• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I have to say this, regardless of specs (9.2 or 13.3) the most important thing is that Sony matches the software capabilities of the Xbox Series X with the PS5. I honestly feel like the PS5 needs to be able to play PS4 games better as well as have many enhanced titles outside of just their first party output and late gen games. Sony should also be doing the same free patches with first party games even from the disks with no update charges or anything else.

If Sony fails to get backwards compatibility of PS4 games to be equal to what has been promised (and shown) with Xbox One games on Series X, then they are going to have some serious issues with the general consumer for the first couple years (when backwards compatibility is most important). Games need to automatically play better and there should be a wide array of enhanced games at launch

The games are everything, especially for the first couple years of a console, and if Series X not only plays non-enhanced games better but also has a wide array of enhanced games ready to go at launch while the PS5 only has a few enhanced games and games play only marginally better (again, as Github and patents have shown) then the general populous may just flock over to the Xbox side of things

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I have a feeling that Sony will go with 20gb total with 4gb being ddr4.
I have also thought so too, but now I doubt that. Notice the XSX i using even less RAM for their OS, which has to be a perk of having an SSD.

And PS5 is supposedly having an even better SSD and generally, thePS5 OS does less than what an xbox OS does s I expect their OS reserve to be even smaller.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
So only PS5 controller will have haptic triggers? I thought xbox controller would also have that

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
The only thing showing PS5 being weak is github and that has info people just running with without understanding stuff and Matt saying it not full story .
All the other info we get is they are close so it don't matter who weaker and few saying PS more power but it won't matter since it small.
Yup. Every piece of info/rumor we had prior to GitHub had PS5 being the stronger of the two next-gen systems. The only point of "rumor/speculation" that had the opposite was GitHub, and now look at it.

Son_of_Oden

Feb 27, 2020
It is a sin to obscure the RGBs. The gods demand offerings of light.
Fortunately that's just green plastics and no LEDs.

That isn't an xbox problem. 😋
Touché!
Class action suit for burned down houses... :P

What's a "game case"?

I haven't bought physical since the launch of the PS4 and Xbox One
I like to get physical...physical...

There's actually a little slot on the side that will still push out atleast some heat.
Yeah, I've seen that in another video after posting this. The general insides of the XSX gives the engineer in me a hard on...

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
The only thing showing PS5 being weak is github and that has info people just running with without understanding stuff and Matt saying it not full story .
All the other info we get is they are close so it don't matter who weaker and few saying PS more power but it won't matter since it small.

Essentially what people are doing (and have been in waves each time new XSX info releases) is:

MS: shows their cards
Sony: still deciding which cards to play

"Aha! Obviously Sony doesn't have a winning hand!" Like on what planet does that make any kind of sense? Luckily that kind of stuff is being moved over to the other thread.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i have so many gifs i can post after reading that thread title but im afraid i will get banned lol.

final thoughts on xbox series x before we move on to the ps5. my 12 tflops prediction was right on the nose but i guess i didnt see ms going with clocks that high and ram that low. especially with an apu that big. i guess their rt hardware really does take a lot of space on the die or they went with a full zen 2 cpu? i doubt that. there is no way they would be running it at 3.6 ghz with a full fat zen2.

doesnt matter. the full feature set is incredible. built in hdr and native 4k support is amazing. 13 tflops ray tracing is amazing. thanks for the tag sekiro lol. no offense to DF and dictator especially but it turns out consoles can have amazing rt after all. their 2.5gbps ssd can do up to 6gbps when paired up with ram which means sony's faster solution could possibly go up to 10 gbps. crazy stuff.

overall, i am blown away by the console. MS really thought of everything. input lag, enhanced BC, system resume... on specs alone, this will get a 10 out of 10 but the feature set is whats truly amazing. i hope MS gets all the success it deserves with the series x. they have earned it.

last but not least, DF delivered. just wow. amazing coverage. i know MS has a lot to do with this, but after that awful wired article short of detail, it's obvious DF is the only source that can truly showcase the ins and outs of a console.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Sony is going to announce something soon.

