• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
You know you can just replace that part right? Did it with my headphones and now they look like new. Found a third party replacement online that fits and looks like the original piece. Cost about 20 dollars.

Hmm okay, would these be able to produce the same 3D audio that they keep advertising?

EDIT: Answered in this thread. Well that's good to know, found the replacements on Amazon might just go that route once it's confirmed they work with the PS5.

Because mind still work pretty good, I remember reading that they were pretty much the same quality as the PS4 headsets

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't see it sending it through the controller

Dolby Atmos works when passed through 3.5mm on a controller and, as far as I'm aware, the PS5s 3D audio is just Sony's proprietary version of that so I don't see any massive roadblock to it working when wired through the controller. It's just a headphone port.

Oct 27, 2017
Can the Pulse 3D be used on PC? My current Razer headphones are kinda busted (still works tho) and I'm thinking of replacing it with the Pulse 3D when I get a PS5

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I just don't see it sending it through the controller. It works with soundbars because the signal is sent through HDMI and headsets with dongles because that's transmitting the sound directly.
I can't see this working with a Dualsense

How is the sound different when it's via a stereo dongle or via the stereo headphone socket in the dual sense?

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I did pre-order them when I saw they were less than 100€. I'm in need ofsome decent headphones so I hope this work fine

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Yeah, don't pay a premium for the Playstation branding. Just get a quality Stereo headset and you should be good to go. The HyperX Clouds have good built quality and are very comfortable. Plus they're cheap considering their audio quality and often on sale.
My advice when it comes to Hyperx Clouds, is don't buy the Cloud 1 or 2. Buy the Alpha. The older headphones require more power than a controller can give them resulting in a lack of bass and volume. The Alpha was their first Cloud headphones built specifically to be powered by low-powered devices.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why one would preorder any headset, actually. So much could be wrong or subpar with it and there are already great choices on the market. Sony's track record with their headsets is not great either. Which is strange because Sony has topclass headphones without the PS brand.
Why not preorder it? You secure one for now just in case they become hard to get which they already are. If it turns out they aren't great then you can cancel the preorder or return them. Plus it's coming out in November so you'll also get the extended holiday return policy window on top of that. So why not lock it in when you have so long to determine if they are worth keeping even after release?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
does the headset even have 3d audio without the ps5?
The headset has nothing to do with the 3D audio.
You have 2 ear holes, the processing all happens in the tempest engine and comes out of the 2 speakers next to said ear holes.

On Ps4, it didn't have the hardware to do so natively, so they put a 5.1 to 3D 2.0 hrtf chip in the headset.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I just don't see it sending it through the controller. It works with soundbars because the signal is sent through HDMI and headsets with dongles because that's transmitting the sound directly.
I can't see this working with a Dualsense

Are you calling the guy who designed it a liar? =)

They said it specifically works from the port on the controller so that anyone using any headphones can hear the new sound engine.

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
That's what I figured. The marketing is ambiguous though and from this thread, it looks like a lot of people believe you need this headset to hear the 3D audio

I'm shocked at how
A: unaware people are despite Cerny talking about it at length & how this tech works on PC / Xbox and surround headsets for PS4/PS3

B: after all of this week's revelations about what it means when they don't say something explicitly.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
41gUGgxWt2L._AC_SY400_.jpg

Still using this guy. The material around the ear is starting to peal off so feels like a good time to upgrade.
I'm still using these, really good value after all these years. They work with the Switch too.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Ok so is a stereo headset all that's needed to get the best experience? What about headsets that do surround sound? Or is that not an option anymore because of no optical audio out port?

Yeah, literally any stereo headset.

Previous surround headsets took the 5.1 and 7.1 signal (often from optical) and converted this to a 3D audio stereo signal.

This is all done by the console now, so you do not need any external decoders/encoders. The console kits spits out a stereo signal with the processing already performed. Same as it is Pc/Xbox.

Here is an example of 3D audio here: already had the effect encoded to a stereo signal. Try it with any headphones
m.youtube.com

Virtual Barber Shop (Audio...use headphones, close ur eyes)

You'll need headphones for this to work. Make sure there is no noise around, close your eyes, turn the volume up a little bit, hold and press headphone on yo...

Sony should release some gameplay footage with the HRTf applied

Broman1978

Nov 11, 2017
I have the Dolby Atmos app/license on Xbox,.. I am thinking of using this headset on My Series X. Will I be able to Enjoy Atmos with this? (Sorry for stupid question)

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I have the Dolby Atmos app/license on Xbox,.. I am thinking of using this headset on My Series X. Will I be able to Enjoy Atmos with this? (Sorry for stupid question)
If you can plug it into the controller, yes. It's a stereo headset.
Likewise you can plug any Xbox headset with stereo speakers into the Ps5 and enjoy 3D audio

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018

Previous surround headsets took the 5.1 and 7.1 signal (often from optical) and converted this to a 3D audio stereo signal.

This is all done by the console now, so you do not need any external decoders/encoders. The console kits spits out a stereo signal with the processing already performed. Same as it is Pc/Xbox.

Here is an example of 3D audio here: already had the effect encoded to a stereo signal. Try it with any headphones
m.youtube.com

You'll need headphones for this to work. Make sure there is no noise around, close your eyes, turn the volume up a little bit, hold and press headphone on yo...

Thats binaural sound. As i understand it, Sony's 3D audio is an evolution of those concepts but its not quite the same thing.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Thats binaural sound. As i understand it, Sony's 3D audio is an evolution of those concepts but its not quite the same thing.

