• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
They released 4 consoles this gen, Nintendo are also rumoured to be releasing 2 additional Switch revisions, and let's not even get into the whole 3DS, 3DS XL, New 3DS, New 3DS XL, 2DS, New 2DS XL thing - if that's not confusing people, nothing ever will. I could perhaps understand those concerns in 2005, but certainly not in 2019.

They released technically 2.

Xbox one
Xbox one X

The S model was just a slim version of the original in terms of gaming.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I will try to say this in the most gentle and uncontroversial way i can because every time i criticize MS I end up getting banned. lol

MS has done a great job this gen reacting. They killed kinect, increased clock speeds, bought exclusives, bought studios and released their own pro console albeit a year late. But I think it's time to stop reacting and just focus on creating mind blowing exclusives. They finally have a good base of talented developers and a good leader guiding the ship. The need to trust their plans and not react. Sony has literally handed them an opportunity of a lifetime by not going to E3. MS will have all the third party reveals and will not have to worry about losing the spotlight to a cool PS5 or PS4 exclusive.

They have two more months. Just use that to create mind blowing demos, preferrably real but realtime proof of concepts will do for now. Just focus on having at least five of those. Sony's PS4 reveal had Killzone Shadowfall's amazing demo, knack, Deepdown, Driveclub and infamous second son just setting the standard for graphics this gen. This will be the first time we will be seeing true next gen graphics from a real game and not some fancy UE4 or Unity demo, they can set the bar. Sony has given them a free pass here.

That said, and i know i said they shouldnt react to Sony, but Lockheart has to go now that Sony isnt releasing a $399 console. It will just hold back Anacondo and probably next gen in general. A $399 console will probably have to settle for 8 tflops and an 8 tflops next gen is just depressing. Go with a 12-14 tflops $499 console and forget about native 4k. Games will look fantastic in checkerboard or at 1440p. Dont handicap the gen on day 1.

And lastly, Make Halo Infinite a next gen only title. Dont limit it to a base spec of 1.3 tflops when you are going to launch it on a GPU literally 10 times more powerful and a CPU literally 4x more powerful. Take the hit on initial sales. Halo Combat Evolved sold for years. Just Let Xbox One die.

How do you think PCs work man? Lockhart isn't holding back anything. If anything Lockhart is the ace in the hole. It allows Microsoft to occupy both the high end of the gen and the value end. Sony as they are now is stuck in the middle again.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you think PCs work man? Lockhart isn't holding back anything. If anything Lockhart is the ace in the hole. It allows Microsoft to occupy both the high end of the gen and the value end. Sony as they are now is stuck in the middle again.
?? PCs are held back by consoles. These next gen consoles are going to finally utilize the powerful CPUs and SSDs in ways no dev has done this gen. The GPU enhancements are going to make every PC game this gen look last gen as fuck.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Sony is now responding to that and MS already announcing that E3, in less than 2 months, will be their full reveal of their next gen plans.

We're not getting a full reveal ~18 months before launch. It'll likely be closer to the Scorpio reveal back in E3 2016. Though I do wonder if they will reveal a bit more than they originally planned now that Sony has revealed some specs. They may feel the need to also let gamers know that they will be offering the same advancements in their next gen console. Still, I don't expect a full reveal until maybe late this year with next year being more likely imo.

They have two more months. Just use that to create mind blowing demos, preferrably real but realtime proof of concepts will do for now. Just focus on having at least five of those. Sony's PS4 reveal had Killzone Shadowfall's amazing demo, knack, Deepdown, Driveclub and infamous second son just setting the standard for graphics this gen. This will be the first time we will be seeing true next gen graphics from a real game and not some fancy UE4 or Unity demo, they can set the bar. Sony has given them a free pass here.

That said, and i know i said they shouldnt react to Sony, but Lockheart has to go now that Sony isnt releasing a $399 console. It will just hold back Anacondo and probably next gen in general. A $399 console will probably have to settle for 8 tflops and an 8 tflops next gen is just depressing. Go with a 12-14 tflops $499 console and forget about native 4k. Games will look fantastic in checkerboard or at 1440p. Dont handicap the gen on day 1.

And lastly, Make Halo Infinite a next gen only title. Dont limit it to a base spec of 1.3 tflops when you are going to launch it on a GPU literally 10 times more powerful and a CPU literally 4x more powerful. Take the hit on initial sales. Halo Combat Evolved sold for years. Just Let Xbox One die.

