• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Specs were finalized a long back, if they're weaker, then it is what it is. No one knows what their marketing layout has been for 2020, COVID-19 has thrown a spanner in the works I'm sure. But, they got to get the messaging out sometime. March/April, it doesn't matter.

Komachi in here killing the PS5 hype a day before reveal.

I find the whole framing in here a bit bizarre. Like if PS5 is a good bit weaker then it will be cheaper. End of...and both those aspects will likely be as a result of design. Seriously, it is not a win or loss type of thing. Anybody thinking otherwise is ignoring basically every single product out there, except for Apple ones.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
Specs were finalized a long back, if they're weaker, then it is what it is. No one knows what their marketing layout has been for 2020, COVID-19 has thrown a spanner in the works I'm sure. But, they got to get the messaging out sometime. March/April, it doesn't matter.

Komachi in here killing the PS5 hype a day before reveal.
How do we know he's talking about PS5 chip?

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
It is a recorded presentation, they can release it when they want. Here they release it like if it was the GDC.
If they didn't give the media heads up, sure. If the media is already aware of what's in the presentation so they can write article, then the presentation will leak and the damage will be even worse since it won't be Sony presenting the info like they want to.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You have to imagine if they weren't in the ballpark or ahead, they'd quietly push this and wait. It's not being handled by another outlet, it appears to be something internally produced, therefore there is no pressure to release it in the current circumstances.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
If I was head of PR of the weaker of the two I would absolutely make it my number one priority to announce first, and counter the better specs when the competitor announces with gameplay demos etc.

Waiting until the stronger console had announced everything and then dropping a deep dive of your specs would be the absolutely worst way to handle it. If PS5 is weaker then literally every comment, every article will be harping on about it.

Sony have bungled the PS5 announcement if it doesn't at least equal XSX.

You are too focused on the us vs. them mentality and back and forth between console makers. Sony has had a plan for a long while now, and while that plan has been tweaked and fine-tuned (as all good plans are), the reason why they are pulling the trigger now is because they had mapped this out and feel it is the best time to do so.

I'll put it in other terms: When you sell a console to 120 million people and your competitor sells 50 million, do you structure your whole marketing plan for next gen around those 50 million people using your competitors device or around the 120 million people base you've help nourish who are in your ecosystem?

If Sony is weaker, which I don't believe they will be by a significant margin, now still makes sense for them to announce. Again, they are reaching out to their 120 million install base, namely the people that will be day 1 buyers.

The second your marketing plan revolves around responding to the competition is the second you've lost the plot as a marketer, as you are no longer focused on the grand strategy but instead engaging in an endless war of slapping each other for no reason.

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
That was my first thought as well.
Maybe Sony wasn't sure what the final specs of the XSX were so they played the waiting game. After MS showed their cards they could react:

A: XSX is more powerful -> Sony lets the dust settle and prepare a reveal that highlights other strengths of the PS5
B: XSX is less powerful and Sony can confidently talk about their specs right after the XSX tech talk.
C: It's simply a coincidence and Sony didn't want to delay their reveal -> could go either way
I am thinking D: marketing : they don't want people to talk about nothing but Xbox .
I think neither Sony or MS were waiting on each other in terms of specs because that is already set aside from maybeeee changing ram to a higher number( even then the games currently in development are already so far they won't utilize the new ram.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I would be more confident that XSX has a better CPU to be honest. Because we're talking 4.0Ghz+ Zen 2 for PS5 to beat it, and I don't think that's happening!

3.8Ghz is insane for an APU.

I think it'll be the other way around. Basically same SoC - Sony's CPU will be 3.2Ghz and their GPU will be 2.0Ghz.

I totally get that, but I was just giving a random example as to how Sony may balance it out by having better parts in other areas that make the PS5 stand out from XsX. I expect there to be a great emphasis on features that are greatly enhanced from the SSD and other components to showcase its capabilities over the pure powerhouse of the XsX.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
I find the whole framing in here a bit bizarre. Like if PS5 is a good bit weaker then it will be cheaper. End of...and both those aspects will likely be as a result of design. Seriously, it is not a win or loss type of thing. Anybody thinking otherwise is ignoring basically every single product out there, except for Apple ones.
I don't think hardly anyone in this forum who are day 1 PS5 buyers wants Sony to target a $399 console.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
sneak preview of this thread tomorrow

TheseDisloyalDrake-size_restricted.gif
This will be the end of Gondor as we know it...here the hammer-stroke will fall hardest... 😉

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
What if it's the other way around? MS knew about this, and decided to reveal the full specs to make the PS5 looks weaker in comparison?

Spec talks were going to happen at gdc regardless. It's an important time for a lot of developers. Seems it's cancellation lead to Microsoft retooling their presentation into what we got yesterday. Sony is just releasing what they originally planned as a video.

