• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
User warned: Platform wars. Metacommentary.
What sucks about the loss of sales Era is that they presented just the information upfront, presented tables and graphs to provide context, and then let the discussion from there. Now it seems people are deliberately posting specific parts of the story and leaving our important information. Like in this thread, the OP put a sentence comparing PS5 sales favorably compared to Xbox but they left out the Switch numbers for obvious reasons. Twitter posts from analyst are getting their own thread even though many of those tweets are meant to supplement their articles which show all of the hardware and software sales for the month or week.

The PS5 sales these past two weeks are decent but when you look the broader trend of PS5 hardware sales in Japan plus the essential evaporation of software from the top 30 sales charts, it is not the rosiest of pictures.
Era is basically a PlayStation forum at this point.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
The sales are alright for what the PS5 is right now in Japan. 70K during the busiest holiday shopping period from a fairly new console is still sad as hell. But for how PlayStation is doing in Japan and in that context, I think it's decent. Main issue is that they sold 70,000 consoles and barely any of the customers bought a game with it.

Sony is really going to need to give more resources and focus to Japan if they want to salvage this.

Last edited:

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
It barely sold 75k for the whole of the busiest month of the year in it's home territory, yay

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
PS5 stocks were low all around the world in the past two months, it's not a Japan thing only

How many ps4's were shipped in total by the end of 2014? Ps5 shipments aren't that far off.

Playstation stocks are low worldwide. My brother has been trying to get one since launch and still hasn't been successful.

Your brother could have EASILY gotten a ps5 off eBay or Amazon 3rd party or Stock X for $700-$800. There are 10's of thousands of them available just waiting. Ample stocks. Not low at all.

If they truly didn't care and it was based on software, they wouldn't have shipped 70k, which is a huge number for Japan.

70k for the last 2 weeks of holiday Japan is not good.

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
LMAO I can't detect if it's sarcasm or not.

It's more tongue-in-cheek than sarcasm :P

But yea, it's not really a stock problem. It's a market accessibility at MSRP value problem. Big difference.

There is enough stock of ps5 and SeriesX to meet demand. Just not at the optimal convenience/price.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
It's more tongue-in-cheek than sarcasm :P

But yea, it's not really a stock problem. It's a market accessibility at MSRP value problem. Big difference.

There is enough stock of ps5 and SeriesX to meet demand. Just not at the optimal convenience/price.
Even if there are 50.000 PS5 waiting on eBay, Sony could have sold 5 million more units last year with enough stock.

I think the stock problem is a lot larger problem than scalpers. Scalpers only exist because of the current situation (and because idiots are ready to pay a premium for a console…)

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
What sucks about the loss of sales Era is that they presented just the information upfront, presented tables and graphs to provide context, and then let the discussion from there. Now it seems people are deliberately posting specific parts of the story and leaving our important information. Like in this thread, the OP put a sentence comparing PS5 sales favorably compared to Xbox but they left out the Switch numbers for obvious reasons. Twitter posts from analyst are getting their own thread even though many of those tweets are meant to supplement their articles which show all of the hardware and software sales for the month or week.

The PS5 sales these past two weeks are decent but when you look the broader trend of PS5 hardware sales in Japan plus the essential evaporation of software from the top 30 sales charts, it is not the rosiest of pictures.
Resetera just isn't a good place to talk about sales anymore. SalesERA's effort was enormous and was taken for granted.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Well said indeed.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I'm always amazed when people make definitive forecasts about future doom in a market that is highly fickle and subject to fashion and trendiness, as though a company cannot secure some solid exclusives to boost interest. You know, like how the Ps3 never found any success after its first really really bad first years.
The PS3 didn't recover much. It crawled to come FOURTH (of five) in its generation in Japan due to a massive sustained efforts from many publishers to desperately save their investment in it, instead of supporting the Wii with actual decent efforts.

Baobab

Feb 4, 2021
some of the comments….
Actually that SalesEra had the patience to stay so long on this forum is incredible.

