• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Unlock =/= "will typically run at"

The engineers know the maximum heat output of the console is X watts. The maximum heat output with an m.2 drive will be X + 5 watts. That doesn't mean the console will run at X + 5 watts in any real-world scenario, just that they will unlock the capability for the fan to run faster in case it happens.

They're unlocking the fan speed precisely because the fan needs to spin faster to keep the SSD properly cooled. Will it run at the higher speed all the time is a different story and yet to be determined.

OP
OP
Jawbreaker

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Here is the official English version of the Bloomberg article.

www.bloomberg.com

Sony to Open PlayStation 5 for Storage Upgrades in Summer

Sony Corp. is preparing to open up its PlayStation 5 for internal storage upgrades this summer, lifting a bottleneck that prevents gamers from having more than a few marquee games on their console at one time, people briefed on the plan said.

It doesn't say the fans will run faster, only that the update will unlock higher speeds.

Thanks. Edited the OP.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
There is a space in the compartment for small heatsink+thermal pad which should mitigate the heat problem a bit.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
At the very least Sony should sort out the cold storage issue. They talked about it 3 months ago, yet still nothing.

There's no getting around the extra heat that a high-performance SSD puts out. But they could solve the cold storage issue way, WAY sooner with a software fix.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They over-designed this system and overlooked / didn't do anything about the airflow to the expanded internal SSD? Man...

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
There is a space in the compartment for small heatsink+thermal pad which should mitigate the heat problem a bit.
Heatsinks will be required for whatever SSD goes in that slot. Gen4 NVMes put out way too much heat when running at full throughput to be ambiently cooled.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
I guess it is due to the fact, that the slot is too small to fit a m.2 SSD with heatsink? So they have to increase fan speed to cool the SSD drive enough, so it doesn't automatically slow down due to getting too hot?

GCkSpif.jpg

That heatsink doesn't seem to be adding much width to the drive. It would probably fit.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Sony design nice looking PlayStation hardware but the engineering of them is terrible IMO.
My PS5 already has noticeable coil whine. I'm not exactly wanting to make this thing any noisier than it already is.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I guess it is due to the fact, that the slot is too small to fit a m.2 SSD with heatsink? So they have to increase fan speed to cool the SSD drive enough, so it doesn't automatically slow down due to getting too hot?

GCkSpif.jpg

It's not just that the SSD might get too hot, it's that the SSD generates added heat which then distributes to the rest of the console - and therefore needs to extract that added heat.

You're literally putting something inside the chassis which adds additional heat.

This isn't an issue for XSX as the proprietary SSD sits on the outside of the console so doesn't affect internal temperatures. But even those get ridiculously hot, which gives an idea of the challenge faced.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
SSDs generate a lot of heat, that heat not only impacts the lifespan of the SSD but also it's performance. The PS5 needs those SSDs running at their top rated speeds, not their slower fall-back speed.

They're not unlocking those fan speeds for fun, they are required to keep the console and the SSD cool. Summer is going to see a lot of disgruntled folk here complaining about how noisy their PS5 has become after adding some desperately needed storage to it

Here is a thermal throttling test of the WD SN850 non-heatsink version with and without a fan. The SSD did not run slower without a fan than with a fan running in their setup during write speed of 5GB/s, even at 85C vs 60C.

thermal-write.png

thermal-write-fan.png

You don't need to speculate and fear-monger.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to wait for reviews on recommended ssd for PS5. I suggest everyone to do the same

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Here is a thermal throttling test of the WD SN850 non-heatsink version with and without a fan. The SSD did not run slower without a fan than with a fan running in their setup during write speed of 5GB/s, even at 85C vs 60C.

thermal-write.png

thermal-write-fan.png

From the very page you linked:
All vendors include some form of thermal throttling on their drives as a safeguard, which limits throughput once a certain temperature is exceeded.
Good to know that specific model has a high thermal tolerance, others might not. You don't have to be such a dick, stating facts is not fear mongering.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
From the very page you linked:

Good to know that specific model has a high thermal tolerance, others might not. You don't have to be such a dick, stating facts is not fear mongering.

Stating that people will be disgruntled this summer based on your speculation is not a fact. You don't need to speculate.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Stating that people will be disgruntled this summer based on your speculation is not a fact. You don't need to speculate.
Ok, fair point! That was totally speculation! I accept that and apologise for that on my part.😁

but we both know you weren't just referring to that when you posted graphs of an SSD review of how heat impacts its speed.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
At least this might give companies the time to design custom heatsinks to fit inside the PS5.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
At the very least Sony should sort out the cold storage issue. They talked about it 3 months ago, yet still nothing.

There's no getting around the extra heat that a high-performance SSD puts out. But they could solve the cold storage issue way, WAY sooner with a software fix.

Isn't the cold storage an easy fix. Not sure why they are taking so long to sort this.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Damn it, Sony. The coil whine, the features of it's 4K Blu-Ray player (such as it's menu) being abysmal with no Dolby Vision or Dolby Atmos support, & now with this. They've really rushed this hardware out of the door.

It is supposed to have Atmos support.

