already know how long it takes for a PS5 game to install from disc to SSD?
It's going to be very game-dependent. We can expect the segmented single player games to be around 60 seconds or a couple minutes like we had on PS4.

For full installs, considering the drive is 10x CAV in 66/100 mode, 8x CAV for 25/50, the ideal speed would be:

42 mins for a 100GB (3L, 10xPCAV)
28 mins for 66GB (2L, 10xPCAV)
26 min for 50GB (2L, 8xPCAV)
13 min for 25GB (1L, 8xPCAV)

Something like that?

Last edited:

Moosichu

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand why Sony undersell their BC support so much in their FAQs, especially with games like Ghosts of Tsushima and Day's Gone now supporting 60FPS. Surely you would be shouting about that from the rooftops as well?

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand why Sony undersell their BC support so much in their FAQs, especially with games like Ghosts of Tsushima and Day's Gone now supporting 60FPS. Surely you would be shouting about that from the rooftops as well?
Not if it's only a few games. I don't think they have a mandate on this and it's probably mostly up to the developers based on their time & budget. Then again, I could be wrong, but I'm just assuming the worst.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
If it's like the PS4 & PS3 then it can bitstream Atmos from discs (it doesn't need to support the processing / license). We have seen "Bitstream (Dolby)" option for PS5.
That's more than likely what will happen. This just essentially means no Atmos for games, which was to be expected since they're going all in on Tempest.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I'm a bit confused on bc still. We can download our ps4 games to the internal ps5 ssd, right? I don't have a spare usb storage device large enough to do that method, and I'm only going to replay 2-3 ps4 games so I'm fine with redownloading. Alternatively, I have the ps5 disc version pre-ordered, and do have some ps4 games both digitally and physically. I can just put the ps4 discs in the ps5 get my saves from psn plus and be good to go?

You don't need to put the discs in if you have PS+. Just download the save files. I would make sure the save files are compatible as some publishers are not doing so on the platform.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
Depending on how the implementation turns out on Xbox, the real loss might be Dolby Vision for games.

Oct 30, 2017
The Web Browser was primarily useful to me for when I needed to connect my PS4 to hotel wifi.

I often needed to navigate to the hotels wifi page to get online. Not sure how I do that now.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
It won't be an Ultimate FAQ until they ultimately adress the issue with requiring PSPlus cloud to store saves of PS5 games.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
I have a question which i don't see answered.

If i use the PS4 to PS5 transfer facility via wifi/ethernet will my PS4 data move over or copy over?

I just want to make sure that my data remains on my PS4 as well as my PS5

Avalt

Nov 3, 2017
If I have a PS5 in the living room and a PS4 in another room, can they both be used simultaneously with the same PSN account?

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
It's really nice that they put out such a detailed FAQ before the console release. I hope they do update it over time as there are still some unanswered questions (VRR, ALLM, 1440p, ect...) and a bunch of non-commital "Comming Soon". Overall there's a lot missing than many expected, but it kind of goes with a OS refresh and highlights the different safer (And much less exciting) approach on Xbox. I'll be very curious to see which of these get addressed by the end of the year and which take longer.

Some standouts to highlight that weren't mentioned in OP

Is 3D Audio available through TV speakers?
TV speaker virtual surround sound won't be available on launch day for PS5 but is planned for a future update.

Can I use the DualSense wireless controller with my PS4 console?
The DualSense wireless controller is not compatible with the PS4 console.

Are PS5 games region-locked?
No.

Will PS4 demos or betas be playable on PS5?
The majority of legacy PS4 demos and betas will not be playable on PS5. Moving forward, however, new demos and betas will be playable on the PS5.

Can I transfer save game progress from a PS4 game to a PS5 version of that same game?
The ability to transfer game saves between a PS4 version and a PS5 version of the same game is a developer decision and will vary title by title for cross-generational games.

Does PS5 support 3D Blu-ray movies?
No, 3D stereoscopic output is not supported on PS5.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Not having a web browser that the user can bring up whenever doesn't mean it doesn't have web browser functionality. The Switch brings up a web browser when you need to do certain actions on the Switch, you just can't choose where to go and such.

Does anyone know how streaming works? Is it the same as the PS4 Pro?

Anacaona

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Will my ps4 saves transfer over my Ps5 by just logging in? What about my digital purchases?

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Will my ps4 saves transfer over my Ps5 by just logging in? What about my digital purchases?
Try reading the FAQ?

Can I access my digital game collection from any PS5? If so, how?

Players can log in to any console with your PlayStation account and access their content while logged in. This is easy to do using the new PlayStation App for mobile devices, which allows players to sign in to a console from the app without having to enter your password on the screen with a controller.

If I bought digital PS4 games at PlayStation Store, can I download them on PS5?

Yes. When the PlayStation 5 console launches this November, more than 99 percent of the 4000+ games available on PS4 will be playable on it. Refer to this guide for more information.

How do I transfer my PS4 game save files to PS5?

Players can transfer game save files from a PS4 console to PS5 using a LAN cable, by connecting wirelessly (WiFi), or saving the save files to a compatible USB drive. And if you are an active PS Plus member, you can transfer your PS4 game saves to your PS5 using cloud storage.

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
The lack of good surround sound support is disappointing. I have a nice 5.1.2 system that I want to use.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I hope you can use Type-C port in the front to charge the controller. Otherwise I'm in a bit of trouble with the USB ports XD