• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony had better be at least very close to this, or I might be jumping ship. Or rather, I might get be getting both (still need my Sony 1st party games) instead of going all in on the PS5. Impressive stuff, and Sony's silence isn't looking great right now.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Gotta wonder if today's dump from MS was precipitated by an upcoming PS5 reveal that might be closer than some think...

I mean, there's weeks worth of reveals right there, all dumped at the same time, which I find sort of "weird" in a build-the-hype marketing technique way.

In any case, really looking forward to the PS5 reveal, whether it's a slightly under or all ghtly over.
We're getting a beast anyways, with hardware RT and more :)
I don't know why splitting specs reveals should even be considered as building up hype. Its just annoying if you ask me and why I also agree that at this point sony better just spill it all or say nothing at all. That's the price you pay for talking second, whatever you say and however you say it has to at least be as good as what your competition did.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly... I have just decided to ignore people talking like that.

A 360mm2 chip isn't out of the question at all and isn't the hardest thing to match. It also falls in line with what sony did in 2013. Sony could even use a slightly smaller chip and still end up matching it or being more powerful by using a smaller memory bus. Or could clock their CPU lower and their GPU higher.

Sony could very well end up with a 48CU GPU clocked at 2GHz, with a smaller 256bit bus and a lower clocked CPU and end up being more powerful than the XSX while having a smaller chip.

Like there are so many possibilities.

Its strange - up until this point with all the random speculation I got caught up in the high price, exotic components stuff. But looking at real specs written down, it really doesn't seem anything special.

and by that - before you bite my head off - I mean it looks *amazing* but a brand new console should. Last gen we had standard HDD, async compute, and 8GB of ram to drool over. This time its RT and SSD. Same thing, different technology landscape.

Still probably $499 (I could almost see it being less, but ram and NAND prices probably make that unlikely now)

Nayeon

Oct 29, 2017
What? No. I mean they cost pennies to manufacture - especially for Sony as it's their format.
I know what you meant, don't worry. It's still just boggling to me how you get to such a cost for something that's so cheap. Margins must be going through the roof. It's not even that logistics cost that much since it's being delivered in bulks anyway.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Series X is looking mighty fine, and if I had any legacy xbox games (for any of the consoles) it would be a mighty tempting purchase.

If sony pulls off BC though i'd be willing to accept a bit less power as I have a massive playstation library.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
So given that the Series X utilizes a NVME SSD and has read speeds of 2.4 GB/s (4.8 compressed), what specifically would Sony need to do to achieve ~5 GB/s read speeds on the PS5?

If we presume Sony has a faster NVME SSD, does that mean they could be utilizing PCIe 4.0 rather than 3.0?

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So given that the Series X utilizes a NVME SSD and has read speeds of 2.4 GB/s (4.8 compressed), what specifically would Sony need to do to achieve ~5 GB/s read speeds on the PS5?

If we presume Sony has a faster NVME SSD, does that mean they could be utilizing PCIe 4.0 rather than 3.0?
They are both using pcie4.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
With Microsoft revealing the final specs, I wonder how Sony will play it now ?

It will definitely give them a better idea how to play their next move, depending on how powerful PS5 really is.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
The pinnacle of the 2D era sure has aged better than the beginning of the 3D one, IMO. If you offered me either a PS1 or Saturn with a bunch of games, I'd take the Saturn in a heartbeat.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
Sony had better be at least very close to this, or I might be jumping ship. Or rather, I might get be getting both (still need my Sony 1st party games) instead of going all in on the PS5. Impressive stuff, and Sony's silence isn't looking great right now.