Dolby ATMOS and DTS:X available for Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray disc video (when connected to a supported device)

Last edited:

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like the title should be updated to include something about the fan speed increase to compensate for the storage as well

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didnt they mention on the teardown that the m2 slot gets cooling? Its probably planned and they are testing various drives

Turbocharge

Sep 28, 2020

thermal-write.png

thermal-write-fan.png

What are the temps when *reading* from the device? Writing huge amounts of data to the storage medium is something that realistically won't happen that frequently.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I already have one of the loud Nidec fans. I don't want it spinning more.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
That's quite the trade off for more space.....I'll wait for reviews and impressions before jumping in. My Series X has these issues solved so I'll just buy 3rd party games there for now.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway - will wait for update, likely tests of different types of drive with/without heat sink, and results on fan noise.

then either jump in or wait on cold storage

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like a mess.

Microsoft definitely had the smarter solution.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
thinking back to the xbox launch when someone took the expansion card out and the metal part was hot to the touch causing this place to have a mild breakdown about overheating consoles

Oct 26, 2017
There seems to be a bit of a rush to reach conclusions based on minimal information.

"Adding an expansion SSD makes the console louder!" may turn out to be true. "RROD v2, better hire lawyers!" might be jumping the gun a bit?

There's no shame in waiting for more information before drawing a conclusion. No prizes for being first with a hot take.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds like a mess.

Microsoft definitely had the smarter solution.
Proprietary memory cards aren't the smarter solution, they're just a different option. An option that fleeces consumers for money. Sony stupidly implementing consumer m.2 SSDs doesn't mean Microsoft going back to memory cards (that likely just have m.2's inside of them anyway) is the smart move.

Slap a thermal pad on the SSD inside of a PS5 and call it a day.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rich's Toyota comment regarding the design seems apt.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
There seems to be a bit of a rush to reach conclusions based on minimal information.

"Adding an expansion SSD makes the console louder!" may turn out to be true. "RROD v2, better hire lawyers!" might be jumping the gun a bit?

There's no shame in waiting for more information before drawing a conclusion. No prizes for being first with a hot take.
Not sure anyone here has jumped into "RROD v2, better hire the lawyers" territory, unless I missed a super spicy take?

The fan speed is going to increase if you slap in an SSD, that's clear, there's no other reason to mention it in the same breath as the SSD expansion otherwise.

The PS5 is already suffering from some units being noisy, one of culprits of which is the fan noise (mine's like this). It's not unrealistic for people to be a little unhappy that based on what we've been told to assume that fan speed is going to increase and for some that will make their PS5 even noisier.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Proprietary memory cards aren't the smarter solution, they're just a different option. An option that fleeces consumers for money. Sony stupidly implementing consumer m.2 SSDs doesn't mean Microsoft going back to memory cards (that likely just have m.2's inside of them anyway) is the smart move.

Slap a thermal pad on the SSD inside of a PS5 and call it a day.

You're going to get more options in the future for Xbox just like PlayStation. Xbox just planned to have an option at launch.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
And kind of terrifying, since it's already quite a large package. You'd think they would have considered this further?
Microsoft deserves props for how they solved this problem. Despite being proprietary, it just works and it is super easy.

Not happy with the fan having to spin up. I like my quiet PS5. This sorta blows.. why did they ship PS5 with only 600GB available?
Just let us use cold storage Sony, FFS.
I think the PS5 solution will be super easy as well, and just work too. I assume that its just to insert the extra SSD and thats basically it (it probably need to be formated by the PS5 first). Or do you mean in regards to produce extra fan noise? But maybe Sony could have gone with a similar solution like Microsoft have done. Since Microsoft's solution have the some of the extra storage on the outside of the console, then some of the heat is being getting rid off directly outside of the console.

By the way, when running on an extra SSD, wouldnt that take some heat away from the motherboard itself, because then the game isnt running from the SSD chips on the motherboard itself? Maybe it wont make the console itself that much hotter overall. But time will tell how much extra fan noise there potentially will be. PS5's SSD is about twice as fast compared to the Xbox Series X|S, and i assume that this higher speed produces more heat, and being all internal on the PS5, it shall be interesting to see how things will be.

PS5 only shipped with 600GB likely due to keeping the cost down and to be able to have a launch price starting from $399. I agree that a cold storage solution should get here sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure anyone here has jumped into "RROD v2, better hire the lawyers" territory, unless I missed a super spicy take?

The fan speed is going to increase if you slap in an SSD, that's clear, there's no other reason to mention it in the same breath as the SSD expansion otherwise.

The PS5 is already suffering from some units being noisy, one of culprits of which is the fan noise (mine's like this). It's not unrealistic for people to be a little unhappy that based on what we've been told to assume that fan speed is going to increase and for some that will make their PS5 even noisier.

Wow, RROD 2.0 incoming? Sony better hired some lawyers for all the lawsuits.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People were worried about the heat there too.
Not for the console, just the card, which is the ideal tradeoff. PS5 seems to be impact in this case, Series cards come with a heatsink and maintains peak speeds without impacting console heat perf.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
Not for the console, just the card, which is the ideal tradeoff. PS5 seems to be impact in this case, Series cards come with a heatsink and maintains peak speeds without impacting console noise.
Yeah, I don't remember reviews mentioning a different console behaviour when the expansion card was connected