• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Inti

Nov 20, 2017
Niiiiice! I remember the 360 had this, or a lt least something similar, but it didn't work on all games and became kind of moot, since I still had to go and set them individually. Hopefully this one works as intended, would love that as a Y axis inverted player.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
That's cool but it changes nothing because i will always check if the Game defaulted to those settings.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Devs have to bother and they didn't when this existed for difficulty, camera, racing controls, etc on 360 just like this. It's not new.

Neither is Gamepass but that doesn't really change anything. If you do something better it's still valuable. It doesn't need to be new.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but the PS5 can't automatically change the settings via the system-level toggle. It has to be coded in by devs.
who's to say this won't be part of the certification process for every game? that every game has to work with the entire system from going to the UI when pressing the PS button to changing the difficulty according to the settings in the system?

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
6d2.png

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how vastly different difficulty is designed between games or how they implement some of these feature, this is pretty useless for the most part honestly.

Most difficulty settings are just "Very Easy, Easy, Medium, Hard, Super Hard" in some form. Most games aren't doing what TLOU2 did with its various difficulty settings, not even close.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS started this with the 360 for look inversion, and then just abandoned it for whatever reason on the XB1.

This is really cool and I hope it gives them a kick up the ass to add the same.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
It was a good feature on the 360, but why did MS drop it? Does there need to be some sort of developer support.

Like for TLOU2 if I set my presets to "hard" how will it distinguish between that and Grounded?

Not a big fan of this idea, but as long as you can turn it off, there's no harm done.

Each game is too different to merit a system-wide setting. This seems like it assumes games are all similar.

I'm quite surprised at all the positive feedback this is getting - pragmatically speaking, I expected more people to tweak their settings on a per game basis.

Akusar

Oct 27, 2017
You say that one aspect is more complicated, and I agree, but that means the whole thing is useless? I'm unclear how that makes sense.
Not the whole thing. Stuff like camera options and subtitles/language is pretty neat. But game specific things like difficulty and performance mode depends too much one the individual games. An universal option for these does not make much sense in my opinion.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
I am failing to see how you are seeing this as a bad thing. Presets are there for a baseline of how you play. You can then tweak per game just like now.

No one is saying it's a bad thing. So chill out. All I'm saying is that the difficulty setting is not really helpful as different games vary greatly in regards to difficulty period and the labels that those difficulties carry. You must be mistaking me for someone else who's complaining about the whole thing. Sheesh.

Can't even critique without people making blanket statements about your opinion.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Devs don't have to utilize it lol. Most of these are in every single game.
Devs still will have to make the hooks into the OS to see what settings to take.

On the other hand, it isn't really analogous to the DualSense because it's just having to read data in a straight forward way. Don't have to come up with ideas on how to get it put together. It's super straightforward for pretty much every game.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
The only problem I see with this is how it handles differing options among games. For example, if a game has three performance modes like dirt 3, what would it choose if you select performance in the ps5 menu? Same with difficulty, what if one game has two difficulty modes and another has 5? Devs could standardize what they do I guess, but I could see them not doing so, even though it would be nice.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
This is another Dualsense trigger situation imo. I don't know how often or how widely devs are going to implement this, so you just have to wait and see.

It reminds me of this feature on my old Samsung Smart TV that allowed you to see more info on ads that play on certain channels or something like that, and it stopped being supported after a couple of months.
This could easily be enforced during certification.

Wakka212

Oct 30, 2017
Dude even if the controller and these settings apply to first / second / third-party exclusives...that is enough games for me to really enjoy, especially considering the quality output on playstation exclusives.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Considering how vastly different difficulty is designed between games or how they implement some of these feature, this is pretty useless for the most part honestly.
How is it "pretty useless"? Almost every game with selectable difficulties has the concept of "normal", many also have "easy" and "hard". If you want to play all games at what their developers consider "normal", then this would be a good option for that so you don't have to go into settings to change it. Most people don't micromanage difficulty, look up what all the differences are and choose that way, they just look at the names of the difficulty modes and choose one. Me for example, the only times I ever choose anything other than "Normal" on my first experience in a game is if I specifically read somewhere that the game is too easy, and much more fun on higher difficulties. And in that case I could still go in and change it as I desire.
It was a good feature on the 360, but why did MS drop it? Does there need to be some sort of developer support.

Like for TLOU2 if I set my presets to "hard" how will it distinguish between that and Grounded?
The game would be programmed to choose which difficulty matches up with the "hard" preset. These are really only for setting default settings.