• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PS5 launch price?

• $399

Votes: 261 47.4%
  • $499

Votes: 264 47.9%
  • $599

Votes: 26 4.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly don't see how BOMs can be that different. I mean the GPU being small will make it cheaper but then you probably have a more expensive SSD an cooling system. So I guess $450 vs $499?

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not especially confident on a specific price point, but I am 100% certain it will be significantly cheaper than the Series X. Anybody who thinks they'll be the same price is delusional.

OP
OP
Raylan

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
9TF console, did I miss something, Cerny talk said 10.3TF? Also DF is quoting this?

81nI3MQ.png
'Variable frequency'. It's sometimes boosted to 10TF.

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I voted $499, but I hope they go for a middle ground $449. Probably the $499.

Also, the OP is inaccurate.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
People really can't let go of 9.2tf they gotta make shit up eh?

I fully expect $399 for the specs unveiled at this point. If its the same as XSX at $499+, I'll put the money towards my PC and wait for the next holiday most likely.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anything over $399 feels like a mistake now. Today was a misstep and coming in at $399 at least erases some of that.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope it will be cheaper than the XSX due to its inferior performance, but the custom SSD stuff sounds more expensive than what MS is doing. So I think both will be $499, which won't look great for Sony.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
$449.99

Anything above $399 feels too much to me. Especially with how many people aren't working right now and for god knows how long.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Sony is probably OK with price being the same as Xbox since they believe their brand power/games will make it more attractive despite being weaker.

Xbox One was a disaster, because not only was it weaker, it was also more expensive.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
'Variable frequency'. It's sometimes boosted to 10TF.
Im trying to find out where you're sourcing the 9 and 10TF numbers from while the only spec we have is that 10.3 Cerny quoted number?

What does "sometimes boosted to 10TF" mean btw, are you claiming PS5 can only operate at 10.3 for a limited time before it loses da powa? it's my understanding GPUs don't always hit their top clocks unless the situation requires?

SoSchwifty

Jan 3, 2020
All the frequencies listed in those spec sheets are "max frequencies". Same is true for Xbox Series X.

No it is not.
The Xbox Series X has locked freq it is always 12 TFlops while PS5 will dip down to 9 TFlops. It will be interesting to see what the actual average performance of the PS5. Is it closer to the 10 TFlops or 9 TFlops?

OP
OP
Raylan

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im trying to find out where you're sourcing the 9 and 10TF numbers from while the only spec we have is that 10.3 Cerny quoted number?

What does "sometimes boosted to 10TF" mean btw, are you claiming PS5 can only operate at 10.3 for a limited time before it loses da powa? it's my understanding GPUs don't always hit their top clocks unless the situation requires?
It's max. clock speed. Sony did that so they could announce the 10TF number. Frequency is variable and will be lower.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I thought the difference isn't that big. Why would the ps5 cost $100 less? Especially with that ssd.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they are going to cost the same or at most 50$ cheaper for ps5. Ps5 has a cheaper gpu im assuming but a more expensive ssd solution

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
After todays presentation i say 400... they clearly going for a lower price, big mistake imo

I wouldn't say that. Consoles have traditionally had a hard time selling over that price. Microsoft and Sony have first hand experience of that. There seems to be a sweet spot when it comes to price and valuation of the video game market from the general consumer.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
$599 is DOA.

I'd be shocked if that happens. That would be conceding the gen to Sony.
For the foreseeable future, Microsoft is going to be selling the XB1 family as an alternative to the XSX, since all their first party games will come out for current-gen consoles as well. That, combined with the fact that their primary goal is to get subscribers through Game Pass and xCloud rather than selling console units, means that they won't have too many issues with selling the Series X as a high-end console at higher prices.

And there's also the high possibility of a Series S or whatever they choose to call it being a cheaper alternative down the road.

wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I have no idea, the only thing I can say is it should be less than Xbox. They can afford to leverage that with all the success they had last gen, so why not?

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
But where do you get the 9tf number from? Nowhere was a base frequency mentioned.

according to the EG article: ""When that worst case game arrives, it will run at a lower clock speed. But not too much lower, to reduce power by 10 per cent it only takes a couple of percent reduction in frequency, so I'd expect any downclocking to be pretty minor". This gives me the impression that delta will be pretty small.

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
Scratch what I said previously. Sony could bite the bullet and price at $399 because of the incoming recession.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Sony certainly designed it to hit $399. Whether that is still feasible after the reported BOM increase is a different matter.

If Microsoft comes out first with the Series X at $499, Sony probably bites the bullet on $399.

Status
Not open for further replies.