• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I would prefer if they were identical in everything, just for the fact that it would create some sort of disruption to the usual back and forth.
It would be super annoying. It's annoying enough as it is to always buy two relatively similar consoles just to play a hand full of exclusives, if they were identical it would feel like a waste.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
I would prefer if they were identical in everything, just for the fact that it would create some sort of disruption to the usual back and forth.

It has to be close, but not identical. Difference fuels competition and gives them incentive to try to do better next time.

The best case scenario is both being very close to one another, with one having slightly better CPU or RAM, other with some GPU advantage and etc.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Here's some stuff that would be a nice surprise since I think that the RAM set up and the SSD speed of the SX was kind of less than I was expecting:
  • ARM chip with 4GBs of DDR for for the OS, leaving all Zen Cores and and 16GBs of ram for games.
  • SSD speed 5GB/s sustained
  • Open standard SSD expansion (as long as the SSD is to spec)
I think the things some devs are excited about is the SSD. I know that's what I'm most excited about.

It has to be close, but not identical. Difference fuels competition and gives them incentive to try to do better next time.

The best case scenario is both being very close to one another, with one having slightly better CPU or RAM, other with some GPU advantage and etc.
I agree. There will be pros and cons of each console. Just like this gen.

The Cameo

Apr 26, 2018
I still haven't been able to confirm whether the Cerny presentation is all pre-recorded or is it a livestream, which is the way Eurogamer described it. All the PlayStation Japan site said was that content from GDC presentation would be included in tomorrow's reveal, which tells me nothing.

GDC presentation content being included in the reveal basically means he will at some point get down to some brass tacks on things. You'll likely hear concrete numbers in the stream itself as well as in a whitepaper sent to Wired (probably) after the fact.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
he wouldn't need to if he's hearing the BOM and not the individual components and building his own BOM.
Why such a large range for XSX then if he's not pricing components individually?

What if PS5 chip is smaller with faster clocks?
That alone wouldn't explain the gulf that MS has. And with them announcing a 1TB SSD and only 16GB RAM, there's not much room for Sony to reduce on the next two biggest items.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
jschreier What's with the antagonism towards performance metrics? Why can't we care about theoretical performance? We're smart enough to understand technical context and know that it's not the whole story.

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
This claim is absolute nonsense and I've no idea why people keep repeating it. It was only ever planned in the headcanon people have invented for themselves.
If Cerny was doing a deepdive at GDC, then the console would have had to unveiled earlier.

Klee been knew. Klee been knew.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
jschreier What's with the antagonism towards performance metrics? Why can't we care about theoretical performance? We're smart enough to understand technical context and know that it's not the whole story.

I guess he gets tired of being a target for extreme fanboys, so I get his point.

But I also agree with you: performance metrics are relevant, we are talking about computer devices that should endure years and years, and the better their capabilities now, the longer you should expect them to remain viable.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Based on everything I've seen on Twitter and ResetEra, no, most people are not educated enough to understand that GPU teraflops aren't the only point of comparison that one can use to gauge console power. Sony and Microsoft's marketing over the years has created this beast, of course, so they're entirely to blame. But console warriors are rabid and irrational. And boring -- did I mention boring?

I'm no technical expert, but that's why I ask endless questions of people who are, and I've been told several times that there are all sorts of efficiencies and pipelines and other aspects of the console that can make a huge difference, or result in many of those processing units going unused. Drivers, APIs, tools, and other aspects of the hardware that I know very little about.

I have no idea what the PlayStation 5's teraflops number is, but I do know that, as I've been saying for quite some time now, both consoles are extremely powerful and will do things that that aren't possible in this generation thanks in large part to their CPUs and SSDs.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
This is my biggest confusion. Microsoft is offering a standard next-gen upgrade with Lockhart, and a premium upgrade for enthusiasts with Series X. Series X is already gonna be 500 at least. Even if Sony match the price, that's still a big deal that they are limiting their audience to enthusiasts until the price drops. So, if Sony has opted to try and one-up Xbox they might be looking at another 50. Hypothetically, if Sony only had a 550 offering while Xbox had a 500 and 250, who is that going to benefit more?

Lots of people havent thought this through.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
It's possible, but would Zhuge know enough about that to include it in his projection? That's a pretty big assumption.

To me Zhuge range was to big the first time he say something about BOM .
In the end he say they close in BOM but i not certain how much that can tell us.
To bad that Zomb not here he did BOM cost for PS4 and it was almost a match .

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Finally!! This was some great news to wake up to. With all the comments from devs on PS5, I'm expecting some great stuff.

And most importantly, Github will more than likely be completely dead so people can stop losing their minds

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
Based on everything I've seen on Twitter and ResetEra, no, most people are not educated enough to understand that GPU teraflops aren't the only point of comparison that one can use to gauge console power. Sony and Microsoft's marketing over the years has created this beast, of course, so they're entirely to blame. But console warriors are rabid and irrational. And boring -- did I mention boring?

