• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Maybe ms revealing more is what Sony wants lol. Now Sony has got the ball rolling and put the basic stuff like powerful system, low loading times with ssd and thrown in raytracing, 8k buzzwords and cleared any concerns that people might have regarding Bc, they can just wait as long as possible to have their full reveal event and games launch lineup.
So they copied all the same promises and features their competitors already have or promised long ago and are in full catch-up mode. How is this interesting? It's also hypocritical of them when they spent an entire generation shitting on BC and how "that's not what our players want" only to come out and say "okay yeah they all have BC and people like it, so we caved and did it too but only for ps4."

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony did a smart thing getting in front of MS and announcing their specs. They stole the lime light right at the moment when MS was about to reveal the XBox All Digital console and made the gaming public both on here and on social media go nuts
I don't think that the All digital is a driver for Microsoft as you think it is. It's another option which is why it was quietly announced on a show that not many people watch rather than holding until E3. The mixer stream had 25k viewers when I was watching. If you think Sony were that shook by this console they had to talk PS5, well...
Microsoft's console sales trajectory is so far behind the Playstation. I don't how Microsoft should be capable of doing a far better job than Sony to beat them. There are no risky parts about the Playstation 5, it's just smart implementation.
What even is this post? I don't see why Microsoft's current gem sales matter for a generation where everyone starts at 0.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
By doing... what, exactly? Acquiescing to demands to have features that competitors already have that they spent an entire generation shitting all over because "it's not a valid business path and we'd rather develop new titles?" Or are people being swayed by "oooh SSD support" when the competitors already had SSD's confirmed as well for their next gen plans. Or is it the better 4K support that it lacked, but competitors also already had?

I'm not sure what tone or trajectory you think they've set, but all they've done is try to play catch-up

No competitor had SSD's 'confirmed'. SSD's were certainly rumored but with big caveats to their implementation. It was a hot topic of discussion.

Now Sony is out here dropping this SSD tech and suddenly it's old hat and totally expected for them to do so. It's nonsense. It's great to hear that the tech is real, feasible and inside the next PS5 regardless of what competitors are doing.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
I don't think that the All digital is a driver for Microsoft as you think it is. It's another option which is why it was quietly announced on a show that not many people watch rather than holding until E3. The mixer stream had 25k viewers when I was watching. If you think Sony were that shook by this console they had to talk PS5, well...
What even is this post? I don't see why Microsoft's current gem sales matter for a generation where everyone starts at 0.

Nothing starts at 0.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
By doing... what, exactly? Acquiescing to demands to have features that competitors already have that they spent an entire generation shitting all over because "it's not a valid business path and we'd rather develop new titles?"

This is beyond exaggeration. One comment from Jim Ryan doesn't equate to shitting all over this entire generation no matter how you put it.

Or are people being swayed by "oooh SSD support" when the competitors already had SSD's confirmed as well for their next gen plans.

Nothing is officially confirmed [next Xbox] except for insider stuff on forums.

Or is it the better 4K support that it lacked, but competitors also already had?

Pro doesn't lack 4K support.

I'm not sure what tone or trajectory you think they've set, but all they've done is try to play catch-up

Catch up to what exactly? Are we talking about BC, refund policy, console cross-play, or all of these?

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, tough crowd in here. Obviously I'm not suggesting that there's anything "genius" in a company giving a publication the exclusive scoop on its next-gen console, but I think the fact that it came out of absolutely no where was a masterstroke. They kept the mystery of the console while quelling key fears, and they're now driving the next-gen discussion when practically every single person on this forum expected Microsoft to do that.

You can disagree with the language I used, but I don't think I'm saying anything wildly controversial in this article.

Thanks for reading and commenting all the same! Haha!
A lot of people do not want to concede that. There has been a narrative going on for a while that Xbox was going to come roaring into nextgen and crush Sony (a little hyperbolic, but not much) because they felt that Sony's decisions and relative silence the last year means they have gotten "Arrogant" or some other bullshit and will rest on their laurels next gen.

Having this stuff confirmed, the PS5 being more of the same but better, the PS5 being backwards compatible, the PS5 being no hardware slouch, and Sony taking the reigns on the discourse for next gen shatters that narrative.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Wow, tough crowd in here. Obviously I'm not suggesting that there's anything "genius" in a company giving a publication the exclusive scoop on its next-gen console, but I think the fact that it came out of absolutely no where was a masterstroke. They kept the mystery of the console while quelling key fears, and they're now driving the next-gen discussion when practically every single person on this forum expected Microsoft to do that.

You can disagree with the language I used, but I don't think I'm saying anything wildly controversial in this article.

Thanks for reading and commenting all the same! Haha!