You cant jump ship before the other boat is even in the water.
i've seen a lot of posts about how this is costing sony business. what are those people spending their ps5 money on right now?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Looking at the metrics for this new Xbox Series X news... Seems like it didnt get as much traction as I expected, the most traction they got is making the fridge meme, now whether that is down to coronavirus decreasing excitement or just that consumers dont need to know much more than what was already know i am not sure. But it does tell me that Sony can probably wait now, the excitement isnt that strong at this moment, as we approach late spring/summer anticipation will increase again and that is when Sony will probably talk. But as I said before, next time sony will talk, they have to nail it, and they have to show a lot, no more drip feed stuff (unless if its tomorrow at which case i am grateful you saved me from transistor's avatars)

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Looking at the metrics for this new Xbox Series X news... Seems like it didnt get as much traction as I expected, the most traction they got is making the fridge meme, now whether that is down to coronavirus decreasing excitement or just that consumers dont need to know much more than what was already know i am not sure. But it does tell me that Sony can probably wait now, the excitement isnt that strong at this moment, as we approach late spring/summer anticipation will increase again and that is when Sony will probably talk. But as I said before, next time sony will talk, they have to nail it, and they have to show a lot, no more drip feed stuff (unless if its tomorrow at which case i am grateful you saved me from transistor's avatars)

To be fair, the coronavirus is kinda #1 on most people's minds. Not much is gonna make an impact when your worried your country will do a full lockdown.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
To be fair, the coronavirus is kinda #1 on most people's minds. Not much is gonna make an impact when your worried your country will do a full lockdown.
there was debate here in the last few days on whether coronavirus will help traction of something like this (more people on the internet) or slow it down. From what I am seeing, it definitely seemed to have slowed it down rather than help it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

I'm in on PS5 day one anyway for first party. This clearly cements my day 1 for XSX too - if I'm strong I can buy just the console and live off gamepass

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

What metrics are you using? Austin Evans' video on the Series X was posted a few hours ago and has 330k views currently. Digital Foundry has posted 2 Series X videos this morning and both have over 100k views.

I think reaching out to hardware focused Youtubers was a good move on Microsoft's part.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
there was debate here in the last few days on whether coronavirus will help traction of something like this (more people on the internet) or slow it down. From what I am seeing, it definitely seemed to have slowed it down rather than help it.

Honestly with all that is happening around the world there is definitely a point in thinking that right now it's better talk about games people can play soon on the devices that they have rather than something that will come in 6 months.

Only time will tell what was the right decision.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I checked twitter two hours ago it seemed to peak at 14 on the worldwide trends. Checking now it is gone, currently virus, sports and cats.

The virus has definitely slowed down hype for next gen while this situation continues.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They will target an event for mainstream media, not a geeky stuff.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
When I checked twitter two hours ago it seemed to peak at 14 on the worldwide trends. Checking now it is gone, currently virus, sports and cats.

The virus has definitely slowed down hype for next gen while this situation continues.

All I got trending on my twitter (Canada) is coronavirus, COVID-19 in Ontario and Toronto, and the Texans for some reason.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Man corona is draining all my excitement for PS5, I am doing okay financially but so many of my friends are fucked...

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
What metrics are you using? Austin Evans' video on the Series X was posted a few hours ago and has 330k views currently. Digital Foundry has posted 2 Series X videos this morning and both have over 100k views.

I think reaching out to hardware focused Youtubers was a good move on Microsoft's part.
It's all combined <1m views. It's nerd stuff.
No comparison to the metrics of a next gen game trailer or even a shared console logo.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017

Of course, general public has the mind elsewhere and chances to make a splash on mainstream websites/magazines are slim.
This is an announcement just for hardcore gamers and fans reading news about games every day no matter what, a limited target.
I think that Sony is waiting for a better period and for something more global reaching a wider target. I'd be surprised if they announced something before the next fiscal year in April unless they simply decide to drop some specs in an other Wired article but I don't think that's the plan.
They want to showcase games as well and also according to Jim Ryan there are some key unannounced features they're trying to hide as long as possible.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I think this is more down to it being Xbox news than anything else. I expect that it's getting as much traction as it was going to get and it would become less or more relevant after sony makes their own reveal.

I feel it's easy to forget or even underestimate just how much bigger of a global brand Playstation is.

Status
Not open for further replies.