• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah, if you look at some reviews of Gen 4 PCIE SSDs, not only do they run hot, there is a decent amount of varience for heat generation and temperature between different vendors.

WD 850 drive is very hot, for example. I also wish that Sony would fix their external storage issues and offer cold storage. I have no faith in faster fan being able to cool SSD compartment at all. Heatsink on that will be a must as well.
Even the faster gen 3 drives are hot enough to warrant a heatsink and good airflow.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Well if that metal cover touches the SSD, it actually acts like a heat sink. Any metal surface will do so, some better than others, but it will actually dissipate heat more evenly. And I guess the fan will blow from the side of the SSD there enough to move that heat dissipated by the cover.

Unless you add some pads there's no way that cover touches ssd. Also there is reason why heatsinks are made from aluminum or copper.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If you're worried about the fan noise, wait until these are out and tested and you can see which ones run cooler. There's going to be a large variety, espescially when you consider various approaches to heat spreaders etc. I doubt it'll be a major factor though, and I'd be shocked if anything approaches PS4 levels, let alone the noisiest of PS4 Pros.

even the ones that have chunky heat sinks on PC, I imagine we'll see custom/accessory heatsinks suited to the PS5 space

Bluemaster77

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
If what people in this thread are saying about heat are true, what can I expect from a expansion perspective? Is this negative or neutral news?

Risk Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how quiet the PS5 is, I'd take the slight noise increase. There's no way it will be louder than my old PS4 (or my old PS3 for that matter).

Same here. My PS5 is barely audible 95% of the time.

A most likely very slight increase in rpm at some points for having expanded storage that is super fast and not sticking out in any way? Sure.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
interesting point about running on an SSD which is external to the mainboard. Also it looks like its right by the exhaust so last in the chain so I think it just gets diverted air so shouldn't really have any impact on overall SoC temps etc, its more a case of making sure the flow is enough to cool the SSD itself
Good point about where the extra SSD is located.

Another point in regards to an extra SSD/NVMEdrive for the PS5 is that on the PS5 motherboard, theres 6 SSD chips (3 on each side), and there is some space in between them. On a NVME-drive, these chips are likely a bit closer together, which might produce a bit more heat due to that. I'm very curious to see how much more noisy a PS5 will potentially be due to inserting an extra SSD. Personally, i'm not expecting that much more noise to be honest, but i could see it being a bit louder.

Scared to see the prices
Looking at NVME-drives with similar read/write speed for PC, its around $230 - $250 for 1TB. I expecting it to be the same for PS5 considering that these drives are the same that PCs uses. I'm curious how things will be distributed though. I mean, will each manufacturer mark their drives as "PS5 compatible" and/or will Sony have a list on their website showing which NVME drive that is fast enough and can be used on a PS5.

EDIT: Or as someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, maybe even faster NVME-disks are needed for the PS5 due to how the overall system architecture is built. If so, then the prices might be higher.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked that people complain about PS5 noises. Did I just get lucky with mine since it's completely silent? My PS4 base and PS4 PRO sure as hell weren't any silent.

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
Awesome I'm glad that there's a timeline now. Also since the m2s run so hot I'm not surprised that the fans will need to run to match.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
Good point about where the extra SSD is located.

Another point in regards to an extra SSD/NVMEdrive for the PS5 is that on the PS5 motherboard, theres 6 SSD chips (3 on each side), and there is some space in between them. On a NVME-drive, these chips are likely a bit closer together, which might produce a bit more heat due to that. I'm very curious to see how much more noisy a PS5 will potentially be due to inserting an extra SSD. Personally, i'm not expecting that much more noise to be honest, but i could see it being a bit louder.

Looking at NVME-drives with similar read/write speed for PC, its around $230 - $250 for 1TB. I expecting it to be the same for PS5 considering that these drives are the same that PCs uses. I'm curious how things will be distributed though. I mean, will each manufacturer mark their drives as "PS5 compatible" and/or will Sony have a list on their website showing which NVME drive that is fast enough and can be used on a PS5.

I would assume its a whitelist. Up to Sony whether they implement a check in software or not. I would think they would especially if they are concerned with cooling. I would think therefore that people's assumptions about prices dropping would be a pipe dream since 'PS5 compatible' would be a badge that would keep prices steady

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Hopefully the higher speed fan profile doesn't kick in if you don't use the expansion slot. I rarely use the ps5 and delete games I 100% so the included storage is fine for now. I don't want more noise, the console isn't ps4 bad but it's already not "silent".