The problem here is that Microsoft was already driving the discussion. We've known about Xbox scarlet since last year. Known about it and known it aims to be the best console out the gate. Sony was quiet and now they responded.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Sony starts with a 100M userbase invested with physical and digital purchases. None of the competitors start at 0.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The problem here is that Microsoft was already driving the discussion. We've known about Xbox scarlet since last year. Known about it and known it aims to be the best console out the gate. Sony was quiet and now they responded.

Fair enough, but they're no longer driving the discussion in any way, shape, or form. Sony has totally taken control of this conversation, in the most unexpected way possible. Again, I think it was a masterstroke.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
So they copied all the same promises and features their competitors already have or promised long ago and are in full catch-up mode. How is this interesting? It's also hypocritical of them when they spent an entire generation shitting on BC and how "that's not what our players want" only to come out and say "okay yeah they all have BC and people like it, so we caved and did it too but only for ps4."
Where did Microsoft confirm specs in the the next Xbox? And if you're going to make a claim, make sure you have all of the details. The article reports bc with at least PS4.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
It wasn't a reveal, it was a look at what they were doing for the PlayStation of tomorrow. They were very smart about it, making it sound like it was some very advanced gaming console (8k ready, SSD, Ray tracing, etc) that probably wouldn't affect those in the market for a cheaper gaming experience like the PS4.

I applaud them for having the confidence to talk about their next gen console vision so early though.

Oct 31, 2017
😅 Sorry my post came off that way but I I didn't mean it exactly like that. I know the Xbox All Digital isn't a major part of MS' future strategy for next gen and I'm sure Sony doesn't view it as a threat. It's just that I feel it was smart of them to still steal attention from MS and control the narrative in the way they did.

Sure MS will reveal their new console when they are ready too since they were the first to announce one last year. This time though they will be the ones having to steal attention back from Sony's reveal, and Sony revealed enough to keep people excited but didn't reveal enough to ruin the mystery of their next gen console, and that will be tricky for MS to do.

Dlacy13g

Oct 27, 2017
California, USA
I don't know... I feel like the PS4 event reveal was as stroke of genius... it took all the wind out of the reveal for Xbox and was public enough that gamers everywhere got hyped. This felt a bit muted, confident mind you but muted and low key...which is really odd unless one of two: maybe PS5 really is farther off than most think and 2021 is the real window? So Sony wants to be in the mix by bringing this to light but they don't have more specifics to give? OR they just wanted to get this out now so once Xbox announces they will already be part of the conversation including Google and can do a response full reveal after the MS showcase? Personally I would have thought they would have done exactly what they did with the PS4 since that worked really well.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

MS has been driving discussion for their next-gen plans for the past 9 months via all the controlled leaks. A lot of them are very strategic in nature, reflected at their high-level business plans, intent to support as much platforms as possible, etc. Stuff that they're already doing this gen, but will be fully accelerated next-gen.

The difference, I would say - is that while MS were willing to share a lot of deets regarding their next-gen plans, the stuff that Sony shared with WIRED were stuff Xbox explicitly did not put out as part of their controlled leaks for the simple reason that MS wanted it to be part of their E3 (along with games and all that jazz)

Like, Sony instead chose the complete opposite approach, where they dropped the tidbits of their next-gen console ( without revealing the raw numbers ) and choose to keep mum on any business level plans.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
So they copied all the same promises and features their competitors already have or promised long ago and are in full catch-up mode. How is this interesting?

Interesting. Can you source and compare what Sony has copied? Did Microsoft publicly talk about next gen components?

It's also hypocritical of them when they spent an entire generation shitting on BC and how "that's not what our players want" only to come out and say "okay yeah they all have BC and people like it, so we caved and did it too but only for ps4."

This is completely false.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I don't know... I feel like the PS4 event reveal was as stroke of genius... it took all the wind out of the reveal for Xbox and was public enough that gamers everywhere got hyped. This felt a bit muted, confident mind you but muted and low key...which is really odd unless one of two: maybe PS5 really is farther off than most think and 2021 is the real window? So Sony wants to be in the mix by bringing this to light but they don't have more specifics to give? OR they just wanted to get this out now so once Xbox announces they will already be part of the conversation including Google and can do a response full reveal after the MS showcase? Personally I would have thought they would have done exactly what they did with the PS4 since that worked really well.
I believe it's the latter. Google has made their plans public and Microsoft is expected to follow up. Sony wanted to make sure they're in the conversation with their direct competitor.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

I meant no offense. Your articles and choice of words are a bit too slanted for my taste. All the power to you if you, or anyone wants to fanboy over a brand, but I'm less inclined to take those opinions serious since there's a heavy bias in it.

A lot of people do not want to concede that. There has been a narrative going on for a while that Xbox was going to come roaring into nextgen and crush Sony (a little hyperbolic, but not much) because they felt that Sony's decisions and relative silence the last year means they have gotten "Arrogant" or some other bullshit and will rest on their laurels next gen.

