• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How is the noise of your PS5 while playing a game AND TV/speakers muted?

• Noticeable noise - Fan

Votes: 122 6.1%
  • Noticeable noise - Coil whine

Votes: 249 12.5%
  • Noticeable noise - Unsure as to the source

Votes: 120 6.0%
  • Noise only noticeable when close (<1m) to the unit

Votes: 575 28.9%
  • No discernible noise, even when close

Votes: 923 46.4%

• Total voters

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I've got coil whine. Orientation of the console doesn't matter, it only alters the acoustics due to its positioning. I sit a few feet away, but can hear it from further than that.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Mine has been dead silent. I've been finally playing Days Gone and God of War with no noise at all from the console. I put my PS4 in the kids room and can definitely hear the fan noise as tha system starts up and runs, but my PS5 hasn't made a peep.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Appreciate the responses all. Seems mine might be an outlier which is annoying. Can hear a constant and noticeable low rumble or dull rattling from ~10ft away, as though something isn't quite tightened enough. Stood vertical, disc version (but digital game) and open air around it. When the volume is on it's not noticeable until I listen for it but still not ideal knowing that many out there are silent as a stone. Unsure on how to handle a replacement (ordered from Amazon UK) as don't really want to be stuck in the free-for-all trying to get one again, but at the same time feels like I should try and get a silent one is this noise level is abnormal right out the gate. Have tried removing stand + side panels but no change.

Sucks, but at least everything else is nice. Won't stop me from enjoying Demon's Souls (which is insane that it's a launch title) and Spider-Man for now though. Just annoying to have to navigate how to get a swap without putting myself in the "will I get one?" medley again.
I mean if you can't hear it while the volume is on, why let it bother you? Unless you're worried it'll get worse, I say just forget about it.

Oct 27, 2017
Mine makes noise but I can't tell what it is. I don't know what coil whine sounds like (doesn't sounds like a whine whatever it is) but doesn't sound like fans either. Console is behind my TV and I have to mute my TV to hear it. So I don't think it really matters imo.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Absurdly quiet almost all the time. When the disc spins you can hear that, obviously. But outside of the disk spinning (which is still very quiet), it only rarely makes any sound at all (and that is super quiet, too). It is very impressive how quiet this system is.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Digital Edition has been whisper quiet and pretty flawless.

So far platinumed Astrobot and finished Miles Morales. Next up is Demon's Souls and Sackboy.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Mine is almost completely silent.
I can hear it if I'm right next to it, but have never noticed it while actually playing. It's extremely quiet.

Digital Edition, vertical w/stand.

stormplyr

Oct 29, 2017
I have a disc version in vertical position on the stand. Playing AC Valhalla I can hear the fan making a buzzing type noise probably from 10 feet away. It's actually kind of annoying. I didn't notice it while playing COD or Miles Morales.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I mean if you can't hear it while the volume is on, why let it bother you? Unless you're worried it'll get worse, I say just forget about it.
Bit of both honestly. There will be times I'll be playing with the volume lower and then I can hear it, and if the majority are silent and mine is audible from over 10ft away then that's a fair difference. There is the concern of it growing over time too. Essentially just would rather not have one making a clear and constant noise when most aren't.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
A man with universal taste. I am the same.
1457975259-armwrestle.gif

Even got my platinum in Bugsnax and Astro's

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I can only hear a gentle whir when I get close to the console. Slightly more audible in NBA 2K21, but still very quiet overall.

DGxO

Oct 21, 2018
My PS5 fluctuates seemingly at random from complete silence to horrible coil whine and the fan spinning up to max speed for a brief moments. Not happy with the noise experience so far

I've realized that when it makes noises like this, if I put my hand on the console and provide a bit of force the noise is heavily dampened, so I'm guessing it's some loose panels that are rattling?

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Disc drive is loud when it spins up. It spins up randomly every 30 min even if you're playing a game that has nothing to do with what's in the drive.

SevenOfRhyme

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Vertical digital version here. A very faint hum that I know is there but I can't really hear it when playing games. Honestly, just sounds like air being pushed out the vents.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
Title didn't match poll question so I didn't answer accurately I guess. No noise noticeable when playing with speakers on, muted I can hear slight coil whine but nothing bothersome.

