• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so now you've got a piece of code. Are you going to require publishers to add it to every PS5 game that's yet been released and all in the future? Are you going to create an internal wrapper to apply it to games when they're moved to an external drive?

etc. etc.

Of course, it's not the most difficult programming job, but it's also not as '5-minutes-easy' as you imply.
Why would publishers need to be involved and yes it sound like a very easy update to add a flag to check if the game is in cold storage or not. like something an intern could do

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
So PS5 Pro releases in summer, gotcha.

There are SSDs with heatsinks. I wonder if they are installable inside the PS5.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I'd be surprised if it's that binary. If you're playing something from the internal SSD then I wouldn't have thought you'd need to push the fan much harder; not sure how much temperature an SSD generates when it's idle, but I assume not much.

I'd guess that they would use a different fan profile only when games are running from or installing to the expansion SSD.
It's relatively straightforward how a typical fan control loop operates when there's a single fan but multiple sources of heat. The ideal fan profile is to run at the lowest speed it's allowed based on the worst case of all temperature test points.

The amount of air going through the SSD cavity is a percentage relative to the fan speed. So if it's already enough air for some drives, these brands and models will have zero measurable impact on the fan since the worst case source of heat would be the CPU/GPU anyway, while others might cause the fan to spin up if they have an inadequate heatsink.

These drives didn't even exist during development. They had to develop their own SSD controller with 12 nand channels and custom priority queues to achieve this speed. The drive needs 6 to 7GB/s to keep up with the internal drive. They couldn't test the expansions until they had samples, which came very late. Comparatively, MS solved the "unknown" by using a much lower spec of 2.4GB/s and also offering a single proprietary option. It allowed them to have the fan curves already dialed in at launch.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
SSDs in general do get quite hot, so I both understand completely, but am also spooked a bit by the purported fan speed increase.

My honest guess? There won't be an audible difference, and it'll be totally fine. I do think the feature still being disabled for so long after launch leaves a little more room for concern.

Last edited:

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
1tb Samsung and WD drives that fit the speed required are $230.

The SSD slot is ventilated and there were already plans to modify fan speed if games required it. Modifying it when you add hardware that gets hot is exactly well thought out, they are stress testing and making changes before the update.

Exactly. People in this thread are embarrassing. It's been known since the original tear downs that the M.2 slot was literally placed there so it would receive cool air from the intake. The slot sits literally right beside the intake fan and the vents. They didn't just slap the fucking thing together. There was clearly thought put into this to make it accessible for you to upgrade / add a new drive but also keep it cool by having it near the air intake.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Exactly. People in this thread are embarrassing. It's been known since the original tear downs that the M.2 slot was literally placed there so it would receive cool air from the intake. The slot sits literally right beside the intake fan and the vents. They didn't just slap the fucking thing together. There was clearly thought put into this to make it accessible for you to upgrade / add a new drive but also keep it cool by having it near the air intake.
We already knew this from the early teardown and everyone seems to have forgotten.

Further details on how the SSD expansions will be cooled.
Oct 27, 2017
I'm posting this again for the new page. This is how SSD expansions will be cooled.
Also, it is well known that M.2 SSDs that support PCIe connections generate heat under high loads, and some PC motherboards are equipped with heat sinks for M.2 SSDs, so we wonder what kind of innovations are used in the PS5.

Otori: We have two exhaust holes for additional SSD slots. Because the slots for expansion are located near the intake fan, the structure is designed to suck out heat from the exhaust holes with negative pressure.
There are more details in the thread below.
www.resetera.com

Some more details about the SSD expansion slots in the PS5 plus other details

All posted by Orzkare Some really cool stuff here

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Obviously I don't think he's really astroturfing, but it's so annoying to call people that have issues with their consoles to be unreasonable, I dunno how you can reach that conclusion, no one is happy to complain about an issue they have.

I already said multiple times here, a PS5 can come mounted with 3 different fans, one is noisy (Nidec), the rest aren't. The other thing is coil whine, but that's harder to control because everyone is in the same page there. I know not everyone will know this but I don't think there's any need to be this dismissive.

My DualSense so far are fine btw, thanks god lol I also have a really silent disc drive (atleast more silent than the PS4/Pro ones), which people often complain (and I won't call then unreasonable).
That's true - I don't think they should be dismissive of the fact. Unfortunately this forum sometimes feels like a whole lot of posters just want to handwave whatever doesn't affect them and then get mean / toxic / jump on the bandwagon whenever people who are frustrated post something that maybe is a bit dramatic, but is honest about how they feel.

