• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's Your Favourite First Party Exclusive of the PlayStation 5

• Screw Compartment

Votes: 324 9.2%
  • Liquid Metal

Votes: 1,209 34.3%
  • Vibration Dampeners

Votes: 55 1.6%
  • SSD Tray

Votes: 320 9.1%
  • Replaceable Side Panels

Votes: 361 10.2%
  • Dust Traps

Votes: 515 14.6%
  • Thor 2: The Dark World

Votes: 744 21.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Safe to say that both console makers are clearly taking some decent losses on these products. No way can any of this be just slightly more expensive then retail price, just not possible with the tech inside. Heck even the memorry chips are shockingly good for both and the SSD's would not have been cheap.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
"Opening it up" is kind of strong. You take off one side plate and unscrew the SSD hatch. Seems just as easy as the original PS4. Plus it has the added benefit of pretty much guaranteeing that storage will eventually be significantly cheaper on PS5 than on Xbox.

Looks like it takes all of a minute lol.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I am getting black covers the moment they become available.
12970_1.jpg

rafiii

Feb 7, 2019
That heatsink is just gigantic compared to the Series X.
Great engineering though :)

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
I'm pretty happy that they talked about disconnect the Bluetooth and WiFi aerial cables. Should be good for connectivity.

Also a lot of small thing that were great, detachable side panels, dust catchers, noise dampener on the disc drive. Just lots of small thing that will make for a quality box.

GeometryHead

Oct 27, 2017
Looks great. Liquid metal and dust traps were great surprises, and it looks like the M2 slot can fit a beefier SSD than I expected.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
User Banned (2 Weeks): Platform Warring and Trolling Over a Series of Posts; Recent Ban for the Same Thing
Jesus the ps5 is massive lol

And so damn ugly.

Last edited:

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
"Opening it up" is kind of strong. You take off one side plate and unscrew the SSD hatch. Seems just as easy as the original PS4. Plus it has the added benefit of pretty much guaranteeing that storage will eventually be significantly cheaper on PS5 than on Xbox.

Well, the average person has previously just plugged in a HDD to their PS4. Now it's required to open it up. Definately a "worse" user experience but not a huge deal.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
There will probably be third party covers that are just straight and black instead of the curvy white ones. I'll get those immediately

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not quite as guaranteed but may potentially be cheaper. Who knows what Microsoft's choices will bring nor Sony's with the clear "requirement" being 5.5GB/s raw performance on the PS5. My worrry is any old SSD won't work due to it being less than the internal, causing load issues with the Kraken custom controller plus just not even being compatible to begin with. Time will tell!

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
yikes, i would much rather but a ssd card from the outside like xbox than have to open it up and put a ssd that hopefully works there
Taking a cover out, installing your new certified SSD (which will ensure it will work on the console). I'd prefer to be able to buy an SSD from different manufacturers, as proprietary ones have proved to be more expensive and hardly go down in price as quick as regular ones. If this is about hotswapping, that's gonna be an issue for virtually no one in the long run.