• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is your 'Trigger effect intensity' set at?

• Off

Votes: 335 24.2%
  • Weak

Votes: 71 5.1%
  • Medium

Votes: 42 3.0%
  • Strong (Standard)

Votes: 934 67.6%

• Total voters

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
It actually feels weird to me now when a game doesn't use it.
This. I use it at standard and I love it. Even when it fucks my fingers.

The other day I was playing Avengers and goddamn black widow almost makes my fingers go numb firing her pistol.

But I like it very much, it feels great to have some force feedback on the triggers.

Games that don't have it are weird now, like the trigger is loose or something.

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
I'll set it to either weak or off. It doesn't increase my immersion. Most times, I find it annoying.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
I like the Haptics and triggers, so always keep them on. I haven't tried a competitive online game on my PS5 yet, that seems like the only time I'd switch the triggers off.

Oct 28, 2017
Off because that shit hurts the joints of my fingers after a while. Plus it feels fucking annoying to have the controller fight against what I'm trying to do. I'm happy for people that like it but to me it is the dumbest thing about the dualsense next to it's shit dpad.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I'd love to know the ages of respondents. My hypothesis is that, like for me, it's harder to adjust to significant changes in any natural way after hundreds of hours annually for 20 years on the dual-stick type modern controllers.

Old dog, new tricks and all that. Maybe if I had 10,000 fewer hours playing one way, it'd be easier for my brain to adapt.

SnipeyMcGee

Jul 1, 2020
I'd love to know the ages of respondents. My hypothesis is that, like for me, it's harder to adjust to significant changes in any natural way after hundreds of hours annually for 20 years on the dual-stick type modern controllers.

Old dog, new tricks and all that. Maybe if I had 10,000 fewer hours playing one way, it'd be easier for my brain to adapt.

I love the haptics and leave my triggers at strong (standard). I'm 32.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
Strong (standard). I understand some people don't like it, but it's literally one of the big features of the PS5.

I don't know. To turn it off means not getting the full experience of what the dualsense stands for.

That being said, I did have to send one of my controllers in for repair. Playing Uncharted 4 (legacy edition), the R2 trigger malfunctioned when first controlling the jeep. So the jeep would continuously move forward. Pulling the trigger upward would fix it until you had to use it again.

Last edited:

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
Anything mp off . I like it in theory but I'm not sure it adds enough , gt will be a good tester but honestly the trigger rumble on Xbox is good feedback as is

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I really love it when it's done correctly, unfortunately most third-party devs do a poor job.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

I'm 42 and I love it. I also want gyro aiming to be the standard control method for all shooters.

kolsonk

Jul 6, 2021
Strong. I love the feature - combined with haptics, it is honestly amazing the immersion some games have!

Mazz

Nov 11, 2017
Recently turned it off while playing Uncharted 4, I really hate how they implemented it.

The4thJeazy

May 14, 2020
It took me some getting used to with FPS games but I always keep it on. Returnal made me fall in love with all the nuances of the dual sense tho

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game. They work great in certain games and not others. On a side note, I wish devs would stop adding resistance when aiming weapons with L2. It doesn't make any sense

JonaB1986

Sep 15, 2020
Scored a PS5 just in time for Horizon Forbidden West. Was playing the Astro game that comes with it and holy shit the trigger and the controller in general are absolutely incredible. The trigger pulls are just so satisfying and immersive. The controller feels great in the hands too. Might become my new main controller on PC over my Elite II as well.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
It was annoying as all hell in Miles Morales. I have a feeling I'm not going to like it very far into HFW either but we'll see.

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland

Been gaming 30 odd years, I feel like I'm missing something now when I play on a machine that doesn't use them.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
I look at rumble as nothing but a battery wasting gimmick. Heard good things about its implementation in returnal and yeah, it's ok I guess. Left it on for awhile before disabling it.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I never turn it off since I like the feature but I am always afraid I'll break the triggers with the resistance.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Off. Dirt 5 immediately turned me off of this.
When do you drive in real life and have the gas pedal actively fight you back?
I get the brake, abs and hot discs and such. But gas pedal? Nah turn that gimmick off.

But thanks for the reminder to turn it on for the kids for Astro Bot.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
My first two dual sense controllers had their triggers become loose. Not even a year old. So, yeah, I sure a shit turned it off once I got my new ones.

Deleted member 20856

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I turned everything gimmicky off after playing through Astro's Playroom.
Turned it on again for Death Stranding and then it wrecked my R2 through peeing feedback. Never again.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I generally keep it on, even on shooting games so long as they're not competitive multiplayer titles.

With that said, I turned it off in Dying Light 2. It just feels hard to press the buttons all the time and it gets quite tiring honestly.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
So far, I tend to turn it off.

I dont mind it in Astro's Playroom, but so far it has made the controller feel kind of Awkward, imbalanced, and kind of tiring in Uncharted and some of the other shooters. It works ok in Returnal though.

Oct 25, 2017
So far, I've turned it off for every game that's used it.
Just makes shooting harder for no reason.
Even FFXIV uses it for those little shooting minigames.

It's case by case though, so if I encounter it used well, I'll leave it on.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I love the adaptive triggers but I had to turn it off in what feels like a third of games that use it and they were all shooters. The feedback is cool and all until you're playing worse because it's taking too long to pull the trigger down. Stop having the resistance so high for fucks sake.

BTW, if you're playing the PS5 version of Cyberpunk, turn trigger intensity to its lowest setting. It's perfect there.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
Turned it off since I had to buy a new controller due to how weak the trigger springs are

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
People are going to start realizing that there are many repetitive strain syndromes you can get from this kind of activity.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
As with extra graphical fidelity, I tend to stop noticing the effect of it after playing for awhile, so I end up turning it off.

The dualsense already has a shit battery life, I don't trust the trigger build quality, and I work with my hands and already have all kinds of cramping/muscle issues, so I'd rather not make things worse by choosing to put myself through extra repetitive strain.

I also tend to think it's just pretty gimmicky. The novelty wore off before I even finished astrobot. That first hour was pretty magical though.

terrible1fi

Jun 4, 2019
It for sure gets turned off for everything but racing games. Why would you want resistance on your trigger in a game like call of duty? Literally fights against you pulling the trigger which contributes to losing gunfights.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Not me, I adore it, the only game that made me close to do it was the excessive Sniper weapon resistance in REVIII because of the SS Ranks in mercenaries, even then I did it,since then no complaints from the feature.

Both Adaptive Triggers and Haptic Feedback greatly improved my gaming experience

greenhadoken

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone else feel like they are 'breaking' the triggers when you're pushing against the resistance? When I try and work with the adaptive triggers it always gives me that feeling. The noises they make, the sudden give after the resistance, sometimes it feels like it registers sometimes it doesn't...something is off for me. It's not my controller as both controllers I own have the same feeling and on my friends' PS5s I also have the same experience.

The one that felt really bad to me in particular was web slinging in Miles Morales, the squishy feeling of the buttons mixed with the horrible audio quality coming out of the controller speakers mixed with the triggers and effect only working 80% or so of the time.

Anyways, I'm reading this thread and I'm just like what am I doing wrong? I really want to enjoy this feature, but as it is now I would argue it's the biggest let down with the PS5