• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
No competitor had SSD's 'confirmed'. SSD's were certainly rumored but with big caveats to their implementation. It was a hot topic of discussion.

Now Sony is out here dropping this SSD tech and suddenly it's old hat and totally expected for them to do so. It's nonsense. It's great to hear that the tech is real, feasible and inside the next PS5 regardless of what competitors are doing.

Totally.

Undoubtedly the coming 9 months would have been an absolute mess of FUD for Sony had they not clarified some things. It was already starting on some fronts. Things were not being taken as for-granted as some are suggesting now in hindsight, at all. There's always a cohort unwilling to give any benefit of the doubt, so it's good to have things like BC cleared up for example.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
It's just a new, more powerful, more versatile PlayStation.

arianas8jwj.gif

This isn't a criticism. It's literally what Playstation gamers want.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
It's a bold move. Microsoft can now easily outperform the PS5 specs wise and we know MS won't release a weak console ever again.

Sure, MS could release a more powerful system but at what cost? Even enthusiasts would be reluctant to buy a $600 console (might as well go PC), and I doubt MS is willing to take more than a $100 loss per unit; in which case, the two systems should be fairly similar spec wise. It'll then come down to consoles' secret sauce, services, and 1st party games to be the differentiators.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I meant no offense. Your articles and choice of words are a bit too slanted for my taste. All the power to you if you, or anyone wants to fanboy over a brand, but I'm less inclined to take those opinions serious since there's a heavy bias in it.

Haha, none taken. We've always been proud to be a fan site. My view on this is that we're on the pulse when Sony does things that we don't necessarily agree with because we care about the brand.

Funnily enough, we also get criticised for going too hard, so I guess you just can't please everyone.

Venom.

Oct 26, 2017
London
...I think the fact that it came out of absolutely no where was a masterstroke. They kept the mystery of the console while quelling key fears, and they're now driving the next-gen discussion when practically every single person on this forum expected Microsoft to do that.

It certainly turned out to be a marketing success because of the reaction online. And yes it was a surprise. Think back to the start of this gen. January 2013 and Major Nelson posts a tweet with a timer until E3 and everyone loses their shit with excitement because it was common knowledge that Microsoft were going to reveal their new console. Then a few days later Sony drop the trailer with all that electricity announcing the PlayStation event in February, which was the PS4 reveal. So, looking back. You could say it is a deliberate tactic by Sony to be associated with initiating the next-generation conversation - and that's worked.

Deleted member 50969

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
Sure, MS could release a more powerful system but at what cost? Even enthusiasts would be reluctant to buy a $600 console (might as well go PC), and I doubt MS is willing to take more than a $100 loss per unit; in which case, the two systems should be fairly similar spec wise. It'll then come down to consoles' secret sauce, services, and 1st party games to be the differentiators.

How do you know this?

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
With the PS5, Sony is planning to reenter a marketplace that's in a constant state of flux, with no stated plans to do anything but offer more of the same. It currently enjoys a massive share of the console market, so why not? Nothing is broken on Sony's end, so there's nothing to fix. It's the mark of a secure, seasoned competitor that's actually learned from past mistakes, when the last few console generations have all been marked by one company joyfully throwing its lead away at launch.

I love how this kind of article never explain the reasons why Ps4 is the market leader beyond "MS made some mistakes".

Son: papa, about the ps4, it sold a lot
Father: yes, it did son
Son: how they did that ?
Fater: Don Mattrick brought from space

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony starts with a 100M userbase invested with physical and digital purchases. None of the competitors start at 0.
That's like saying the 3DS had an inbuilt audience of 154 million. It didn't.

When you're selling a new platform precious purchases mean nothing. People abandoned PS2 for Xbox 360, even though the PS3 had an emotion engine.

You need to SELL consoles, so yes, Sony and MS both start from 0 consoles sold.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Genius? nahh. Lots of this stuff was already expected.

Logically it all makes sense.

But people aren't logical. I was seeing frequent conversation, laced with doubt and worry, about whether PS5 would be backwards compatible. For one example.

We can pretend everyone was acting rationally and giving Sony the benefit of the doubt on execution all along - and thus this was all rather meaningless - or we can appreciate that it was wise to clear the air officially. Which I think it was. ('Genius' is another matter altogether of course...but let's not get bogged down in a common turn of phrase.)

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
They have revealed quite a bit more than MS has regarding the console itself. So I don't think it's fair to say they only matched it. They took a different approach than what MS has been doing and it was a smart move. Now the pressure will be on MS to produce a competitive product while also alleviating some of the concerns surrounding the PS5.

