• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
So I was off by three days, wonderful haha

But they literally announce that they are unveiling the specs one day just after Microsoft did? It seems to me like a reaction to them. Love your marketing insight by the way.

Microsoft revealed most of their specs before yesterday though. I don't buy it.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't say marketing doesn't adapt, I said getting into ridiculous slap fights, especially right now, would be getting off strategy, as the strategy at this point in time is securing your hardcore user base for next-gen purchase.

I fully believe that Sony has a strong system that they are confident in, but I also believe that revealing a lot of the technical details now was almost always the plan after COVID-19 became a global event. Whether the PS5 is stronger, equal to, or weaker than the PS5 adjusts the tone of the message and the words used, but I fully believe that talking to the market now was always in the plan, if that makes sense.

Indeed but their plan was to announce this at GDC and this was their roadmap.
Things changed, GDC was cancelled and in the meantime your main competitor has announced eveything yesterday.
Under these circumstances you need to adapt and change your original plan and you need to do it in a way that puts your product in the best light. I think the point is just that this decision to go one day after their competition is a sign of confidence otherwise knowing the new variables they would have rescheduled things differently, that is all.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Indeed but their plan was to announce this at GDC and this was their roadmap.
Things changed, GDC was cancelled and in the meantime your main competitor has announced eveything yesterday.
Under these circumstances you need to adapt and change your original plan and you need to do it in a way that puts your product in the best light. I think the point is just that this decision to go one day after their competition is a sign of confidence otherwise knowing the new variables they would have rescheduled things differently, that is all.

I don't fully agree. The GDC announcement was not just about reaching out to the greater market, but also developers large and small, who are also now waiting on some of the information you were going to tell them, as perhaps some of their plans rest on that. Sony pivoting to what they are going to do now kills two birds with one stone: gives the developers the information they would have gotten at GDC at the time they would have gotten the info anyways while also reaching out to the greater consumer market and giving them new info as well.

I actually feel like their pivot is causing a nice bit of serendipity for them, and I feel the same about the Xbox announcement yesterday as well. It would make no sense to schedule a whole bunch of calls or conference calls with these developers at this point since the chance of someone leaking said call goes up exponentially. Might as well just announce yourself to everyone and unveil things the way you want to.

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Is that a good thing? Forgive my ignorance but who is the best SSD manufacturer?

Samsung and Intel have the best consumer performance but Kingston, which HyperX is part of, provides very affordable SSDs for their performance. It seems HyperX makes their highest performing SSDs though.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You think a deep dive into the PS5's system architecture from Mark Cerny himself will not result in specs? https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1239884910812450816
The thing I'm least happy about is that Mark Cerny is not very exciting to listen to. The audience he's usually rolled out for is the development one, and his delivery is pretty dry.

I think that arch presentation two days after full xsx specs unveail is sign of confidence... :)
Or, they have to get this out ahead of the GDC events next week where these technologies and specs will be discussed openly.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
You think a deep dive into the PS5's system architecture from Mark Cerny himself will not result in specs? https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1239884910812450816

I'm not hedging any bets on full specs like MS laid out yesterday, they may give vague numbers like MS did for a while with 'double of power of X'.

Like I said, it's better to keep expectations in check, after all this is a GDC talk. If it was a dedicated PS5 event, I'd be signing a different tune. Doesn't hurt to be bit skeptical at times, it bodes well for when you get more :)

The thing I'm least happy about is that Mark Cerny is not very exciting to listen to. The audience he's usually rolled out for is the development one, and his delivery is pretty dry.

He can be as dry as he wants, as long as he delivers them juicy specs haha

renx

Jan 3, 2020
If they do it two days after Microsoft did, then PS5 has to be a beast.
They absolutely wouldn't do it if PS5 couldn't match or improve the hype MS generated.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
I want accurate information not a used car salesman personally but different strokes for different folks
I'm not hedging any bets on full specs like MS laid out yesterday, they may give vague numbers like MS did for a while with 'double of power of X'.

Like I said, it's better to keep expectations in check, after all this is a GDC talk. If it was a dedicated PS5 event, I'd be signing a different tune. Doesn't hurt to be bit skeptical at times, it bodes well for when you get more :)
Deep dive is the words they are using not me lol but hey you keep your expectations low

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017

Or, they have to get this out ahead of the GDC events next week where these technologies and specs will be discussed openly.

It's the complete opposite for me. Mark Cerny is the reason why I understand people who are into ASMR.
I could listen to him talk about specs I don't understand for hours.

All jokes aside: Who is going to enjoy the deep dive from the comfort of their bathtub tomorrow?

Oct 25, 2017
I think his delivery is lovely.

"deep dive" and vague don't really go in hand. Sure, I hear ya though. It seems unnecessary to think they won't go further into the tech since they are essentially saying they will but yeah.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Deep dive with Transistor is a very different beast

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
The moment of truth is tomorrow for all fake leakers.. MUAHAHAHAHA
Tomorrow is going to be a feast for sure.

- Insiders might be redeemed
- Fake insiders might be called out
- Team GitHub might have to eat a truck-load of crow
- Team Anti-GitHub might have to take the L

Oct 27, 2017
Wat.
This is literally their GDC presentation that will not happen. It was always going to exist. GDC was supposed to happen as we speak.
Definitely, this plus MS having their info dump and associated DF media are way too likely to be coincidence. GDC would have been the last point either side could reveal stuff on their own terms instead of it leaking, so it's no surprise that the timing is what it is.
Wait..so Cerny planned to give a PS5 deep dive at GDC? Interesting.
Tbf they are the audience who would probably benefit from a "PS5 deep dive" the most
So all these months of speculation will end tomorrow ? Hmm.. sad ? ;d
Thank gawd. These 12 OTs were definitely a ride... but I'm definitely ready for the "nothing is confirmed" phase to be over. We can finally move on to developers showing their games etc.

Last edited:

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
End of an Era !
I salute you, next gen speculation thread.

People will realise something in their lives is missing once the speculation is over.
Hopefully we're getting some secret sauce tease, so this can go on somewhat.

CrazyNomad

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
Well, playstation japan just twitted that what they are showing tomorrow was already planned, it was their GDC conference that got cancelled

twitter.com

プレイステーション公式 on Twitter

“なお、本動画は米国でのGame Developers Conference(GDC)で予定されていたセッションを収録したものであり、言語は英語のみ(字幕なし)となります。予めご了承ください。”

renx

Jan 3, 2020
How about Mark Cerny found a way to checkerboard the teraflops, and he announces 8TF checkerboarded to 16TF?

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Thanks for your input as someone in marketing, Thanatos

I think a lot of people on here see the marketing and initial plans as a tug of war, and that the "core audience" you spoke of are VERY easily swayed over to competitors over small technicalities. Would you say any of that has any merit, and if so, do the console makers consider that with their initial reveals and marketing plans?

IE: "make sure we hold onto our core and don't let them get wooed by the other console."

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Why isn't there a thread on the tweet? I wouldn't have known if I hadnt randomly come to this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.