I wouldn't expect next gen tech demos this early. Those are more likely to be at the actual reveal event, assuming they have one.

A 8 or even 6TF won't hold this generation back. The graphical side of a game is highly scalable. It's the other aspects, like game logic or physics, that are harder to scale. Best case scenario, Lockhart matches the PS5 in CPU and memory while cutting costs with a weaker/smaller GPU, regular HDD, etc. This would allow the system to run next gen games at 1080p or 1440p with longer load times, etc. Even if the CPU and memory doesn't measure up, there are ways to get around it if those components aren't scaled back too much. I guess my point is: depending on how it's designed, Lockhart doesn't have to hold the generation back, even if it's graphically less capable.

Also I don't think canceling Infinite after telling millions of people they'll be able to play it would do wonders for mindshare. As long as the game turns out great, there's nothing wrong with it being cross gen. This would be like canceling Death Stranding or Cyberpunk for current gen. Assuming both are cross gen titles.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
?? PCs are held back by consoles. These next gen consoles are going to finally utilize the powerful CPUs and SSDs in ways no dev has done this gen. The GPU enhancements are going to make every PC game this gen look last gen as fuck.

No I'm saying Devs will target Anaconda and PS5. Lockhart just gets a paired back version. Just like how if you have 2080 and your buddy has a 1070 he can still run the game it's just not gonna be as good as you can. It's an entry level next gen experience.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
What's funny are the users so adamant the nextbox will be more powerful because Phil said so. The boxes aren't out and Phil doesn't dictate the competitions hardware. Why cling on to that so tightly?

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
I imagine either the xbox is going to be slightly stronger or slightly less powerful. I think the real difference in cost and performance will be if MS choses to implement a similar SSD system as Sony.
For me, it doesn't really matter. I'm getting a PS5 because I went into PS4 gen with the assumption that PS5 would be 100% BC with PS4 (also why I went all digital) and that has proven to be true. My library of over a few hundred titles will be carrying over to the new gen.
For that reason alone, this was the most important gen to win/lose. I'm too engrained in the eco system to drop out now.
Sony would have to seriously f up to get me to switch at this point.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Sales don't really matter to me, tbh. When I said "win", I meant in terms of what I'm looking for ("win" me over) - not in sales, should've made that clear.

And Days Gone and TLOU 2 do nothing at all for me lol.

"Xbox' generation to win at the beginning"; "they have the tech to wrestle with Sony, big-time."

That doesn't sound like that all, but okay.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I believe they'll "support the option", but i dont think they will actually do anything themselves.
That sounds likely. I wonder if they will go Vive or Occulus or just support everything haha. VR is gaining traction slowly and it would be a shame to miss out on some of the really cool VR stuff that is being worked on.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
There's a pretty big flaw in your easy strategy. MS don't know Sony's release plan or exactly how powerful the PS5 will be. They and everyone else who believed the rumours got played with the PS4's ram last time, so guessing isn't smart.

They can definitely guess, and luckily for them they are both working with the same partner for the silicone. Now obviously I do not expect AMD to share information between competitors, if you get creative with how you ask the question verbally and not on paper then you can lock down fundamentals.

"so if we pay you to design and manufacture this silicone for our new console, can we be confident that this will be the most powerful custom SOC to be used in a console"

AMD " you can be confident that this will be the most powerful SOC to be used in a games console"

MS: "thank you"

Ram and other things like design are a different kettle of fish though. Son'y number one thing they need to do to sell me on the PS5 is to talk about noise levels. I booted up my ps4 for the first time ina while last night and playing dreams was awful on my ears.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
They released technically 2.

Xbox one
Xbox one X

The S model was just a slim version of the original in terms of gaming.

Almost, but not quite. It did have a tiny bit of extra power under the hood, although that would go unnoticed in most games, but unlike the original model, it supported HDR and internal upscale to 4K. Each of them is a separate SKU, which might not be the term that you wanted to use, but use it you did. Regardless, when there's room for two models, there's also room for three or even more - again, as Nintendo examples also demonstrate.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
People are allowed to form an opinion based on Phil's general statements, Microsoft's general high pricing of hardware this gen and rumored 2 SKU approach for the next. No one is adamant that this is true but we can form opinions based on recent happenings.
True but nothing specific about the boxes are out so how would Phil himself guarantee that? It isn't a matter of fact and there's no bases for probability other than correlation with the X which was released under the context of a midgen refresh. "it will" or "it most likely" are amusingly premature

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
They can definitely guess, and luckily for them they are both working with the same partner for the silicone. Now obviously I do not expect AMD to share information between competitors, if you get creative with how you ask the question verbally and not on paper then you can lock down fundamentals.

