• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this announcement was supposed to happen late last week, but was pushed due to COVID-19?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
ObedientUnhealthyAiredale-size_restricted.gif
You just set and forget it!

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017
the die size is smaller than expected. Regardless excellent specs.

the 360mm2 die size might indicate, ps5 might be closer in power even if the die size is around launch ps4 size.

NotUS

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you Microsoft for producing an amazing console, and not holding back. Next gen is gonna be great.

Congrats to Digital Foundry on the reveal.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
While I really dont like bringing up previous leakers that i dont fully trust, tommy fisher on the other forum was saying that xbox is 12.1TF with 52CU @ 1.82Ghz

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
The die size is much smaller than I would've expected from a 56 CU GPU (with 4 disabled) based on Navi 10. They must've reduced the size of the CUs with RDNA2, right?

Also interesting that devs will be able to choose wether they rather use higher clock speeds or SMT.
Yes I think they must have reduced the size of the CU of RDNA2. Possibly because they removed some general compute HE that is better suited for CDNA application space?

With that die size does it make it more likely to hit the $500 price point?
Smaller = cheaper

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The specs are less interesting than the ways they're explaining how they came to those specs, and the improvements they've made throughout the pipeline - clearly having solid profiling data helped a lot

the SSD with hardware decompress, combined with direct storage and updates to texture memory fetching will help effectively give devs full access to their gamedata as though it was just right there in ram (with obvious caveats but it looks really well thought through)

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Soooo maybe I would take a look at what leaks nailed the 12.1TF number, with the CUs, and maybe pay more attention to those...

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
In the DF video, they say it's 56 with 4 disabled.
Right, so CU disable for yields are essentially useless and don't contribute to performance, only a lager die. All consoles have a certain amount disabled. No one would be discussing disabled CU in relation to chip performance.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
While I really dont like bringing up previous leakers that i dont fully trust, tommy fisher on the other forum was saying that xbox is 12.1TF with 52CU @ 1.82Ghz

He had the PS5 pegged at 52CU's @ 2.0ghz = 13.3 TF.

Hard to imagine Sony have clocked theirs so high, but then again, anything's possible at this point.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere somewhere laughing PS5 SSD.
Here's hope Sony will react to the information Microsoft just posted!

EDIT: Oh wow, I love how Xbox is handling their reveal with those "tech demos".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.