• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's Your Favourite First Party Exclusive of the PlayStation 5

• Screw Compartment

Votes: 324 9.2%
  • Liquid Metal

Votes: 1,209 34.3%
  • Vibration Dampeners

Votes: 55 1.6%
  • SSD Tray

Votes: 320 9.1%
  • Replaceable Side Panels

Votes: 361 10.2%
  • Dust Traps

Votes: 515 14.6%
  • Thor 2: The Dark World

Votes: 744 21.1%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
That heatsink looks big af.

The dust traps sounds interesting. Does that mean I can use a small vacuum cleaner to dust out the PS5? Not really a fan of tearing my system apart to dust out the fans

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
even thought of dampening the disc drive sound as well. they really want to make sure you don't hear anything.

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That bluray drive looks totally modular. Should mean aside from the drive + custom side panel, the rest of the system is shared between DE and Disc models so they should be able to switch production to adjust how many of each they produce fairly quickly - and shared cost reductions acdross both lines as they get incorporated
Yup! From what it seems, besides the disc drive being screwed to the side, and the custom 'curved' panel to accommodate said disc drive, the rest should be identical. Almost as if the standard ps5 is the digital edition, then you attach that blu ray drive. Seems to be the only difference

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
2020-10-0714_54_57-ps3uj3v.png
i.e. "Still don't put that fucker on the floor, you slob"

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
No, you're going to see a lot of places selling customized shells. It's why whatever LE's Sony releases are going to be more elaborate than just a standard paintjob. To some extent Part II's console design is probably a hint at what you can expect from the PS5 LE's as far as them being more elaborate

3673121-49911052607_81jkoj.jpg

They may not even do special editions and can do just the panels themselves and a controller.

Oct 27, 2017
Guy could easily wear the console in his torso as a bulletproof vest or something. How the hell is this thing SO BIG. It looks even bigger than before! Need to check those measurements ASAP, worried it won't even fit in my cabinet

Bazz Bazz

Feb 5, 2020

neemmss

Oct 27, 2017
Such a well thought out system! I can't wait to see the ifixit score it a 10/10 on repairability.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Notice the depth of the bay.
I wonder if you can squeeze certain NVME SSDs with a heat sink in there?

Gigabyte-Aorus-NVMe-Gen-4-SSD-heatsink.jpg

Might not even need to since it looks like it will draw fresh air through there.

Some designs will fit, some with large heat sinks probably won't. I'd follow Sony's list of verified compatible drives to be on the safe side, whenever they start publishing that...

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
Despite it's elegance and modularity it still seems more complex compared to the construction of the Series X. The way that thing slots together is so simple they let journalists do it themselves. Will be interesting to see the comparisons when both are out.

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
Finally some info! The console looks really tightly built and well engineered! I knew the PS5 is supposed to be big but seeing it next to the guy, I'm really surprised that it is THAT big! And the two fans are really thick and the heatsink is massive!

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Wait a second - where's the power buttons?

I hate that the power / eject buttons are so small and badly labeled on the PS4 Pro.

edit:
5ee3cae7aee6a82621271b88

oh no ... fuck off...
I mean, that's better than on the PS4 Pro, i guess...

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Makes that "PS5 runs cool" thread from the weekend look rather silly now.

Hopefully we learn soon what SSDs we can internally install soon. Although prices are pretty high right now so hoping in two years I can get a 2TB drive for $200 or less to install.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
That is a pretty clever implementation of liquid metal. I have used it in PS4 Pro and my laptop and I'm always scared of shit leaking beyond epoxy I applied around the die.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
yeah but its double the thickness. its almost like 2. sucking from both sides. and the fins look like it'll suck in more air compared to a normal fan.

sUxTNaO.jpg
You're right about that. The fan design of the XSX is completely different but curiously it seems to have a similar thickness.

Just got to the liquid metal part. Well shit. Hopefully this is all good enough to keep thermals and noise levels under control.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Concern Trolling; History of Platform Waring
I can't believe they are actually doing liquid metal...it's uh concerning

To use liquid metal in a consumer product means they are running this thing on the absolute edge of what it's capable of ...and that is not good for something people won't remove dust from or maintain like people would with a very high end cantankerous pc

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Either black or classic gray for me. Maybe even with colored PS logo.
FA739480-5-D69-4276-A4-BF-C04-C875-E8423.jpg

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Like half the console is fan and heatsink.
That fan is only 120mm, but it sure is thicc. It's kind of like two regular 120mm fans?
Granted he says it was required, but liquid metal is super effective.
They even put holes in the plastic cover to suck out dust from, lol.
So yeah, they appear to have taken cooling seriously.

I wonder about cooling for the expansion SSD though. Probably the ones that perform well enough for Sony to validate them, will all have their own heatsinks.
But it looks like it'll be in its own little compartment with no airflow. I don't know enough to know whether that will matter.

He didn't mention the nut. What is Sony hiding?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Makes that "PS5 runs cool" thread from the weekend look rather silly now.

Hopefully we learn soon what SSDs we can internally install soon. Although prices are pretty high right now so hoping in two years I can get a 2TB drive for $200 or less to install.
Internally install? I don't think you can internally install anything on these.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Looks nice.

I wish PlayStation would get away from the creeky/cheap plastics though. The PS4 Pro sounds brittle and thin when you handle it and I feel like the black plastics on the PS5 have that same brittle plastic sound/feeling based on the sounds in the video.

Doesn't matter much when it's just sitting there on a shelf, but takes away from the premium feeling.

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
That's one big fan, I like it! although its weird that the fan pushes the air to the side. Never seen something like that before.