Think about what we know though. We know PS5 is coming and it will be strong and have backwards compatibility. Literally the same as Xbox. SSD was out of left field and I'll given them credit for that. Loading times just seems like an odd focus. There is no pressure on MS. Sony just gave more detailed descriptions of things we know MS is doing. Aside from the SSD.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
The fact that it existed at all. That was all they needed to do. And now Sony had to do this. They couldn't just say PS5 is coming. Their silence and other actions drummed up too many theories and conspiracies. They addressed BC, which MS set a standard for this gen and already said is the rule going forward. They addressed power sort of, which MS already committed to with the One X. They quelled fears, while as I keep saying, not really saying anything. Sure PS5 will be strong but how strong? It will have BC with PS4 but what about everything else? Like other desperately needed network and service features? We don't even know if it will have a 4K Blu-ray player that the Pro should've had.

Microsoft might have been up front about the existence of a next gen console but that doesn't take away from all info Sony revealed yesterday morning. They actually set a precedent for pre-event info going forward.

They addressed BC because it's possible, they're committed to powerful platforms, evident by the launch of base PS4 and Pro.

Saying that Sony has not really said anything is just plain false.

You're asking questions that will eventually get answered. One thing you can be certain of, it will have a 4K Blu-ray player.

They matched what we already know about the next Xbox. That's really it in my eyes.

That's rather cynical, no? You can't honestly compare confirmed official info with insider leaks.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
How do you know this?

To believe that MS is willing to give away more than $100 is, IMO, wishful thinking. MS as a whole certainly has money; but how much are they willing to give away for market share?

Sony took a loss of $241.35 per PS3 at launch; they were literally bleeding money. They made sure PS4 could be launched with a loss that could be made up with a game and PS+ membership. Now that Sony has a stable funding line via Playstation Network at the tune of $1 billion revenue/month (https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/0...-high-in-2018-topped-nintendo-and-xbox-totals ), have a 2:1 console sales ratio over XBOX, and have PS4 BC, they likely have the confidence to subsidize more with the PS5 since they're not starting from square 1 again.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Totally.

Undoubtedly the coming 9 months would have been an absolute mess of FUD for Sony had they not clarified some things. It was already starting on some fronts. Things were not being taken as for-granted as some are suggesting now in hindsight, at all. There's always a cohort unwilling to give any benefit of the doubt, so it's good to have things like BC cleared up for example.
Indeed the confirmation of ray tracing and SSD are GDDR5 esque megatons. They also indirectly confirm a powerful GPU since the console is bound to be $499 after the addition of SSD and the need to support ray tracing. No 8 tflops AMD Gonzolo GPU is wasting precious GPU resources on ray tracing.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I think pulling out of E3 will be amazing for the culture eventually, when we're at a point where every manufacturer/publisher just shows stuff when they want to show stuff instead of having to plan around this summer info-dump with every competitor hogging the spotlight with you.

I'm surprised you feel that way. I enjoy the spectacle of E3 and I think it can really boost visibility for great titles. Even top highlighted Indies get a lot more eyeballs than they normally would. Folks not interested in smaller titles tune in to get their meat (AAA) but also get a side of vegetables (indie).

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I love how this kind of article never explain the reasons why Ps4 is the market leader beyond "MS made some mistakes".

Son: papa, about the ps4, it sold a lot
Father: yes, it did son
Son: how they did that ?
Fater: Don Mattrick brought from space
lol it's nothing shady, idk if you're insinuating that or what but from my perspective it's like everyone already knows the story of how Microsoft fumbled a whole generation, so it probably doesn't need to be explained every time it's mentioned lest it imply things about the author's intent

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was pretty smart. genius could be a case of different opinion or just hyperbole.

When they launched the PS3, their PR was bumbling and inadequate. They got savaged n press and popular opinion. When was the PS4 they somehow became masterful at it. And it wasn't in a try-hard brute-force way. They made it look easy.

Things have changed since then and it appears that they may be going what's the further in that same direction. Being more low-key. Perhaps it's to make the easiest generational transition yet; big tool inside a present the PlayStation line as more of a continuous rollout of machines and games.

It might even be temporary. Maybe they're just going dark for a bit because absence makes the heart grow fonder.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What does this matter? Sony said it first?
Ray tracing in video games have been talked about

microsoft won last gen when it mattered, Sony caught up in the end but at that time Microsoft was still the one to beat.....until Mattrick happened.

