• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
$99 minimum for that drive - I wouldn't bet against $199

CPU is smart - option to disable SMT and get more speed makes sense if you can't fully utilise SMT. I wonder how SMT will work generally - do you get less predictable performance if you're fully saturating the physical cores?

beta

Dec 31, 2019
$99 minimum for that drive - I wouldn't bet against $199

CPU is smart - option to disable SMT and get more speed makes sense if you can't fully utilise SMT. I wonder how SMT will work generally - do you get less predictable performance if you're fully saturating the physical cores?

You should get more perf from a fully saturated SMT load then a 200mhz upclock.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Man, everything in that video was *chef's kiss*.
Kudos to MS. This seems like an amazing machine and every console gamer's dream.
As someone who has never owned an Xbox, I'd truly consider it if I didn't have a baby on the way. Not sure I can justify two consoles this year.

Sony delays the PS5...

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Just an aside about GitHub spec: it was pointing at 56 active compute units for Arden, and we know that is not accurate.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I think this pretty well goes against claims of console delays. Not only would MS probably not want to put this stuff out now for a 2021 console, but also because a lot of what they talk about demonstrates how much value these machines will offer in terms of day-to-day use even if their launch games were delayed.

I think Klee suggested 52cu...

You know what else he said? That the XSX was slightly above 12TF.

beta

Dec 31, 2019
Just an aside about GitHub spec: it was pointing at 56 active compute units for Arden, and we know that is not accurate.

Maybe RDNA2 clocks better than microsoft expected :P.

oh sure - I'm just curious how easy is is to fully saturate such a setup - whether the hypertheads are less easy to predict and therefore utilise efficiently

Because its a console with a fixed architecture and probably a decent block diagram with nice timings on all the units it should be very predictable.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
He had the PS5 pegged at 52CU's @ 2.0ghz = 13.3 TF.

Hard to imagine Sony have clocked theirs so high, but then again, anything's possible at this point.

I still doubt that 2GHz is feasible but at this point looking at the die size which is pretty much in the same range of the original PS4 APU (350mm2) launched at 399$ it's clear that AMD has sold them pretty much the same APU LOL.
52CUs makes a lot of sense for PS5 as well with 18CUs enabled for PS4 mode, 36 for PS4 Pro mode and the full 52 for native PS5 mode.
But we'll see when Sony finally decides it's time to fully unveil the PS5.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Did it ever point to that? From what I gathered, there were zero tests done on that.
Yes, it did exactly point to this. Correct, no tests were done, but theoretical performance values were given.

Maybe RDNA2 clocks better than microsoft expected :P.

Because its a console with a fixed architecture and probably a decent block diagram with nice timings on all the units it should be very predictable.
We know it does after AMD FAD comments: multi-GHz GPU!

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Insiders vindicated and GitHub turns out to be completely misinterpreted?

Colour me shocked. ;)

Since this Tommy F guy completely accurately predicted the XSX specs, does this mean we might be getting a 13.3TF PS5?!?!

12.1 and 13.3 also line up with all previous rumours.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Finally, full specs (for real this time). Good stuff from MS here, really good. The only real concern I have from what I've skimmed from the article is the unified-but-not-really memory pool. Doesn't make much sense to me. Everything else sounds legit great.

Karate Kid

Banned
Jan 29, 2018
"The Xbox Series X is going to be a beacon of technical innovation leadership for this console generation and will propagate the innovation throughout the DirectX ecosystem this year and into next year."

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Insiders vindicated and GitHub turns out to be completely misinterpreted?

Colour me shocked. ;)

Since this Tommy F guy completely accurately predicted the XSX specs, does this mean we might be getting a 13.3TF PS5?!?!

12.1 and 13.3 also line up with all previous rumours.

Man I do not know what to think he had the specs since December 14th... saying RDNA 2 with 12.1tf way before anyone.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
You think he just guessed and got the XSX specs completely right?

I guess it's hard to know. Seems like he is one lucky guy - especially when nobody was predicting 52CUs
That was one of the easiest things to actually get right given the amount of information that was out. One could have easily extrapolated that there would be some CU's disabled.

The more one looks at it, the more Github was right on what Microsoft was working on. What remains to be seen is whether it got it absolutely right on what Sony was working on.

marecki

Aug 2, 2018
Kudos to MS and AMD engineering teams, that's some mighty impressive hardware, all that remains is the pricing and cannot wait to see what developers are going to achieve.

Ball in your court Sony, I have a feeling you won't disappoint either and we're all in for an incredible generation.

Karate Kid

Banned
Jan 29, 2018
User Banned (1 day): Hostile and antagonistic behavior
Klee redeemed? So should we expect 13TF PS5?

please stop mentioning that coward he just threw a blind dart hoping to hit the right numbers and quit the site because he didn't want to face the eventual backlash. There are very very few people worldwide that would know the final specs of from BOTH companies.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
You think he just guessed and got the XSX specs completely right?

I guess it's hard to know. Seems like he is one lucky guy - especially when nobody was predicting 52CUs

Also got a lot wrong and faked a ps5 controller in an attempt at verification.
If you're going with 52CU there's only so many clocks that make sense as competitive with Sony's rumoured clocks.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
So, what do you guys think about this kind of comunication?

I remeber justa month ago almost everyone saying that even a Direct-like event would be underwhelming for a console full reveal, are you OK with twitter posts and DF videos?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
That was one of the easiest things to actually get right given the amount of information that was out. One could have easily extrapolated that there would be some CU's disabled.

The more one looks at it, the more Github was right on what Microsoft was working on. What remains to be seen is whether it got it absolutely right on what Sony was working on.
GitHub showed 56 active CUs. People extrapolated and believed the chip to be 56/60 CU at 1.675 GHz, which gives you 12 TF.

Let's not start with revisionist history please.

Last edited:

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Worth remembering that Tommy Fisher also claimed that the publicly traded Remedy had been bought by Sony and that Microsoft had bought Techland, neither of which seem particularly likely.

I'd not be giving him too much credence yet.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
XboxSeriesXTech_Inline4.jpg

XboxSeriesXTech_Inline5.jpg

Source: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/03/16/xbox-series-x-tech/

giphy.gif

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017

Github had theoretical figures which implied 56 active CUs. Not the total number of CUs with 4 disabled.
So it was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.