• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not a huge tech guy so I have a question for those who are. If the ps5 is slightly higher in power than the SX, is it possible for Microsoft to upclock their console to get the upper hand? I remember watching the Austin Evans video they said something about the specs possibly being changed. Curious if that's a strategy they would go for or not?
They could do and have done so in the past with XB1.

Whether they will and if it is something they can deliver without affecting shipments is another matter.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
I want to see the return of this fellow

Seems like a prototype of Knack 😂

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Minecraft demo is path traced or full rt running at 1080p 30 fps. Gears has rt global illumination or hybrid tracing running at native 4k 60 fps which is was expected.
Edit: it seems the Minecraft demo was running at 60 fps? I thought the df guys said 30 fps or maybe I'm just hearing things. I still think the gears demo is a good showcase for amd rt.

Next gen will be fine.

This is amds first effort. It was never going to be as good as nvidias.
Gears is not using hyrid RT, it is just screen space tracing.

Minecraft Demo was not 60 fps when they flipped on PT. John noted it was below that.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Back compat question: if we get back compat would it be easy to make sure that it is region free? So play Japanese imports on a UK PS5 etc etc? I would assume so. If that's true it's a game changer.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
If we can't get a minimum of 1440p I want the option to turn off RT in every game. The fact that freaking Minecraft was running at 1080p and that was a showcase is not good.
I mean you could just look at how ray traced games perform on RTX 2080s to see what to expect in the absolute best case scenario... it's probably going to be pretty rough at first. As the tech advances through the next decade I feel fairly certain we will at least get 1440/60 out of these things.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If we can't get a minimum of 1440p I want the option to turn off RT in every game. The fact that freaking Minecraft was running at 1080p and that was a showcase is not good.
I feel we get very light RT in games. Godfall will probably be very light when it comes to RT, too, as well as many other games, it's just too taxing on the hardware.
In the end it will be a trade off in image quality: more pixels or better lighting?
Also because of Lockhart and PC, I see a lot of games having an option for RT disabled.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Any guesses on PS5 "secret sauce" best is yet to come? I am thinking it is the SSD patent gofreak found. Someone said today, "memory management becomes free" that sounds pretty secrete sauce.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Team 14 tflops,
This is your Captain speaking. We have finally arrived at the moment of truth. I want everyone to know that I am proud of each and everyone of you. We are a bunch of dreamers, and while tomorrow a 9 tflops console might shatter our dreams, I want you all to remember this country was built by dreamers. I appreciate you all for standing together while we were mocked, but here we are with the xbox series x already 12 rdna 2.0 tflops which is probably somewhere around 18 vega tflops and 20+ polaris tflops. Dont let anyone bring you down, we have already won.

I tried to bookmark all of your posts, but forgive me if i missed someone. Here is to everyone of your dreamers.

Starting with co-founder Xeontech of course.
TheRealTalker Cyborg Pharaoh sleepr Starwing Seshumaru PJV3 Dizastah BlacknGoldBlood Fargoth's Ring iboshow

source.gif

P.S Team 13.3 tflops. Just an FYI, we are in the same boat for better or worse. If the ship sinks by a 9.2 tflops torpedo, we are all going down together.

Late joiner here, but I'll happily go down on that ship!

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What a ride it was boys and girl. Im gonna miss these OTs and you guys. Sad and happy to see that this finaly comes to an END!

khemical

Dec 27, 2019
Well, what a day!

FickleDistantBufeo-size_restricted.gif

Seeing that tomorrow is gonna be jam packed with entertainment, let's keep this short and sweet tonight! khemical, modiz, aweedswee, nightstalker962, DigSCCP, 3bada. Y'all come on over and get y'all's new faces, mmkay? For the crime of picking the wrong date for the PS5 reveal, I hereby sentence you to the following avatars:

khemical, a special cover for those toilets-for-two!

rOR1TnO.png

modiz, be careful that you don't get....

343LOfR.png

aweedswee, it's a panda kitty!