Having this stuff confirmed, the PS5 being more of the same but better, the PS5 being backwards compatible, the PS5 being no hardware slouch, and Sony taking the reigns on the discourse for next gen shatters that narrative.

No one was saying the next Xbox was going to crush the PS5. The PS5 information doesn't really change anything since no reasonable person was expecting Sony to heavily drop the ball by repeating a PS3/XBO-level mistake.

I'm curious how you even came to this scenario in your head.

While I agree that MS has driven the discussion so far, I wouldn't count leaks or rumors as part of that discussion. If it didn't come from MS, they are driving any part of the discussion.

Oct 31, 2017
You mean we've known about the Scarlet through rumored leaks. MS hasn't come out in any fashion to talk about the capabilities of their next gen console(s). All we've got from them is confirmation that they are working on something for next gen which is pretty much a given. I don't see how you can conclude that they've been controlling the narrative based on that alone.

Last edited:

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
They released specs of a highly anticipated machine in a very controlled piece. It's a great way to build momentum and hype for their product. Very smart place to do it, too, in Wired, a publication that is very tech focused.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
It's a bold move. Microsoft can now easily outperform the PS5 specs wise and we know MS won't release a weak console ever again.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sony have the market share and that matters as peoples digital pruchases will keep them on the platform they have right now, that is not starting at 0. I don't see MS increasing their market share by huge amount compared to what they have now.

For Sony the job is alot easier they pretty much have the rest of the world, they just gotta to focus on the US to keep/increase their market share, whilst for ms the it is alot harder as people outside the US don't really see the Xbox as compelling and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
What has Microsoft shared about scarlet other than best console out of the gate?

The fact that it existed at all. That was all they needed to do. And now Sony had to do this. They couldn't just say PS5 is coming. Their silence and other actions drummed up too many theories and conspiracies. They addressed BC, which MS set a standard for this gen and already said is the rule going forward. They addressed power sort of, which MS already committed to with the One X. They quelled fears, while as I keep saying, not really saying anything. Sure PS5 will be strong but how strong? It will have BC with PS4 but what about everything else? Like other desperately needed network and service features? We don't even know if it will have a 4K Blu-ray player that the Pro should've had. They matched what we already know about the next Xbox. That's really it in my eyes.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Felt more desperate to be honest. They caught industry rumblings of what MS has planned and decided to hastily put together some info in an attempt to wow impressionable gamers.

The BC news, for example, that's the least people should expect and yet it's treated like a fantastic move by Sony.

No. What Sony should be talking about, is what MS has been doing for the last few years, multiple generational BC through hardware.

If they still offer PS3 BC, throw that on streaming as part of Plus, but PS1, PS2 hardware BC should be there as standard and offer upgrades similar to those MS offers with their BC titles.

Any less is embarrassing on Sony's part.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Come back to us when the final hardware is on a plate because it's not gonna be exactly what was said on paper. It never is.
Cerny's the one who gave the info not a leaker. He's the engineer in the trenches leading the team making the actual hardware. And if it's indeed coming in 2020 it seems obvious he's almost certainly settled on the component details of what's going to be in the box aside from any bumps they might be able to do due to timing, like the ram bump the ps4 got due to timing making it possible.

Sony is kind of driving the discussion. They know how people respond by paying attention to social media and various discussion forums/groups such as this. I think this was a smart play. E3 shouldn't be a requirement for revealing a new console, given the dynamics of how people react to and discuss new information online today (and also how something like this shapes our opinions). Sony basically enlarged and then grabbed the hype wave by the arm by doing this, and arguably have more power over it and the impact of the discussion opposed to just doing an old fashioned E3-like reveal.

They can now focus on some kind of event where they go way more in depth on the console and its offerings.
Yup.

Last edited:

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
An amazing marketing strategy. It's people is talking about, Sony is really on the driving seat of the conversation here

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bold move. Microsoft can now easily outperform the PS5 specs wise and we know MS won't release a weak console ever again.
I'd imagine they're less concerned about Microsoft this go around, what with MS's focus on services and streaming, which isn't something Sony has focused on much in its messaging.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
With the PS5, Sony is planning to reenter a marketplace that's in a constant state of flux, with no stated plans to do anything but offer more of the same.
What ?
Sony does run the risk of bringing a machine to market that's "just" a traditional games console, when other major players are focusing on redefining how games are played.
Xbox One initial marketing campaign was about redefining how games were played. Innovation for the sake of innovation does not "just work".

However, it's also coming up to bat in a video game industry that's in a greater state of flux than normal. Google's streaming service Stadia promises to put serious marketing and programming muscle behind cloud-based gaming in a way that can't help but change the landscape around it. Microsoft already has a streaming service of its own, as well as new initiatives such as the Xbox One All-Digital Edition, the All Access program, and bringing the Xbox Live experience to its competitors' platforms.

