• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Since the "Tempest engine" is just using HRTF and processing the audio however it does, the headphones themselves should not have "better 3D audio" than any other random headset. I'm assuming they just sound and feel like a pair of $50 wireless headphones. Which is to say, not that great for much of anything aside from being adequate for gaming. This is also likely why there will be a delay between launch until they implement the feature that allows you to use your own headphones with it. They want to sell their mediocre headphones.
Ergonomics on these are great. Crappy is not how I would describe them.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Comfort might matter, but sound matters more. I have had plenty of comfortable Sony headphones, and most have sounded crappy compared to pretty much all of my other, slightly more expensive options.
I really have no idea how to judge how well or not well these work until paired with a PS5.

I will say they are very much kind of an audio shell. I would not get these if you are not using them with a PS5. They are extremely basic.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I really have no idea how to judge how well or not well these worse until paired with a PS5.

I will say they are very much kind of an audio shell. I would not get these if you are not using them with a PS5. They are extremely basic,

They aren't suddenly going to sell you a $100 headset that sounds like a pair of $100 - $200 pair of wired headphones. There's a world of difference. Yeah sure, it's possible (and highly unlikely) that they so desperately want someone to experience their 3D audio so badly that they are willing to take a big loss on each headset, just to get them out there, but history makes it easy for me to judge. "Gaming" headphones generally sound like gaming headphones. Like I already said, they are probably adequate for gaming. But that's it. I wasn't looking to use them as music headphones, but I already use my own good headphones for gaming already, on top of everything else they do well.

Furthermore, they are practically required to even get any real use out of the 3D audio at launch, unless you enjoy not only using the controller's weak headphone jack, but also draining the hell out of the battery in the process. Unless you happen to already have one of the few compatible headsets that are USB.

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020
I really have no idea how to judge how well or not well these work until paired with a PS5.

I will say they are very much kind of an audio shell. I would not get these if you are not using them with a PS5. They are extremely basic.

Considering the pricepoint, basic sounds about right.
I'm getting them only because I like the idea of wireless gaming without cables getting in the way. Gaming is the only use case for me anyway, I've got a pair of DT 770's for everything else.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Ok, I'm doing my second play through of RDR2. I hit a significant part in the story where one of the absolutely wonderful songs from it's soundtrack kicks in as you're riding on your horse.

This sounds FUCKING AMAZING. Everything I've done with these Pulse 3Ds sounded fairly standard up until just now. I can't believe how incredibly this song is coming through on the headset. I really hope this is a sign of how things will be with PS5 games.

Feb 23, 2019
Does anyone use a wired headset as a backup whenever the wireless set needs to charge?

is the quality of wires headsets always going to be less? (Due to more compressed sound data coming from controller)?

or can wires headsets actually sound better?

curious what brand of wires headset I should use as a backup.

open to suggestions

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone use a wired headset as a backup whenever the wireless set needs to charge?

is the quality of wires headsets always going to be less? (Due to more compressed sound data coming from controller)?

or can wires headsets actually sound better?

curious what brand of wires headset I should use as a backup.

open to suggestions
The Pulse can works without batteries when you use the 3.5mm jack.

If I had to guess I'd say wireless is equal or worse than wired in terms of sound quality.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Comfort might matter, but sound matters more

Comfort wins for me. I've had Sennheiser headsets in the past that have sounded great but would hurt after an hour, making me not want to use them, therefore ultimately useless.

I have the Gold and Platinum PS4 headsets and I don't consider those to be comfortable either. Hoping this one is better...

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Comfort wins for me. I've had Sennheiser headsets in the past that have sounded great but would hurt after an hour, making me not want to use them, therefore ultimately useless.

I have the Gold and Platinum PS4 headsets and I don't consider those to be comfortable either. Hoping this one is better...

I didn't mean for it to sound like you should wear a better sounding headset if it's going to become uncomfortable after a shorter period. You should wear whatever you can for however long you need it without it becoming bothersome. It's just that I don't believe wearing something that's really comfortable, but sounds bad isn't really beneficial over wearing something that sounds really good, and might not be nearly as comfortable (but is still tolerable). I have a ridiculously comfortable pair of wireless Sony headphones, but the sound quality is only simply servicable for random light stuff. For anything that has any kind of surround, or even music that I actually want to sound good though? Not even remotely acceptable.