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
This is from an interview before launch in October, there is a section about cooling additional SSDs

So, definitely keep the cover installed, it's there for a reason.
www.resetera.com

Some more details about the SSD expansion slots in the PS5 plus other details

All posted by Orzkare Some really cool stuff here

Yeah, i don't think there's anything to worry about really(so far)
Fan increasing speed could also mean just a small increase in RPM as they are a good size.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I'm shocked that people complain about PS5 noises. Did I just get lucky with mine since it's completely silent? My PS4 base and PS4 PRO sure as hell weren't any silent.
You're probably just a reasonable person. If my room is completely silent (central air is not running), game is paused and I stick my head into the furniture I hear something. My furniture is open on all sides (basically two big shelves with drawers below). I assume if the PS5 was boxed in on all sides except the front it would run hotter and project that sound outwards at a higher volume. Maybe we're both lucky.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
You're probably just a reasonable person. If my room is completely silent (central air is not running), game is paused and I stick my head into the furniture I hear something. My furniture is open on all sides (basically two big shelves with drawers below). I assume if the PS5 was boxed in on all sides except the front it would run hotter and project that sound outwards at a higher volume. Maybe we're both lucky.

You are describing as the ideal furniture that basically no one has and your assumption is for furniture that most people has as TV stands

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
I don't think expecting people to have at least had a cursory glance at the discussion they are participating in is in any way unreasonable.

I would say I had a cursory look. I skipped comments. Yes I missed his about the multiple types of fans and didn't know it until now. No need for you to jump in, "defend the hive", what unwarranted wank.

Last edited:

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of performance are they even guaranteeing on the M.2 drive? I mean, Ratchet & Clank seems to use the streaming of the on-board drive to a very large extent, but the m.2 drive won't have the same advantage of the I/O tweaks that the on-board storage has, right? Can they even guarantee all games will work directly off the bog-standard PCIe gen4 M.2 drive?

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I hope there's support for this beast right here:

shop.westerndigital.com

WD_BLACK™ SN850 NVMe™ SSD PCIe® Gen4 for PC or Laptop | Western Digital | Western Digital Store

Long load times are obsolete with next-gen PCIe® Gen4 technology. Arm your system with RGB lighting, an optional heatsink model, and up to 2TB1 capacity.
I wouldn't use this drive as things stand in a PS4 right now. It literally runs the hottest out of all the mainstream PCIE4 drives Unless WD tweaks it's firmware, I would avoid it for the console.

The drive is fantastic in a big PC with a big heatsink and bunch of fans blowing air across. In a tiny enclosed space of PS5 without a fan blowing air directly at it and not much room for a heatsink....

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I wouldn't use this drive as things stand in a PS4 right now. It literally runs the hottest out of all the mainstream PCIE4 drives Unless WD tweaks it's firmware, I would avoid it for the console.

The drive is fantastic in a big PC with a big heatsink and bunch of fans blowing air across. In a tiny enclosed space of PS5 without a fan blowing air directly at it and not much room for a heatsink....

I doubt they whitelist anything to beastly for PS5, unless they announce some external adapter cable for the drive bay or something.

GronkyKong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What kind of performance are they even guaranteeing on the M.2 drive? I mean, Ratchet & Clank seems to use the streaming of the on-board drive to a very large extent, but the m.2 drive won't have the same advantage of the I/O tweaks that the on-board storage has, right? Can they even guarantee all games will work directly off the bog-standard PCIe gen4 M.2 drive?
That's why Sony are going to produce a list of approved drives that meet spec.

A lot of people in this thread also seem to not realise why putting an extra 70c of heat into your console requires extra cooling.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So they take this long to finally talk about expanded storage but it will lead to louder consoles. Man Sony is really knocking it out of the park with their console design this gen. Oh well not like I can even find one to complain about the future extra noise.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Mark Cerny covered this in his famous PS5 talk back in March of 2020. The internal expansion SSD's will need to be faster than the PS5 internal SSD to overcome the fact that they don't support as many priority levels as the PS5. They also have to physically fit, and not be doing weird stuff (like weird filesystem shenanigans etc.). Sony will test them and release a list of compatible drives.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
User warned: hostility, accusations of shilling

Seriously ya'll getting paid for this? because I want some of it too then.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
That's why Sony are going to produce a list of approved drives that meet spec.