Xf6LZh2.png

nightstalker962, I felt it was appropriate for you to have this horrible action figure of Kolchak

iDm3mEx.png

DigSCCP, remember the Brady Bunch Variety Hour? Neither do I!

4ULHWXP.png

3bada, say hi to your mum!

worst-album-covers-wally-whiton.jpg

That's all for tonight, folks! Tomorrow's the real fun. Let's hope it's not....

tenor.gif

Damn, I got so close but at least we finally get to hear what Sony has to offer.

Deleted member 27551

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not gunna lie I do hope its above 11tf though obviously it isnt the be all and end all. Still remember on the old site arguing with people who had way more knowledge about hardware and thinking they were all wrong with an agenda, pretty sure DF alex was one.

How wrong I was thinking Sony wouldnt bottleneck a console with a shit ass CPU lol. Anyway all I can take from all this is that the consoles seem to be way more balanced than the ps4/1x so it's going to be a treat seeing what Dev's can come up with.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Well, what a day!

FickleDistantBufeo-size_restricted.gif

Seeing that tomorrow is gonna be jam packed with entertainment, let's keep this short and sweet tonight! khemical, modiz, aweedswee, nightstalker962, DigSCCP, 3bada. Y'all come on over and get y'all's new faces, mmkay? For the crime of picking the wrong date for the PS5 reveal, I hereby sentence you to the following avatars:

khemical, a special cover for those toilets-for-two!

rOR1TnO.png

modiz, be careful that you don't get....

343LOfR.png

aweedswee, it's a panda kitty!

Xf6LZh2.png

nightstalker962, I felt it was appropriate for you to have this horrible action figure of Kolchak

iDm3mEx.png

DigSCCP, remember the Brady Bunch Variety Hour? Neither do I!

4ULHWXP.png

3bada, say hi to your mum!

worst-album-covers-wally-whiton.jpg

That's all for tonight, folks! Tomorrow's the real fun. Let's hope it's not....

tenor.gif
Modiz.. ouch.

All these people.. missing the reveal by a day.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
That's why I am comparing it to DDR4 + Esram. Not in the struggle it will be, but more on a weird design decision to save some dollars.
I do not see SONY doing that.
The key part will be how the OS is handle.

The earlier HBM rumours had Sony with a unified RAM pool of faster ram and slower ram. I don't think the CPU needs as fast bandwidth as the GPU. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we see Sony with a similar RAM setup. Any cost they can save by using slower ram Is something that can be invested else where in the console...

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why I did not get alerts for these.

Didn't Klee say that PS5 and XSX are so close it's like the Xbox One and the S, which are 7% of each other? So If you want to be in team Klee, your range is 11.35TF - 13TF, isn't it? Or am I remembering incorrectly?

Yeah. I think 7-10% of XSX. Source: tales from my ass.

lol just looked up my first two posts. both were telling team 2019 to calm down. now granted, it was in november 2017 and i ended up getting converted into a team 2019 apologist, but still.

i also made this prediction after bringing up 15 tflops lol.
  • 2020 at the latest.
  • 10-12 tflop GPU.
  • 12-16GB of RAM.
  • 8 Core 3.2Ghz CPU.

RIP team 2019. Also RIP team Feb. I lost a little of myself there. Thats a fairly conservative estimate you had there.

Very much this. His emphasis from day one was "we're getting awesome consoles and games that will blow you away, so stop with the doom and gloom." That optimistic outlook was contagious for many here even as some insisted on badgering him into identifying the performance leader based on what he knew, and some subset didn't like the answer they got.
I agree. That enthusiasm really brought life to the thread.

Last edited:

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Team 14 tflops,
This is your Captain speaking. We have finally arrived at the moment of truth. I want everyone to know that I am proud of each and everyone of you. We are a bunch of dreamers, and while tomorrow a 9 tflops console might shatter our dreams, I want you all to remember this country was built by dreamers. I appreciate you all for standing together while we were mocked, but here we are with the xbox series x already 12 rdna 2.0 tflops which is probably somewhere around 18 vega tflops and 20+ polaris tflops. Dont let anyone bring you down, we have already won.

