• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Does this mean games are going to get hacked the way they were with ps3? Because that was horrible

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Now imagine miners using PS5s to mine for fedora assets and drive resale pricing even higher

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Wait, is this different from the one of a few days ago? Because I remember that someone here told that most what they could do with that one was to poke around to find an entry. Is this related to that, or is this other person/group? Because this one sounds more concrete/serious.

notBald

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't rootkey mean that the console is completly open now?
There are also asymmetric keys. That is they key used for signing, in other words, the keys needed to execute your own code on the system. To be able to hack games like many fears here, you need to be able to modify the code, and the PS5 will still reject modified code.

What the symmetric keys give you is an insight into the code, perhaps letting you find an exploit.

Oct 27, 2017
In the other thread, or something in the thread which lead me to it, it said something similar happened on the PS4 but Sony were given time by this person to fix it before they made it generally available. Sony also paid a bounty for it or something. So yeah, maybe not as bad as it first appears?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.