• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Playstation 5 a good name?

• Sure, makes sense

Votes: 1,010 67.2%
  • No, I wanted something different

Votes: 43 2.9%
  • To PS9 and beyond!!!

Votes: 449 29.9%

• Total voters

Ellyshia

Oct 27, 2017
No that's a dumb idea...

Not only because people were calling the PS1 the PSX back in the day but also because the PSX is actually a real life system that Sony released in Japan (Basically a PS2 with DVR capabilities)

Console_psx.jpg

And no OP Sony should keep things straight and simple.
I feel like having a 50+ year gap or so in using the same name means no one is going to remember or be talking about the ps1 or og psx anymore. But maybe they will and people will constantly be confused. "PSX? You mean the current system you and I are playing, or the one my grandpa had that I've only seen in pictures?"

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Because it's boring and uncreative?

Boring and uncreative or simple and straightforward for your product range? Everyone knows what a Bmw 1,3,5 and 7 series are. What a Mercedes A,B,C,E and S class are. What they have been for decades, no one has to explain that. As opposed to giving your car random names and then needing to waste time explaining what it is. I know what a PlayStation 5 is, what a ps5 pro will be, right away. It's not "wait, what's the new Nintendo called?"

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Idk why anyone here cares that it's boring and uncreative.

PS5 is simple, to the point, and makes sense. No need to rock the boat if you don't have to. Just keep the numbers going.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If they ever did change it, then id be worried about the leadership and future of Sony

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Let's look at the big three and the names they have used.

Nintendo:
Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES)
Nintendo 64 (N64)
Nintendo GameCube
Wii
Wii U
Nintendo Switch

Microsoft:
Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One

Playstation:
Playstation
Playstation 2 (PS2)
Playstation 3 (PS3)
Playstation 4 (PS4)
Playstation 5 (PS5)

Consistency is pleasing to see.
58wK.gif

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Boring and uncreative or simple and straightforward for your product range? Everyone knows what a Bmw 1,3,5 and 7 series are. What a Mercedes A,B,C,E and S class are. What they have been for decades, no one has to explain that. As opposed to giving your car random names and then needing to waste time explaining what it is. I know what a PlayStation 5 is, what a ps5 pro will be, right away. It's not "wait, what's the new Nintendo called?"
Hyundai Sonata, Genesis, Equus. Wait, is the song faster than the Bible book or the horse?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
if Nintendo calls their next console the Switch 2 I think that would be a very good idea, the Switch name itself is now a strong brand

if they can think of a name to accompany it without giving people the wrong impression (ala WiiU), then that would work as well

but Switch 2 just gives you a good idea of exactly what ur gonna get

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Hyundai Sonata, Genesis, Equus. Wait, is the song faster than the Bible book or the horse?

Exactly, i hear Equus and I'm like "Uhm....it has wheels?". You tell me a c class, even if I don't know the new one or any specifics I can form a picture in my head. "Oh, the entry level luxury one". Hell I could even give a rough price range. You literally know what you're getting into, just from the name

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My thoughts exactly.
Well at least somebody agrees with me, even if we're in the clear minority.

I think there's something to be said for "Playstation 5" if only because it bridges a clear and obvious gap to the true next generation. If we are truly moving towards a platform that highlights backwards compatibility though, I feel like something more inclusive is necessary. There needs to be a way to demonstrate a clear generational break, but also implies that all your previous purchases will carry forwards. Playstation Next would be nice, or maybe something more obvious like Playstation Generation.

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
Its conservative and safe like how the controller design hasn't changed much as well, it works for their customer base so why not, let Nintendo do the heavy lifting on changes

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just wondering what you think of ALL the other devices' naming convention like iphone, galaxy s, surface, etc......
I think it is a bit different for phones and tablets, which have 12-24 month generational gaps. The importance of a generational distinction kind of hinges on whether or not old games and software will continue to work, and that still seems unclear for the Playstation line.