Another completely different issue is the weed whacker sounding fan that fires up when booting up the console or reading a disc, and SOMETIMES once during a game session (installed from disc) for a few seconds. It is appalling how absurdly loud it is. I don't understand how they couldn't get something to work more quietly.

Edit: Actually always thought it was the disc drive because it only happens in situations where the disc should be spinning (console handshake when booting up a game, installing from disc). It just truly blows my mind if a freaking disc drive can sound like that, but it makes more sense than a fan.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Digital Edition, Vertical. Slight fan noise when muted, audible up to 5ft where I am sitting.

Edit: When playing Spider Man Miles Morales

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
The disk drive is loud when installing a game. Otherwise I can't really hear it at all. Kinda sounds like a box fan on the absolute lowest setting.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
The only noise I can hear from mine is from the disc drive. My PS4 was pretty quiet itself but the PS5 and XSX are amazing.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In game its almost silent but funnily enough when I exit to the UI or start downloading something it goes into overdrive for some reason (only for about 10 seconds) it's kinda weird

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
hums like my ps4 when i pull it out of rest mode (i'm assuming it's the disc in the system?) but then completely silent after about 30 seconds, even when playing my physical copy of demon souls

Bazz Bazz

Feb 5, 2020
You should ad an option to the answers : Only noise from dic.
But in-game, pretty noisy.
  • Vertical
  • Disc version
  • 2m
  • AC Valhalla + Demon's Souls

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Was scared as hell while reading the threads on Era.. but I have a PS5 that is absolutely silent (except when it reads a disc on startup) and oddly enough from time to time every couple hours when it randomly reads the disc drive for 10 sec then stops. BUT.. this is unreal to me. After having a Pro make such a hideous sound every time I played something.. this is a miracle!

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Ignore the clock ticking but that repeat rattling sound is what's audible. Obviously not as loud from 10ft away relative to that close but it's the same noise but more muted and very much something you can hear. This is just while sat on the title screen of Spider-Man Remastered, gets louder when you play like Demon's Souls.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Coil whine. I can hear it from sitting distance when the room is quiet, like a quiet part in a game. Even with headphones on since they're not closed back. During normal game volume I obviously can't hear it. Up close I can literally pinpoint the sound to the power supply area. Going back to dashboard and the noise stops. Back to game it starts again.

My Series X on the other hand is disturbingly silent, even from 6 inches. I have to put my hand over the vent to feel the heat and confirm it's actually working.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Noticeable coil whine but not annoyingly loud. Well, that's just how my luck goes I suppose 😥. Luckily, I mostly play with headphones on.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
It's quiet unless the disc starts spinning. Such a welcome change from my PS4 pro which has the loudest (as in most annoying) fan I've ever encountered in consumer electronics/computers.

I don't hear any high pitched coil whine and hope that it stays that way.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
The disc drive being noisy when reading to install games is both unavoidable and acceptable given the speed the drive can spin ( 10x CAV= 8,000 rpm?). So long as it doesn't spin right up periodically to do the disc check during gaming!

I would be more worried about getting a noticeable coil whine/buzz TBH. That would drive me mad. Looks like I won't be getting a PS5 until well into next year now so hopefully any issue here is resolved in newer batches.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I sit about six feet away from the console. Even muted, I can't hear the fan at all. My unit doesn't have coil whine. Edit: Physical version, sitting horizontally.

The only time I hear it is when the disc is spinning. This mostly just happens while booting games, but it does happen every so often during gameplay as well. And it can actually be pretty noticeable. It's only happened during quieter moments in games so far for me, but I think I'd probably notice it during intense moments too. I've played Astro's Playroom, Bugsnax, Persona 5 Royal, Spider-Man and Spider-Man: Miles Morales so far.

So long as it doesn't spin right up periodically to do the disc check during gaming!
It does! It's nowhere near as loud during these moments, though.

Last edited:

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
The number who have noticeable noise is not insignificant considering the sample size so far. I remember plenty of people claiming their Pro was "whisper quiet" too.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
Ignore the clock ticking but that repeat rattling sound is what's audible. Obviously not as loud from 10ft away relative to that close but it's the same noise but more muted and very much something you can hear. This is just while sat on the title screen of Spider-Man Remastered, gets louder when you play like Demon's Souls.

This is the exact noise level and sound I get on my PS5 standard, but I have to stick my head as close as you were to take that video for me to hear it.i do have a PC tower and a ceiling fan in the room so that probably help drown the noise a little bit.