A lot of people in this thread also seem to not realise why putting an extra 70c of heat into your console requires extra cooling.

Mark Cerny covered this in his famous PS5 talk back in March of 2020. The internal expansion SSD's will need to be faster than the PS5 internal SSD to overcome the fact that they don't support as many priority levels as the PS5. They also have to physically fit, and not be doing weird stuff (like weird filesystem shenanigans etc.). Sony will test them and release a list of compatible drives.

Thanks, hadn't hear what Cerny had said on the matter.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
The internal SSD is a nice idea, but Sony should just add the option for quick and easy cold storage.

Just let folks buy a USB 3.1 2TB SSD.
Copying an entire game to a drive like that should only take between one and five minutes.

That'd help so much more people than including the option for drive that still come at a pretty huge $ / GB premium.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
They could also potentially work with WD (and other vendors) so if the drive controller detects specifically PS5, it would operate in different performance envelope.

Yeah, i don't know how costly the top end stuff is though, people with the dough probably don't care about wasted performance anyway. but i'm going to be on the "budget" (lol) end i think.

So they take this long to finally talk about expanded storage but it will lead to louder consoles. Man Sony is really knocking it out of the park with their console design this gen. Oh well not like I can even find one to complain about the future extra noise.

People are guessing it's going to be noisy or the fan is going to be going like the clappers.

Last edited:

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
What does being reasonable have to do with it? My PS5 and XSX are sitting right next to one another. The XSX isn't whisper quiet. It's dead silent unless I put my ear up to it and then I can hear the whir of the fan a little. Every single game on the PS5 causes the fan to immediately kick up to a level that is audible where I sit 10 feet away. It's not annoying, but it's very noticeable. What is annoying though is the accompanying coil whine that occurs on pretty much every game made for or optimized for the PS5. Reason has nothing to do with it.

Oct 27, 2017
This is cool, and it would be in addition to the existing storage right? So 500GB ssd would bring it something just over 1TBish?

id rather do a USB SSD but idk if that's possible

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
I have a m.2 in an enclosure and that sucker gets hot. If this firmware change allows for cold storage, I'm set. I'll just move stuff over.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I absolutely get that 'putting an extra 70°C of heat into your console' is going to require lots of extra cooling!

Is that what happens when I add an SSD into the PS5's expansion bay?
You are putting in a device that can run between 50 and 90 degrees celsius. PCIE drives can generate a ton of heat. If you have proper cooking and preferably a heatsink, it's fine, but the drive space in a PS4 is enclosed without direct air blowing across from it and it's small so larger heatsinks won't work.

GronkyKong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely get that 'putting an extra 70°C of heat into your console' is going to require lots of extra cooling!

Is that what happens when I add an SSD into the PS5's expansion bay?
Pretty much, m.2 drives run hot. It's the downside to the speed they can hit. 70c is an example but it's a fairly common number.

The Samsung one in my PC is under a heatsink on the motherboard and hits 55-60 and stays there most of the time.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
This is cool, and it would be in addition to the existing storage right? So 500GB ssd would bring it something just over 1TBish?

id rather do a USB SSD but idk if that's possible
Yes, unlike the PS4, this adds to what you already have. And no, USB SSDs will never work for playing PS5 games from. The hope though is that Sony will stop being dicks and finally let us use the USB drives to store PS5 games we're not currently playing.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I don't think the fans will be that much faster just for SSD, but they had already planned future updates to the software / firmware in regards to cooling.

Heck, even a demanding game like R&C might require some new adjustments to fan.

Seriously ya'll getting paid for this? because I want some of it too then.
Uh, I think claiming/inferring someone is astroturfing is a bannable offense. Better to just report if you really believe it to be the case.

For what its worth, I've been around 4 different PS5s so far and all of them have been quiet. Might also just be lucky, I guess?

Less so with the DualSense though (one had drift, got repaired... and then my pack-in controller has a mushy X button -_- )

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the metal case directly beneath the m2 slot? Wonder if you can put a thermal pad on it to help transfer the heat to the case so it doesn't produce as much heat.