• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Setting aside all virus-related human concerns for the moment (I think we can all just mutually stipulate to not being horrible people?), I am thoroughly ready for new consoles. The current hardware has been stretched beyond the breaking point, to where the base consoles are straining to deliver acceptable framerates in some major games. The Jaguar APU has been a plague on gaming for too long.

My wallet would welcome a delay, of course. But my body is ready to see ray-traced reflections, and games without minute-long loading screens.

I suspect you're right about game delays being a greater threat than hardware delays (if we take China's word that the virus is on a downslide there), though I'd also imagine
That's the thing, Sony & Microsoft would probably be willing to tank supply constraints for the systems themselves if that does become a problem. The real issue is if we see any massive delays for game development. Granted, you could still fall back on backwards compatibility, but having mostly old games for your system's launch isn't exactly the best idea. You gotta at least have one or two big new games at launch.

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
User banned (3 days): Misinformation. Fearmongering.
Imo this thread should be closed. Kids here don't respect life they just care about their consoles. Who care about these consoles right now? We need to care about life. Any event about consoles would be a disrespect. It is not the moment and the focus need to be in other things.

Answers like this one deserves immediately ban trying to underestimate a virus there is killing beloved ones around the globe making a lot of countries suffering.

And the kids here want info about next consoles. Give me a break.
Flu kills a lot more people yearly, actually also different strand of coronavirus. How come that people are just obsessing with this one? I don't see the world stop because thousands of people die from flu. Ban people because of facts and their opinions? That's exactly how coronavirus got so widespread, by suppressing people.

Right now is perfect timing for anything positive, people are stuck home and most sporting etc events canceled. Perfect time to do a stream and have most views possible when everyone is online.

qa_engineer

Dec 27, 2017
Those of you who voted scrambled eggs are so basic. #teamsunnysideup

Edit: I haven't been following the rumor mill too closely. Someone do a quick tl;dr recap for me PLEASE?! Thanks

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
Last time they told it before the official reveal of PS4 Pro in September 2016. They just don't know.
Yes they did, didn't they also state that building a console with that power (6TF)was also not possible (cost prohibitive)in 2016? So them just releasing system a year later ensured that they had power advantage. Or are you saying that MS didn't have same access to AMD archtectures like PS4 Pro did? Or that they committed corporate espionage?

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I don't think we'll get anything from Sony until late April, or early May. Hopefully we get something juicy from MS next week.

Flu kills a lot more people yearly, actually also different strand of coronavirus. How come that people are just obsessing with this one? I don't see the world stop because thousands of people die from flu. Ban people because of facts and their opinions? That's exactly how coronavirus got so widespread, by suppressing people.

Right now is perfect timing for anything positive, people are stuck home and most sporting etc events canceled. Perfect time to do a stream and have most views possible when everyone is online.
We really need to stop this kind of downplaying nonsense.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

This is so wrong in many ways but I don't want to get off topic so I'll just make it short.

The percentage death rate is 30x in China and 70x in Italy. Sure, the vast majority of people who get this disease will make it. But what happens when they pass it on to that unlucky person who doesn't make it?

I agree that the world won't end because of this, but try and understand that this isn't just another case of the flu. It's a global crisis.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Coronavirus spreads faster and farther than the flu and in most reported cases, 10 times more fatal based on early outbreak results. Suppression within China is what caused the initial outbreak but the complacency with people completely underestimating the virus itself worldwide is what caused it to become so widespread. Countries like Singapore and Taiwan in close proximity most successful took measures directly after December 31st yet even before their first reported case, you have people in these very threads around February 20th thinking cancelling events was an overreaction.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Coronavirus spreads faster and farther than the flu and in most reported cases, 10 times more fatal based on early outbreak results. Suppression within China is what caused the initial outbreak but the complacency with people completely underestimating the virus itself worldwide is what caused it to become so widespread. Countries like Singapore and Taiwan in close proximity most successful took measures directly after December 31st yet even before their first reported case, you have people in these very threads around February 20th thinking cancelling events was an overreaction.

Yep .
In fact when china did what it first did with the lock down people were talk how crazy \unnecessary etc etc that was.
But here we are now with the rest of the world doing something like that in many ways.

Respawn

Dec 5, 2017
This is so wrong in many ways but I don't want to get off topic so I'll just make it short.

The percentage death rate is 30x in China and 70x in Italy. Sure, the vast majority of people who get this disease will make it. But what happens when they pass it on to that unlucky person who doesn't make it?

I agree that the world won't end because of this, but try and understand that this isn't just another case of the flu. It's a global crisis.
I'm.sorry and this thread should not be about this horrible virus but you cannot truly believe China had less deaths than Italy? Incinerators were going 24 7 over there. Stop believing mass media news.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm.sorry and this thread should not be about this horrible virus but you cannot truly believe China had less deaths than Italy? Incinerators were going 24 7 over there. Stop believing mass media news.

I am strictly talking about percentage of people who have died. Reportedly around 3% in China which is 30x the flu, 7% in Italy which is 70x the flu.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I haven't been following this thread a whole lot lately. For 2 obvious reasons, the virus, and Sony's silence. The excitement about next-gen feels so deflated and I know I can't be the only one who feels this.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017

Lol nope.