Having said that, I've had the best of both worlds for gaming ever since last gen, so headsets in general have been a no go for me with single-player games. If the PS5 will still be able to output in Dolby Digital or DTS, then I can still just use the optical out from the back of my TV and continue using what I've been using. It's pretty annoying though how Sony keeps attempting to one-up other sound technologies, yet never even reaches parity, and in this case it looks like for game "3D audio" you have to use their propriety stuff.

I've never worn either of the PS4 headsets, but they looked like they were pretty tight and that the ear cups are so thin that over a short period the center portion of your ear would press up against the driver grill, which becomes painful. The Pulse looks similar.

Last edited:

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Comfort might matter, but sound matters more. I have had plenty of comfortable Sony headphones, and most have sounded crappy compared to pretty much all of my other, slightly more expensive options.
Just wanted to point out that Sony does make some pretty great headphones, I love my MDR-1AM2's and my other pair are Sennheiser 58X's so it's not like I'm comparing them to crap.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How does the sound quality compare to that of the ATH-M50s? The original ones, not the "x" variant.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Surprised no one has mentioned noise isolation, loudness, soundstage, how they sound on PC.
I should be getting my headset today but I have a feeling the SteeleSeries 7P might be better.

I think the best headset Sony has made to this day are the Sony - PULSE Elite wireless.
I never had them break on me. Good balanced headset.

Deleted member 6511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure this is a Target issue to be honest. Look at how all the other retailers had issues even shipping things on release day. I think the fact that all the retailers had issues means there was an issue higher up in the chain.
You probably right. Looking at more people with similar issues from other stores.

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
The Pulse can works without batteries when you use the 3.5mm jack.

If I had to guess I'd say wireless is equal or worse than wired in terms of sound quality.
Actually wired through the 3.5 mm jack to the controller the audio quality should be worse because the controller is bluetooth and receives the audio already compressed.

Technically, the wireless usb dongles is lossless 2.4GHZ wifi audio, which is higher quality thatn bluetooth audio, so it should be higher quality than plain 3.5mm jack.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Actually wired through the 3.5 mm jack to the controller the audio quality should be worse because the controller is bluetooth and receives the audio already compressed.

Technically, the wireless usb dongles is lossless 2.4GHZ wifi audio, which is higher quality thatn bluetooth audio, so it should be higher quality than plain 3.5mm jack.

It uses the very newest Bluetooth and there seems to be more audio tech in the controller this time so probably best to wait for impressions before writing off controller audio

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Out the box I don't like the fit too much. It feels a tad cheap compared to other headsets. I own the SteelSeries ( Arctis 1, Pro Wireless and Pro Gamedac) It feels a tad better than the Arctis 1, but the Pros fit my ears better and are more comfortable.

The Pulse feels very spacious when on the ear. I'm guessing that's by design.

They get loud but not to the level of other headsets I use. My TV was playing in the background via sound bar at volume level 60. I put on the Pulse and played a music track via PC wireless. The Pulse was able to drawn most of the noise from my TV. I tested it with a Youtube video and my TV could be heard in the background. I haven't tested games yet.

PC installation was seamless; plug and play.

Bass isn't overly aggressive.

First impressions, it feels a little cheap. But good quality overall. I already see a potential break point in the ski band. It's one size fits all and people with bigger heads might apply too much pressure and break it. I would say handle with care. I'm not a fan of the rubber ski band; again SteelSeries guy.

It has noticeable noise bleed at max volume; nothing too terrible but it's there. The isolation is decent with media playing (games testing later) but lacks any type of natural sound isolation partly due to the fit of the cups and how spacious they feel while wearing. The drivers drivers feel further away from the ears compared to most headsets. The soundstage and over sound separation sounds fantastic; mission accomplished there I guess.

So yeah, I like them at least with music and general media so far. The sound quality is very good wirelessly, very balanced. I'm in a loud environment so your noise isolation may vary. It blocks out the basics (AC, people, phone etc.. )

Edit:

Playing Forza 4 and the sound isolation doesn't hold up to the more expensive SteelSeries headsets.
In fact the Pros and Gamedac are in a different league. I would say the Pulse are as good if not better than the Arctis 1.
The sound signature just felt softer. I didn't hear the car engine roar as load as I'm used to. It's $100 headset for sure.