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
Even if there are 50.000 PS5 waiting on eBay, Sony could have sold 5 million more units last year with enough stock.

I disagree.

The ps4 sold 18.5 million by the end of 2014…a $400 console with no shortages.

To suggest a $500 ps5 or Series X would have sold millions more if there was no scalper/bot factor and all stock was made available at retail for MSRP prices all year…is based on nothing.

I keep hearing "1 million more ps5s would have been sold if properly stocked! 5 million more would have been sold! 20 million more had there only been stock! 50 million!"

Thats just misreading the context.

~19 million $500 consoles for the first 14 months is about what anyone could expect. Seems about right.

I think the stock problem is a lot larger problem than scalpers. Scalpers only exist because of the current situation (and because idiots are ready to pay a premium for a console…)

Eh, just because $800 RTX 3000's and $600 Steam Decks will be hard to find due to the sophisticated scalper bot/market of today…doesn't mean I think they both could have sold 20 million units in their first year at $600-$800 if only there was "enough stock" available and they hit retail shelves instead of perceived indefinite shortages by the scalper market.

No, I don't think the sales of those products would have been such, even if they are currently hard to find on shelves at MSRP.

Don't extrapolate too much from the way the current market is functioning.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
I'm really confused how you guys keep taking about the PS5 when the switch is completely running over anything else in Japan.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really confused how you guys keep taking about the PS5 when the switch is completely running over anything else in Japan.
Is this a joke post? Please tell me this is a joke post.

some of the comments….
Actually that SalesEra had the patience to stay so long on this forum is incredible.
Pretty much. Its actually embarrassing.

The way threads like this go, I'm surprised anyone wants to talk sales of any console anymore.

We have some that get antsy when bringing up Series consoles.
We have some that ...looking thru this thread....well its self explanatory....

Its like some try to make it some unwritten rule what and how we can talk about sales. Its wild and tiring.

But hey, its all good. The way some threads go just gives me more time to play games.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
I disagree.

To suggest a $500 ps5 or Series X would have sold millions more if there was no scalper/bot factor and all stock was made available at retail for MSRP prices all year…is based on nothing.

I keep hearing "1 million more ps5s would have been sold if properly stocked! 5 million more would have been sold! 20 million more had there only been stock! 50 million!"

~19 million $500 consoles for the first 14 months is about what anyone could expect. Seems about right.

Eh, just because $800 RTX 3000's and $600 Steam Decks will be hard to find due to the sophisticated scalper bot/market of today…doesn't mean I think they both could have sold 20 million units in their first year at $600-$800 if only there was "enough stock" available and they hit retail shelves instead of perceived indefinite shortages by the scalper market.

No, I don't think the sales of those products would have been such, even if they are currently hard to find on shelves at MSRP.

The scalper problem is real but it is a minimal factor. Most PS5s were bought through normal channels at normal prices. There aren't millions PS5 at scalpers home waiting to be sold&activated.

I'm not saying the PS5 would have sold as much as the latest released iPhone of course (different league), however:
-The PS brand is stronger now than it was after the PS3.
-There was no pandemic in 2013 that boosted console gaming like it happened in 2020.
-The PS5 is backwards compatible and launched with far superior games (first year) compared to the PS4.

The PS5 as you said did sold well in total. But in my opinion it would have 100% outsold the PS4 if there would have been more stock (not saying 5 million more, but 1-2 million).

Thinking that a 800$ graphics cards or a 600$ SteamDeck would have sold as much as PS5s at 400$ (Digital) or 500$, is being lunatic. (Well crypto miners would have bought a lot more GPU if available…). Valve is certainly not planning to sell as many Decks than Sony originally did with the PS5.

xxxx

Going to back to the topic.

Switch dominates the Japan sales and nothing will change. The japanese gamers don't seem interested to the PS brand and games and seems like SIE doesn't really care either. They are focused on the west.

The last 2 weeks for Sony were better than before, but still very low. The problem is like it looks 2022 will stay the same.

Jan 20, 2019
I disagree.

