• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
GitHub showed 56 active CUs. People extrapolated and believed the chip to be 56/60 CU at 1.75 GHz, which gives you 12 TF.

Let's not start with revisionist history please.
Well, it has to get started sometime.

No time like the present....

Sony, can you please. Kudos to MS tho. Getting brownie points for next gen news.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that will force Sony's hand for sure, their competitor just basically revealed the full product. You can't just ignore that for months and months.
Maybe, let us remember Sony still has new PS4 games releasing April, May and June! Microsoft is ready to move on after the Ori release.

I can see Sony show something after FFVII.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
So MS managed to have hardware data decompression.
The question now is, does Cerny implied speed wasn't available on PC at that time because he took the speed from decompression (6Gb/s for MS from a 2.5 disk)?
If not and implied ex4 disk, we are talking at what, 10Gb/s from a 4.5 disk?
That would be something.

Well done MS, I am not one of your customer in gaming, but it seems to be a really impressive device.
But the tower design is a killer for me.
Obviously it would be terrible PR for Sony to reveal anything now during a pandemic, or so I was told on this forum. /s
Yep. And Nintendo just announced an indie direct. Bunch of monsters.
Insiders vindicated and GitHub turns out to be completely misinterpreted?

Colour me shocked. ;)

Since this Tommy F guy completely accurately predicted the XSX specs, does this mean we might be getting a 13.3TF PS5?!?!

12.1 and 13.3 also line up with all previous rumours.
The fake DS5 is weird but otherwise yes. I still believe insiders so around 10% faster or slower, it doesn't matter, but it won't be under 10 TF.
GitHub showed 56 active CUs. People extrapolated and believed the chip to be 56/60 CU at 1.75 GHz, which gives you 12 TF.

Let's not start with revisionist history please.
There will be a lot of revisionist history, already happened because of RDNA 2.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Just saw the news, nice. The RAM config looks a bit weird, I hope the SSD will help with that. But the rest seems really great. Also surprised that they will use XSX for xCloud, I wonder what this means for Lockhart.

Hopefully Sony will reveal their stuff soon. We need more good news in these times!
I talked to someone at length about this a while ago on here. I expected something like this. I basically said that you can't have different sized RAM chips and not have different bandwidths too. So there would be a faster pool and a slower pool and the slower pool would most likely house the OS and CPU tasks.

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
Well, that will force Sony's hand for sure, their competitor just basically revealed the full product. You can't just ignore that for months and months.
Until MS announces price and pre-orders open Sony doesn't have to do shit. It might make them throw a few bones but they won't alter any grand plans off the back of this I'm sure.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
MS is killing it.

I love the messaging thus far on the console. They have shown their hand and are getting on with it.

TLT GAMING

Apr 9, 2018
I mean...this thing is going to be pricey right? People also expect the PS5 to still be a tad better...how much is that going to cost.

Still....beasty system the XSX is.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
It's insane given the info MS released, and everything Klee and other insiders said, that anyone will continue to bat for Github.

It listed 56CUs for Arden. There's literally no reason for testing to include deactivated CUs. It's done.

please stop mentioning that coward he just threw a blind dart hoping to hit the right numbers and quit the site because he didn't want to face the eventual backlash. There are very very few people worldwide that would know the final specs of from BOTH companies.
You're embarrassing yourself.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
32 CU at 2.0Ghz is 8.1TF

WE'RE BACK AT 8TF PS5 GUYS. They were right all along..,

It does match the NovaMonbasa reddit leak from January 2019..
It also called a 12TF Series X with 1TB storage, cross-gen Halo Infinite at launch, and Microsoft attempting to acquire Platinum. That's some pretty damn good guesses if they were made up, but who would be privy to all of that information?

I do see Github's credibility harmed by this reveal though.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
A few observations on this. Just speculation, mind.

1. MS have stated they wanted to go big and bold this time. The XSX is as big as it is solely because of it's massive specs. They are acting like they decided to throw out the size/power compromise and instructed designers to focus on power, then just make a bigger box.
2. Since the One X, MS have been better than Sony at squeezing power into smaller boxes. The PS4 Pro was terrible from an industrial design point of view.
3. If Sony had a more powerful box coming, I am not confident they'd be able to make it smaller. So it's either going to be EVEN BIGGER than XSX or less powerful. I just can't see Sony going for a design that will be that big as they are masters of the compromise (power/cost/size).