Comfort note: the clamping force started to feel uncomfortable after an hour of use.
I think it's because the headset fits more like a on-ear rather than over the ear.
I have definitely used better cup/cushions. I think they should be bigger.

Last edited:

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017

It does sound worse wired. My laptop has a pretty good Dac and I also tested with the Steelseries Game Dac.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Out the box I don't like the fit too much. It feels a tad cheap compared to other headsets. I own the SteelSeries ( Arctis 1, Pro Wireless and Pro Gamedac) It feels a tad better than than the Arctis 1, but the Pros fit my ears better and are more comfortable.

They get loud but not to the level of other headsets I use. My TV was playing in the background via sound bar at volume level 60. I put on the Pulse and played a music track via PC wireless. The Pulse was able to drawn most of the noise from my TV. I tested it with a Youtube video and my TV could be heard in the background. I haven't tested games yet.

First impressions, it feels a little cheap. But good quality overall. I already see a potential break point in the ski band. It's one size fits all and people with bigger heads might apply too much pressure and break it. I would say handle with care. I'm not a fan of the rubber ski band; again SteelSeries guy.

It has noticeable noise bleed at max volume; nothing too terrible but it's there. The isolation is decent with media playing (games testing later) but lacks any type of natural sound isolation partly due to the fit of the cups and how spacious they feel while wearing. The drivers drivers feel further away from the ears compared to most headsets. The soundstage and over sound separation sounds fantastic; mission accomplished there I guess.

So yeah, I like them at least with music and general media so far. The sound quality is very good wirelessly, very balanced. I'm in a loud environment so your noise isolation may vary. It blocks out the basics (AC, people, phone etc.. )

Nice review, thanks.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts

A shame they never got the microphone audio over wireless to sound as good as it did plugged into the DS4 with the Golds.

I'm doubtful they addressed this the Pulse, based on my tests last week.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You forgot the media remote.
logitech-harmony-elite_d5d29064d6ef7a87__450_400.jpg

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Had the platinum headset and had to refund them because they would randomly (but every couple minutes) loss the signal and go mute. IDK yet what caused it, read about faulty dongles and PS4 Pro's usb, but also about them being very, very sensitive to interference. Have any of you owners tested it in a "normal" environment? meaning, router relatively close, cell phone on the table, that kind of thing?

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Had the platinum headset and had to refund them because they would randomly (but every couple minutes) loss the signal and go mute. IDK yet what caused it, read about faulty dongles and PS4 Pro's usb, but also about them being very, very sensitive to interference. Have any of you owners tested it in a "normal" environment? meaning, router relatively close, cell phone on the table, that kind of thing?
Had the platinum and the gold headswts but never had interference from wifi, cell phones, microwave, etc. Router used to be right next to my console around two feet away.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017

Yeh this happens to my gold aswell. They would randomly lose signal for a short second, sometimes a few seconds.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Had the platinum and the gold headswts but never had interference from wifi, cell phones, microwave, etc. Router used to be right next to my console around two feet away.
Ok, then that kinda rules out the "extreme sensitivity" option.
Yeh this happens to my gold aswell. They would randomly lose signal for a short second, sometimes a few seconds.
Hmm. Do we know if the Pulse 3D are stable in this regard?

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
i got the headset yesterday or so.
light when i wear it. a bit stiff but it doesn't feel like its squeezing my big head.

(on pc) the sound is low when its wireless. but i ran it through the hyperx cloud dac and its fine? is anyone else like that or should i consider see if theres any settings thats off?

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Out the box I don't like the fit too much. It feels a tad cheap compared to other headsets. I own the SteelSeries ( Arctis 1, Pro Wireless and Pro Gamedac) It feels a tad better than the Arctis 1, but the Pros fit my ears better and are more comfortable.

Edit:

Playing Forza 4 and the sound isolation doesn't hold up to the more expensive SteelSeries headsets.
In fact the Pros and Gamedac are in a different league. I would say the Pulse are as good if not better than the Arctis 1.
The sound signature just felt softer. I didn't hear the car engine roar as load as I'm used to. It's $100 headset for sure.