I don't think there's anything to the timing here one way or another. People are reading too deep into things.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
You are too focused on the us vs. them mentality and back and forth between console makers. Sony has had a plan for a long while now, and while that plan has been tweaked and fine-tuned (as all good plans are), the reason why they are pulling the trigger now is because they had mapped this out and feel it is the best time to do so.

I'll put it in other terms: When you sell a console to 120 million people and your competitor sells 50 million, do you structure your whole marketing plan for next gen around those 50 million people using your competitors device or around the 120 million people base you've help nourish who are in your ecosystem?

If Sony is weaker, which I don't believe they will be by a significant margin, now still makes sense for them to announce. Again, they are reaching out to their 120 million install base, namely the people that will be day 1 buyers.

The second your marketing plan revolves around responding to the competition is the second you've lost the plot as a marketer, as you are no longer focused on the grand strategy but instead engaging in an endless war of slapping each other for no reason.

The fact that they have a roadmap and they have to execute on that at some point is absolutely true.
The fact that marketing doesn't adapt vs the competition to put your own product in the best light is far from truth.
You don't make a conference focused on your weak points one day after the competition.
What would happen if tomorrow Cerny announced 9.2TF, thanks for your attention?
It would be suicidal. If they had a 9.2TF system for example, they would wait until they can talk about other strong aspects like games,exclusives and price to give people the full message.
They have to be confident in their hardware to do this. This doesn't mean they know they're better under every metric, of course, but it means they know they're absolutely on equal ground overall.

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
Then Sony would've silently delayed the reveal.
Doesn't make sense. Prepare for a 12-13 TF PS5.

That's my thinking as well it doesn't make sense the other way around.

If they have a weaker console and decide to go a day atfer the competiton without showing games and price it will be pure incompetence.

Last edited:

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
The time for speculation is about to come to an end...
So, um, what are you guys gonna talk about in here after all the specs are in the wild?

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
So the things that keep me of the opinion that the PS5 will be between 36 and 40 Cu's.
1. The original XSX leak from Reddit which was 100% right about not only XSX but Lockhart, also had the PS5 specs at 8tflops (inline with that CU count).
2. The Taiwanese dude that leaked the die sizes for XSX and PS5 (nailed the XSX size) has the PS5 die at smaller than the XSX, again in line with a 36-40 CU count.
3. The PS5 dev kit leak that came out before Github leaks had the PS5 at 9.2 tflops.
4. Komanchi and RoGame getting specs from data mining showing the PS5 having a 36CU GPU.
5. Github showing a 36 CU GPU for PS5.
6. The BOM cost for PS5 being cheaper than the XSX in estimates.

On the other hand we have insiders that have been wrong on as many things as right.

This isn't to say that there is no way PS5 doesn't get revealed as a 52 CU 12.x tflops GPU, that's well and truly possible.
It's not a Github or die thing, just a collection of things that point to a GPU that size.

Basically when Sony reveal there are going to be tears on one side or the other.
Hopefully they are identical, and devs can push both of them to the max.
Was that the one with all those studio aquisitions?

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you're weaker announcing your weaker specs straight after the stronger ones is a pretty bad move - because every article about PS5 and the announcement will be about how Xbox Series X is more powerful, or at least mention that.

If you're weaker you want to go first and get all the good PR you can before you have to deal with the stronger opponent - at that point you start dropping gameplay demos etc

Maybe incompetent Sony is back at it again. Make a significantly weaker console, bungle your PR and deep dive the specs 2 days after the stronger and better console is revealed.
Agree entirely. If Sony was weaker, they would wait till they had at least some jaw dropping next gen games to take attention away from teraflop discussion.

If tomorrow it turns out they have the weaker system, they'd have given Microsoft a huge pr boost as that's all people will be talking about and nothing else and that would be bad for them.

chowyunfatt

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if i'm reading too much into it but if the PS5 was significantly weaker than seres x then doing a deep dive, especially so soon after x highlighting weaker hardware would be a silly idea wouldn't it? If this time has been planned then just showing games and what the console has to offer would be better.

I suppose we'll find out tomorrow, if the talk is about features and games and not much deep info on specs we all will know the answer.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018

I'm not having another SoC size/yield/cost discussion again. But, Sony saving ~35-40mm2 of die cost isn't gonna save them a substantial amount, certainly not to the tune of $100 which many folks mistakenly expect.

He's probably talking about hoping for an 80CU monster based on rumors.

Hype restored brothers, choo-choo PS5 full steam ahead!

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
What I am expecting tomorrow:

1.) PS5 logo re-reveal. Technical deep dive into the novel graphic design.
2.) Cerny will highlight raytracing via a Bluepoint remake of Marble Madness.
3.) Cerny tabbing thru GitHub results for 25 minutes
3.) Antonio Banderas GIF followed by fade to black.
🙏

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I am thinking D: marketing : they don't want people to talk about nothing but Xbox .
I think neither Sony or MS were waiting on each other in terms of specs because that is already set aside from maybeeee changing ram to a higher number( even then the games currently in development are already so far they won't utilize the new ram.