Gamepass and X-Cloud will pick up the slack and right now they will the ones offering more avenues to experience next gen. (PC, multiple xbox's and mobile with x cloud). Right now Microsoft has the better services, Sony will have to step up there and offer competitive solutions.

Physical box sales won't be the only indicator of success next gen.
Is xcloud available for consumers? Gamepass is not really anything special, Sony can easily out gun ms here they have far better content that they can make available.

Fact is at the beginning of the gen people will be more inclined to buy console where they have already invested in digital content and physical content. Wether xcloud or psnow take over the world is yet to be seen

Deleted member 32309

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Indeed the confirmation of ray tracing and SSD are GDDR5 esque megatons. They also indirectly confirm a powerful GPU since the console is bound to be $499 after the addition of SSD and the need to support ray tracing. No 8 tflops AMD Gonzolo GPU is wasting precious GPU resources on ray tracing.

nothing here make 4kpr with dedicated stuff for ray tracing out of possibilities.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
It's a bold move. Microsoft can now easily outperform the PS5 specs wise and we know MS won't release a weak console ever again.

This is not how things work. There isn't much a company can do this late in development to one-up the competition in terms of specs. These things get locked down pretty early. You'll also notice that Sony didn't reveal any hard numbers, such as processing power or clock speeds. That's because there still is likely room to adjust clocks depending on the cooling solution they end up with, and possibly even depending on what MS reveals.

Also, it's very likely that the next Xbox is using extremely similar components, so the real difference will come down to clock speeds in the end. We'll see what MS is doing for their storage and audio solutions, or if their chips are similarly customized.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
lmao luigiera what are you insinuating here
Well, nothing really
The author says that Sony is going to do just "more of the same", but he doesn't explain what is "the same", doesn't explain why Ps4 is the market leader

everyone knows the story of how Microsoft fumbled a whole generation, it doesn't need to be explained every time it's mentioned lest it imply bias on the part of the author
While I do believe the author is biased my complaint was more about most articles ignoring the success of Sony first party, ignore the existance of PsVR and PsNow (see my posts)

lol it's nothing shady, idk if you're insinuating that or what but from my perspective it's like everyone already knows the story of how Microsoft fumbled a whole generation, so it probably doesn't need to be explained every time it's mentioned lest it imply things about the author's intent
no, you got it wrong (maybe because me and my english skills)
They don't have to explain again, we know
they should explain beyond that the reasons why people continue to buy Ps4's almost 6 years later

Last edited:

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Haha... the casual nature of the reveal of PS5 seems to have shook some of you to the soul.

Yes they were... they absolutely were. We've been inundated with "MS poised to dominate next gen" rhetoric for at least the past year. Plenty of people drank that kool aid hard, so this is likely proving to be a bit of a wake-up call for them.

Yeah, people have been claiming for a while that next gen will somehow be a sure thing for Xbox and that PlayStation stands no chance.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit surprised I haven't seen a single one of my friends talking about. Nobody commented on it when I posted it in our local group, and neither of my two diehard PlayStation friends have responded when I sent them the info.

I can only assume that they need something visual before it hits home.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Nah. Genius is a bit generous. I'm honestly surprised how relatively subdued the overall reaction was.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Gotta agree with the majority of the topic here. Hyperbole at its finest. I mean I know, admitted fansite by Sammy himself and all, but some of these comments up in here from some superfans are just cringy.

I know it's been posted multiple times but this feels more reactionary and unlike Sony. Almost everything they mentioned was already highly rumored for Scarlet, right down to the SSD. In fact, the SSD discussion was doubled down by the highest Microsoft insiders and said to be for BOTH the expensive and cheaper Xbox, and the rumored SSD costs more than consoles themselves leading people to question the whole nature of the price point. Nonetheless, everyone agrees it still seems like Microsoft was controlling these leaks.

It seems like Sony just wanted to quell fear and be in the conversation with Stadia and Xbox, especially revealing this right before an Inside Xbox titled "Road to E3." I don't know how announcing highly rumored things the competition is doing along with actual things they are doing (BC) is leading any discussion; of course a new console info drop is going to be in the spotlight.

Lastly, the PS4 BC thing affirms my view because that seems like a megaton to drop at their own conference. I can't count the number of times I've seen posts where people say all Sony needs to do is announce BC and E3 is irrelevant, etc. I've always found that confusing because Sony has NO CHOICE but to have BC, whether they like it or not, because of the competition.