Comfort note: the clamping force started to feel uncomfortable after an hour of use.
I think it's because the headset fits more like a on-ear rather than over the ear.
I have definitely used better cup/cushions. I think they should be bigger.
Great review, couple quick questions if you have a moment.
1. Do you have to move a dongle for PC compatibility or is it just BT pairing?
2. Do you know enough about the Arctis 7x to have an idea of the comfort?
2b. Any ideas how these compare to Astro comfort A40/50? (I get bad headaches from some headsets, so comfort is my #1 factor).
3. Any reason to think that there will be any proprietary audio stuff from the PS5 that works primarily with these?

Thanks in advance, and really appreciate your review.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Great review, couple quick questions if you have a moment.
1. Do you have to move a dongle for PC compatibility or is it just BT pairing?
2. Do you know enough about the Arctis 7x to have an idea of the comfort?
2b. Any ideas how these compare to Astro comfort A40/50? (I get bad headaches from some headsets, so comfort is my #1 factor).
3. Any reason to think that there will be any proprietary audio stuff from the PS5 that works primarily with these?

Thanks in advance, and really appreciate your review.

The dongle is needed as there is no way pair the headset. The headset has a on/off switch, mute button etc...

I don't own the Arctis 7x but from the reviews it's the best for mixed use.
I do own several SS headsets and they all have a similar fit. SS headsets are quite comfortable for long use and the cushions are replaceable.

I've never own a pair of Astros so I can't say. Sorry

I believe Sony will absolutely have a exclusive Pluse 3D app with custom EQ and other settings.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
How do you set this thing up on ps4 to get 3d audio? I tried launching headset companion, get a blank screen.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Yes there is, only platinum headset support 3d audio. Pulse 3d is suppose to be ps4 compatible.

I meant for the pulse 3d there is not sorry. The platinum headset does its own 3D audio processing. The PS4 doesn't do any. That's why the PSVR has to have that little box. The little box both does the video splitting as well as processes 3D audio if I understand correctly.

The Pulse 3D is simply a set of standard stereo headphones.

It is PS4 compatible. You are using it with a PS4. But the 3D is not a part of the headset.

Blame Sony for the honestly pretty dishonest naming they've done here. The headset does absolutely no 3D audio on its own. It would be pretty pointless given it's supposed to pair with the PS5, which gives 3D audio to all stereo headphones.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Yes there is, only platinum headset support 3d audio. Pulse 3d is suppose to be ps4 compatible.
You misunderstood what Chettlar was saying.

On PS5, the 3D audio is produced by the console itself, so the Pulse 3D headset doesn't have to do it itself. So it doesn't. It doesn't have that ability. And when you plug it into the PS4, it still doesn't have that ability. You can still hear sound through it, the mic still works, etc., but there's no 3D audio, because the headset itself doesn't offer it, and neither does the PS4.

If you talk about a different headset, designed for the PS4, and which offers 3D audio itself, then yes, those headsets will offer 3D audio on the PS4. But the Pulse 3D is not one of those headsets. It's designed for the PS5, where the console itself creates the 3D audio.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

On PS5, the 3D audio is produced by the console itself, so the Pulse 3D headset doesn't have to do it itself. So it doesn't. It doesn't have that ability. And when you plug it into the PS4, it still doesn't have that ability. You can still hear sound through it, the mic still works, etc., but there's no 3D audio, because the headset itself doesn't offer it, and neither does the PS4.

If you talk about a different headset, designed for the PS4, and which offers 3D audio itself, then yes, those headsets will offer 3D audio on the PS4. But the Pulse 3D is not one of those headsets. It's designed for the PS5, where the console itself creates the 3D audio.

Yeah unfortunately I think the Platinum headphones are the only headphones that support 3D audio on PS4. Kinda sucks as I do not like them at all, but I seriously doubt the PS5's 3D audio works with the few PS4 games that do 3D audio.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017

What!? that's very disappointing, I hope when I play ps4 games with 3d audio on ps5 will be decoded with ps5 audio hw and output 3d audio with their tempest engine format.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada

This is what I was afraid of.

So even if I plug my higher spec/priced headphones into the jack, the 3D pulse might sound better due to the wifi audio?

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah we're all hoping so, but Sony have not said, which is annoying.
They have not say a lot of things, a lot of basic info that would help ppl prepping. Like I wanted to know if ps5 only limited to 1 external drive support and can we store ps4 and ps5 games on the same drive. That system is launching in a week man wtf.