Your understanding of the market is just terrible, you keep saying that there is no demand for the console and they are being sold out because of scalping while not understand how scalping works.

threi

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada

This is a problem that slowly will get worse. It starts with presenting a statistic that is technically true but misses context (i.e. PS5 is doing similar hardware numbers to PS4 in Japan), which people will see and use as the base for an argument that is completely untrue, but backed with data so it comes off as solid (i.e. Because PS5 is doing similar numbers to PS4 and PS4 was successful (worldwide), therefore PS5 is also successful (in Japan) and people are just "doom and glooming" the console). This doesn't get countered, because the people who pay enough attention to that specific market to counter it left the forum, so anyone who views that argument will just believe it's true. Even worse, they will repeat it.

Losing Sales-era will have bigger long term effects than people realize. I'm not about to say that era will turn into a Sony-centric forum (although having PC-era, Xbox-era, and Nintendo-era just up and leave is concerning), but I'm already starting to see arguments that draw conclusions from data that is missing huge amounts of context being repeated a lot. This thread is one such example.

OP
OP
Oct 20, 2021
This is a problem that slowly will get worse. It starts with presenting a statistic that is technically true but misses context (i.e. PS5 is doing similar hardware numbers to PS4 in Japan), which people will see and use as the base for an argument that is completely untrue, but backed with data so it comes off as solid (i.e. Because PS5 is doing similar numbers to PS4 and PS4 was successful (worldwide), therefore PS5 is also successful (in Japan) and people are just "doom and glooming" the console). This doesn't get countered, because the people who pay enough attention to that specific market to counter it left the forum, so anyone who views that argument will just believe it's true. Even worse, they will repeat it.

Losing Sales-era will have bigger long term effects than people realize. I'm not about to say that era will turn into a Sony-centric forum (although having PC-era, Xbox-era, and Nintendo-era just up and leave is concerning), but I'm already starting to see arguments that draw conclusions from data that is missing huge amounts of context being repeated a lot. This thread is one such example.

I honestly don't even know anymore who this is even directed at.
I just posted what Famitsu wrote. They obviously see the PS5 numbers as a success. Take it up with them.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Such as? That's the whole problem.
I'm not sure Japan cares about many games other than Nintendo evergreens such as Mario and Pokémon. Most 3rd party sales disappear after the 2nd week outside of ff, DQ, and MH. So we'll see Elden Ring chart for two weeks on ps5 and then it will disappear.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure Japan cares about many games other than Nintendo evergreens such as Mario and Pokémon. Most 3rd party sales disappear after the 2nd week outside of ff, DQ, and MH. So we'll see Elden Ring chart for two weeks on ps5 and then it will disappear.
There's also Minecraft and Momotaro Dentestu for huge longer term 3rd party evergreens. Shorter term or lower level there's also been a ton that held on for months or even years like Story of Seasons, Sakuna, Taiko no Tatsujin, Fishing Spirits, Fortnite, Battle Cats, Fitness Boxing, FIFA, Powapuro, Summiko Garashi, etc. Hell even Sony had one recently with Demon Slayer holding on for a couple months. It's not gone unnoticed that there's this growing narrative that only Nintendo games sell well in Japan (which really is just a new variation on the tired arguments about Japan not mattering, declining, etc, to rationalize PlayStation's local collapse) but if you actually dig down and look at the data it's manifestly untrue.

FF doesn't really have notable legs either these days. It's a much smaller IP in Japan now than Momotaru or Minecraft and we're seeing it slowly transition into more of a midgrade IP like KH, Taiko, Nier, etc. It's definitely been kicked out of the "big 3" at this point.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
thanks! I'm going to join. why doesn't Chris post here anymore btw? I checked the last thread but it's super long.

You're very welcome :)

As you can see by this thread even merely answering innocent questions like I did for you is treading on thin ice so I can only reaffirm the couple of answers you already received to your above question here. I also miss Chris.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree.

Your brother could have EASILY gotten a ps5 off eBay or Amazon 3rd party or Stock X for $700-$800. There are 10's of thousands of them available just waiting. Ample stocks. Not low at all.