I tried to bookmark all of your posts, but forgive me if i missed someone. Here is to everyone of your dreamers.

Starting with co-founder Xeontech of course.
TheRealTalker Cyborg Pharaoh sleepr Starwing Seshumaru PJV3 Dizastah BlacknGoldBlood Fargoth's Ring iboshow

source.gif

P.S Team 13.3 tflops. Just an FYI, we are in the same boat for better or worse. If the ship sinks by a 9.2 tflops torpedo, we are all going down together.
14 tf to the end my friends

The dreamers have spoken

And the time of reckoning is at hand

Nov 2, 2017
Gears is not using hyrid RT, it is just screen space tracing.

Minecraft Demo was not 60 fps when they flipped on PT. John noted it was below that.
I really dislike how the Gears devs spread misinformation with their vague claims of raytraced screen space GI (to me this doesn't make any sense) or their 100+ fps without specifying at what resolution or settings. People will just misinterpret it or interpret it how they want and this causes a bunch of frustrating discussions.

I remember them doing the same thing at Gears 5's launch where they claimed they were using raytraced shadows in Gears 5.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not going to happen, RT will be mandatory when the old consoles get left behind it's just that much easier for the developers to develop the games with it. PC has to deal with that but by the time, there will be plenty of RTX and RDNA2+ GPUs in PCs. And if not, RT might run a lot faster than today because it's not an afterthought anymore and APIs plus engines are more advanced, so even midrange GPUs without HW-RT could run the hybrid raster/RT games (not very well that is, but surely quite a bit faster than todays RT games with Pascal GPUs).
I predict RT will replace old raster techniques soon, such as screen splace reflections, SSAO and maybe even Global Illuimination. You could turn them off, but then the games will look like ass, developers might not bother with implementing the older techniques anymore.

And minecraft is path traced, which is immensively more demanding than the hybrid approach in modern games. It's an exception, not the norm.

Last edited:

L33

Dec 20, 2019
The earlier HBM rumours had Sony with a unified RAM pool of faster ram and slower ram. I don't think the CPU needs as fast bandwidth as the GPU. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we see Sony with a similar RAM setup. Any cost they can save by using slower ram Is something that can be invested else where in the console...
HBM for VRAM, slower ddr for CPU....I still believe

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
I really dislike how the Gears devs spread misinformation with their vague claims of raytraced screen space GI (to me this doesn't make any sense) or their 100+ fps without specifying at what resolution or settings. People will just misinterpret it or interpret it how they want and this causes a bunch of frustrating discussions.
It's not vague.

A screen space global illumination is a feature of Unreal engine.
docs.unrealengine.com

Screen Space Global Illumination In Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.4 Documentation | Epic Developer Community

An overview of dynamic global illumination using a screen space effect in Unreal Engine.

They most likely do not use RT features from hardware for that. (Although it should be possible to use RT hardware to trace the heightmap in view pyramid, or use it for empty space skipping and then use custom intersection code.)
I remember them doing the same thing at Gears 5's launch where they claimed they were using raytraced shadows in Gears 5.
Distance field shadows are also standard UE4 feature. (Although not that widely used.)
docs.unrealengine.com

Distance Field Soft Shadows In Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.4 Documentation | Epic Developer Community

An overview of using Mesh Distance Fields to create dynamic soft area shadowing in Unreal Engine.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
HBM for VRAM, slower ddr for CPU....I still believe

That's not exactly how the rumour went. It was supposedly 4GB DDR4 for the OS, and the game RAM was 12GB DDR4 plus 8GB HBM2, which would be unified and managed on the back end by the High Bandwidth Cache Controller, with the CPU and GPU using what they needed. Now sure, the CPU generally fits with the low latency DDR4 and the GPU generally fits the high bandwidth memory, but there would still be times where certain functions of each chip could better use the opposite RAM type, not to mention that the CPU likely wouldn't be using all 12GB of DDR4 and so the GPU would probably use a lot of it whenever.

