• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
please stop mentioning that coward he just threw a blind dart hoping to hit the right numbers and quit the site because he didn't want to face the eventual backlash. There are very very few people worldwide that would know the final specs of from BOTH companies.

Doesn't change the fact that he hasn't been wrong when it comes to specs.

CrazyNomad

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
Xbox Series X Storage Expansion Card
– Built in partnership with Seagate, this 1 TB custom storage solution expands storage capacity of Xbox Series X with the full speed and performance of the Xbox Velocity Architecture Previous generation Xbox titles can still be played directly from external USB 3.2 hard drives. However, to receive all the benefits of the Xbox Velocity Architecture and optimal performance, Xbox Series X, optimized games should be played from the internal SSD or Xbox Series X Storage Expansion Card.

so, games designed for xbox series X must be played using the internal SSD or the storage expansion card.

so yeah, xbox one wont hold back xbox series X games.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Just an aside about GitHub spec: it was pointing at 56 active compute units for Arden, and we know that is not accurate.
Well, if it is anything like x1x, dev kits are a bit different. I do not know that though.
Yes, isn't this why non-RTX Turing cards are much better with raytracing than Pascal cards?
Yeah that and a couple other reasons I believe, a really usable async compute helps as well for the BVH in a number of games that run it async.

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
Can we talk Raytracing? According to DF article..

Without hardware acceleration, this work could have been done in the shaders, but would have consumed over 13 TFLOPs alone," says Andrew Goossen. "For the Series X, this work is offloaded onto dedicated hardware and the shader can continue to run in parallel with full performance. In other words, Series X can effectively tap the equivalent of well over 25 TFLOPs of performance while ray tracing."

This sounds quite capable in the RT department. Comparison with RTX cards?

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 100% sure that the Github was either outright fake or seriously outdated now.

If anything I expect the PS5 to be around 13tf based on previous leakers.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah given the global nature of the Playstation brand, I can't see them doing a reveal amid a truly global crisis — especially when said crisis puts their hardware, software, and marketing roadmaps in limbo. I think May/June is the absolute earliest we'll hear something, provided of course we're in a place where the rest of the industry feels comfortable going forward with their digital events.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
so, games designed for xbox series X must be played using the internal SSD or the storage expansion card.

so yeah, xbox one wont hold back xbox series X games.

Yes, it will. A game built around Xbox One will still be limited by HDD speeds. What they're referring to here is likely things like improved load times and LOD pop-in and such. It's why it's only recommended rather than required.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Yeah given the global nature of the Playstation brand, I can't see them doing a reveal amid a truly global crisis — especially when said crisis puts their hardware, software, and marketing roadmaps in limbo. I think May/June is the absolute earliest we'll here something, provided of course we're in a place where the rest of the industry feels comfortable going forward with their digital events.
soo... Microsoft can but Sony can't because of brand?

wha... ?

Oct 27, 2017
This would have been when specs would have leaked from GDC, so it's nice to see MS had planned for it and did a full info dump.

The confirmed expandable storage is great. It will be interesting to see what capacities and price points look like in future.

I'm also surprised that the CPU is so high and that the die size is smaller than many of the estimates we were seeing. It's gonna be a great machine and serve well over the life of the generation.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Can we talk Raytracing? According to DF article..

This sounds quite capable in the RT department. Comparison with RTX cards?
Think about it like this:
geforce-rtx-gtx-dxr-metro-exodus-performance.png

That middle data point shows the improvement of hardware accellerating the accelleration structure and triangle intersection on Turing. Similar on XSX hardware.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
So, what do you guys think about this kind of comunication?

I remeber justa month ago almost everyone saying that even a Direct-like event would be underwhelming for a console full reveal, are you OK with twitter posts and DF videos?

I think it's great and I think the way they've been releasing information and being transparent about everything is refreshing and awesome.

Show the console and a game for the buzz....release the high end specs and let people chew on those and speculate...now all the specs to keep the momentum going....

All the way to E3 where it's all about the games...