This is embarrassing. The desire for PlayStation 5 is obviously there. I'm not going to say it's as present in Japan as it is in America and elsewhere, but it's obviously there and pretending like it isn't makes zero sense.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
That's a terrible number for their second holiday and further illustrates how hard of a time Sony is having getting these consoles out..
I mean the US number for November showed that when it was somewhere around 500k.
I wonder how much longer these chip shortages will affect stock cause it's hurting these new consoles massively
Expect Xbox One S which seems immune for some reason. That seems to be widely and easily available. I saw a stack of them just there in Best Buy a few weeks ago and I'm pretty sure it's easily available on any online retailer rn

There's also Minecraft and Momotaro Dentestu for huge longer term 3rd party evergreens. Shorter term or lower level there's also been a ton that held on for months or even years like Story of Seasons, Sakuna, Taiko no Tatsujin, Fishing Spirits, Fortnite, Battle Cats, Fitness Boxing, FIFA, Powapuro, Summiko Garashi, etc. Hell even Sony had one recently with Demon Slayer holding on for a couple months. It's not gone unnoticed that there's this growing narrative that only Nintendo games sell well in Japan (which really is just a new variation on the tired arguments about Japan not mattering, declining, etc, to rationalize PlayStation's local collapse) but if you actually dig down and look at the data it's manifestly untrue.

FF doesn't really have notable legs either these days. It's a much smaller IP in Japan now than Momotaru or Minecraft and we're seeing it slowly transition into more of a midgrade IP like KH, Taiko, Nier, etc. It's definitely been kicked out of the "big 3" at this point.

FF is definitely a big step below DQ and MH in Japan I agree. I would still rank DQ as the biggest 3rd party IP since MH mainly only sells based on the mainline games while DQ sells a decent amount on their spinoffs and remakes.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It's for two weeks, some stocks came through clearly, but no software in the top 10, waiting on top 30 but doesn't look good.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017

If Sony's library isn't appealing to Japan that is on them to fix. And they don't seem to care very much, so most 3rd party stuff seem to be branching out to Switch, PC and phones to find new audiences.

TheBlade

Banned
Aug 14, 2020
ModEdit: we aren't here for you to advertise other forums

Here mostly.

Curious as to why it is a problem to post a link to another forum?

I think the numbers are unsurprising - given we know how much Sony has deprioritized Japan.

I am more interested in attach rates and software sales at this point.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017

I think the numbers are unsurprising - given we know how much Sony has deprioritized Japan.

I am more interested in attach rates and software sales at this point.

cant be sending clicks elsewhere, that's loss of ad revenue right there.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone post me PM to where sales ERA went?

Appreciate anyone who can point me to the right directions.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The notification I got when it was edited said the same thing as above-"we aren't here for you to advertise to other forums". So like I'd get it entirely if I created a thread specifically to advertise or if I brought this up in an unrelated thread or something but I didn't, like you said I just posted a link to another website that answered an entirely innocent and understand question.

So yeah just thought I'd answer your question here just in case anyone wants to do what I did in the future as people will surely be continually asking what happened to all the people who created compiled the sales related threads.

TheBlade

Banned
Aug 14, 2020
The notification I got when it was edited said the same thing as above-"we aren't here for you to advertise to other forums". So like I'd get it entirely if I created a thread specifically to advertise or if I brought this up in an unrelated thread or something but I didn't, like you said I just posted a link to another website that answered an entirely innocent and understand question.

So yeah just thought I'd answer your question here just in case anyone wants to do what I did in the future as people will surely be continually asking what happened to all the people who created compiled the sales related threads.

Yeah I found that odd as well! The phrasing of the warning is vindictive and childish and makes no sense. Its obvious you weren't trying to advertise other forums you were just answering questions.

Can you also dm me the link as well?

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
Gee, what makes you say that?

Hedgey

Oct 29, 2017
PS5 has never hit store shelves in Japan. It's constantly being limited to lotteries. The only thing to discuss here is why Sony is distributing so few consoles.