• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How is the noise of your PS5 while playing a game AND TV/speakers muted?

• Noticeable noise - Fan

Votes: 122 6.1%
  • Noticeable noise - Coil whine

Votes: 249 12.5%
  • Noticeable noise - Unsure as to the source

Votes: 120 6.0%
  • Noise only noticeable when close (<1m) to the unit

Votes: 575 28.9%
  • No discernible noise, even when close

Votes: 923 46.4%

• Total voters

Shorty11857

Oct 25, 2017
Is some noise when I'm really close but also I'll never be that close to the console so it's essentially silent

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
169735.gif

can't hear a thing except when it first starts loading the disc, and then nothing

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both my PS5 and Series X are dead silent. Haven't heard a single sound out of either of them. Pretty amazing!

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Silent, though in longer sessions occasionally it will sound like the fan is preparing for takeoff for like 20 seconds, and then it will be silent again.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Appreciate the responses all. Seems mine might be an outlier which is annoying. Can hear a constant and noticeable low rumble or dull rattling from ~10ft away, as though something isn't quite tightened enough. Stood vertical, disc version (but digital game) and open air around it. When the volume is on it's not noticeable until I listen for it but still not ideal knowing that many out there are silent as a stone. Unsure on how to handle a replacement (ordered from Amazon UK) as don't really want to be stuck in the free-for-all trying to get one again, but at the same time feels like I should try and get a silent one is this noise level is abnormal right out the gate. Have tried removing stand + side panels but no change.

Sucks, but at least everything else is nice. Won't stop me from enjoying Demon's Souls (which is insane that it's a launch title) and Spider-Man for now though. Just annoying to have to navigate how to get a swap without putting myself in the "will I get one?" medley again.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing a lot of people saying it's silent. So far I've only played through Astrobot but I can absolutely hear the system running, similar to my PS4 Pro just not quite as loud but similar sound profile, when there's no sound playing from my speakers. I sit 9 ft away. Is my system from a bad batch, or are people saying it's silent cause they can't hear it over their speakers?

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Vertical, coil whine when playing games. In menus it's silent.

When installing games the fan kicks up for like 5 seconds and then goes back to silence.

It is such an upgrade from the ps4 pro I had though

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
Mine is dead silent. I'm sure if I put my head to it I would hear something. I also have it in a cabinet with the back open, so I get 0 noise.

Marjorine

Oct 27, 2017
I am unaware it is on. I don't use discs, tho, but I do have the disc version due to it being the only one I could preorder.

Very quiet console at my house. If I mute the TV and absolutely listen to it? Sure. There is some noise. I never notice it with volume on. And I have been listening for noise, because my original PS Pro was the loudest console I have ever owned.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
Only the disc drive spinning up now and then, otherwise I have to get right up on the system to even hear the low fan hum.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is it's quite while it's running but I hear the hum of the fans while it's i rest mode where I can can't sleep, so I shut it down completely.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As most of have said, I occasionally will hear the disc drive spin for a few seconds, but other than that it's dead silent. If I literally put my ear against it I can hear some humming and that is about it.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Mine is fairly loud. When playing games I get noticeable fan noise AND some humming/buzzing (coil whine?) from the power supply. It's not so loud that it bothers me, and I'm not concerned about it, but I do wish it was quieter.

Brocky120

Banned
Feb 6, 2020
Mine is real bad. Digital edition stand, got it delivered today, can hear the coil whine/buzzing from 2/3 metres away in a silent room.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I picked the last one. Sometimes the disc drive spins up and can be pretty loud, but haven't noticed it otherwise.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played a disc game yet but my console is silent when playing digital stuff.

Also it's sitting vertical w/ the stand.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Super silent, don't hear a thing. The disc drive will wind up when installing, but otherwise nothing, thankfully.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
My projector is quite a bit louder and even that isn't exactly loud. I don't hear much from the PS5 unless there's a disc it's working with, so I'm super happy right now.

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
for me there is only noise when it's accessing the disc drive, but it does this at random times not just when the game is first started, kind of annoying.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Need to have an option or something that asks if someone is playing a game that has a disk in the system. I only hear my system when I am playing Demon's Souls since I went physical with that. It does get a little noisy with the disk in the system but it is not terrible. Without a disk my system is silent.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Just the disc drive spinning fast is loud, otherwise i have to almost stick my head inside the grills to hear anything else(gentle fan whirring)

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I can't say it's entirely silent. It was never going to be. Same with the series X. But I can't hear it unless i get right up on it without any game audio or anything. Basically if I'm trying my best to hear something. I can.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
I hear the air blowing out the back vents while playing Destiny 2. I have to mute the sound and be silent in my room to hear it tho, and im about 12 feet away from my tv and PS5.
In comparison to the Pro, i could hear that thing from the next room over, so better but not perfect.