Incremental names make sense for incremental improvements......a 10-S makes more sense for an incremental yearly product than a platform that is supposed to reinvent itself ever 5-7 years.

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
Good to see the poll reveals the most vocal are in the minority. PS5 name makes sense,

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it is a bit different for phones and tablets, which have 12-24 month generational gaps. The importance of a generational distinction kind of hinges on whether or not old games and software will continue to work, and that still seems unclear for the Playstation line.

Incremental names make sense for incremental improvements......a 10-S makes more sense for an incremental yearly product than a platform that is supposed to reinvent itself ever 5-7 years.
I think your disconnect is thinking that Sony is reinventing themselves this coming generation, they really aren't.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
It's smart. It makes sense. Even people that don't know anything about consoles can go, "oh yeah, this must be new since 5 is bigger than 4."

It also doesn't back them into a corner like Microsoft did with the "Xbox One."

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
No, I wanted a Super PlayStation U 3.0 Turbo.

Who the hell is asking for this shit to be more complicated than it has to? The numbers are more than fine.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think your disconnect is thinking that Sony is reinventing themselves this coming generation, they really aren't.
I think that "Play the same games, but with marginal improvements that you may or may not notice depending on the TV you bought and your sensitivity to framerate/resolution" is not a great way to sell $400-$500 consoles. Especially in an era where products like the Switch or XCloud are offering legitimately new ways to play. They will ultimately do fine with something generic like "Playstation 5", but they ought to lean into a concept like VR or cloud gaming or something a bit more inspirational and game-changing. Xbox One and Wii were forward-looking names, even if their promise didn't really pan out.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think that "Play the same games, but with marginal improvements that you may or may not notice depending on the TV you bought and your sensitivity to framerate/resolution" is not a great way to sell $400-$500 consoles. Especially in an era where products like the Switch or XCloud are offering legitimately new ways to play. They will ultimately do fine with something generic like "Playstation 5", but they ought to lean into a concept like VR or cloud gaming or something a bit more inspirational and game-changing.
Leaning into their strengths/next steps is what messaging and marketing is for, more than a flashy name.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
It makes sense but I`d like to see something different.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I think that "Play the same games, but with marginal improvements that you may or may not notice depending on the TV you bought and your sensitivity to framerate/resolution" is not a great way to sell $400-$500 consoles. Especially in an era where products like the Switch or XCloud are offering legitimately new ways to play. They will ultimately do fine with something generic like "Playstation 5", but they ought to lean into a concept like VR or cloud gaming or something a bit more inspirational and game-changing. Xbox One and Wii were forward-looking names, even if their promise didn't really pan out.
I mean, a lot of those same kinds of conversations were being held around the start of this gen too.

I don't think sony needs to complicate the message when what they are doing is selling another console

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Leaning into their strengths is what messaging and marketing is for, more than a flashy name.
I think we can agree that the name ultimately won't matter that much. The products and services that support the platform will ultimately make the difference. If Sony or Microsoft makes a "WiiU" mistake and doesn't make some kind of clear generational shift evident, that would be bad.....but otherwise the naming convention is ultimately a matter of taste.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the most powerful brands on the planet. Instantly recognisable and clearly stipulates what is the current model without confusion to the consumer.

Don't fix what isn't broken.

Exactly.

By extension, no one knows what the hoot MS is going to call their next gen console.

Xbox One 2
Xbox Two
Xbox 1080

They are all bad and it's a mess

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
PlayStation Galaxy
PlayStation Infinity
PlayStation Virtual
PlayStation Cancer
PlayStation Scorpio
PlayStation Orbis
Those all sound better except for Cancer... to each their own.
Thinking it sounds fine is okay.

But looking at that list, can you tell which one is the latest one?

Which one is better out of Galaxy and Infinite?
Is Galaxy a samsung console?
Is orbis the latest one? or is Cancer?
Is Scorpio the mid-gen refresh of Cancer?

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
The brand is strong, you'd have to be a special kind of dumb to fuck with it now.

"Yo, we got the Playstation Matchbox 2020 coming out in November!"

