• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
Hey guys, are experiencing terrible audio quality ? Me and my friends have used different headsets and all sound terrible or pickup echo of our voices. Even the PS4 mono packed in headset doesn't work on PS5 good 😩

xRaymne

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Hey guys, are experiencing terrible audio quality ? Me and my friends have used different headsets and all sound terrible or pickup echo of our voices. Even the PS4 mono packed in headset doesn't work on PS5 good 😩
It sounds different, but haven't picked up any echo's.

I wouldn't call it terrible either. Haven't had any reason to call it worse than PS4. But that's just my experience.

Edit: been playing primarily with PS5 - PS5 party chat

kris_ffc

Jun 3, 2020
YES. I can hear an echo of every fucking word I say when I party with my friend. Just me though, she doesn't hear herself!

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Maybe a bug with the controller mic. Can you disable it and then use a headset?

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Maybe you have controller mic on and use headset so it echoes?

Try to disable controllers microphone

calder

Oct 25, 2017
If you hear echoes of your voice that's 99% because one of the ppl you're talking to has their speakers too loud or too close to their mic.

OP
OP
Abudiix

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
we all have sound coming from headset only same as PS4 with same headsets also plugged into controller with 3.5mm... I have been using PS4 mono headsets for years with no issues but on PS5 my friends say they hear themselves echoing

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Not noticed any difference, and the hearing yourself echo'ing used to happen on just the PS4 for no apparent reason, usually resulting in everyone reconnecting their headsets and it resolving itself.

I have the say the built in mic on the controller is absolutely appalling quality on the PS5. It's weird because I'm sure there were videos leading up to launch of people using it on PC and the quality being reasonably OK.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Most certainly you and your friends have the controller mics on instead of the headset. Was the same for my brother yesterday and after he switched it in the options it works fine. 3 friends an I were on PS4 and only he on PS5 though.

Jul 1, 2020
I had this issue yesterday and solved it by switching to USB audio instead of using the headphone jack on the Dualsense. The person I was playing with could no longer hear themselves.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
If plugged in to the controller, try adjusting the microphone level, at around 20 percent should be good enough. But I guess every mic may be different, so adjust till you cant hear yourself, or button presses.

Toli08

Oct 27, 2017
Zero echo and I am playing on a Ps5 while the rest of the party is on ps4. I am also using a Turtle Beach plugged into the controller. I know at times on the ps4 if I got echo I would have to toggle with the headset sliders.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Had a whole session tonight with the controller inbuilt mic and a double shared-screen setup going. Worked perfectly the entire time. Didn't even really have to raise the controller to my mouth to talk and just played normally. I might just do this from now on instead of using a headset.

emiliolargo

Nov 11, 2017
Already posted in PS5 OT some days ago but got no answer - Just got the PS5 today and noticed that my headset's mic is not available to choose when plugging my headset (Beyerdynamic MMX 300) into the DualSense's headphone jack.

I did not have any issues with Dualshock 4 but can now only choose the Mic integrated into the DualSense. Did anyone else have trouble using their headset's mic when connected to DualSense? If so, is there a workaround?

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I wanted to bump this up because it is fucking terrible how bad this is. Every friend of mine that's playing from a PS5 comes out with some terrible audio quality, regardless of the headset they are using.

My friends using the Pulse headset, I barely want to play with them because it sounds so bad. Another friend using his Astro A40s, and his voice is clipping constantly, and sounds muddier than before. Another friend using the Artis, and it sounds 'muddy', as if the quality is lower... perhaps the bitrate? I don't know. It sounds terrible though compared to the PS4 voice chat which can be pretty clear, and considerably worse than what you get on XBOX or discord.

In total I've had maybe 10+ friends joining my parties with different headsets and the audio quality is worse than they were before from all of them. Also, I didn't get an echo from any of them, personally. Just very muddy / low quality mic audio.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I've been using the controller and I get echo, but I assumed that was the price to pay for using a controller mic for voice chat.

My only complaint so far is that the audio is too low, quality seems fine

Last edited:

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I find reports of this odd. I'm using the Pulse headset, and my party chats have been great. Perfectly clear, and my friends say my voice is also great.

Curious if people are using wireless, is the dongle plugged into the front or back of the ps5? Mine is in the front USB A slot.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
As soon as I switched to PS5, my friend who is still on PS4 started hearing an echo of his voice while playing with me. All my audio comes through in-ear headphones and literally nothing changed except the console I'm using so idk what's up with that.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had an issue when doing cross platform chat with a buddy on pc. When playing with my friend who's also on PS5 it's been clear.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
The only time I have ever had poor audio quality is outside of party chat whenever I play COD Cold War, as for some reason, all in-game audio styles sound quite a bit muffled to me on headphones (all other games sound crystal clear on my M50XBT).