• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Clearly planned to hold an event? On what evidence do you have to possibly make a statement like that? There wasn't even so much as a peep of a hint.

This talk has GDC stuff in it. You think Sony would unveil PS5 specs at GDC without first announcing the console?

So have the PS5 specs be announced via leak?

If they were doing deep dives at GDC then they were going to announce the console before that.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm hoping there's no dual model planned for launch.

I'd rather a midgen refresh. And I'd prefer there not to be a PS5 Pro and PS5 Pro +.

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
I doubt they will want to say it's weaker without mentioning the price.

Even if it's weaker, they will never say somthing that could let people think it is. They will just avoid the subject with clever wording. The spec sheet would expose it, but except us enthusiasts, who cares about those ?

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
same. If it's lower powered it'll be lower priced. Which makes Sony's presentation a little tricky. Assume they aren't ready to talk about price. But if they're cheaper and that is the perfectly reasonable explanation for a lower spec, then they'll need to cover that somehow. Maybe vague wording about balancing performance with cost, something like that

it seems unlikely to me that sony, on the day after the big xbox spec reveal, would decide to have a deep dive in tech if they didn't have something either equal to or more powerful. because if they didn't it would make for an incredibly awkward time and one that could be avoided with at least SOME time left between them. but the day after xbox did their thing? i mean, it might not be the case, but that seems like a power move to me.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
9 AM Pacific

12 PM Eastern

9.... 12

5642545b544c4_mark_cerny.png

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
I'm so excited to find out what the specs are. Was github right all along or was it outdated? Happy to see it come to a conclusion.

Edit: It's kind of hard to imagine Sony having the weaker system now. With them releasing their specs so soon after Microsoft did.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
I think MS forced Sony's hand with their TF number reveal. If Sony doesn't reveal theirs tomorrow, everyone will assume it's a lower number.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
It's not possible to have a GPU with less "normal" power but a greater quantity of ray-tracing hardware?
uh sure you could do that, but in the end real time ray tracing is more than just the intersection engine/RT core. The GPU has to shade the results of the intersection tests.

The amount of Intersection accellerating hardware corresponds to the size of the GPU.
Not very professional behavior. Did they asked SONY to have a presentation like Series X and Sony refused. Now they are bitter and throw things like that? IDK, but weird thing to do.

hah, no, no one is bitter. lol

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes. If it's lower than MS, they'll emphasize special sauces.

I honestly think it would ultimately not matter anyway. If they're competitive on price, and the thing doesn't sound like a jet engine (the thing I hate most about the Pro), I think it would take an Xbox One reveal level disaster for this thing not to be a success.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I don't think they would deep dive the tech at GDC without fully and properly announcing the console beforehand, it would just leak everywhere.

Sony clearly planned to hold an event in Feb to announce the console and then had talks around it planned for GDC.

Which means any insiders predicting Feb reveals (aka Klee who has been spot on regarding everything else) was probably right.

Klee will be redeemed. And honestly there needs to be an apology thread here where a lot of people need to say sorry for the way they treated him.

They'll say he guessed lucky and stick to the XSX threads.

I think it goes without saying we should all be stoked that Cerny is the one delivering the goods.

It will be nice to get all this stuff straight from the architect. Especially in his mellifluous dulcet tones.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This talk has GDC stuff in it. You think Sony would unveil PS5 specs at GDC without first announcing the console?

So have the PS5 specs be announced via leak?

If they were doing deep dives at GDC then they were going to announce the console before that.
Agreed 100% - I always assumed that the reveal would be prior to GDC so they could talk openly there - hence my 3rd March guess (see avatar for how that went)

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
3 possibilities:
1. They are generic with the GPU. "RDNA2 gpu running at 2ghz" with no CU count. -> probably 9.2 ala github.
2. They post the full specs, but completely ignore the overall tflops or brush over it super quick -> probably 9.2 ala github.
3. Cerny is in a bathtub.13 tflops confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.