Wish we could be a bit more positive / supportive of each other.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I wonder if the heat issue is the reason MS went with a slower drive
I don't think that's the case. My take is that:
  • Sony had a design spec that required the higher speeds, the idea being that there was a threshold at which developers would be freed from having to build in strategic loads/renders and could just rely on real-time loads/renders. And since they're focused on PS5 exclusively, they didn't have to concern themselves with broader ecosystem questions.
  • MS releases everything on Xbox and PC, so while they were almost certainly aware of the potential to utilize the design Sony adopted in the PS5, they likely felt that they'd never realistically be able to design their games around such a spec because it's not a viable approach for the PC market. (Essentially you'd need to design a strategic load/render implementation anyways because most of the PC market won't have HW that meets your spec.) So they probably saw that, and also figured that the drive spec they went with provided sufficient performance otherwise. And given they already allocated a bunch of their console BOM to the APU, they welcomed the cost-savings (especially considering that they not only save cost on the consoles, but also the cost of Xcloud blades).

Bluemaster77

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
  • Sony had a design spec that required the higher speeds, the idea being that there was a threshold at which developers would be freed from having to build in strategic loads/renders and could just rely on real-time loads/renders. And since they're focused on PS5 exclusively, they didn't have to concern themselves with broader ecosystem questions.
  • MS releases everything on Xbox and PC, so while they were almost certainly aware of the potential to utilize the design Sony adopted in the PS5, they likely felt that they'd never realistically be able to design their games around such a spec because it's not a viable approach for the PC market. (Essentially you'd need to design a strategic load/render implementation anyways because most of the PC market won't have HW that meets your spec.) So they probably saw that, and also figured that the drive spec they went with provided sufficient performance otherwise. And given they already allocated a bunch of their console BOM to the APU, they welcomed the cost-savings (especially considering that they not only save cost on the consoles, but also the cost of Xcloud blades).

There's nothing in the available data that supports any of these assertions beyond MS wanting to unify Xbox/PC developments. HDDs were already on the way out of the door before these consoles even launched. You were hard pressed to buy a new computer that featured a standard HDD since like 2016. And this design decision likely had less to do with performance gains and more to do with the reliability upgrade of transitioning to flash storage.

Just my two cents.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
This doesn't hold up when you consider Sony is going to now be releasing their games on PC. I'm sure MS didn't chose their speed due to heat though. I'm guessing both made the decisions they did due to cost. $500 was the target and one went with an SSD because the graphical power was deemed sufficient and the other chose graphical power as they deemed the SSD speed to be sufficient.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
This doesn't hold up when you consider Sony is going to now be releasing their games on PC. I'm sure MS didn't chose their speed due to heat though. I'm guessing both made the decisions they did due to cost. $500 was the target and one went with an SSD because the graphical power was deemed sufficient and the other chose graphical power as they deemed the SSD speed to be sufficient.
That reason is exactly what was presented from the original PS5 hardware stream.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, what? We cant do it now cause they need to turn the fan up?
No, because there aren't any officially supported ones yet.

They'll update the firmware with a whitelist of drives that can be supported.
At the same time it'll have new fan profiles, since NVME drives can get rather toasty.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not expecting that SSD will produce much heat when controller will mostly read from it. It will be fine. The SSD bays have ventilation holes, and PS5 fan will move the air around the drive.

As for fan functions, that's just a new system feature. To help console better handle all types of enviroments [the console will soon enter into its first summer on the northern hemisphere], and accumulation of dirt.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
That's true - I don't think they should be dismissive of the fact. Unfortunately this forum sometimes feels like a whole lot of posters just want to handwave whatever doesn't affect them and then get mean / toxic / jump on the bandwagon whenever people who are frustrated post something that maybe is a bit dramatic, but is honest about how they feel.

Wish we could be a bit more positive / supportive of each other.
I try and be supportive, but there's a bandwagon effect in both directions that always makes it more dramatic than it needs to be. I get that people are frustrated, but the sense I get sometimes is that these threads devolve into the the line of "Manufacturer X is screwing us all over" kind of thinking rather than the helpful "You got a defective product that needs to be replaced" or "Maybe there's an incompatibility/defect that has yet to be discovered/fixed" which could lead to better outcomes for us all.

A recent example I could think of are threads around external HDs causing issues with the PS5. Collecting stats on what drives people are using and the types of issues they are having is the type of outcome that would be helpful to us as a community, but threads about it often become a cesspool of FUD and warnings that using everyday features of your console will cause irreparable damage.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
As for fan functions, that's just a new system feature. To help console better handle all types of enviroments [the console will soon enter into its first summer on the northern hemisphere], and accumulation of dirt.

I'm expecting people to wrongly attribute fan-noise level changes caused by ambient summer temps to the NvME functionality. Or at least, assume so without any actual info/confirmation.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
A recent example I could think of are threads around external HDs causing issues with the PS5. Collecting stats on what drives people are using and the types of issues they are having is the type of outcome that would be helpful to us as a community, but threads about it often become a cesspool of FUD and warnings that using everyday features of your console will cause irreparable damage.
I'm not sure if you'e unaware or I'm just not reading your post correctly but that's exactly what did happen in the larger thread about external storage. It's how we know that the PS5 doesn't work well with certain controller chipsets and you shouldn't use rest mode with drives/enclosures using that controller.