"so if we pay you to design and manufacture this silicone for our new console, can we be confident that this will be the most powerful custom SOC to be used in a console"

AMD " you can be confident that this will be the most powerful SOC to be used in a games console"

Ram and other things like design are a different kettle of fish though. Son'y number one thing they need to do to sell me on the PS5 is to talk about noise levels. I booted up my ps4 for the first time ina while last night and playing dreams was awful on my ears.

But if it's the same SOC as the one in Sony's console, it's still the most powerful one to be used in a game console, isn't it?

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
True but nothing specific about the boxes are out so how would Phil himself guarantee that? It isn't a matter of fact and there's no bases for probability other than correlation with the X which was released under the context of a midgen refresh. "it will" or "it most likely" are amusingly premature

Agreed but this is not something specific to Xbox. When Phil said that Xbox fans were eager to believe while PS fans were eager to dismiss. Even now with a very vague reveal of PS5 specs, there are people here outright saying MS can't compete head on.

In the end, people will believe what they want to believe. We'll have to wait and see how it all plays out.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
They'll just respond with a similar spec system. It's more about the price and services at this point, there's only so much you can do with hardware when you're targeting a sub 500$ price point.

Don't forget about games to play on the new system.

I'm sure they will preview tons of games from their new studios at E3, but how many of those are Xbox One games vs games for next gen will be interesting.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Son'y number one thing they need to do to sell me on the PS5 is to talk about noise levels. I booted up my ps4 for the first time ina while last night and playing dreams was awful on my ears.

Yep, I said the same earlier. MS are two for two with silent consoles.

PS4 and PS4 Pro are annoyingly noisy. I know some people are like turn up your TV or use headphones but nope If you're charging premium prices I expect decent hardware that isn't whirring away constantly and heating up my room.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Yep, I said the same earlier. MS are two for two with silent consoles.

PS4 and PS4 Pro are annoyingly noisy. I know some people are like turn up your TV or use headphones but nope If you're charging premium prices I expect decent hardware that isn't whirring away constantly and heating up my room.

It's true that MS engineers stepped their game up bigly mid-cycle. But launch PS4 was such a marvel I remember reading an interview circa-2013 with some Xbox exec doubting the reveal hardware was real because you couldn't see any holes for ventilation.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough

Amazing. What a thread.

MS don't need to do anything. Sony simply wanted to get some info out there as dev kit deployment ramps up. Some of the take in here are ...sensational.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
It's true that MS engineers stepped their game up bigly mid-cycle. But launch PS4 was such a marvel I remember reading an interview circa-2013 with some Xbox exec doubting the reveal hardware was real because you couldn't see any holes for ventilation.
thats because i believe the x1x was built by the surface team which are also making the next box

Captain_Raoul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, that's definitely how it goes.......lol

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
This is treading into console warrior speculation and assumptions. It's silly and waaaaay too early to speculate that MS can't compete head on when we know nothing about the specs, price, positioning, and especially games.

I get that you don't care for Xbox but they can still provide an attractive option for other gamers. Both systems are likely going to be sold out at the beginning anyways.

I think it would be a mistake to just re-release the 1X with a newer CPU. There are bound to be architectural improvements to Navi over Polaris and GDDR6 will be a good improvement over the GDDR5 in the 1X. 12GB of memory also probably wouldn't cut it next gen. I think a 6TF Navi GPU would be fine for 1080p users, they just need to price it right. The key thing would be not to have too many bottlenecks like we've seen with the OG XBO compared to the PS4.

I don't see them positioning the cheaper machine as an Xcloud box. There is no reason to invest in mid-range (for a console) components to be a streaming device. I think it's more likely that they would position the existing XBO user base as xcloud machines, giving existing customers a way to transition over to next gen with minimal investment until they are ready to pay for actual hardware. With the way they seem to focus on mobile for xcloud, I don't see them offering an actual streaming box at launch.
Um I never said i didn't care for xbox WOW!