After what was sent to Nibel yesterday, it feels like this forum is going to implode come June, lol. I'll leave it at that.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
basically now that it is officially confirmed and people know it isn't coming out this year
plus the info of it being BC with the PS4 at least means that current owners of the PS4 or future consumers will see the MS E3 next gen blowout with the PS5 in the back of their mind wondering how it will compare etc...

the final say via a conference or whatever post MS's reveal but by also officially stating it exist prior to ease hearts from freaking out on what Sony is up to

they now at least know it is a traditional console

the BC part is the second most important news as it makes people who invested heavily in the PS4 or those who wished to get a PS4 due to its exclusives know that the transition to the PS5 will be more easy

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Yeah, people have been claiming for a while that next gen will somehow be a sure thing for Xbox and that PlayStation stands no chance.
Worse, Playstation Now doesn't exist for those:
Sony does run the risk of bringing a machine to market that's "just" a traditional games console, when other major players are focusing on redefining how games are played.

Feb 10, 2018
Microsoft might have been up front about the existence of a next gen console but that doesn't take away from all info Sony revealed yesterday morning. They actually set a precedent for pre-event info going forward.

They addressed BC because it's possible, they're committed to powerful platforms, evident by the launch of base PS4 and Pro.

Saying that Sony has not really said anything is just plain false.

You're asking questions that will eventually get answered. One thing you can be certain of, it will have a 4K Blu-ray player.

That's rather cynical, no? You can't honestly compare confirmed official info with insider leaks.

I agree Sony have the most info out until xbox reveals more then the pressure will be back on Sony.

AETOS

Nov 1, 2017
Sony shouldn't let 'victory laps' get to their head. Next gen is going to be a very different story. There will be no blunders or giveaways from MS and I doubt they will allow Sony to have the hardware advantage either. Plus Nintendo is back and killing it with Switch. There will be no runaway leader next gen now that competition is so fierce.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

Well, I don't know how meaningful RT will end up being, that's a little nebulous right now, but planting a flag on the concepts is useful.

I think most important in some ways was confirmation of BC though. I remember thinking right after their last financials that if they're really going to stay quiet this year, confirmation of BC alone would be wise, even if they just said nothing else.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I think we can determine how "genius" the move is after the console has released. Who knows, maybe when all is said and done this will be revealed to be a fumble. However, I would definitely say that the move has been positive so far.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
While it was a nice surprise to get some of this info early, the smartest thing Sony did was confirming PS4 and PSVR backwards compatibility.

They have a lot of people invested in their big exclusive games and PS+ this gen and now those people have a good reason to stick with PlayStation for next gen when they decide to upgrade to a next gen system.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Stroke of genius, Victory lap about an interview without any specific information about the hardware?

Thought I heard it all.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
They have a bit of a point. Shows how E3 is becoming less of a big deal. They dropped news on a slow tuesday and probably got more eyes on it than would have doing a 7 figure stage show

They 100 percent would not have. But any substantial news from any of the console manufacturers will make waves, and Sony's brand is particularly strong. So they can announce specs and plans in any form or fashion and have their many fans do the heavy lifting for them marketing wise.

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
E3 reveals are plastered all over the internet in minutes. I learned about this article just from ERA first. There certainly is a difference between E3 and an article. Even more the normal public.
You're having a laugh mate. My Chrome news feed has article after article about this PS5 reveal as well as YouTube and heaps of sites are running the story. Not everyone knows about an E3 conference.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
No competitor had SSD's 'confirmed'. SSD's were certainly rumored but with big caveats to their implementation. It was a hot topic of discussion.

Now Sony is out here dropping this SSD tech and suddenly it's old hat and totally expected for them to do so. It's nonsense. It's great to hear that the tech is real, feasible and inside the next PS5 regardless of what competitors are doing.
Thank you.

Some ppl are confusing rumors as fact.

Only thing spec wise officially announced about next gen consoles was done by Sony, AFAIK. Certainly not anything SSD related was officially announced until Mark Cerny did the article.

Only think that poster is right about is BC.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's like saying the 3DS had an inbuilt audience of 154 million. It didn't.

When you're selling a new platform precious purchases mean nothing. People abandoned PS2 for Xbox 360, even though the PS3 had an emotion engine.

You need to SELL consoles, so yes, Sony and MS both start from 0 consoles sold.

Previous purchases mean something if they carry over. Especially with the advent of service games.