6 months later: Sony shuts down Playstation division due to significantly lower than expected sales.

Sol Mori

Jun 10, 2018
I think that "Play the same games, but with marginal improvements that you may or may not notice depending on the TV you bought and your sensitivity to framerate/resolution" is not a great way to sell $400-$500 consoles. Especially in an era where products like the Switch or XCloud are offering legitimately new ways to play. They will ultimately do fine with something generic like "Playstation 5", but they ought to lean into a concept like VR or cloud gaming or something a bit more inspirational and game-changing.

It is a good thing that it isn't called "PlayStation but with marginal improvements". Names are just that, names. It is the job of marketing to actually sell the console. Sony doesn't need to add confusion to their brand with a change of naming scheme.

Creative or cutesy names are fine and dandy, but ultimately pointless. The Switch isn't selling because it is called the Switch and even Nintendo has shown that the entire point behind the name (switch from TV to Portable) isn't all that important with the (doesn't) Switch Lite. The Switch could have been called any number of things and been just as successful because Nintendo was able to market it properly without introducing brand confusion (see Wii U).

Microsoft didn't want to get into the business of being Xbox + n because they didn't want to deal with always being a lower number than the PlayStation. They felt, and are probably correct, that the general market would be confused and think that Xbox 2 is inferior to PlayStation 3.

Even Android appears to be moving away from their snack based name scheme and just on to numbers. Numbers are easy for the general consumer compared to disassociated names. If you didn't already understand their scheme you would be confused if Oreo is better than Lollipop. Sure we may understand that it is alphabetical and that O is more recent than L, but does the average person know this? The average person does, however, easily and instantly know that 10 is more than 9.

The job of the console name isn't to inspire, it is to quickly let you know that this is the next generation version.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
Given how naming conventions tend to go lately it'd just be called the PlayStation if it was renamed.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
The silly thing was actually keeping the name a secret, then announcing its PS5. Should have just said it from the start.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Really dislike that one has to go to wikipedia to try to find order of release for books, movies or consoles.

Numbers it is.

Don't worry OP, you will get your creative horseshit with the next Xbox.
Didn't they move to O, XO, OXO, XOXO naming scheme? (Better than arbitrary as you can count letters and love grows with each letter.)

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah. It's simple and it's clean. And they're some of the few pieces of electronic hardware that feel like they earn that updated number.

And it's been like this for 20 years. It's be stupid to call it The Playstation Infinity or whatever whack cliche name they'd come up with. It'd just be confusing now. "Playstation Zero? I'll wait for the 5"

Keep it simple and clean.

81QWa2SdU-L._SX522_.jpg

Alex2DX

Nov 6, 2017
Maybe a weird thing to be disappointed about but i would legit be if they named it something other than PS5.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
It will work until double digit numbers. Mind you I don't see PlayStation making it past 7. Too much will change in the next 20 years for you to get PS7.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
They would regret it if they changed. They even regretted the SPIDERMANSTATION 3 font, returning to the 90s looking PlayStation logo on game packaging etc.

The stupid thing is them still naming their controller. The original 'Dual Shock' had a semi-descriptive name because it was a mid gen add-on to catch up with the N64's analogue and rumble. The Sixaxis also had a semi-descriptive name because it was an answer to the Wii Remote, and the DS3 was a mid-gen add-on again on PS3 after it turns out they had breached patents back when answering the N64s rumble and eventually paid for them. But the PS4 controller did not need a freaking name, it's a generic controller, nothing special, just the PS4 controller.

Just classic Sony silly branding, like "Magic Gate" MEMORY CARD (8MB) (For PLAYSTATION 2).

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
It feels like I'm part of a long and successful journey since 1994 with PSOne. When I think about Ps5 I remember all the fun I had with the previous gens.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apple does this too and I'm sure it's because they know it'll just be simpler for everyone. Nobody wants to remember some stupid name, and nobody wants to sit there coming up with some new name either. Familiarity is pretty important for most people.