• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
User Warned: Drive-by Self-Promotion,
I didn't post here since the fiasco.
Just a reminder that you can check my graphs on the other place. Definitely not here.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
So 150 million lifetime for the switch or better? Do we overtake the Playstation 2 lifetime sales?

It's going to be close!

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
So 150 million lifetime for the switch or better? Do we overtake the Playstation 2 lifetime sales?

It's going to be close!

switch hit 100m this quarter/fiscal year. next year it'll probably be around 120m. getting to 150m will be a struggle - specifically if there's a successor at any point in the next 24 months. if there's a new switch in late 2023, then maybe the switch is at 135m at the end of the fiscal year ending march 2024. and like with other older platforms, it will sell for another 12-18 months, but i think 150m is unlikely.

the thing that the ps2 had going for it was that it managed to sell its 155m units well into the life of the ps3. nintendo would need to position the original switch as an affordable alternative for people to jump into the switch ecosystem through some kind of switch mini that would intentionally be sold at a lower price. but i don't think they do that.

ps5 and switch both probably end up firmly in the 120m-140m range.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
🤣

I don't even know what's sarcasm or just ignorance anymore
Wake up, man. PS5 is doing a lot worse than what the PS4 has sold around that same timeframe in Japan.

Japanese devs are not going to skip ps5
They will if software sales for that platform continues to hit rock bottom, especially within small & mid-tier Japanese 3rd party publishers. They will most likely make their stuff multiplatform with Switch, PC & mobile.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Wake up, man. PS5 is doing a lot worse than what the PS4 has sold around that same timeframe in Japan.

They will if software sales for that platform continues to hit rock bottom, especially within small & mid-tier Japanese 3rd party publishers. They will most likely make their stuff multiplatform with Switch, PC & mobile.
How many PS4 did Sony sell at the same time ? I thought the PS5 reached the 1st million faster.

Japanese editors sell games outside of Japan too. So PS5 will stay an important console for them.

DinkyBox

Feb 21, 2021
Can someone with information share the Japanese PS5 software sales info? Do we have any comparison with the PS4 sales at the same time? Or are we just basing this on the Switch games outselling in the top 10+?

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Can someone with information share the Japanese PS5 software sales info? Do we have any comparison with the PS4 sales at the same time? Or are we just basing this on the Switch games outselling in the top 10+?

PS5 software sales are the lowest ever for a platform in recent times. Lower than Wii U, PSV and even GC. Its best selling game has yet to achieve 100k units at retail.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I will check it out later. The website seems a bit slow. Guess it is loading all the data from slides :P.
N1WZbpN.png

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I will check it out later. The website seems a bit slow. Guess it is loading all the data from slides :P.
Honestly, I was keeping track of PS5 releases charting in the Top 30 every week but I just gave up because of how infrequent games appeared. The above is a pretty good representation from ILikeFeet, it is definitely missing a few more recent titles like Demon Slayer and some of those will have sold more off chart but it gives a good picture of the situation.

From Games Data Library here: https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/games-by-year/2014-top-100?authuser=0
You can see that the PS4 had ~1.95 million in software sales over the first 10 months on the market from February 2014 to the end of December 2014. From what we have seen chart by the PS5 so far, I think it would be lucky to be at 0.75 million even with all the extra sales for games selling below the Top 30 weekly.

Edit: The PS4 had an infamously terrible first year for software releases in Japan too. Knack was a pack in and MGS: Ground Zeroes was the biggest release and that was basically a tech demo.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Japanese editors sell games outside of Japan too. So PS5 will stay an important console for them.
I think that they care more about how well their games sell in their own territory more so than how well they sell outside of Japan, honestly. PS5 may continue getting AAA/AAAA games from Japanese 3rd party publishers, but the games that they'll get outside of that (meaning A & AA games) will be slim to none. The latter's already happening right now with PS4 software sales dying & with that platform being on it's way out.

