• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I've been wondering about this too. It seems like every single prediction I've seen in these threads has the xbox clocked a bit higher. I'm guessing it's just because the Xbox One was clocked higher than the PS4?

Maybe people just universally have more faith in MS to be able to design a system that can cool a higher clocked CPU?

If I'm wrong, someone feel free to correct me, because I've been scratching my head over this for a while now too.

For me it's the fact that Microsoft is already compromising to reach 3.8 Ghz on the same architecture. They would push it further if they could, a part of me thinks that they are in fact already pushing it further than they realistically can, hence the SMT compromise

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Lol... your GPU alone is more expensive than e entire console and yet the console would have similar or better performance than it. I expect Nvidia and the like to release new GPUs that would have the 2080ti type cards be in the $350 range though.

My best advice would be to wait, buy a console this year then two/three years later build a new PC.

Ehhh, that doesn't seem likely to me. I think the best case scenario is that the 3070 delivers 2080 Ti performance for $499 (while the 3060 is $399 and matches the XSX). Though that's going to punch way above its weight if plenty of games get the new and improved DLSS.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't care if Devs totally ignores the touchscreen on the DS5 Controller, that light is now iconic to PS brand. Any marketing, any TV show and you can instantly recognize it.

If it doesn't involve too much hardware cost, Sony should definitely have that light on DS5 also.
Personally, it looks kinda cool to me.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
Don't care if Devs totally ignores the touchscreen on the DS5 Controller, that light is now iconic to PS brand. Any marketing, any TV show and you can instantly recognize it.

If it doesn't involve too much hardware cost, Sony should definitely have that light on DS5 also.
Personally, it looks kinda cool to me.

Then give us the possibility to turn it off.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Can someone explain how HBM can be beneficial compared to gddr6?
Lower power, lower die area for the controllers, higher capacity, and higher potential bandwidth (4-stacks can be well over 1TB/s total).

The drawback is cost, which is broken down into real component cost, total supply capacity, packaging cost, and test/yield concerns with finished assemblies.

A lot of those challenges may be overcome by the time we see half-step consoles in 3-4 years.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
This thread has consumed a good part of my life since I joined era about 8 months ago. Although I have expressed frustration on here due to Sony's lack of communication and github, I'll never forget the ride that got us here. It's about the journey, not the destination after all, amirite? I am team 14 TF's but wouldn't be shocked (but disappointed) if it's 9.2. And I've said all along I just want both boxes to be close in power. I'll miss the debate over this mystery (and the tech talk among much more informed individuals than I) probably more than I realize I do now.

Last edited:

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Lower power, lower die area for the controllers, higher capacity, and higher potential bandwidth (4-stacks can be well over 1TB/s total).

The drawback is cost, which is broken down into real component cost, total supply capacity, packaging cost, and test/yield concerns with finished assemblies.

A lot of those challenges may be overcome by the time we see half-step consoles in 3-4 years.

How simple of a matter would it be to go from GDDR6 in PS5 and XSX to HBM4 or 5 in the mid-gen machines? I seem to recall Microsoft saying something about considering HBM for the X1X but having issues with it, though I might be wrong.

YoungGunsII

Banned
Apr 23, 2019
Denmark
So I guess today's the last day for the speculation threads. That's it. We going home!

tumblr_pgtm13AbBE1w8r6ka_640.gif

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
OFFTOPIC !!

time stamp 7.30min

Moore law estimate the RAYTRACING performance of XSEX is roughly on par with 2080ti (almost 30% better).

If PS5 uses the same tech then the same goes for PS5..

cc: Colbert DrKeo modiz III-V

Don't think so. It is 12TF for normal shaders and 13 TF fixed function for BHV traversal calculation. While the first one is FP32 I don't know what format the 13 TF is based on.

Dictator Do you know that?

edit:
And sorry wrong thread. Was just answering ...

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
How simple of a matter would it be to go from GDDR6 in PS5 and XSX to HBM4 or 5 in the mid-gen machines? I seem to recall Microsoft saying something about considering HBM for the X1X but having issues with it, though I might be wrong.
Remember that Microsoft transitioned from DDR4 to GDDR6 in the same gen (and got rid of ESRAM to boot).

They said it had granularity access issues, which I've not seen anyone be able to explain, including very knowledgeable technical people.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
So this is it...i almost can't believe we gonna get officially full specs in 4 hours!

Time to get excited! 😃

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Don't think so. It is 12TF for normal shaders and 13 TF fixed function for BHV traversal calculation. While the first one is FP32 I don't know what format the 13 TF is based on.

Dictator Do you know that?

edit:
And sorry wrong thread. Was just answering ...
The 13tf bit for RT just means "if we did not use fixed function hardware the cost of aabb traversal and triangle intersection texting would take up 13TF of normal GPU shaders".