Wasn't there a Rumour that Sony is going to have an event this month?

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Holy shit, 8c/16t 3.8ghz.. thats amazing.

This is gonna be the biggest improvement in power ever between console generation

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Glad the threads are split.

With the XsX chip revealed I wonder if Sony was able to delevop a method to disable CUs in real-time for BC or will they go with 3 SEs.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Holy shit, 8c/16t 3.8ghz.. thats amazing.

This is gonna be the biggest improvement in power ever between console generation
its 16 threads @ 3.6ghz, if you disable smt and only use 8 core 8 threads you can increase the clock to 3.8ghz, they gave the devs options to choose between the 2 settings.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony is within spitting distance of XSX, next gen is going to be insane. Only disappointment is the weird split bandwidth configuration. I was hoping for 16GB GDDR6 and maybe 4GB of some slower DDR4.

Time to spill the beans Sony!

Ashler

Oct 27, 2017
At least Sony has the advantage of knowing exactly what their competitor has on offer and can tailor their response accordingly.
Sony cannot afford to wait until Xbox shows their hand before deciding what they'll do. Sony has to have their console specs locked down by now, other wise it will be a PS3 scenario all over again.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
So remember back when Rory for Giantbomb clearly said "fifth" when talking about a PS5 reveal and then Jeff had a hissy fit about it? Was Rory maybe referring to this Series X demonstration with DF? DF mentioned it happened in early March.

Just something that came to mind.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
no offense to DF and dictator especially but it turns out consoles can have amazing rt after all.
We still have actually yet to see the performance implication of utilising it for various types of effects. It is rocking that it actually is not like Pascal or GCN. It is rocking that XSX can at all run minecraft DXR. Pascal or GCN just cannot do that at all.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
At least Sony has the advantage of knowing exactly what their competitor has on offer and can tailor their response accordingly.
Kind of... I still believe that they're still on their own timeline and none of what Xbox is doing matters to them (spec/hardware wise).
The only part where I believe they might wait a bit on, is price.

et3rn1tyGR

Feb 20, 2020
anyone find it curious that ms insistent on the locked clocks? do they know something about ps5 clocks and want to be ahead of the talk?

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously hope the PS5 does it's SSD way different than the XBSX is doing. Having to buy a proprietary memory card fucking sucks.

Jayembi

Jun 19, 2019
I have to say this, regardless of specs (9.2 or 13.3) the most important thing is that Sony matches the software capabilities of the Xbox Series X with the PS5. I honestly feel like the PS5 needs to be able to play PS4 games better as well as have many enhanced titles outside of just their first party output and late gen games. Sony should also be doing the same free patches with first party games even from the disks with no update charges or anything else.

If Sony fails to get backwards compatibility of PS4 games to be equal to what has been promised (and shown) with Xbox One games on Series X, then they are going to have some serious issues with the general consumer for the first couple years (when backwards compatibility is most important). Games need to automatically play better and there should be a wide array of enhanced games at launch

The games are everything, especially for the first couple years of a console, and if Series X not only plays non-enhanced games better but also has a wide array of enhanced games ready to go at launch while the PS5 only has a few enhanced games and games play only marginally better (again, as Github and patents have shown) then the general populous may just flock over to the Xbox side of things

I don't understand your logic. Assuming that each console user has PS4 and X1 (when we can assume that the percentage of users who have 2 consoles or more is low) there are 60 million PS4 users who didn't buy the X1, therefore, how would they go to a platform for play games of this generation if they don't have them?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
The Xbox Series X is the biggest generational leap of SoC and API design that we've done with Microsoft, and it's an honor for AMD to partner with Microsoft for this endeavor. The Xbox Series X is going to be a beacon of technical innovation leadership for this console generation and will propagate the innovation throughout the DirectX ecosystem this year and into next year. It is a privilege to be Microsoft's trusted partner, and we look forward to a successful launch this holiday season!​

community.amd.com

Microsoft & AMD Supercharge Console Gaming with the Xbox Series X

I am excited to share some of the details that Microsoft announced today on Xbox® Series X, and how it is built upon the partnership with the team at AMD. Together, we have relentlessly pushed the innovation boundaries of gaming devices for the last 15 years. Today, AMD and Microsoft are...