Junker

Oct 27, 2017
Mines a disc version, horizontal, and largely silent except like others said when it's accessing the disc drive. However, when I put it in rest mode after playing a half hour or so, the console starts popping and cracking kinda loudly. Startled me the first time.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Vertical position with digital edition. Even up close I don't hear anything.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Disc console, Horizonal in a close backed tv stand. I can hear the fan faintly. It's whisper quiet compared to ps4.
Every half hour or so the console spins up the disc, probably a verification procedure.

I'm very happy with it

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Mine has coil whine, but it is not as auditive as my PS4Pro´s coil whine. in standby/sitting in the main console menu you have to put an ear on the console to hear it.

it maintains one frequency and doesn´t shift, it is a very low buzzing sound. i have very sensitive hearing so it wouldn´t be very audible to other people. fans are barely audible at all. the coil whine comes from the PSU.

MordinSolus

May 1, 2020
Have my disc version horizontal about 6-7 feet away from where I sit and I can't hear anything at all from there. When I purposely got close to it to try to listen I could hear a low buzzing, which is I guess the coil whine thing people have talked about? But it's so low even with game audio muted from where I sit I can't hear it. Haven't played a disc game yet so can't comment on the drive.

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Appreciate the responses all. Seems mine might be an outlier which is annoying. Can hear a constant and noticeable low rumble or dull rattling from ~10ft away, as though something isn't quite tightened enough. Stood vertical, disc version (but digital game) and open air around it. When the volume is on it's not noticeable until I listen for it but still not ideal knowing that many out there are silent as a stone. Unsure on how to handle a replacement (ordered from Amazon UK) as don't really want to be stuck in the free-for-all trying to get one again, but at the same time feels like I should try and get a silent one is this noise level is abnormal right out the gate. Have tried removing stand + side panels but no change.

Sucks, but at least everything else is nice. Won't stop me from enjoying Demon's Souls (which is insane that it's a launch title) and Spider-Man for now though. Just annoying to have to navigate how to get a swap without putting myself in the "will I get one?" medley again.
What is your fan type ? I have checked and tested so far up to today 5 PS5s ( 2 are mine and 3 from friends ) all playing cod which is a game that always push system due to its graphics and 60fps etc
From the 5 I tested :
- the best one is a Nidec fan. It has the same 8 shape squares or rectangular shapes when you open the cover . This ps5 you couldn't even hear anything ( aside from of course the slight buzzing from coil wine which is normal . Even Xbox one x had it and I exchanged 3 of those back in the day )

- delta fan so far has been also impressively quite . It has 12 of those shaped rectangular and also I can't hear anything. It's shape is also very unique . The blades don't go all the way from center to the edge. Only from the edge to middle of the fan. Leaving the centered middle with no blades. Making it very quite upon testing . Like super quite too.
-The only one that I did hear it whirl and it was kinda annoying when it ramps up with the new model fan. The same one that official tear down video shows. That has too many blades and it's flat out annoying .
The one from tronixfix or whatever his name is has the delta fan if you wanna watch his video and that fan is so far superb

Unlike most people here I almost dedicate my self just for fans and quite consoles because I am really ocd and allergic to it. Anything unusual sound and I won't sleep at night thinking about it and how bad my luck is if I had one lol.

the Nidec fan seems rare since out of the 5 consoles only 1 had it and 2 of the other. So I am keeping that for collecting purposes after made sure it works perfectly fine .
The one I am using is delta and it's like I said super quite .
All my testing was done in a quite living room with window closed and tv muted while playing a game . And very close to the system ( 1 meter or less )

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Other than BD noise from installing media, my PS5 has been silent. I did hear something that sounded like a fan when turning it on the other day, but I did have a disk in as well so that might have been the PS5 just indexing the disk.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I have mine laying flat with it's stand, disc edition. When the disc drive spins occasionally it can be a little noisy for a moment but otherwise it's very quiet. If I get close to the console I can probably hear the fans spinning quietly.

Sundrowned

Oct 27, 2017
MN
Not responding to the poll because I'm never that close to my consoles, but I haven't heard any audible noise from the PS5 or the Series X while playing games and I've put dozens of hours into both consoles already.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Disc version horizontal. It's basically silent except for a few times where you can hear the disc being read, but it's not often enough for it to be a problem at all. When playing digital games it's silent unless you get right up next to it then you can hear some very faint noise, but not much at all.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
I have the disc version vertical. I hear zero noise at all. I have not actually played anything on disc, though. Everything I've played so far has been digital.

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
Silent for mine, I even muted everything and strained to hear anything and nope. I also didn't hear the disc drive when installing miles and valhalla either so bonus.
Got it vertical to.
So far its as quiet as my series x.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty damn quiet for me. I've played Demon's Souls, Astro's Playroom, Cold War and THPS1+2 on it so far.