Nothing out of the ordinary. Just the purpose of the fixed function hardware doing what it is supposed to do.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The 13tf bit for RT just means "if we did not use fixed function hardware the cost of aabb traversal and triangle intersection texting would take up 13TF of normal GPU shaders".

Nothing out of the ordinary. Just the purpose of the fixed function hardware doing what it is supposed to do.
Thanks. I wished MS would not have put out that number, tbh.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Just for fun. I think the console will look similar to the V Dev Kit but smaller and more refined of course, but still bigger than the Pro.

Specs.

CPU: Zen 2 - 8 Core - 16 Thread @ 3.6GHz
GPU: Navi RDNA 2 - 11TF
Memory: 16GB GDDR6 - 3.5GB reserved for the OS.
SSD: Custom NVMe 1TB - up to 5GB/s read speed. Will also have an expansion slot.
4K UHD blu-ray Drive.

Anything more will be a bonus, and if it's a little less, well it will still be an awesome console.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Going all in

Monolithic Die: ~22.4 x ~14.1 mm on 7NP
2 SE, 4 SA, each SA has 12 CU
CPU: 8c16t Zen 2 at 3.6 GHz
GPU: 11.83 TFLOPs, 44 CUs at 2.1* GHz, Custom RDNA 2
Memory: 16GB at 530GB/s (detuned 18 Gbps modules)
Storage: 1TB Custom SSD with Sony patent features

* may be 2.0 GHz

Last edited:

ArabianPrynce

Jun 1, 2019
The PS5 (and the XSX obviously) won't feel outmatched throughout this entire gen unlike any gen before.
They are so pwoerful and since diminishing returns is a thing now, CGI quality will be reached and it will be hard to surpass the quality even with much higher hardwares. It's not like this gen where consoels have low settings for shadows that are pixelated and horrendous while PC can go to max settings. This time, for example a game is Native 4K 60 FPS with RT on consoles, a stronger PC will play that same game with same settings at 5K and 75 FPS. Does thios represent too much difference for you ?
If not then get a next-gen console, it will be much more affordable. You can wait for enxt year or 2 years to get PC with a GPU with multiGPU tech which will be a much better investment to get than a PC from this year which won't offer much better over consoles.

Edit:

I saw your planend build. Sorry, not worth at all. If you want a PC, wait a year or 2 to be good.

Exactly. And if PS5 GPU is 13.3 Tflops RDNA 2.0 then it gonna be around RTX 2080TI or even higher. And he gonna get a HDD instead while PS5 SSD alone is another story. So yeah not worth it at all.

He could wait for Zen3 and even Hopper multiGPU from NVidia or similar from ATI (RDNA 3.0 maybe), a much better investment than what he plans to do or what is going to happen this year.

Exactly.

thank y'all for the feedback I really appreciate it

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
I didn't expect this but I'm starting to feel a little anxiety over being let down today. I know it's not rational. Anyone else feeling this way?

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I would wait and see. 2021 will bring a lot of new stuff to PC.

You think so? The only thing I'm not sure about right now is whether I should get a XsX or upgrade my PC (PS5 is a given). I'm really itching to play the new MS Flight Simulator. I'd think Nvidia would be real agressive with price vs performance this year since it's a new gen year that's powered by AMD. If MSFS is delayed until 2021 I could wait. So happy I didn't upgrade my 2500k in anticipation for Star Citizen in 2017.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The real next gen speculation were the friends we made along the way.

Also Colbert, I mostly lurk the thread, but I saw your amazing cheesecakes. Do you mind PMing me the recipes? I'm shut in so I wanted to do some baking.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
Now that we're so close to the reveal, I just hope they're as close as they can to each other in terms of specs. I'm buying both and I just want devs to be able to target as high as a baseline as possible. If there is a difference, I hope it's limited to the GPU side, with the CPU's being almost identical and ram amounts as close as possible.

Whatever happens, I think a lot of us wouldn't have expected to be talking about the possibility of getting 10-13tf RDNA consoles 2 years ago with the possibility of ray tracing; and combined with the incredible increase in CPU power, we are in for a great console generation.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
You think so? The only thing I'm not sure about right now is whether I should get a XsX or upgrade my PC (PS5 is a given). I'm really itching to play the new MS Flight Simulator. I'd think Nvidia would be real agressive with price vs performance this year since it's a new gen year that's powered by AMD. If MSFS is delayed until 2021 I could wait. So happy I didn't upgrade my 2500k in anticipation for Star Citizen in 2017.
AMD is dropping Zen 3 next year, that'll be a big boost. GPUs will get a lot better next year too.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
How many of you think MS got word of Sony's reveal today and decided to reveal their specs Monday to undercut them?
Ya, MS had advanced knowledge that Sony would eventually sometime HAVE to release details about their console so they flew DF to their campus and put together everything in a week so they could "beat them" to announcing specs of their console by 2 days

Status
Not open for further replies.