Craiji

May 26, 2018
I hope the 980 Pro makes the compatibility list. I grabbed the 2TB option when Amazon had it on sale, fearing any part shortages as we get closer to when Sony launches the functionality.

Ikarus

Oct 30, 2017
Cold storage is probably a higher priority to solve first. Cheaper and affect potentially far more people than more expensive solutions like this.

Both of my PS5s are silent though, so bring on faster fans when the time comes.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Finally. As long as it's not jet engine levels, that's fine by me. Curious if the fans only trigger if the heat levels increase. also curious adding cooling to the m.2 drive may help as well.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Please let us use cold storage. I bought a 13tb external HDD for my Series X and it makes a huge difference.

Yeah why in the world is that not an option? I understand not being able to play PS5 games from external drives, but being able to use it for cold storage would solve so many problems resulting from having such a pathetically small SSD. I also can't believe Sony is still stuck with only allowing one external drive in use at a time, when Microsoft makes it so much easier to deal with storage on Xbox.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
So the problem with the expansion storage right now is that PS5 could not handle the additional heat generated by the ssd. That's interesting

Is there anything beyond conjecture to indicate that the fan levels are related to the storage upgrade? To me, it read like the fan changes are just something separate bundled with this release. Cos going into summer, they don't want peoples' consoles to explode all over the place.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Is there anything beyond conjecture to indicate that the fan levels are related to the storage upgrade? To me, it read like the fan changes are just something separate bundled with this release. Cos going into summer, they don't want people's consoles to explode all over the place.
They talked about enabling modular fan speeds based on the game or activity that would be added last year.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Is there anything beyond conjecture to indicate that the fan levels are related to the storage upgrade? To me, it read like the fan changes are just something separate bundled with this release. Cos going into summer, they don't want peoples' consoles to explode all over the place.
Nope. This thread is pure speculation.
FW updates for fan changes was already known.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
Haha well now I'll have to go find comparison youtube videos for how hot the SSDs get, on top of the quality and price to decide. Kind of wish sony had made their own competing solution.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018

Sony has released games originally designed for PS4 on PC 2+ years after original release. They haven't released a PS5 game yet that fully exploits the SSD to improve world rendering. Even Ratchet and Clank only uses it in limited, on-rails segments. Extensive use of the SSD will come in 2022-2023 games and if you add 2 years to that for PC release, mainstream desktops will have caught up to PS5 speeds by then.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Is there anything beyond conjecture to indicate that the fan levels are related to the storage upgrade? To me, it read like the fan changes are just something separate bundled with this release. Cos going into summer, they don't want people's consoles to explode all over the place.
Selling a console that can't survive summer without a firmware update would be grossly incompetent to the point where we'd see a class action lawsuit spring up almost immediately.

I get that people are exploring options, but realistically this is more than likely down to the fact you're adding a device that can reach 70+ degrees to the console which has tiny airflow holes in that bay so they need to ramp up the cooling solution to accommodate this.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Yea but there still could be variance on the approved models.
I'm sure they account for the variance when approving them. They aren't going to test a single sample from any given manufacturer. The samples will most likely have to exceed the requirements over the margin of error.

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
What I'd like to know is when you can fridge PS5 games on an external. I'm already full up and have games I can store with a lot more coming in March. I'm on limited data so this would help me a lot.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like Sony didn't think consumers would be happy with a cold storage option or maybe they were concerned with some aspect of it (security or usability?).

It is just rather odd. They spent time to set up a system to tell the user which apps could be moved instead of just making them all movable.

I also wonder how many people are working on the OS.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Pretty much. You notice it also says it's also coming with the fan speed update, not that the fan speed update is specifically linked to it. It's probably part of the first major update to the system.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I'm not sure if you'e unaware or I'm just not reading your post correctly but that's exactly what did happen in the larger thread about external storage. It's how we know that the PS5 doesn't work well with certain controller chipsets and you shouldn't use rest mode with drives/enclosures using that controller.
Oh well that's good and I stand corrected. I think I ignored some of the earlier threads because of the typical bandwagoning toxicity. Do you have a link to the thread that has the information?

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Sounds like some people here already know exactly how the PS5 will sound after the expansion.
It actually sounds like some people here already know how it currently sounds, and if adding a drive to it makes it even louder, it's a cause for concern. Imagine that.

Cold storage would have negated a lot of the issues. The minute Sony knew their storage was going to be so limited, it should have been a top priority to make transferring PS5 games possible. And while they're adding that, add support for Dual Shock 4s and all other PS4 compatible controllers. There's no reason other than greed not to.