I haven't been following this thread a whole lot lately. For 2 obvious reasons, the virus, and Sony's silence. The excitement about next-gen feels so deflated and I know I can't be the only one who feels this.

Considering this thread went from 20 pages of fanboy spam per day to 2, I'd say next gen has been snuffed out for the time being. There's nothing to cling to, argue about or look forward to with everything getting postponed as all attention is focused on the virus.

Last edited:

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure about deflated.. but my I don't expect us to get news until this Covid 19 debacle ends or a big announcement theres a vaccine that's been developed. It's in bad taste to have a party with a big reveal. Also.. from a business standpoint.. not sure Sony wants to be at the mercy of Covid19 on the news front.. they want to make an impact.. and they want to see a positive one on the stock market.
On the contrary, the last few days I've been playing games and wondering how next gen 3rd party games will fair. Which will get next gen patches? Which will be re-released. Playing AC Unity... then AC Odyssey, Ubisoft could really hit next gen out the park with a good AC launch game. Wondering if Ace Combat 7 will get a patch? A re-release? Chances are DMC5 gets a re-release. Hiw about Tekken 7, MK11?
Cant wait to see!

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
Well this thread has gone downhill fast. Figured this would be a good place to get away from all the virus talk given that it is everywhere, and surprise surprise we have people arguing about the specifics of the death rate in here.

Back on the actual topic, I'd be surprised if the launch of the consoles is delayed. Unless there is another mass flare up in China causing additional supply chain distributions it seems like things would be on track there. I think despite how serious the situation is you can only expect the world to stand still for so long.

Nov 20, 2019
the hellblade demo isn't real time, so it's not really a fair comparison. Additionally one is a cutscene whereas the other is in game.
I know but it was running in engine, it was "real time" just not gameplay. I used this to show the big difference 1.3 TF vs 12 TF RDNA will bring. I believe Hellblades visuals will match that trailer.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I know but it was running in engine, it was "real time" just not gameplay. I used this to show the big difference 1.3 TF vs 12 TF RDNA will bring. I believe Hellblades visuals will match that trailer.

In-engine doesn't necessarily mean real-time. I believe at was Dictator who did a video where he wasn't comfortable declaring it real-time due to things like the flawless LOD that makes it possibly pre-rendered.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
In engine is not very good indicator as image quality can be increased well beyond what is plausible with interactive framerate.
Simple use of accumulation buffer and most image quality and post effect problems are gone. (AA, DoF and motion blur.)

Nov 20, 2019
In engine is not very good indicator as image quality can be increased well beyond what is plausible with interactive framerate.
Simple use of accumulation buffer and most image quality and post effect problems are gone. (AA, DoF and motion blur.)
Just look at the perfect roundness and poly count on the rocks in the trailer. Digital Foundry said it isn't possible with current gen hardware.

Adum

May 30, 2019
Just look at the perfect roundness and poly count on the rocks in the trailer. Digital Foundry said it isn't possible with current gen hardware.
But the XSeX is using hardware that won't be released to us until late 2020. I'm not saying that the Hellblade trailer is representative of next-gen visuals. I'm just saying that XSeX isn't using anything close to current gen hardware. Who knows what else MS put under the hood in addition to raw TF count.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
In-engine doesn't necessarily mean real-time. I believe at was Dictator who did a video where he wasn't comfortable declaring it real-time due to things like the flawless LOD that makes it possibly pre-rendered.

Next-gen with such power is perfectly able of such graphics and LOD. Everyone will be used to this and it will be standard in most AAA games, at least and ambitious indies.

beta

Dec 31, 2019

All those CGI movies you see also run "in engine" its just that the algorithms they use and the frame times per frame make them not realtime.

Until you see the game running in real time either on the consoles or on similar hardware we will have no idea how it looks.

Running "in engine" is nowhere close to running in realtime.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
All those CGI movies you see also run "in engine" its just that the algorithms they use and the frame times per frame make them not realtime.

Until you see the game running in real time either on the consoles or on similar hardware we will have no idea how it looks.

Running "in engine" is nowhere close to running in realtime.
Just like that first 60fps uncharted 4 in engine teaser.

Definitely not representative and even if it is the hellblade one is running at 24fps why told anyone want that.

People should have learnt that in engine means nothing when it comes to the end product by now.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Just like that first 60fps uncharted 4 in engine teaser.

Definitely not representative and even if it is the hellblade one is running at 24fps why told anyone want that.

People should have learnt that in engine means nothing when it comes to the end product by now.

True. So just go back and look at in engine demos for current gen and judge them against in engine demos for next gen. Theoretical bullshit vs theoretical bullshit.

Yes, of course I know it's not that easy. Plus you'd have to factor in resolution increase, but also new reconstruction techniques, but also the potential hit from ray tracing, but also the gains from VRS! So in other words....good luck guessing 🤷🏾‍♂️

Image of Phil Spencer's twitter profile picture with 10 memory chips
Oct 25, 2017
gHu1WbMe_400x400.jpg

I think this is the Lockhart mobo :o

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
It has to be a mixed chip density. 20 GB GDDR6 seems.... Like ALOT

16 GB seems fine especially if the SSD is going to be used as a RAM page.

Status
Not open for further replies.