Sony does run the risk of bringing a machine to market that's "just" a traditional games console, when other major players are focusing on redefining how games are played.
This guy never heard of PsNow??
PsVR ?

Last edited:

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one was saying the next Xbox was going to crush the PS5. The PS5 information doesn't really change anything since no reasonable person was expecting Sony to heavily drop the ball by repeating a PS3/XBO-level mistake.

I'm curious how you even came to this scenario in your head.
You haven't been paying attention then.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha... the casual nature of the reveal of PS5 seems to have shook some of you to the soul.

Yes they were... they absolutely were. We've been inundated with "MS poised to dominate next gen" rhetoric for at least the past year. Plenty of people drank that kool aid hard, so this is likely proving to be a bit of a wake-up call for them.

Last edited:

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when people were disappointed they didn't reveal the box when they announce the PS4. How much does that matter today? We will get everything in time, what they talked about in the interview is perfectly fine for a console coming sometime next year. At least now devs can say their games are coming to the next gen PlayStation and we know all our shit from PS4 will carry over.

Nov 11, 2017
I'm having difficulty reading the article since I'm cringing so hard to the Kaz as Hulkster pic.

Man people really love console companies that threw me off a bit

Why does this read like a pr thread instead of an informative discussion wtf lol. As far as the reveal.. it was ok they didnt provide nything outside of the architecture they're using which most already assumed. Biggest revelation probably was the ssd. Even ssd isn't really a surprise it's been an industry standard for some time

Deleted member 32309

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Sony fansite claims Sony's latest move was genius.

But jokes aside, it was a good move. Microsoft was "winning" the next-gen talks because:
  1. There wasn't basically any next-gen talk around Sony or Nintendo (not that Nintendo needs to talk about that yet)
  2. Microsoft's next-gen plan sounds great (more first party studios, full backwards compatibility, more power than the competition, xCloud, multiple SKUs, etc.)
With this, they showed some of their cards early and in an official way, confirming some of the stuff we were hoping for next-gen (ray-tracing and SSDs, among others), while also confirming they'll finally have proper backwards compatibility too - one of the things that could have potentially been a huge point in Microsoft's favour come next-gen.

feels more like what some call "surprises" is more "be gratefull competition is not dead".

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when people were disappointed they didn't reveal the box when they announce the PS4. How much does that matter today? We will get everything in time, what they talked about in the interview is perfectly fine for a console coming sometime next year. At least now devs can say their games are coming to the next gem PlayStation and we know all our shit from PS4 will carry over.
Yup.

Also including that our PSVR stuff (and the headset as well) will carry over, which is also awesome.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was a great move. And MS followed up by announcing a digital-only console that's more expensive than the one that can do digital and physical. Thumbs up.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Why would they reveal price and power to their competition so far out? They did the smart thing of just revealing enough to let 3rd parties to talk openly about it and letting their fans know that they will have a solid system and their games will carry over through Bc. They also threw out the buzzwords like 8k, Ray tracing etc... before ms does the same during their reveal at e3.
What does this matter? Sony said it first?
Ray tracing in video games have been talked about
Sony have the market share and that matters as peoples digital pruchases will keep them on the platform they have right now, that is not starting at 0. I don't see MS increasing their market share by huge amount compared to what they have now.

For Sony the job is alot easier they pretty much have the rest of the world, they just gotta to focus on the US to keep/increase their market share, whilst for ms the it is alot harder as people outside the US don't really see the Xbox as compelling and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
microsoft won last gen when it mattered, Sony caught up in the end but at that time Microsoft was still the one to beat.....until Mattrick happened.

Gamepass and X-Cloud will pick up the slack and right now they will the ones offering more avenues to experience next gen. (PC, multiple xbox's and mobile with x cloud). Right now Microsoft has the better services, Sony will have to step up there and offer competitive solutions.

Physical box sales won't be the only indicator of success next gen.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that it existed at all. That was all they needed to do. And now Sony had to do this. They couldn't just say PS5 is coming. Their silence and other actions drummed up too many theories and conspiracies. They addressed BC, which MS set a standard for this gen and already said is the rule going forward. They addressed power sort of, which MS already committed to with the One X. They quelled fears, while as I keep saying, not really saying anything. Sure PS5 will be strong but how strong? It will have BC with PS4 but what about everything else? Like other desperately needed network and service features? We don't even know if it will have a 4K Blu-ray player that the Pro should've had. They matched what we already know about the next Xbox. That's really it in my eyes.

They have revealed quite a bit more than MS has regarding the console itself. So I don't think it's fair to say they only matched it. They took a different approach than what MS has been doing and it was a smart move. Now the pressure will be on MS to produce a competitive product while also alleviating some of the concerns surrounding the PS5.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Hopefully some posters day gets a bit better. They seem really wound up and angry and that can't be good for the blood pressure.