Yes, specs can't change anymore, no matter what your competitor announces. What can change, however is your message.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
What I am expecting tomorrow:

1.) PS5 logo re-reveal. Technical deep dive into the novel graphic design.
2.) Cerny will highlight raytracing via a Bluepoint remake of Marble Madness.
3.) Cerny tabbing thru GitHub results for 25 minutes
3.) Antonio Banderas GIF followed by fade to black.

:lol

"This is how you do a pull request, and revert when you accidentally leak the PS5 specs."

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not having another SoC size/yield/cost discussion again. But, Sony saving ~35-40mm2 of die cost isn't gonna save them a substantial amount, certainly not to the tune of $100 which many folks mistakenly expect.

Hype restored brothers, choo-choo PS5 full steam ahead!

Its a better explanation from a design perspective than they were aiming for 2019 and whoopsie we are lagging in performance. oh i know! let's boost the clocks!

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
The fact that they have a roadmap and they have to execute on that at some point is absolutely true.
The fact that marketing doesn't adapt vs the competition to put your own product in the best light is far from truth.
You don't make a conference focused on your weak points one day after the competition.
What would happen if tomorrow Cerny announced 9.2TF, thanks for your attention?
It would be suicidal. If they had a 9.2TF system for example, they would wait until they can talk about other strong aspects like games,exclusives and price to give people the full message.
They have to be confident in their hardware to do this. This doesn't mean they know they're better under every metric, of course, but it means they know they're absolutely on equal ground overall.

I didn't say marketing doesn't adapt, I said getting into ridiculous slap fights, especially right now, would be getting off strategy, as the strategy at this point in time is securing your hardcore user base for next-gen purchase.

I fully believe that Sony has a strong system that they are confident in, but I also believe that revealing a lot of the technical details now was almost always the plan after COVID-19 became a global event. Whether the PS5 is stronger, equal to, or weaker than the PS5 adjusts the tone of the message and the words used, but I fully believe that talking to the market now was always in the plan, if that makes sense.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I think that Sony is confident that they have a console that is comparable to Series X.

I am looking forward to it.

Once again, I shall repeat my request to Sony and MS.

Corona Special.

Get the PS5 and Series X Combo for $900.

Make it happen!

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019

But they literally announce that they are unveiling the specs one day just after Microsoft did? It seems to me like a reaction to them. Love your marketing insight by the way.

JediKilla

Banned
Dec 26, 2019
I think if Sony were sticking to their roadmap they would have had Cerny at GDC go in depth and a possible form factor reveal/sneak peek. Now remember they probably had something planned for when E3 was still a go. Even if they weren't attending you'd expect them to have shown a direct style showcase. Hopefully that's still the plan and we get to see a tonne of launch games. I still believe Kinda Funny has some involvement with that.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
Its a better explanation from a design perspective than they were aiming for 2019 and whoopsie we are lagging in performance. oh i know! let's boost the clocks!

Boosting the clocks on an already small SoC isn't gonna help with the yields... and hence, will cost them more money to manufacture their APU.

wtf. Is this real??

I just woke up. Wtf is happening

Keep your expectations in check, this is a GDC talk which they are putting online tomorrow. I'm half-expecting them to not confirm any specs much to chagrin of many lol

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Is that a good thing? Forgive my ignorance but who is the best SSD manufacturer?
HyperX is just a brand of Kingston.
Kingston is the largest memory manufacturer in the world last time I looked.

But the reality is that the controller is the important part of an SSD. You can have the best memory but a terrible controller.

Also the amount of RAM an SSD has is a big factor as well.

At the moment on the consumer market the only consumer PCIe4 SSD is from Phison.
But of course everyone is working to release controllers so we don't know.

So in conclusion. HyperX tells us nothing.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
But they literally announce that they are unveiling the specs one just after Microsoft did? It seems to me like a reaction to them. Love your marketing insight by the way.

As I said in a post a little earlier, I feel that Sony was always going to speak at GDC and say something about their console, and that was planned a long while ago. The specifics of the message likely changed over time due to COVID-19, but a message was always planned for now.

I think a lot of the video game news we are getting this week was stuff planned for or to time with GDC.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
HyperX is just a brand of Kingston.
Kingston is the largest memory manufacturer in the world last time I looked.

But the reality is that the controller is the important part of an SSD. You can have the best memory but a terrible controller.

Also the amount of RAM an SSD has is a big factor as well.

At the moment on the consumer market the only consumer PCIe4 SSD is from Phison.
But of course everyone is working to release controllers so we don't know.

So in conclusion. HyperX tells us nothing.

Thanks for the summary

Status
Not open for further replies.