I am day one Xbox 5.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

That would be stunningly illegal.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't it likely that Sony gave out this news about the PS5 so they can head off the inevitable leaks? Cerny in the interview said they were ramping up deliveries of PS5 dev kits to developers. There is no way Sony could keep PS5 info from leaking when dev kits are out there with 3rd party developers. A report about the PS5 from someone like Jason Schirer was inevitable within a couple months, maybe even weeks from now.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Working in the IT industry and seeing how all the "hardware" companies, which included other divisions of Microsoft, are going to Software/Licensing based business I would not be surprise if they follow the rest of the IT industry and invest more in the Software, Digital, Subscriptions. As they are already showing with some of their decision over the last year or so.

What I mean by this is, its very possible Microsoft will not try to compete with Sony in the specs race, but rather in the Licensing/Subscription and Services/Software side Next-Gen

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
These machines are years in the making with the exception of small details these machines are probably locked in tech wise.
Sony managed to make a huge performance jump with the PlayStation 4 with one of those details. The GDDR in the PlayStation 4 was fairly last minute, but was an important one.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
They will wait until E3 to surely one-up what Sony has shown. The Anaconda version of Scarlett is probably beyond PS5, after all.
The interesting thing for me is: Microsoft has a two-front technological war ahead. They promised to retain the horsepower crown they obtained with the X but, at the same time, they need for xCloud to keep pace with Stadia.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I don't know whether or not Xbox will beat the PS5 in specs, but I do find it odd that the discourse is that Sony has hit the next gen buzzword bingo, and that there are no more worth marketing XD. I think Sony did a great, but still VERY strange and (honestly somewhat underwhelming), PR thing yesterday. They indeed are getting first dibs on lots of great concepts (who knows how much play these will get in the broader scheme of things really, though). But slick marketing works both ways.

Phil or Mike or Kareem gets on stage and dismissively goes "Oh an SSD? Sure, we have that. Raytracing? Yep, you got it. Here, why don't you take VR with any PC VR headset, too. Backwards Compatibility? Who do you think you're talking to!" "Now, let's talk about the actually exciting stuff..."

Now, of course, Sony has more to share. But this "reveal" didn't even hit all the bullet points of the Scorpio let alone the next box. We know nothing about thermals, for example - not even something vague like "liquid cooling" or "vapor chamber". I'm 100% certain that Sony already knows their cooling solution, if not fully engineered it. No mention of how PS5 will work with the cloud. No mention of Ai or machine learning. Trust me, there are still plenty PLENTY of buzzwords on the table for any company to pick up. Let's not ignore Google (and Amazon and Apple?) in the wings too.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Im interested to see what Lockhart can do. What if MS can get slightly lower resolution same frame rates with PS5 just with lockhart. All for 299 399. Would be awesome.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was dumb of Sony to do this so many months out. Like if you aren't launching until November 2020, then obviously things are going to change to an extent.

However, it doesn't really matter in the long run. The PS5 will dominate the world and the only competition that it will have is in America and UK. Otherwise it's business as usual.

$499 is a really bad price point though to try and launch with. They also need to upgrade their digital infrastructure and marketplace to something along the lines of the Xbox One. Microsoft has a modern system, but the PS4 seems stuck in the early 2010s.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
MS doesn't need to react to an announcement. Nothing changed, all these details they announced yesterday would have been leaked soon anyways as dev kits started rolling out, just like they did with PS4 pro and PS4 before that.

Psykodoughboy

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
I don't know whether or not Xbox will beat the PS5 in specs, but I do find it odd that the discourse is that Sony has hit the next gen buzzword bingo, and that there are no more worth marketing XD. I think Sony did a great, but still VERY strange and (honestly somewhat underwhelming), PR thing yesterday. They indeed are getting first dibs on lots of great concepts (who knows how much play these will get in the broader scheme of things really, though). But slick marketing works both ways.

Phil or Mike or Kareem gets on stage and dismissively goes "Oh an SSD? Sure, we have that. Raytracing? Yep, you got it. Here, why don't you take VR with any PC VR headset, too. Backwards Compatibility? Who do you think you're talking to!" "Now, let's talk about the actually exciting stuff..."

