• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I was setting up my ps5, almost done, and the damn cord didn't reach.

it was closer to the tv than the xsx, so i thought I might have let it bunch up somewhere but no, its just a shorty.

with the only cable marked ultra being the one with the xsx, anyone know of not yet certified 2.1 speed cables that work at 8-9 feet?

OP
OP
melodiousmowl

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
ugg, the kinda bad news:

"Schedules for the availability of Ultra High Speed HDMI Cables are determined by the manufacturers of the cables. The certification program was launched in Q3 2020 and it is expected that cables will be available for purchase in Q4 2020."

Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable - Bandwidth Up To 48Gbps

Looking for a high speed HDMI cable? ✓ Click here to learn about high speed vs ultra high speed HDMI cable specifications & certification program compliance! HDMI 2.1b

guess i will play the lottery with a random cable claiming 48gbps

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
its really "practical joke" level short, no idea what they were thinking.
good thing dont need 2.1 cable for my tv

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
HDMI was fine for me, it was the power cord that always concerns me, but it was plenty long this time.

Oct 27, 2017
It is hilariously short. If you have the console on the opposite side of the inputs on your TV chances are good it won't reach. I went with this one to get more slack: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FQZXXKB/

It was a little weird. It wouldn't work after a cold reboot. But once on, disconnecting and reconnecting it worked just fine. Probably some handshake stuff.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
how far do you guys keep your console from the tv? Cable was fine for me
I have a 65 in tv and the cord is as long as the tv is wide. So HDMI ports on the right means the console can barely work if it's on the left side where I want it. It works facing sideways or directly next/almost behind the tv.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I was setting up my ps5, almost done, and the damn cord didn't reach.

it was closer to the tv than the xsx, so i thought I might have let it bunch up somewhere but no, its just a shorty.

with the only cable marked ultra being the one with the xsx, anyone know of not yet certified 2.1 speed cables that work at 8-9 feet?
Zeskit cables. You can find them on Amazon. They are certified and they have some longer lengths for reasonable prices. HDTV Test uses them.

Zeskit HDMI

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It was *just* enough, but I can barely move my PS5 unless I unplug it (I have my PS5 horizontal on the bottom shelf of a two shelf unit, which was the best space for it for air flow) so I can't easily access the USB ports on the back. It'll do for now while I wait for certified 2.1 cables to become more common and I can figure out what gives the best bang for your buck.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
Can a regular ps4 cable get it done for 4k60 HDR? I'm afraid I won't find a long 2.1 cable cheap where I live.
This ultra high speed cable is for 4k120 and 8k right?

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
Can a regular ps4 cable get it done for 4k60 HDR? I'm afraid I won't find a long 2.1 cable cheap where I live.
im using it with onex cable for 4k60 hdr tv, works fine.
not sure if that is different than base ps4 cable though, it says high speed on it

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
It's like 1 metre or 1.2 metres at most. Pathetic.

Reminds me of during 7th gen when Sony and Microsoft skimped out and put in composite AV cables with HD consoles instead of just putting a HDMI cable in. It's so annoying. Literally nobody used those cables by then anymore, especially mid gen onwards.

OP
OP
melodiousmowl

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Monoprice has an 8 footer at 48gbps that people seem to be happy with. Unfortunately, they're out of stock:

Monoprice 8K Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable 1.5ft - 48Gbps Black - Monoprice.com
Oh Nice! I wonder if they are out of stock since they can now certify cables...

Zeskit cables. You can find them on Amazon. They are certified and they have some longer lengths for reasonable prices. HDTV Test uses them.

Zeskit HDMI

Man, super pricy, but they have the length I need and avail in a few days, so I think i'll pull the trigger one one for the PS5 for the time being

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
So I actually had to swap my XSX and PS5 cables, the Series X was generously long and the PS5's was obscenely short. But based on the placement of each, the opposing console's cables worked. Otherwise I would have needed to buy one from Amazon.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
The shorter the cable, the higher the chances it works at 4K/120 and 8K.

I use a 18gbps 40 feet cable and it works fine for the PS5's 4K/60 in 12bit HDR.

If you're going to buy a cable, might as well make sure it's at least 18gbps.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
i had to suffer my tcl because all the ports were on the right side of the TV and my setup was sitting on the left. so i feel the pain of those short cables.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
Yes, the regular ps4 cable even does 4K/120hz/HDR/VRR with Ycbcr444. Don't belive the HDMI 2.1 cable hype.

The shorter the cable, the higher the chances it works at 4K/120 and 8K.

I use a 18gbps 40 feet cable and it works fine for the PS5's 4K/60 in 12bit HDR.

If you're going to buy a cable, might as well make sure it's at least 18gbps.

Thanks! Great insights! These high tech talks end up causing so much anxiety lol. Feeling more confident now!

Shirosaki

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Don't suppose anyone has had luck finding 40 feet cables rated for this? My current setup routed up the wall through the attic and comes down to above the fireplace mantle. Would allow me to go with one of the newer receivers that has 2.1 (I've spent so dang much for this new gen lol.)

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Funny thing is, I heard this early on and also have rearranged my room... but to make matters works I capture via my AverMedia card.

So I ordered a 3 pack to allow me to go from console > capture card > TV and the extra cable is for my PC to also reach my TV lol.

EDIT - Removed URL. They were a 3-pack of nearly 10ft long 48Gbps capable HDMI cords from "Cable Matters" but seems only the 3.3 and 6.6 foot ones remain?

Now the only remaining issue is using my PSVR in all of this mess, hahaha.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
So does the PS4 cable work with the same functionality or not?

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I needed something longer than 6 feet.. so this 9ft one from Amazon was perfect. Good price too I think.

I've tried it with 120fps games like WRC9 and Cold War... checked the stats and says all the normal HDMI 2.1 things.

I haven't got no screen flickering in and out. Just normal experience, like the included PS5 cables.

Cable Matters. $12.99 and quick delivery.

If yall want me to test anything else with it and the PS5, let me know.

Oct 28, 2017
Don't suppose anyone has had luck finding 40 feet cables rated for this? My current setup routed up the wall through the attic and comes down to above the fireplace mantle. Would allow me to go with one of the newer receivers that has 2.1 (I've spent so dang much for this new gen lol.)

I've heard that that the Ruipro fiber optic cables may work. Just be aware that all current HDMI 2.1 recievers are bugged and their chipsets don't actually let 2.1 work.

Last edited:

Shirosaki

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've heard that that the Ruipro fiber optic cables may work. Just be aware that all current HDMI 2.1 recievers are bugged and their chipsets don't actually let 2.1 work.
That's good advice! I didn't realize that, just knew that only 1 port typically allowed for true 2.1. I'll have to research some more or just wait.