I'm no technical expert, but that's why I ask endless questions of people who are, and I've been told several times that there are all sorts of efficiencies and pipelines and other aspects of the console that can make a huge difference, or result in many of those processing units going unused. Drivers, APIs, tools, and other aspects of the hardware that I know very little about.

I have no idea what the PlayStation 5's teraflops number is, but I do know that, as I've been saying for quite some time now, both consoles are extremely powerful and will do things that that aren't possible in this generation thanks in large part to their CPUs and SSDs.
Can you say that both consoles are very close performance-wise?

Oct 27, 2017
Florida

I agree the back and forth between the fervent fanboys is annoying. I just really enjoy console launch years and the technical talk that goes on with it. It's super interesting to see new developments in gaming that will power our experiences for years to come. Ray Tracing. Mesh Shaders. Memory compression techniques. These hardware and software engineers are wizards and it's amazing to see what they come up with.

Japi

Banned
Oct 14, 2019
You are too focused on the us vs. them mentality and back and forth between console makers. Sony has had a plan for a long while now, and while that plan has been tweaked and fine-tuned (as all good plans are), the reason why they are pulling the trigger now is because they had mapped this out and feel it is the best time to do so.

I'll put it in other terms: When you sell a console to 120 million people and your competitor sells 50 million, do you structure your whole marketing plan for next gen around those 50 million people using your competitors device or around the 120 million people base you've help nourish who are in your ecosystem?

If Sony is weaker, which I don't believe they will be by a significant margin, now still makes sense for them to announce. Again, they are reaching out to their 120 million install base, namely the people that will be day 1 buyers.

The second your marketing plan revolves around responding to the competition is the second you've lost the plot as a marketer, as you are no longer focused on the grand strategy but instead engaging in an endless war of slapping each other for no reason.

You might be head of marketing somewhere, but your response makes it clear you have to have contingency plans.
And why one person can never be responsible for marketing.

Essentially you whole argument stands on a premise that xbox has somehow cracked the premium market and that playstation is the mass market cheaper brand.

You fail to consider;

Most of those 50 million xboxes are actually weaker than the 100 million ps4s on the marker

Xbox is also cheaper at this point and has been so since 2015

Premium ps4 pro has sold more that premium xbox

Marketing is never set in stone and you can come into a new generation with such an unchanging attitude. It always has to adapt and be more flexible.

Just a 2nd year marketing and advertising undergrad.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

👍

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Folks still tagging you, huh. lol

Thanks for any insight, tidbit of info you could bring us. And you were smart to stay away from the speculation thread.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019

Ok, yes, but having more teraflops is good, the same as more Ram is good or higher clocks are good. So not that a metric number that is used to weigh things becomes suddenly irrelevant.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Well there is lockhart and that suppose to do everything next gen can do but at lower res and suppose to be 4TF .
So in a way i can understand how some will want to know a TF number .
Since saying they can do new things thanks to the SSD and CPU could mean a low power GPU for some.
If both consoles close it does take some of the hardware aspect out of which system to buy so that would be nice.

Last edited:

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

Brave man coming in here.

I just have one question, if you'll indulge me.

Why do you hate yourself?

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
Tomorrow, at the reveal with Sid: Cerny unleashes a 12,7 TF RDNA2 monster and after the hardware reveal, says: Everything you are about to see is running in realtime on finalized hardware.

Cuts to footage:.. Sony Entertainment Europe Presents.. (The new Psygnosis logo is revealed).. in collaboration with.. Bluepoint Games... A Blade Runner-esque city at night is revealed, thousands of neon-lit buildings can be seen with hundreds of flying vehicles everywhere.. rain is pouring, every single drop is rendered individually, all running at a completely locked 60fps. The draw distance is jaw-dropping , every single light source ray traced.. you can see ground vehicles and npcs from a thousand feet in the air. The camera drops to ground level, ray traced puddles everywhere. Almost photorealistic. The camera zooms in inside a japan-town alleyway. You see an uniformed man eating ramen on the street corner, under the rain..every noodle also rendered individually . You can see a small blue shaded G letter on the side of the helmet. A distress call projects on the helmet glass, you can see the water droplets dripping down realistically.. " We have a situation in Charlie Cuadrant".. " Copy, I,m on my way".....

Then we see gameplay transitioning from flying over a beautiful neon lit cyberpunk city then landing on an urban complex for a infiltrate/extract hostage style mission while switching to an awesome first person combat experience seamlessly. Cuts to black....

" G-Police: Assault Squad Alpha "

" Nov 27 2020"

" PSVR compatible" ...

Then Antonio Banderas shows up hugs Cerny and says to him " you are breathtaking" .. End of live feed.
Antonio Banderas would be the cream ! :-)

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
I agree the back and forth between the fervent fanboys is annoying. I just really enjoy console launch years and the technical talk that goes on with it. It's super interesting to see new developments in gaming that will power our experiences for years to come. Ray Tracing. Mesh Shaders. Memory compression techniques. These hardware and software engineers are wizards and it's amazing to see what they come up with.

We'll said, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.