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I can't see Sony toying with memory either. But maybe because of that it will be slower overall.
MS is using the main chip for OS. Will PS5 will do the same or keep an other ship for that?
It will be the same thing that they are doing now and like MSis doing and has also always done. Makes no sense having another chip doing that an not worth the extra costs. Same way how it also makes no sense having some external pool of DDR4 ram either when you have a bleeding fast SSD.

1 CPU core would be reserved for OS.

The memory thing though is interesting. If sony goes with 8 2GB GDDR6 chis in a 256bit bus and is using 16Gbs chips, they have a total system bandwidth of 512GB/s. That's lower than the peak bandwidth of the series X but that peak bandwidth only applies to 10GB of its RAM.

Funny thing is that the XSX has a bandwidth average of around 448GB/s across its two pools of unified RAM.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
or anything they reveal now will come off as me too.

hdr support for ps2 games released in 2001? me too.
4k upscaling at a system level? me too
full path traced hardware rt? system resume? virtual ram?

a delayed response not matter how tailored will simply not have the same effect. lets hope the console is more powerful because the moment they reveal the tflops number and if it comes under the series x, everyone's going to mentally check out the rest of the video. everything else they reveal will be colored by that tflops number.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

a delayed response not matter how tailored will simply not have the same effect. lets hope the console is more powerful because the moment they reveal the tflops number and if it comes under the series x, everyone's going to mentally check out the rest of the video. everything else they reveal will be colored by that tflops number.

i just hope they introduce games off the bat, i'm not too interested in the tech beyond the basics of what it actually delivers.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

Jim Ryan touted a bunch of cool features that hasn't been revealed yet. Time to put up.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
haptic triggers? I may be mistaken but Xbox have these since the launch of the OG machine in 2013?? ( I could be completely wrong here tho)

its more like rumble triggers on the xbox, which are great for games like forza and shooters. from what ive about the ds5 its more than just rumble, it can give you different resistance. Like pulling back the bow string in horizon zero dawn

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
its more like rumble triggers on the xbox, which are great for games like forza and shooters. from what ive about the ds5 its more than just rumble, it can give you different resistance. Like pulling back the bow string in horizon zero dawn

ahhh I see! Thanks for clarifying.

if that's what they are going for and games utilise it to the fullest, then it could be absolutely awesome!

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I seriously hope the PS5 does it's SSD way different than the XBSX is doing. Having to buy a proprietary memory card fucking sucks.
Sorry to break it to you but it would be identical (or similar). The thing is they don't have a choice, they never did actually.

As for the console, it's cheaper to build it if you are embedding your SSD directly onto the MB. And the second you do that, the only way you can have user-upgradeable storage is if you go the proprietary route as you would want to ensure that said external storage works like the internal SSD in your system. You can't just let people going and buying whatever SSD they want to use as that would create compatibility issues.

On the flip side, you don't even need to buy any proprietary SSD if you are ok just using a standard external HDD as a backup drive. Faster copying stuff from external HDD to internal SSD than redownloading or installing from disk again.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think Sony will follow in line with MS doing these piecemeal surprise info dumps or will they go the "an announcement of an announcement" route for a full blowout?

Logan Hardy

Dec 26, 2018
Klee did say xsx is above 12 tf graphical computation and now it's confirmed to be 12.155 to be precise. #kleeisredeemed GET READY FOR A 13 TF MONSTER 😅😅😎😎

Status
Not open for further replies.