Now, of course, Sony has more to share. But this "reveal" didn't even hit all the bullet points of the Scorpio let alone the next box. We know nothing about thermals, for example - not even something vague like "liquid cooling" or "vapor chamber". I'm 100% certain that Sony already knows their cooling solution, if not fully engineered it. No mention of how PS5 will work with the cloud. No mention of Ai or machine learning. Trust me, there are still plenty PLENTY of buzzwords on the table for any company to pick up. Let's not ignore Google (and Amazon and Apple?) in the wings too.
Lol Sony back in November achieved the fastest deep learning speeds through distributed learning. You guys needs to stop dismissing Sony.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft needs to make their position on console VR clear. Sony is carving up the market and they seem to be twiddling their thumbs. With this announcement Sony has reconfirmed their commitment to VR and Microsoft appears to have once again chosen to become a late comer to an emerging market.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Lol Sony back in November achieved the fastest deep learning speeds through distributed learning. You guys needs to stop dismissing Sony.
Where was I dismissing Sony? Wth. My point is that this "reveal" hasn't nearly shown all of Sony's cards and doesn't nearly show all of MS's cards either. There is "pressure" in the sense that they announced anything at all. But not really in terms of the actual content shared. That's the point. Nowhere did I say Sony don't have cloud or AI or thermal tech (lol), my point is that there are still PLENTY of things for everyone else to say. My console preferences are clear, but you can maybe stop being so defensive and lumping "you guys" altogether. Calm yourself

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft 100% do NOT need to respond to this. Sony are clearly the ones shitting their pants and are trying to bait microsoft into revealing everything. Sure they revealed a couple of things but we dont know the teraflops number and we dont even know the amount of ram. They clearly hope microsoft show everything and can then makes changes at the last minute to try and catch microsoft out. Microsoft should continue business as usual.
What the hell is this post.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
They seem to have something to say about just about everything. I would bet that they'll clap back somehow.

That aside, I would suggest what they may become less direct competitors in due time.

Psykodoughboy

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Where was I dismissing Sony? Wth. My point is that this "reveal" hasn't nearly shown all of Sony's cards and doesn't nearly show all of MS's cards either. There is "pressure" in the sense that they announced anything at all. But not really in terms of the actual content shared. That's the point. Nowhere did I say Sony don't have cloud or AI or thermal tech (lol), my point is that there are still PLENTY of things for everyone else to say. My console preferences are clear, but you can maybe stop being so defensive and lumping "you guys" altogether. Calm yourself
You created a scenario where Ms would downplay Sony by saying we have that too. In what world? In fact it's the opposite

Last edited:

Deleted member 34385

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 26, 2017
It was dumb of Sony to do this so many months out. Like if you aren't launching until November 2020, then obviously things are going to change to an extent.

However, it doesn't really matter in the long run. The PS5 will dominate the world and the only competition that it will have is in America and UK. Otherwise it's business as usual.

$499 is a really bad price point though to try and launch with. They also need to upgrade their digital infrastructure and marketplace to something along the lines of the Xbox One. Microsoft has a modern system, but the PS4 seems stuck in the early 2010s.
they gave us nothing, so it was not dumb to announce this, it was actually smart and reassured a lot of ps4 users to continue buying games, knowing that next gen is a way off and their current games will work on the ps5. the 499 is not confirmed? and we have no information about their infrastructure, so maybe we should stop calling it dumb and work with the facts, which say that we dont have as much info as it may seem.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I think Sony sent a strong message with the annoucement.

Towards PlayStation 4 owners and intenders, not MicroSoft.

They made clear there won't be a successor available in 2019, and they also made it very clear that investing in (digital) games & services within their ecosystem will still make a lot of sense in the upcoming 1,5 years since you'll be able to use them on your potential next-gen console right away.

Making sure that whatever MS announces in June will be matched from a technical level (especially with regard to the SSD) is just a bonus.

That said, I believe people drastically overestimating the impact of the next console's hardware since - at the end of the day - both consoles will probably be quiet similar from a tech perspective.

So both Sony and MS will have to focus on services (like cloud gaming, game pass, etc.) and add-ons like PSVR to differentiate themselves from each other AND the current gen 4K consoles they already sell.

anigif_enhanced-2077-1415594030-20.gif

I'm pretty sure Sony is "concerned", giving how important PlayStation is for them. But definitely not because of "hardware". That's the very, very least of their concerns.
Well said