TheInsider

Banned
Jun 9, 2019
Amazing reveal. Have been Sony all this gen, but they can honestly just fuck off with their arrogant silence. MS, you have a sale and a convert.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
so we can compare xsx rt perf to rtx2080 level ?
no. Come on people, be reasonable. I am not going to just say "it performs like this, expect 37 fps in Minecraft DXR at 1080p". I cannot know those things, and won't until we have games to compare.
A straight up RT comp can be mused about of course, but there is no way I or anyone outside of a dev running tests would have exact direct comparisons.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Wow they released so much info, those BC enhancements and teasers were the icing on the cake. I'm glad they confirmed how the storage would work, $599 2TB Halo Infinite Special Edition Microsoft? :-)

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
Yeah given the global nature of the Playstation brand, I can't see them doing a reveal amid a truly global crisis — especially when said crisis puts their hardware, software, and marketing roadmaps in limbo. I think May/June is the absolute earliest we'll hear something, provided of course we're in a place where the rest of the industry feels comfortable going forward with their digital events.
Some countries seem to be resigning to the fact that it'll just spread and may as well let it. The US, UK, Germany, France etc. They've taken measures to slow, but not stop and various countries in that list suggest that anything from 60-80% of their population could/will get it.

They put their peaks around May so I wouldn't hold out for May!

Unless it'll be so bad everyone will be at home begging for some light at the end of the tunnel.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Insiders vindicated and GitHub turns out to be completely misinterpreted?

Colour me shocked. ;)

Since this Tommy F guy completely accurately predicted the XSX specs, does this mean we might be getting a 13.3TF PS5?!?!

12.1 and 13.3 also line up with all previous rumours.

13.3 sounds good but I would also want to know info around efficiency not just raw horsepower. Ms looks to have some really nice optimisation done

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Nah, someone asked him if one consoles was 10.6 and the other 12 and he said "no the gap is not that big". I'm expecting PS5 to be 11.6 or so.

Still on team 14 TF till the end though. :D
Hee also said PS4 was more powerful. Has a slight edge is how he put it.

Good to see we can finally put all that GitHub nonsense to rest. Unless we are saying the PS5 is a 32CU GPU (36CU with 4 disabled lol)

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
Well, that will force Sony's hand for sure, their competitor just basically revealed the full product. You can't just ignore that for months and months.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Just saw the news, nice. The RAM config looks a bit weird, I hope the SSD will help with that. But the rest seems really great. Also surprised that they will use XSX for xCloud, I wonder what this means for Lockhart.

Hopefully Sony will reveal their stuff soon. We need more good news in these times!

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Well, if it is anything like x1x, dev kits are a bit different. I do not know that though.

Yeah that and a couple other reasons I believe, a really usable async compute helps as well for the BVH in a number of games that run it async.
Lets please not forget that it was also showing 36CU or the PS5. So does that mean the PS5 actually has 32U?

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Well, that will force Sony's hand for sure, their competitor just basically revealed the full product. You can't just ignore that for months and months.

Fingers crossed.

MS have now fully unveiled the XSX other than the price.

The specs, the box, even some trailers for games.

Sony surely need to release something in a timely manner?

GrayDock

Oct 27, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I'm a PS guy and will get the PS5 at launch, whatever it's specs are, but MS is making an awesome machine. I can see me getting a XSX down the road when it's $399, because no way it'll be less than $499 at launch, and getting a game pass sub to have more game options (aka MS exclusives, some BC and 3rd games).

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
I'm 100% sure that the Github was either outright fake or seriously outdated now.

If anything I expect the PS5 to be around 13tf based on previous leakers.

A few observations on this. Just speculation, mind.

1. MS have stated they wanted to go big and bold this time. The XSX is as big as it is solely because of it's massive specs. They are acting like they decided to throw out the size/power compromise and instructed designers to focus on power, then just make a bigger box.
2. Since the One X, MS have been better than Sony at squeezing power into smaller boxes. The PS4 Pro was terrible from an industrial design point of view.
3. If Sony had a more powerful box coming, I am not confident they'd be able to make it smaller. So it's either going to be EVEN BIGGER than XSX or less powerful. I just can't see Sony going for a design that will be that big as they are masters of the compromise (power/cost/size).

That leads me to believe that they'll have a smaller, less powerful box that will be a chunk cheaper and then double down on their fantastic 1st party strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.