That leads me to believe that they'll have a smaller, less powerful box that will be a chunk cheaper and then double down on their fantastic 1st party strength.
Have you seen the XSX dev kit? Have you also seen the amount of empty space in that XSX build?

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If both systems get delayed into 2021 Sony are probably in the best position since they've not really revealed anything.
It also has a lower bom compared to xbone sx according to zhugex

couldn't they have simply sourced their components cheaper resulting in a lower bom? i imagine being market leaders by a long margin and almost consistently selling 100+ million consoles every gen probably gives you +1 in your bartering skill compared to other manufacturers with less than stellar sales history.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019

Colour me shocked. ;)

Since this Tommy F guy completely accurately predicted the XSX specs, does this mean we might be getting a 13.3TF PS5?!?!

I still think the PS5 will be about 11.5 TF's, which is more than fine to me.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Product Marketing

I wonder when they'll start their big campaign. I'm a bit surprised that they haven't said much yet, since they started last year already with the Wired articles.

Sony has said plenty when you line up all of the information they have given on a sheet of paper. What people are craving right now are the technical specs, which I totally get, but Sony has a very clearly mapped out marketing plan and we will be getting those specs when they are good and ready to announce them. Sony announced that they would be "hunkering down" months ago and people seem to be acting surprised that Sony is hunkered down right now, even though that's what they said they would be doing.

Saying nothing to the greater market right now is a perfectly valid strategy, as is Microsoft's very aggressive strategy of blasting out a good portion of their messaging right now. Console launches are a marathon however, not a sprint, and which strategy was the right one will not really be able to be determined until a year+ into the next console gen.

Until then, everyone just needs to be patient, even if you are going a bit crazy at home in self-isolation :)

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
A few observations on this. Just speculation, mind.

1. MS have stated they wanted to go big and bold this time. The XSX is as big as it is solely because of it's massive specs. They are acting like they decided to throw out the size/power compromise and instructed designers to focus on power, then just make a bigger box.
2. Since the One X, MS have been better than Sony at squeezing power into smaller boxes. The PS4 Pro was terrible from an industrial design point of view.
3. If Sony had a more powerful box coming, I am not confident they'd be able to make it smaller. So it's either going to be EVEN BIGGER than XSX or less powerful. I just can't see Sony going for a design that will be that big as they are masters of the compromise (power/cost/size).

That leads me to believe that they'll have a smaller, less powerful box that will be a chunk cheaper and then double down on their fantastic 1st party strength.

Its funny but there isn't really a mystery to it...Sony targetted a lower price with pro and made what they could out of it. MS targetted a higher price. There really isn't some engineering miracle going on here. Sony weren't willing to put the dollars in for a better cooling solution. I know it is not just cash but what you do with it, but it really isn't that hard to understand.

What is interesting if the same dynamic will play out this time. Did Sony target a lower price? If not, I would expect specs to be pretty much identical. What XSX is delivering is still a linear evolution of the actual tech. That is not to say their design isn't clever, certainly the bulk gives them more leeway for cooling than the more typical console design would.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
It also called a 12TF Series X with 1TB storage, cross-gen Halo Infinite at launch, and Microsoft attempting to acquire Platinum. That's some pretty damn good guesses if they were made up, but who would be privy to all of that information?

Keep in mind that he could've had legit Xbox info while making up the PS5 stuff, or getting early but inaccurate Github info. What it comes down to is that the insiders who have actually put their names and reputations to their information all point to both consoles being about the same.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
So what does that mean in your mind? Does that question the credibility of the data shown or just shows we were wrong about the relevance of the data?
Just a reminder for people claiming it was accurate for the XSX. It wasn't. It may have been accurate at the time, or had all 56 CU enabled in the dev kit. No idea why some people get all salty.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Pretty solid all round console. Shame it won't fit in my setup.

That and the wife has forbidden it due to it being ugly haha.