Last edited:

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
That reminds me when I went to the Yokohama Gundam at it's opening. The Gundam Base exclusive goods store there there was just a straight line Chinese buying the limit they could of the stuff. There were a few guys out on the street with just stacks of the boxes like this waiting for their van/truck coming to pick it all up.

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
Obvious the sales arent anything to talk about but this is the comparasion between the ps4 and the ps5 in the same time frame

Weeks 59-60 after launch, PS4: 43.759 / 1.320.742
Weeks 59-60 after launch, PS5: 72.064 / 1.270.012

The big difference is the ps5 is out of stock compared to the ps4.
Big difference is that the PS4 launched in February.
Playstation stocks are low worldwide. My brother has been trying to get one since launch and still hasn't been successful. If they truly didn't care and it was based on software, they wouldn't have shipped 70k, which is a huge number for Japan.
70k over holiday weeks is very low for Japan. It isn't huge.
I honestly don't even know anymore who this is even directed at.
I just posted what Famitsu wrote. They obviously see the PS5 numbers as a success. Take it up with them.
Where does Famitsu say it is a success?
Does anybody have info of the PS5 vs Wii-U launch aligned for JP?
PS5 is about 350,000 behind.
I think that they care more about how well their games sell in their own territory more so than how well they sell outside of Japan, honestly. PS5 may continue getting AAA/AAAA games from Japanese 3rd party publishers, but the games that they'll get outside of that (meaning A & AA games) will be slim to none. The latter's already happening right now with PS4 software sales dying & with that platform being on it's way out.
Why would they more care about sales in Japan? Sales are sales. PS5 will continue to get a lot of non-AAA software.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dec 27 - Jan 2
www.famitsu.com

ゲームソフト販売本数ランキング | ゲーム・エンタメ最新情報のファミ通.com

PS5、PS4、Switch、3DS等の推定ゲーム販売本数ランキング30件です。2024年4月1日~2024年4月7日に集計された店舗データが元になっています。
Also lists the sales for Dec 20 - Dec 26

PlayStation entries:
#12 Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires PS4: 18,461
#29 Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires PS5: 7,529

As pointed out, Dec 27 - Jan 2 was a Switch lockout, so that's the sum total of PlayStation representation in the Famitsu Top 30 for two weeks. This represents a rough estimate of 0.41 PlayStation discs being sold for every PS5 with a disc drive sold. Honestly, at this stage I think the tweet's estimate of half of the PS5s sold in Japan being exported away strikes me as an underestimate.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
First one was a shock because it was the first time for a single console in recorded history.

Now it's the new normal.
It's not a good new normal for the Japanese devs that focus mostly on PS4/5, which is why many have started to support the Switch more. Smaller devs may not even see the point of doing PS5 games if they can't profit from them. It shouldn't hurt the sales of the system in the west, but for those who also like non AAA Japanese games it'll be a loss. Long term this will probably cause a change in the market and the PS5 may lose, or share, important support with the Switch or it's successor (though one could say it already did, as the smaller Japanese games usually release on Switch).

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
The irony. Those threads were just a cesspit of gloating and wars.
If you think those threads were like that, that says more about you than the Media Create users.

Oh no the Switch was ahead and there was hard data to refute misinformed or outright wrong arguments.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
If you think those threads were like that, that says more about you than the Media Create users.

Oh no the Switch was ahead and there was hard data to refute misinformed or outright wrong arguments.

Lol, anyone can see that Switch will take the market in Japan by storm. That's not the issue. Data presented was great as well, also not the issue.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
I didn't post here since the fiasco.
Just a reminder that you can check my graphs on the other place. Definitely not here.
not sure what's the point of this self-promotion considering you can't even read posts on installbaseforum unless you register and if you want to, you have to fill out an >50 word application that has to be approved. that "other place" is intentionally closed off to outsiders.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
not sure what's the point of this self-promotion considering you can't even read posts on installbaseforum unless you register and if you want to, you have to fill out an >50 word application that has to be approved. that forum is intentionally closed off to outsiders.
Over 1,700 people could do it.

But continued posting about cross forum drama should stop in this thread.