• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Let's see if they reveal the console design altogether, unlike the last time with PS4.

If they didn't reveal it at a PS Meeting, I think it's even less likely that they'd reveal it at an (intended) GDC session that was all about a "deep dive" into the PS5's system architecture.

I am not expecting this to be the big reveal or media blowout for the machine, and I caution Era against assuming it will be as well.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
If they didn't reveal it at a PS Meeting, I think it's even less likely that they'd reveal it at an (intended) GDC session that was all about a "deep dive" into the PS5's system architecture.

I am not expecting this to be the big reveal or media blowout for the machine, and I caution Era against assuming it will be as well.

I think most people get it. It's a system architecture deep dive, we're unlikely to see actual games. But the biggest fights have been over the tech specs, so this will still be a relief.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
So maybe quick recap, whats your tf expectations for ps5 ? ;) I was 9.2tf team way before github leak but after Klee info I will be dissapointed tomorrow if it nos something around 12tf as xsx

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
"either full spec reveal (CPU / GPU / RAM / etc) or showing the actual console (think Series X reveal) must happen. Not just a shadow or some shit. I mean showing the whole damn thing."

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
In the past thread Ive learned that native 4K is a waste of recources and we should implement good CB.

Well, checkerboard isn't the only option. Personally, I think that Insomniac's dynamic resolution plus temporal injection would probably be the best option (the latest DLSS is better but requires specific tensor core hardware).

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently this is just the GDC scheduled presentation, not reactionary.

Anyway, a lot of people tomorrow will don the clown make up.

Erebus

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Europe

Maybe they'll rethink it after yesterday's Xbox coverage on the media. I mean I don't see the point of not showing the design when we've seen the Xbox one for quite some time now.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I think most people get it. It's a system architecture deep dive, we're unlikely to see actual games. But the biggest fights have been over the tech specs, so this will still be a relief.

Oh for sure; I'm eager to learn more about the system architecture, as we all are in this thread.

I can already tell there's going to be a good ol' era backlash if this isn't the big reveal people are hoping for in other threads, though.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
Oh, you better believe I'm working.
maniacal_laugh_austin_powers.gif

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017

I fully believe the specs will be revealed, but maybe not the console itself. Sony would receive an immense amount of backlash if they didn't reveal the specs after Microsoft's info dump yesterday.

xiaoming10086

Mar 1, 2020
Tomorrow:
Talk about a lot of bullshit things like controlers -------- below 10 tf.
Say that the ps5 is "powerful" -------- slightly below 12tf.
Straight forward reveal the TF number -------- well I guess it's better than series X then.

3 situations I guess that coule happen

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they show the box. I think they've said before that they made a mistake not showing the box at the feb event

even if this is a recording of their planned GDC session, if this wasn't previously scheduled then the timing is interesting.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this is the full reveal. This needs to be the full reveal. After the logo thing, Sony needs to come out with it.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I'm not sure I can agree with you. The GitHub tests show a real, measured memory bandiwdth of 531.2GB/s. This is higher than the theoretical maximum achievable with 16gbps modules on a 256-bit bus. It requires 18gbps RAM (likely underclocked some, but still above 16).
Look at much lower volume graphics cards. Even the enthusiast levels aren't pushing those speeds. It just seems impractical. And it could be experimental given a non final configuration.
The die size of the XSX is also interesting.

If you can get 56CU and a 320-bit memory bus into 360mm2 then everyone's estimations of die size are way way off, and far too big.

A 40CU chip with 256-bit bus would likely be <300mm2, making the PS5 APU the smallest and most conservative silicon Sony have ever put in a console.

Does anyone buy that? That Sony didn't even bother trying?
7nm is more expensive per unit area, and they have NAND costs to offset.
I don't think this is possible, no.

One thing that is very interesting is that the layout of the XSX blew everything that was known about how RDNA1 was layed out straight out of the water.

I posted this in the XSX, but it is relevant here as well. This appears nothing like RDNA1 chips.

Butterfly! *Cerny tear*

Fuck, less than a week off. Get your tubs ready.
Lol, I just realised that our brand spanking new PS5 Speculation Thread turned out to be the mayfly of Era threads.

Well, probably.

Hey, anexanhume, any thoughts on the HBM rumour for old time's sake? 😉
*Holds finger to wind*
81% chance of not happening.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I'm just hoping they show the box. I'm guessing the form factor will be like two 2080s stacked on each other but a bit wider to accommodate the disc drive.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
I think it's quite clear now that there was supposed to be a Feb reveal and then a deep dive at GDC with Cerny.

So any insiders that predicted a Feb reveal were probably right about that.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
A Eurogamer hot take ...

Not very professional behavior. Did they asked SONY to have a presentation like Series X and Sony refused. Now they are bitter and throw things like that? IDK, but weird thing to do.
Should we be reading anything into that? 77 Teraflops confirmed?
I read it like Cerny will focus more on what technical will bring to games rather than just technicals. So SSD, desktop CPU and RT.
Spidey demo with SSD leaked, we aren't supposed to have seen that. So I think we will see that again. Probably GT sports too.

I don't think we will have the specs or footage of new games (maybe Godfall? ). I don't think we will see the console either.
So be prepared (for the ASMR).

Status
Not open for further replies.