It's output is exactly exactly the same thing.

in that example the 3D effect had been created naturally via the binaural microphones and the ear shaped mics.

With the Ps5 and other real-time systems; the effect is applied to "clean" audio samples.
For videogames this is computationally expensive, as you have to apply the effect to maybe 100's of objects with the information of where they are in 3D space and the approximation of how they would sound when they have bounced around your ears and how that sound exists in different ways on each size of your head, effectively the way the sound is changed or distorted as it bounces around your ears and head is what your brain decodes and uses to understand which direction the sound comes from .

Last edited:

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both my gold headset and Arctic 9x for Xbox have terrible drop and disconnection (mostly arctis ). I hope it will be better for next gen and new headet

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I preordered one, mostly because I'm tired of unhooking my Steeleries dongle from PC and plugging it into my PS and vice versa.

bigJayy

Dec 30, 2019
The headset has nothing to do with the 3D audio.
You have 2 ear holes, the processing all happens in the tempest engine and comes out of the 2 speakers next to said ear holes.

On Ps4, it didn't have the hardware to do so natively, so they put a 5.1 to 3D 2.0 hrtf chip in the headset.
I know how 3D audio works for the PS5. I just found it strange to call a headset 3D when it doesn't really have 3D sound

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I preordered a set on Amazon after securing my PS5. I've actually held back on getting a mic the past year because I knew I'd just get one with the PS5 anyways.

I hope to be blown away by the 3D audio.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I know how 3D audio works for the PS5. I just found it strange to call a headset 3D when it doesn't really have 3D sound
Sony describe the set as "fine-tuned for 3D Audio on PS5 consoles*"

*When the feature is supported by the game

www.playstation.com

PULSE 3D wireless headset | The official 3D audio headset for PS5 | PlayStation

Discover how good PS5 games can sound with the official PULSE 3D wireless headset, fine-tuned for 3D audio with PlayStation 5 consoles.

Nov 21, 2017
USA

m.youtube.com

Thanks! So not necessary to try and find a wireless 7.1 headset like I did last gen. They broke about a year ago so I told myself I'd wait until next gen to make a smart upgrade. These Arctis 9s are looking reeaal nice!

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Are you calling the guy who designed it a liar? =)

They said it specifically works from the port on the controller so that anyone using any headphones can hear the new sound engine.
No all I'm trying to say is won't the end result suffer soundwise? Say we have 3 devices. PS5, DualSense, nice cans

Wouldn't
PS5 (source) --> DualSense DAC (3.5mm) --> $250 pair of headphones

sound worse than
PS5 (source) --> headphones

I'm sure you'll get the 3D audio effect with both since the PS5 is doing that but won't the sound quality in your headphones be worse in option A?

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
No all I'm trying to say is won't the end result suffer soundwise? Say we have 3 devices. PS5, DualSense, nice cans

Wouldn't
PS5 (source) --> DualSense DAC (3.5mm) --> $250 pair of headphones

sound worse than
PS5 (source) --> headphones

I'm sure you'll get the 3D audio effect with both since the PS5 is doing that but won't the sound quality in your headphones be worse in option A?
If the stream to the Dualsense is as bad as the PS4, everything will sound worse attached to the controller directly, but you'll still get the effect of their 3D audio engine. The audio quality of the Pulse headsets will probably be as bad as the Gold, but again you're getting the 3D Audio simply because that's what the PS5 is outputting. You could run the audio out of the PS5 into your own headphone amp and use high end headphones and still get the 3D audio plus the audio quality you're accustomed to with your headphones. The audio engine is in the PS5. What it sends out has already been decoded (or whatever the word they use for it is). It doesn't need a special device on your end to do the decoding.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
If the stream to the Dualsense is as bad as the PS4, everything will sound worse attached to the controller directly, but you'll still get the effect of their 3D audio engine. The audio quality of the Pulse headsets will probably be as bad as the Gold, but again you're getting the 3D Audio simply because that's what the PS5 is outputting. You could run the audio out of the PS5 into your own headphone amp and use high end headphones and still get the 3D audio plus the audio quality you're accustomed to with your headphones.
Ah so your amp is plugged into one of the USB ports on the console then your headphones into the amp

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I thought the ps5 has no audio out?
How do you think the audio is getting out to the Pulse? It sends it out via the USB port that the dongle is attached to. It's similar on the PS4. If you're familiar with the Hyperx Clouds 2, they have an amp that plugs into the USB port on the PS4, and then you plug your headphones into that amp.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
The new headphones would be a downgrade for you. Just use your platinum on the PS5.

Not necessarily, could be more like a side-grade. The big defining feature of the Platinum headset was its ability to process 3D audio in the supported games, of which there were extremely few. Now, PS5 will do that processing itself which means all games will have the incentive to support it. You would likely need to disable the 3D audio feature on the Platinum headset to make the new stuff work right anyway.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Not necessarily, could be more like a side-grade. The big defining feature of the Platinum headset was its ability to process 3D audio in the supported games, of which there were extremely few. Now, PS5 will do that processing itself which means all games will have the incentive to support it. You would likely need to disable the 3D audio feature on the Platinum headset to make the new stuff work right anyway.
That's true. Especially if what others have said and the audio quality on the Platinum is similar to the Gold. It would then just come down to build quality. In pictures, the Pulse looks like it would be more comfortable to me than the Gold due to that new headband strap.