I hope to god the ps5 looks normal

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Dark1x loved the hardware discussion you and rich did. Looking forward to the future content you guys have planned. Quick question if you don't mind. Did you or rich get a chance to listen to the consoles acoustics? The grill design isn't the most airflow friendly, lots of plastic between holes and I'm curious if it has a bit of a whistle or turbulence sound.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
no. Come on people, be reasonable. I am not going to just say "it performs like this, expect 37 fps in Minecraft DXR at 1080p". I cannot know those things, and won't until we have games to compare.
A straight up RT comp can be mused about of course, but there is no way I or anyone outside of a dev running tests would have exact direct comparisons.
Are you sure you haven't made a mistake with the 12.155 TFLOPS number in the video ? It should be 12.147 TFLOPS : 52*128*1825

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil

Colour me shocked. ;)

How shocking, right?

I know I'm absolutely stunned, incredibly shocked by all this. I mean, how could such a thing happen? Who could have predicted this?

I mean, how could anyone have predicted that an out of context fragment of internal AMD data, leaked by a clueless intern who went and posted it on his personal repository, could be wrong? It's madness. On what people will believe now? Strange times.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Sony has said plenty when you line up all of the information they have given on a sheet of paper. What people are craving right now are the technical specs, which I totally get, but Sony has a very clearly mapped out marketing plan and we will be getting those specs when they are good and ready to announce them. Sony announced that they would be "hunkering down" months ago and people seem to be acting surprised that Sony is hunkered down right now, even though that's what they said they would be doing.

Saying nothing to the greater market right now is a perfectly valid strategy, as is Microsoft's very aggressive strategy of blasting out a good portion of their messaging right now. Console launches are a marathon however, not a sprint, and which strategy was the right one will not really be able to be determined until a year+ into the next console gen.

Until then, everyone just needs to be patient, even if you are going a bit crazy at home in self-isolation :)
It is a good try (and 100% agree) but you won't convinced people here.
We all know why MS keep talking about specs rather than new games, and we all know SONY won't introduced a new hardware without showing new games.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019

I must have missed Sony's "hunkering down" remark. Did they say this before or after the "more info in the coming months" statement?

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
They've confirmed normal external HDDs will work, so you can just use those and put up with some initial transfer times.

That's not what DF said. You can only run older games from an external hard drive. Next-gen games can't. In that case the external USB option would only work as backup storage.

Edit: wait, is that what you meant by transfer times?

Civzy

Mar 21, 2019
I'm really curious to see how developers take advantage of the SMT-ON/OFF feature with XSX. Having an additional CPU core to work with, in return of a very slightly underclock, might be an interesting dynamic to explore when making physics/simulation-based games.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

Ahhh...right. 56 out of 56 active could have been a possibility.
Honestly, there is and has always been so may holes with that GitHub nonsense. And some of us here have called that stuff out for months.

And how some or anyone right now in their right mind can still believe that a PS5 console ship with 36CU is beyond me.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
That's not what DF said. You can only run older games from an external hard drive. Next-gen games can't. In that case the external USB option would only work as backup storage.

Edit: wait, is that what you meant by transfer times?

Yes. They sit there as backup and would need to transfer to the SSD. A slower, but much cheaper option. Hopefully they facilitate it by letting you begin playing with only some of the data - Cerny has discussed that for PS5, thigh it was more in the context of downloading or transferring an initial purchase.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Wow! I was lead to believe we were getting 3.2 or 3.4 cpu speed. That 3.8(3.66) sure is a nice surprise.

Can someone explain the reasoning for the ram speed?

Can't believe the time has come to split the thread. 😦

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
Damn Tommy Fisher completely nailed the Xbox Series X specs. He said 52CU at 1.82GHz

This can't be a coincidence right ?

That's extremely specific if you ask me.

Nachtmaer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually impressed by these specs, even if the mixed memory density and speed seems messy. The fact they managed to cram all of that into a 360mm² die, at those frequencies, is pretty neat. I honestly expected something around the 3.2-3.4GHz range for the CPU and 1600-1700MHz for the GPU, but I guess it's been obvious for a while now that MS said fuck TDP and go big or go home.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Also Die size smaller than numbers people being were saying about here.
Not smaller than what everyone was saying :D Myself and Expy used the barcode on the chip to scale vs the one x and agreed both chips were very similar in size. My own images showed comparable aspects when others coming out with 400-410mm² had the same features over-sized by 1/8th.

Status
Not open for further replies.