renx

Jan 3, 2020
The worst disappointment would be Mark Cerny talking only about features, and not power.
If that happens, then the Github's 36CUs are real.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
That's not exactly how the rumour went. It was supposedly 4GB DDR4 for the OS, and the game RAM was 12GB DDR4 plus 8GB HBM2, which would be unified and managed on the back end by the High Bandwidth Cache Controller, with the CPU and GPU using what they needed. Now sure, the CPU generally fits with the low latency DDR4 and the GPU generally fits the high bandwidth memory, but there would still be times where certain functions of each chip could better use the opposite RAM type, not to mention that the CPU likely wouldn't be using all 12GB of DDR4 and so the GPU would probably use a lot of it whenever.

I would prefer to invert 12GB of HBM2 with 3 stacks at least 615 GB/s of bandwidth and 8 GB of DDR4 at only (51.2GB/s). But I suppose we will have GDDR6... 16 GB of HBM2 4 stack is 120 dollars, it would be cheaper.

consoleramtable.png

Last edited:

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
The worst disappointment would be Mark Cerny talking only about features, and not power.
If that happens, then the Github's 36CUs are real.
Really depends on features.

I would say that features can be a lot more interesting than pure amount of calculations and their impact certainly are more fun to speculate and discuss.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to the talk this afternoon, at least with working from home I can click out at 4 and watch it straight away!

And I have to say talking about features is far more interesting than giving out a number.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Why do many of you believe that the CPU clock speed will be lower in the PS5?
Him being the boss of Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale was a nice throwback.

He was? That's pretty nice nod for the fans. I never played that game. I guess I'm part of the reason it didn't do too well. :(

Nov 2, 2017
It's not vague.

A screen space global illumination is a feature of Unreal engine.
docs.unrealengine.com

Screen Space Global Illumination In Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.4 Documentation | Epic Developer Community

An overview of dynamic global illumination using a screen space effect in Unreal Engine.

They most likely do not use RT features from hardware for that. (Although it should be possible to use RT hardware to trace the heightmap in view pyramid, or use it for empty space skipping and then use custom intersection code.)

Distance field shadows are also standard UE4 feature. (Although not that widely used.)
docs.unrealengine.com

Distance Field Soft Shadows In Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.4 Documentation | Epic Developer Community

An overview of using Mesh Distance Fields to create dynamic soft area shadowing in Unreal Engine.

I know all this. Hell I've linked your first link to other people myself. Maybe vague is the wrong choice of words but they're spreading misinformation this way in my opinion. The raytracing they're talking about isn't the same thing at all as hybrid realtime raytracing but that's how most people will interpret it. Most people have very little knowledge about raytracing so they'll just assume it's the same thing as what Nvidia has been talking about. They don't specify at all what they mean with raytracing and I'm pretty sure they're doing that on purpose.

I mean loads of people are already misinterpreting it. The same thing happened last time when they mentioned raytracing.

If I recall correctly they literally said they were using raytracing for shadows in Gears 5. How do you think most people will interpret this? In this case I'd say they were being vague. In the current context I'd say it's as close to being a lie without it actually being a lie.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I would prefer to invert 12GB of HBM2 with 3 stacks at least 615 GB/s of bandwidth and 8 GB of DDR4 at only (51.2GB/s). But I suppose we will have GDDR6... 16 GB of HBM2 4 stack is 120 dollars, it would be cheaper.

consoleramtable.png

Well, we'll find out tonight.

That graph is interesting. I wonder if it would be possible in a few years to have a Switch 2 with HBM3 on an even smaller process node, using 1 4-hi 8GB stack with 358GB/s. Maybe a 6-hi 12GB if it was really needed. Would shrunken HBM3 in a portable be an option?

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Why do many of you believe that the CPU clock speed will be lower in the PS5?

He was? That's pretty nice nod for the fans. I never played that game. I guess I'm part of the reason it didn't do too well. :(

Think people are just assuming based on the fact that PS4 had a lower CPU clock than the One / One S and Pro had a lower clock than One X.

Status
Not open for further replies.